Wonder Woman Holding Better Than Any Superhero Movie in 15 Years

>Word of mouth is a wondrous thing.

>Look no further than Warner Bros. and DC's Wonder Woman. The summer blockbuster boasts the best hold of any superhero film in more than 15 years at the North American box office, where even the most successful summer tentpoles can catch a case of sunstroke and retreat to the shade rather quickly amid so much competition. Wonder Woman is the unusual exception.

>Directed by Patty Jenkins and starring Gal Gadot, Wonder Woman is still going strong as it heads into its seventh week. The movie, grossing $371.3 million through Tuesday, is now assured of topping out at $390 million or more domestically, becoming the No. 8 comic book adaptation of all time, not accounting for inflation. And it will soon pass Disney and Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($385.8 million) in North America to become the top summer earner.

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-box-office-superhero-movies-1020621

"not accounting for inflation" is a very big deal

I honestly don't understand how its doing so well. It was okay, but the third act was a complete mess. The Ares fight was borderline non-sensical.

women are strongest box office demographic now. Which is why properties like starwars were retooled for women in mind, even if it didn't work.

it explains legs of movie completely.

>in North America
wow it's nothing

People think this is a genuinely different blockbuster for some reason.

>The Ares fight was borderline non-sensical.
The Ares fight was what comic books are all about. Literally why the fuck are you on this board?

Ares being a let down doesn't erase the rest being a solid superhero story.

Wait, it's been 15 years since superhero movie blockbusters have been dominating the box office?
Fifteen years?
Really?

yoU MEaN u wErE LYinG?

Nuh uh!

Ghostbusters 2016 was best comic movie of all time, only MRA weenies disagree!

Thanks to Sup Forums. They said it would flop at the box office and forgot that being always wrong is their superpower.

>not adjusted for inflation
>Murrica only

OK. I liked the movie, but this is not news. It's self congratulatory masturbation.

Can you say "virtue signalling"

wtf i love women now

>becoming the No. 8 comic book adaptation of all time, not accounting for inflation.
So, it's nothing then?

Its the first goddamn WW movie, and its not half bad. Its also directed by a female.

If you want a proper comparison, it is basically the closest approximation of the Richard Donner Superman. Giving Diana a voice and proper impression to the mainstream. Everyone knew about Wonder Woman through the Carter series, iconography and merch, but now people get to really see her in a fleshed out way outside geek culture. And possibly start to appreciate her in a more committed way.

>women are strongest box office demographic now.
How is possible when they only "make 70 cents on the dollar"?
THESE BITCHES BE STEALIN MONEY FO MOVIE TICKETS

>women are strongest box office demographic now

Or maybe the idea that men won't go see movies starring women is fucking stupid and always has been.

There's literally nothing else worth seeing right now for people who just want a popcorn movie that you don't need to think too hard while watching.

TFA. 70 percent of the repeat viewers were white men. (2015)

I have no idea where the concept even came from.

Then again people tried to argue that people didn't want female superhero movies because Catwoman and Elektra flopped, as though the fact that those movies were unwatchable had no bearing on the box office.

I guess it's a good thing Blade was such a big hit or the studios would be pulling that same shit with black heroes.

>Steel failed? Clearly no one wants black heroes ever gain shut them all down

>Not adjusted for inflation
>In America only
Look, I get this is a big deal but report actual records not this shit

Yea this is a genuine shock. It is one of the worst super hero movies ever made but its doing quite well.

So I guess that's that, but I have a genuine question. For all of those who "enjoyed" this movie.

If it was revealed in time to come that a majority of the ticket sales were bought by WB or their affiliates, would you believe it or say " no it was kino?"

I guess im the looney one here, and i accept it. Im genuinely baffled by this not flopping as bad as say, catwoman since it is on the same level of that movie.

What an amazing time to be alive.

Because womyn

Trips confirm.

woman gets 70 cents for every dollar a man makes. Which means the man is only left with 30.

Anyone ever notice how quick these threads die? Anyone else notice how the only threads for WW are about how its making money but very rarely about the actual movie?

What gives? Its doing so well but there arent people here on Sup Forums keeping the threads alive and with a 100+ replies?

This is why i dont buy it. Even homecoming which seems to have gotten lukewarm response from the public has a bunch of movie related threads, or talking about holland spiderman in comparison to other spideys.

All WW threads are about money. Fuck. Why? Where are you "fans"?

Here's your (You) bucko

I think it's because while it does have flaws the flaws are pretty well recognized by both the people who do like it and the people who don't which means there isn't going to be much ongoing debate about it.

Compared to like Man of Steel and Batman v Superman which has people who hail them as the second coming of Jesus Christ in movie form and people who think every single frame is a sin against God himself. That sort of extreme opinion difference is what drives discussion, people like to talk about things they hate on Sup Forums.

