Red Hood And The Outlaws #12 Sells Out. Is A Second Printing On The Way?

>I’m not saying it was just the cover to Red Hood And The Outlaws #12 that led it to sell out. But it may have been enough for many folk to pick it up, have a flick through, then add it to this week’s purchases. Either way, it has been reordered enough by retailers from Diamond Comic Distributors to see it sell out on the week of release. The cover reprises the famous Death Of Superman #75 black bag cover, though reversed to indicate the subject matter as Bizarro Superman instead. With the story titled “The Life Of Bizarro”. A poignant and heroic story, it has also resonated quite a degree with readers, and is DC Comics’ highest rated title this week on Comic Book Round Up, an average score of 9.1 from 111 reviews.

Normally this would be enough to see a second printing whipped up. But DC Comics prefer to use those on titles that they are more keen to promote. And Red Hood And The Outlaws has never really been one of those. Even when the current iteration of the book was announced in DC Rebirth with the stage presentation, even though the writer Scott lobdell was in the room, he wasn’t invited on stage as other creators were, and the book was skipped over with a series of “and other books coming out” slides rather than the on-stage interviews and announcements.

>It also comes at a time when Scott Lobdell’s star hasn’t been higher, with his movie Happy Death Day out for Friday the 13th in October, with its official trailer knocking up over 3.5 million views on YouTube.

>Though I prefer to refer to it as Groundhog Slay.

>But the whole situation reminds me a little of the film Moneyball. The idea that if you crunch the numbers you can find unappreciated talent whose work outperforms the appreciation that the employers and commissioners have for them. I think Red Hood And The Outlaws may have the potential to be one of those comic books.

>(Last Updated July 14, 2017 5:10 am )

Time to flood DC's social media to get more exposure for the book

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Death_Day
youtube.com/watch?v=1NTaDm3atkc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Glad to see a good series is selling well. I wish it was the case more often.

I unironically think that Red Hood And The Outlaws and Deathstroke are the best Rebirth series right now

>>It also comes at a time when Scott Lobdell’s star hasn’t been higher, with his movie Happy Death Day out for Friday the 13th in October, with its official trailer knocking up over 3.5 million views on YouTube.
What? Lobdell wrote a movie?

>I unironically think that Red Hood And The Outlaws and Deathstroke are the best Rebirth series right now
Seconded

Apparently, I didn't know either.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Death_Day

Best boy Jason deserves it

youtube.com/watch?v=1NTaDm3atkc

It's not the worst thing I've seen. I might torrent it when the DVD comes out

I've been a guy who typically prefers Marvel comics all my life, but Red Hood and the Outlaws is the first DC book I've ever bought.

It's just so much fun.

I'm glad it's doing well

fuck lobdell

the guy was considered once one of the hottest writers in the business

He turns everything he touch to shit, it's only a matter of time before rhato turns to shit as well.

His name is Scott.

Scott Lobdell.

He's a writer, a terrible one at that.

Go Red Hood!

And DC, promote this book you freaking incompetent fools!

Worst Fag Jason fools everyone again

You have been saying this since issue 1. I think it's time for you to stop.

Jason deserves all good things.

I have recently discovered that RHATO is literally the least advertised DC book. So yeah, they are indeed incompetent fools.

How did Lobdell do it Sup Forums? Red Hood and the Outlaws was one of the shittiest books in the whole New 52 alongside Teen Titans which Lobdell also wrote. How did he turn everything around and made Red Hood and the Outlaws one of the best books in Rebirth?

editorial shortleash

Who would've guessed that Bizarro would be one of the best things about the book?

thirded

N52 RHATO wasn't really bad to be honest and was actually quite enjoyable until Tynion take over.

Lobdell has always been a good writer, but n52 editors were very controlling and screw up everything. In Rebirth, they have given Lobdell more freedom to do whatever he wants which is why he was able to deliver a great book.

Oh, man. I remember a few years ago when everyone here was shitting on Lobdell. No one ever said anything nice to him except when someone mentions Generation X. How times have changed.

on the contrary, he's doing good because editors are now keeping a closer eye on him

Dude, stop trolling.

His editors in n52 were literally breathing down his neck and even changed things behind his back. Lobdell was actually planning to leave after RH/A, but Johns was the one who convinced him to stay.

i hope Bizarro will not die :(
i love him

Not that guy but I'm curious, was this revealed in an interview or Q&A?

