Gerry Duggan's Guardians of the Galaxy

Duggan posted some teaser pics on his twitter, including this.

Dick Rider and Darkhawk incoming?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/68489r/comment/dgvlkn2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How's Chris gonna feel about his frat terrorizing the new Novas?

It's not Darkhawk, it's the Fraternity of Raptors character he's introduced already. You can see the fur collar.

Rich probably doesn't care about those guys, so I don't think Chris would have much of an opinion on them

by Mattina?

I'm sure that's for Legacy.

Nope, that guy has a completely different-looking helmet.

All of the elite Raptors (Duggan's called them Talons) are probably being given fur collars, and Chris is likely one of them.

Dammit, forgot image.

But yeah, two different characters, and the one paired with Rich there is more than likely Darkhawk.

Are we #TeamNova or #TeamRaptor, lads? Who do you want patrolling YOUR galaxy?

Chris has been mia for a while. He could just have a redesign.

I think Nova should be a one man operation, so if these wannabe mall cops get killed in droves, I'd be fine with that

Raptors are pricks, so I gotta side with the space cops on this one. Hope Chris makes out alright though.

Novas can be pricks too, though. The Raptors are just doing what's necessary to protect folks.

What, like assassinating people?

That was one member being a dick. The Raptors are totes legit now.

I think this seems to hint Rich actually is going to care a lot.

I like Chris more so #TeamRaptor

Fuck DnA for retconing his ongoing out of continuity

Last time Darkhawk was seen was in that crap Hopeless book wasn't it?

I'd still like an explanation on how both Phil Urich and Powell were able to get armors from the one crystal though it's about as likely as seeing Evilhawk and Overhawk again.

So rich and darhawk join the gaurdians.

I'd be happy if they replaced Drax and Gamora frankly.

I think they're just getting involved in the Nova/Raptor conflict. So becoming part of the book, but not becoming part of the team.

I can imagine the raptors might come after Rich as well, but I doubt he cares that much about the new guys.
They seem like mall cops trying be more that are in over their heads. They have no relation to Rich or Xandar. It'd be nice if he weighed in on them

They must have some relation to Xandar, as it's been confirmed they've got members with Nova Force. We don't know yet who actually started the Corps back up again.

I'm pretty sure they said they're all powerless

We need another Guardians team without all the movie Guardians at the same time.

No one likes you. Fuck off.

Nope.

reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/68489r/comment/dgvlkn2

>The truth is somewhere in the middle. Some of these Novas will be flying punching "classic MU" some will not - some are support. Some are science officers. Not every US soldier can fast rope out of a copter and hit targets at a 1000 yards. that's how we're conceiving the Novas. The ones with the nova force are "swat". Much is clarified in year one.

How exactly is there a Nova Corps, when there's no Worldmind and Nova Force to empower them?

They aren't even the real Nova Corps if I remember correctly. Don't even have access to the Nova Force and rely on rifles.

Gerry Duggan is a good writer? I like both Dick n' Chris and i don't want to see they in wrong hands.

They're nothing like the original ones.
They're made to be closer to what was in the MCU and act more as antagonists towards the guardians, since they're supposed to be a bunch of outlaws now.
I'm pretty sure that when Duggan is off GotG, nobody will ever reference these guys

I thought everyone was praising Duggan for how his GotG MCU synergy was only skin deep? Goddamnit, is there *nothing* MCU Synergy Cancer won't infect?

Literally two posts above you says they do. The same way that Rich has the Nova Force even after being cut off from Worldmind in the last issue of his and Sam's book. They've found some other way to access it, I guess.

from what i have read of duggan is that it takes a while to get good and he is very hit and miss. honestly the whole soul GEMstone thing isn't grabbing me at all...

That is highly doubtful without any asspull. Worldmind and Nova Prime are the Nova Force. You ain't getting access to it unless they allow it. Black Nova are a different story since their Nova Force are tied directly with their helmets. Either they created a new Nova Force or they are accessing it directly from a Black Nova helmet.

I don't think Loveness knew what he was talking about in this page
Maybe Rich found a way to take everything with him and just didn't mention it?

Rich would care about a bunch of newbs coming in and taking the corps' name and fucking with whatever small favorable rep the Xandar corps have.

He probably would just come in and weed out the weak and leave some strong Novas standing in their place.

#TeamNewWarriora

That way I get Rich and Chris! The Fraternity and the other Novas can fuck off.