Wonder Woman was a pretty good movie, nothing stellar, nothing abysmal. It had some pretty good parts but it also had some bad parts. But those bad parts aren't as up for debate as other movies which turns the the evaluation to "I think the good parts made up for the bad parts" rather than "I think the things you say are bad parts are actually really great parts".

Oh hey, thanks man, i guess im not the only person here. Its strange isnt it?

I mean you figure there'd be people, saying things about this movie..but.nothing. and then when someone DOES respond, its some shmuck being sarcastic handing out (you)s.

Superhero movies are trash
end thread

>Anyone ever notice how quick these threads die?

The only threads that last about cape movies are BvS shitposting argument kino rage orgies.

>m-muh worldwide
studio only gets 25%, all the shitskins that love spider-man are irrelevant

It wasn't amazing or even great. It was good, tjough. Nothing stood out as awful.
WW is one of the most iconic characters on earth despite no one even reading the comics. That's an incredible feat and all the movie had to be was good enough.

Because it's been a month since the movie released. I mean, we still talk about Man of Steel and BvS because regardless of your opinions of those movies, they're divisive. There weren't many threads for Guardians of The Galaxy vol. 2 about a month after its release because it's not a very divisive movie. Same with WW. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't put it past WB to inflate the shit outta BO numbers. But your reasoning for them doing it is so circumstantial.

Even my hardcore feminist female friend thought it was "just okay". I don't know who's trying to meme this movie as some kind of masterpiece.

The truth is, Homecoming is a far more divisive film because Spider-man fans have each a very particular perspective on the character. Only Batman, Superman and Spider-man can cause this level of discussion.

Critics like it because its an overall well made film, but the creative decisions made have deeply divided the fanbase. Even Reddit is split on the middle with it.

Wonder Woman doesn't have that, and instead is just a very wholesome film about good vs evil. Its actually playing very well with families compared to Homecoming which is attracting more of the fanboy crowd.

GOTG2 also played well with families, too.

That's true, Wonder Woman has no previous Wonder Woman movies to be compared to, no one has a present cinematic vision of Wonder Woman and the one portrayed in this movie were relatively inoffensive. Then you have Spider-Man which has had 5 movies over the last 16 or so years. Much more entrenched fanboys for that.

1999 was 50 years ago.

I can see your rationale, and i guess that makes sense. Because most people think its just "alright" at most, they kinda just dont care to discuss it.

Yea im just thinking out loud really, i mean i can see WB and whoever putting their money on the line to boost sales numbers but its not like im saying its a fact. Pure speculation.

15 minutes hardly qualifies as an entire third act. And how was it nonsensical? It was just a typical brawl.

But 'Murrica is the most important box office since the studios profit half of the money, it goes directly to their pockets, China's BO is just a bonus since the commies take most of the money, that's the reason why it's difficult for the Terminator: Genesys and Warcraft sequels to be green-lit, the studios aren't so sure about if they want to spend Blockbuster-level budgets in movies only Chinese people will like.

Also good taste Keijo!!!!!!! is underrated

Sup Forums threads are about constant complaining. We focus on hate not love. That's why TDKR discussion would never end. There isn't much to hate about Wonder Woman so it's all quiet here.

>wonderplank

As someone who works in a movie theater, its still here in theaters (small theater so movies come and go quickly, for instance we already removed The House) and its always women going in to see it still in big parties, whether it be just two women or 4 women and a bunch of little girls. The movie remains very popular.

Baby Driver.

>"not accounting for inflation" is a very big deal
Shut up Dobson

No but seriously I don't watch movies about black people because they aren't relatable

I can relate to nigs just fine.
Women on the other hand.

>nonsensical
Ares himself. I was expecting his human form to be a disguise and his voice would become deeper, more menacing as his body gained muscle mass. But no, that's really what he looks like as they attest in his flashback. You honestly expect me to believe the Greek God of War is some pasty-faced, turkey necked loser?

Yea, that was why Chris Pine and the others were in the film. You were supposed to relate to Chris Pine, not Wondy

>WW is both lauded and hated by feminists.
>Some like it for the girl power.
>Some hate it because she was to skinny
>Some more hate it because she was too white
>Just as many hate that she wasn't a lesbian
You can never win...

The only thing that I watched of this move was that scene where WW gets the shit machinegunned out of her by a German First Word War machine gun nest and then goes on to kick all of their asses like they're goosestepping Nazis.

I didn't like that. Might have to do with the fact that I am German, but when we're the bad guys in your movies (again) at least make us look badass while being so.

>Baby Driver.

To be fair it looks like it's one of those movies people tend to avoid because it gives them the impression of being a quirky indie movie they won't enjoy at all, the name itself sounds ridiculous, so they choose to watch a franchise movie or a flick starring the Rock or Adam Sandler again because it doesn't threatens their taste "safe zone", if I recall correctly there was an article about it, people would rather watch a Transformers or Pirates sequel even if it gets bad reviews than to try watching an unproven concept, but I guess it happens with all media.

Fortunately it's doing well enough in the BO though it deserves even more money in my opinion.