Solicits already confirmed he lives, so SuperLex is probably going to fix him

thank you :)

In an interview.

>no Morrison
Then again he was only doing Invisibles and maybe Doom Patrol at that point.

Link?

As you can see, OP, most people agree with you.

It's seriously embarrassing how NRS done a better job in promoting and pushing Red Hood in one month than DC did in the last ten years. Like, what's their problem with Red Hood?

>Like, what's their problem with Red Hood?
This is the million dollar question that I don't think we will ever find out the answer to, my dude.

I remember that we have a discussion here a year and a half ago about what DC should do with him and someone said that Red Hood can be a cash cow if DC just bothered themselves to push him and promote him in comics. I2 Red Hood made me realize how true what he said.

I'm convinced that Waid has always looked liked a 50 year old man and shit, how old was Ennius when this picture was taken?

You are not the only one because I think this too.

The writers just don't want to develop Red Hood as a character. Which is a shame because him and Damian would get along in an Ed WunclerIII/Riley Freeman kind of way

I can't believe my current favorite ongoing involves Jason Todd, Artemis, and a fucking Bizarro.

And, judging by the last page of the most recent issue, the next one is going to be full of Lex Luthor's "BUT HE WAS *MY* MONSTER" feels which were honestly the best part of that entire villains vs Earth 2 event.

>Stefan Petrucga

One of these things is not like the others one of these things doesn't belong

Man, fuck Wizard. They were shameless Marvel shills before it was cool. Remember that whole stupid "WE KNEW ALL ABOUT THE SENTRY BEING FAKE THE WHOLE TIME WE WERE JUST PLAYING ALONG HA HA HA REALLY YOU GUYS!"

So, either they were easily manipulated idiots who fell for a stupid gimmick and were trying to cover their asses or they actually were in on it the whole time and literally decided to say "fuck the reader, this is too sweet a marketing gimmick to pass on."

Either way, I'm glad they're dead.

>The writers just don't want to develop Red Hood as a character.

The fuck you think Lobdell has been doing the last six years?

Was Mark Waid born middle-aged?

do you mean earth 3 as in forever evil or is there some mad shit ive missed

Morrison is at fault. Red Hood's popularity was primarily established when the UtRH film came out. At that point Morrison had nabbed him for B&R and the Red Hood concept goes against pretty much everything Morrison champions in superheroes. So we got villain with good twitter game Red Hood followed by Wingman. Prior to that, while he had the shitty Nightwing arc and Battle for the Cowl, his character and concept were more or less stable. Basically, he was interesting in his debut and the few stories, writers had no idea what to do with him after that, his debut got streamlined and put in a wider market, but his primary mechanism of appearance featured essentially an in-name-only version. It also didn't help that when the Nu52 dropped you had Lobdell and Morrison using two different versions of the same character.

Actually, Morrison't Wingman Jason works better with Lobdell's take than his own

Man. I'm already reading eight books that I'm enjoying but looks like I'm gonna have to add RHATO and New Superman if they're that good and need the the support.

Sacrificing himself for the greater good by trying to develop Red Hood as a character.

Ennis started writing when he was very young, at age 16 or something. He was probably ~25 when this was taken, since Hitman started in 1996, and this mentions that it is coming up soon

RHATO is doing okay, not spectacularly (~26k). NSM could definitely use the support though (just shy of 14k in May).

Would buying the NSM trade even help?

NSM had a new solicit out after the current arc, so it's probably another case of keeping it around for the credit and keep Yang around like how DiDio kept All Star Western around, only with Jim Lee instead

If you have the means, why not

The problem isn't with the writers not developing him (because Lobdell has been doing a great job with him), the problem with DC not promoting him.

It's really weird how character as popular as Red Hood is getting a zero push from DC.

A book with 0 advertisement manged to sells out. Very impressive.

>eight books
Shit, I wish I could cut back that much. I think my pull's about to hit 50.

I seriously don't get why DC doesn't put a better writer on Jason and actually promote him.
Casual comic readers and people who don't read comics clearly like him considering how loud they were regarding Injustice, and he's been a couple popular things (his movie, arkham knight)
They've been keeping his book around and they shoved him in other books so clearly DC wants him around.

They've been doing this with Dick for years too.
Both are clearly popular characters but they keep putting mediocre writers on their books and having the books be middling and/or fucked up by crossovers.
ffs, Nightwing sells almost as much as Harley now yet his book is frankly treated more poorly than hers

>Nightwing sells almost as much as Harley now yet his book is frankly treated more poorly than hers
This not impressive dude because Harley has been doing worse than before.