B-but the DnAfags tell me they don't retcon anything

Wonder what would happen if they give Rich a Black Nova helmet to replace the portion of the Nova Force that he lost to Worldmind. Would he be capable of reaching Nova Prime level again if he combine the 2 Nova Forces?

autism

I doubt he'd be as strong as he was then. I'd like to know how he kept any of the Nova Force.
I also wonder how he's doing since he needed vast quantities of it in order to not die

Isn't his brother Robbie still missing in space? What if he joined the Raptors?

Maybe Chris, Rich has always been pretty eh about joining the Guardians even mentioned to Gamora (and I think Phyla) that he was too busy for it.

He never seemed much of a team guy once he became Nova Prime, he wasn't too into the new recruits idea and he was a reserve member with Cap's Secret Avengers.

Of course Peter and Gamora would love to have him with them.

He was back on earth at the end of Thanos Imperative. Duggan didn't know that, so he said Robbie went missing.

Pretty sure Raptors going after Rich is what makes the Guardians get involved, he's important to Gamora and Peter and to an extent he's important to Drax as well.

I mean Drax and Gamora joined the Guardians because Rich asked them to and he suggested them to Peter. That counts as something.

>I'd be happy if they replaced Drax and Gamora frankly.
>Gamora
Nah, Duggan is actually putting some work into her. I actually want to see where he's going with that first.

True, that's more than you can say of... well, pretty much every writer except Starlin and Perlman.

Nova Prime helmet is back yessss bitches!

So is the World Mind still in the cancerverse?

And why did I feel like they forgot that the worldmind was rebooted with the new personality of that one girl who became a nova before dying? It felt like it was the old worldmind back.

Seeing that panel out of context is pretty gay.

>I also wonder how he's doing since he needed vast quantities of it in order to not die
Nope. He just need to have Nova Force inside his body in order to continue. The quantity doesn't matter.

It didn't even act like the old Worldmind (bossy and a bit of a stern and strict father figure, even Rich accidentally on ocassions would call it dad when arguing with WM because Rich has dad issues with Charles Rider).

Honestly we didn't get much about how Worldmind was before it went all batshit crazy HAL and obsessive and it was acting like a crazy jilted ex who wanted to forcibly get back together. The only thing we got was it begging Rich not to leave it when Rich was leaving the Cancerverse for the first time.

I thought this is why the 07 Novas had different ranks with varying powerlevels.

THe one stars were the staff/communications but they were still in the one ton range.

War of Kings took the 90's Darkhawk who was very street level at best and made him into a fucking Annihilus fighting powerhouse that can dance around Vulcan with ease.

I think the new Raptors with their massive list of new powers can take the non-powered Novas without much of a problem.

The satellite was replaced with interdimensional crystal stasis. They retconned lots.

Too bad he did Jack all of shit except get his body hijacked and commit assassination after the Bomb blew.

Sounds like Duggan's making the Talons, the Raptors' 13 most poweful members, into the equivalent of Nova Force users. He's compared both to SWAT.

So did they retcon it down to only 13 of them have the form shifting, dimension hopping, weapon conjuring, giant bird forcefiend powers. while the rest are mooks on the level of the mall cop Novas?

Chris got his ass kicked in by non powered Macendale Hobgoblin and nearly killed by Tombstone. He just plain sucks at doing things.

You do realize 90s Darkhawk was basically Spider-Man, but with a mom and brother right? He wasn't super "theoretically" overpowered like he became in War of Kings, and then got his ass beat during that stupid Tribunal War shit that he was dragged into.

Wish I could find that panel where Talon and Razor are lamenting how easy it was to kill Catastrophus, and the lords of the negative zone used to be a challenge.

Their reconfigure forms can tank Vulcan and Blastaar, not sure much short of a Nova Prime can handle an army of those guys.

>So did they retcon it down to only 13 of them have the form shifting, dimension hopping, weapon conjuring, giant bird forcefiend powers. while the rest are mooks on the level of the mall cop Novas?
Probably. Gamora's fighting a couple here.

>reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/68489r/comment/dgvlkn2
If they are on the same level as 90's Darkhawk that might work. Then they are just bots on Spiderman's strength level.

It feels like Duggan is trying very hard to make something good out of the mess Bendis left him, but is forced to drag the ball and chain that is Marvel's insistence on SYNERGY and DIVERSITY behind him.

Marvel be synergizing so much that they're starting to put the synergy in the wrong comics

Duggan also posted this.

Wonder if it has anything to do with their new member, who's been described as "a stowaway."