Despite blanket statements made about feminists, they are actually not very united, and disagree on everything. 'Feminism' is basically a non-word at this point that can mean anything from 'classical liberal' in regards to sex equality all the way to those chicks that have been living on a female only commune since the 60s.

Sargon of Akkad is a one-note hack.

stop hating on Sargon of Akkad

he is a hero to us all

>ahaha Wonder Woman won't even top the R-rated Deadpool. It didn't even have a china premier!
>*record scratch*

>Baby Driver
>War of the apes
>"nothing to watch! Wonder Woman has no competition"

Wonderroid

> (OP)
>I honestly don't understand how its doing so well.

Repeat views by people with an agenda.

Plus, this summer's movie fodder has been pretty terrible.

>Repeat views by people with an agenda.
Ghostbusters

I hope you're not expecting me to believe a single word they say about this. They're likely saying this at gunpoint to keep their jobs, because all it takes is a single sexism accusation and your career is gone.

They're not judging the movie just sharing the sales statistics, there is no reason to lie

And who do you think hold's the sales statistics?

Just like the article said, word of mouth. People were shocked that DC could make a decent super hero movie and as word spread more and more people decided to check it out.

Yeah, we should definitely let China, the country with the most awful fucking taste in movies, dictate what is and is not a success.

WW is kind of a superhero movie for normies, not that that's a bad thing. My parents and siblings could watch Wonder Woman and enjoy it, just like I could. There isn't much to talk about with Wondy, it's very straight forward. That's not a bad thing though when you can make a decent movie.
But it's different than Guardians 2 with all the cosmic Marvel references and silly humor aimed at our demographic. Even Spiderman has a bunch of references comic book readers are going to get and connections to other Marvel movies.

The only men who celebrate Unrealistically Competent Fictitious Female Characters are BETA MALES. You know the simps, the cucks, the emasculated well indoctrinated to accept this shit because they grew up with it in the 90s with Gurl Powah propaganda.

DC doesn't have any actual records

No one enjoyed it like said it's people with an agenda trying to make this piece of shit look more successful than it actually is be they womyn or DC retards who want these god awful cinematic abortions to keep getting made

>Spiderman
>Baby Driver
>War for the Planet of the Apes
Bullshit there's nothing else to watch

Baby Driver has the worst fucking name I can think of for a movie and is following Baby Boss. I know the movies are nothing alike but that was the first thing I thought of when I heard about it.
It's also got Kevin Spacey in the ads which is a sure fire way to keep people from seeing a movie as he seems to have completely forgotten how to act since the millenium.
On a third hand, it kind of looks like a dumb and shitty version of Drive which was a great movie and people still love it so the idea of seeing some kind of Michael Bay version turns everyone off.
This is all a shame because i've heard it's a good movie but I still have zero interest in seeing it.

spidey'll catch her..

and then get covered in monkey spunk when War of Apes comes out

maybe so , I'm so damn exited for apes! This might be the best one yet. but I thought we were talking about capeshit here.

If only it wasn't a completely mediocre movie that falls apart at the halfway point.

You dumb faggot daft retard.

Is this the MCU thread?

The very beginning and the very end is probably the worst part of the movie, but for most people I'm sure the success comes from:

>hey I know Wonder Woman, and now she has a movie that doesn't suck. Cool, I should see it.

i mean no not really

it's doing great and i'm happy for everybody involved but this bullshit is not something it needs

This was a really nice thing to do. Good on Fox/Ryan.

>If it was revealed in time to come that a majority of the ticket sales were bought by WB or their affiliates
Not really realistic; WB only gets back about half of the domestic ticket sales, the rest goes to the cinema. Not to mention tax and things (though hollywood accounting takes care of that)

It would be an incredible loss for WB and even the positive press wouldnt do shit for it.

The studio take is only that low in China. It's 40% on average. By comparison they only take home about 55% domestic anyway.

Oh my God you are like the worst human. It's a perfectly fine movie, it's not one of the top five superhero movies ever made, it's not a particularly smart film but it was better than Doctor Strange, better than half the X Men movies, probably better than Iron Man two and Three, better than Thor 2, better than every Spiderman movie besides 2 and Homecoming, better than half the Batman movies ever made. Better than every Transformers, GI Joe, Fast and Furious and other braindead action franchise movies. It was perfectly fine, don't be shitty.

>This is all a shame because i've heard it's a good movie but I still have zero interest in seeing it.
So no one should be taking what your saying seriously at all then right? Ok good. Moving on.

well most of their movies are huge losses especially this year so it's not that surprising

Steve Trevor was the real hero of Wonder Woman

Different strokes for different folks. To me, it looks incredibly unappealing. Like a crappy cross between Drive and a Tarantino movie only I'm going to have to listen to Kevin Spacey at some point. And it's got the worst title of all time. I understand to some people, they might not care about that shit and they'll like the movie. But to me, i have no desire to spend a few hours on the chance that I might like it.