Best team

Yep, Wingman was basically post UTRH Jason, way, way more than B&R.

Sure: it shows that there's a fanbase that could buy it.

They are indeed best team and best trinity.

It baffles me that Dick gets treated the way he does. Oh hey people seem to like sexy world hoping agent Dick. Leta shove him back in shithaven andvstart up Dickbabs again. Just why?

That helps my point tho
Harley is doing worse than before and Harley and DIck are selling the same yet Harley is getting shilled left and right.

IIRC with the crossover with Metal and the Bird of Prey crossover, Dick's book will also be the most interrupted Rebirth book.
And then Harley got backups by Dini that weren't shit which was nice.

Lobdell is doing well with the book, and looks like he has some plan for it. Don't change the writer so soon: changing teams sometimes is not the best way to improve a book. Sometimes the team just needs time to build up the narrative.

>Spending around $200 a month on comics
How do you even find that many series?

Harley's comics might not be doing gangbusters, but she's still insanely popular in other media and merchandise. In terms of money, comics are almost an afterthought

I agree that red hood is one of the better series in rebirth, but I also think it's just alright. Rebirth right now has a lot of "ok"

Dick getting shit on is nothing new. He ggets used to boost other characters and editorial wont let Seeley leave Bludhaven.

I've got books from seven different publishers. To be fair, about twenty of them are minis, likely to be canceled soon, rarely come out, or have hiatuses after every arc.

Harley is getting shilled left and right because she is wayyyyyyy more popular than Nightwing with casuals and she brings money with her merch and it's not like DC is doing nothing with nightwing because he is getting a mini coming next month. His situation is nothing like Red Hood.

Because that's what his most vocal of fans want.

Even a lot of people that liked Grayson wanted it to be temporary and for him to go back to being Nightwing soon.

> Gets a mini about being a facist

DC should be pushing him better is all.

This. Despite Red Hood’s popularity with the casuals, DC has never shilled him.

Boon himself said that Red Hood was literally the most requested character by far and the response they got over him was the biggest than they ever got over a DC character.

>vocal Cap fans hate Cap being a nazi
>DC decides to make a mini about a character with a vocal fanbase being a fascist

Like I know Higgins said he thought of it a long time ago but that seems poorly thought out

But its so freaking boring. The non Bludhaven stuff sells well too, so Im hopimg DC sees that.

>Boon himself said that Red Hood was literally the most requested character by far and the response they got over him was the biggest than they ever got over a DC character
Seriously? Because wow.

The worst part is that vocal doesnt mean good or sells well. But somebody at DC really loves the 90 Nightwing

Doesn't suprise me because Jason has a massive following and only DC who still don't seem to realize how popular he is.

They absolutely are.

he's arguably the second most influential X-writer ever
and Generation X was one of the most fun comics of the 90s
Lobdell is probably better than your favorite writer

I'm happy to see my boy doing so well.

Garth Ennis looks like a baby

>voted to be killed off
>come back more popular than ever
Nice

Why DON'T they capitalize on him? They get monies fans get Hood, win-win

Editorial is retarded

>But DC Comics prefer to use those on titles that they are more keen to promote. And Red Hood And The Outlaws has never really been one of those.
No shit. I literally don't think the series has been promoted once since Rebirth. With it's quality and accessibility it could be doing much better sales wise if DC actually helped it out.

He really does.

>I seriously don't get why DC doesn't put a better writer on Jason
But Lobdell has been doing great since Rebirth. This literally may be the greatest Jason run in history.

Hey now, he's had some great ones while Robin

I swear one day I'm going to get so drunk I'll write an essay on how this series is a metaphor about struggling parents trying their hardest to raise their mentally challenged child.

I haven't rebirth and anything new 52 of Deathstroke, is there anything to read before getting into rebirth? I always saw him as a villain.

Its like a Pedophile watchlist

I'd say it's cause Dan Didio hates Dick, and probably Jason too for similar reasons.

Its a mix. New52 was top down editorial control -editors set the story, the writers worked around it. RHatO is them both working together, pulling in the same direction.

Absolutely. Super Sons is pretty great too

They shouldn't fire Lobdell, people like the book because as cliche as it is, it's just well done superheroics with a few good characters. This is the best Jason.