BUT

WHENS

PHYLA

No one cares about the fuck-up.

I agree. Not the same.

She won't come back for awhile

I'm actually reading through the original Darkhawk series right now, and its pretty good so far. What's this I hear that DnA retconned stuff about it though?

The entire origin in #25, all the null space supporting characters and the last 3 story arcs no longer exist.

Wow. That's quite a lot of stuff. Did they at least replace it with anything good?

is this series any good? Bendis took all the interest I had away.

Evil Hawk, OverHawk, Osch, St John, the entire mafia origin of the Darkhawk armor, Darkhawk's new armor, The ship in Null Space, absolutely anything that dealt with the space side of things and not Chris's superheroing on Earth was wiped clean and claimed to be a delusion of his because his brain was not processing the datasong correctly. All the other Hawks were just Chris reconfiguring his armor and pretending to have an enemy. Anything else like the Overhawk taking over the world was all a dream.

It was replaced with the armor being one of thousands of agents of the Shi'Ar Empire from a few million years ago called the Fraternity of Raptors. They were some pseudo-magical technological force made to be the secret police and assassination squad of the Shi'Ar until they were powerful enough to replace them with the Imperial Guard. Raptors were shut down and their amulets were spread out through the universe. They are waking up right now one by one, Chris found one of their amulets, and the datasong still exists somehow but that was never explained much. Apparently the amulets are made from the same thing as Sphynx's Ka Stone.

>Dick Rider and Darkhawk incoming?
OH ITS ON NOW

So how tight are those two on the friend scale?

With the whole Novas vs Fraternity thing it's going to be interesting seeing their reactions to Rich and Chris being friends.

I was hoping this would be a Marvel GL/Sinestro Corps thing back in 09

That's... Shitty. I mean, the Fraternity of Raptors thing isn't bad, but I dont see the point in shitting on some others guys work like that.

In the war of kings mini the writer talks about the "guy who turns into a robot" thing was retarded. Apparently he really hated the entire explanation.

There's a metric ton of SYNERGY going on right now, but there's also some pretty interesting, continuity driven plots getting set-up at the same time.
I'd say it's worth it, if you can look past all the "JUST LIKE THE MOVIES"-references for once.

This isn't Bendis or Humphries anymore. Things are actually happening underneath that now. Also maybe we'll get lucky and that stuff gets toned down as the series progresses. I don't know how many issues you can harp on about mixtapes and baby groot anyway. Chances are this is just a transitional period to ease the Bendis readers back into a more story-focussed Guardians book.

The Infinity Quest arc starts in September, although it may take a while for her to actually show up in it, so I'm gonna say October/November.

What? Have I missed an issue? I don't remember any Fraternity of Raptors

I think it was in the FCBD issue

To be fair, space mafia making robots for no actual reason with a homeless alcoholic human scientist guy was kind of stupid

Has Marvel ever given much of a shit about Phyla?

I remember her as being mostly a background character that only appeared for events every few years then you never see her in between for years.

FUCK YEAH I'VE WANTED MORE FRATERNITY OF RAPTORS EVER SINCE WAR OF KINGS

I'm fucking ready for this man I hope it doesn't suck

>I hope it doesn't suck
It's current year Marvel, homie. Of course it's going to suck

They're depowered mooks now that can be taken out with a handgun.

Don't get your hopes up

>Nova gets cancelled
>Duggan picks Dick up before he fades into oblivion
At least there's someone looking out for Dick

No, only the ones who are literally just mooks are. There are still 13 members on par with Nova Force users, and that's a lot.

but Dugan's Deadpool is good, I forget what else Dugan has been in, does everything else sucks?

Duggan said Darkhawk would be part of that arc, so it is likelly him.

Do the shiar still exist in current marvel?

Didn't dick rider die in the new Nova?

Yes.

No.

Aside from the entirety of issue 5 and the end of FCBD Peter doesn't really talk about music or mixtapes.

Also Duggan specifically said that Groot isn't a baby, he's just short because of whatever that evil guy with the other messed up Groots are doing to him.

The other writers are the ones calling him Baby Groot.

I think Deadpool dropped in quality when Posehn left. His time on Nova didn't stand out to me, and I never read Hulk. UA lost me pretty quickly too.
Rich is still alive, but severely depowered

Then promising shadow war then bitching out of it.

Nope but Duggan is giving a shit about her and apparently James Gunn likes her and he teased Quasar in his twitter and Phyla is the only Quasar that's associated with the Guardians.

Maybe it will be Phyla's time to shine now.