Steven Universe

It lacks 'weight' in the animation. The motion feels stiff. Take this animation for example, feels much more natural.

youtu.be/jCTZ-DB7blc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jL3vytC1140
youtube.com/watch?v=rYWOG9q2HpI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I want to have sex with Garnet

I want to fuck that rock alien

That's a problem with a lot of western animated shows I've seen. Fluid animation, but lack of impact. I see it with studios in Japan like Kyoto Animation too, who have ridiculously beautiful animation quality but subpar fight scenes.

Really the best kinds of animated fight scenes nowadays come from studios like Bones or Madhouse. I think the last season of Pokemon also had some killer impact in its animation.

I wonder when Sup Forums will learn that most western animated shows are animated by Koreans.

I wish to make love to the one with the fat ass

Part of that is Korea, although the boarders aren't exempt from criticism.

There's a few boards we've seen where the final version is softer.

Is the Sup Forums the board that's the least knowledgeable about their board subject?

Every Korean isn't a total chimp when it comes to animation. A lot of them are actually VERY talented if you give them a chance to showcase their skills beyond Simpsons, Adventure Time or nuPPG. But it's often just a few studios working on 10+ shows at once. I think CartoonNetwork uses the same show for every single one of its cartoons and it's also shared with FOX.

No one there simply has the time to do a good fighting animation + clean + color it. At least, not consistently. The closest a show could do is specifically hire someone for that, but when SU did it was the lamest kick-and-cry guest animation in the world and a waste of fucking talent. So the crew is partly to blame for not giving their Korean slaves any animation direction beyond, "Follow the storyboards".

I think this might be the result that TV animation, specifically in the west, has a) generally been relegated to simple gag or slice-of-life stories in one form or another with a few exceptions, so mastering action scenes with impact has never really been top priority, and b) follows a production philosophy that an animated series should have its animation remain at a consistent level the whole way through, which means the budget is spread over every scene equally.

So you end up with a lot of instances where all the animation is serviceable on a technical level, but big action scenes don't feel like they have any "punch" to them because they're animated at the same level as a scene of two people talking or a visual gag.

Frankly I think it would be a huge step towards saving Western animation if they'd just stop outsourcing animation and hire the legions of desperate out of work art degree holders here in the USA as inbetweeners. You could even pay them minimum wage, as a desperate art degree holder myself I'd gladly do inbetweens for any of the Big Three for minimum wage. Beats the hell out of flipping burgers for minimum wage, especially if there's opportunity for promotion.

>Acknowledge that the problem is more about the final animation in Korea than the boarders in America.
>"lol so ignorant wow you completely put down the talented Korean animators!"

Please fuck off, the both of you. I'm not saying Korean studios are bad, just that the problems with impact generally come from their part of the cycle rather than the boarders.

>Animation is bad because it has no weight to it

I see this thrown around a lot as a buzzword, even though I've graduated with the degree.

I blame Sup Forums threads trying to discuss what is animation

Fuck off of what? Someone saying the Koreans aren't 100% at fault for this trainwreck and that everyone is at fault?

How can you have a degree and still not get that weight (or lack thereof) is extremely important? The presence of weight can change comedy to drama and vice versa.

Different user, but I guess they mean that Sup Forums as a whole tends to misuse the term "weight" when talking about animation without referring the concepts of anticipation and follow-through that make up the illusion of weight?

Good taste.

Nah, we've got other contenders for that title like /asp/, Sup Forums and /x/. And how could I forget, Sup Forums

>"More fault lies on the Korean end, but not all of it."
>"WOOOOW KOREANS AREN'T MONKEYS IT'S ONLY PARTIALLY THEIR FAULT!"
>"FUCK OFF, I SAID THEY AREN'T ENTIRELY AT FAULT"
>"Fuck off why? THEY AREN'T ENTIRELY AT FAULT!"

I'm telling both of you to fuck off for being presumptuous asses and not getting that nobody here thinks it's just the Koreans. Nobody is insulting their skill or misunderstanding the nature of international animation collaboration. The point was that the problems arise after the boarding. The second of you two doofuses even gave a good reason for WHY this happens: they're stretched thin acriss projects and not given proper direction.

That's just a matter of terminology.
Looking back, I think they meant people act like weight = good universally, and I can understand being opposed to that

So you're pissed off everyone ignored your post and gave you no (You)s and thought the only way would be to insult people directly?

Maybe you should fuck off this entire site if you're going to have a breakdown everytime an opinion is repeated.

I mean, I could be wrong on this, but I can't think of any instances where giving a piece of animation weight truly *hurt* a sequence a show per say, but there are definitely instances where discussing it isn't really applicable to a specific show where things that are most helped by applying "weight" like action or physical comedy aren't the main focus, and because there's other animation techniques that can be used.

The problem is that barely anyone can animate, and definitely not fast enough to have a 20 episode season out every year

>So you're pissed off everyone ignored your post and gave you no (You)s and thought the only way would be to insult people directly?
I have no idea how the hell you would even come to this conclusion. Should I just go over this step by step?

I told the first user to fuck off for being condescending about literally nothing. Neither post he quoted betrayed a lack of animation knowledge.

I told the second user to fuck off for also being condescending, assuming acknowledgement of a problem equates to insulting the skill of the animators, and then going on to prove the point of one of the user's they quoted while explaining why they're wrong.

I don't know where your (You) narrative comes in, because I'd much prefer you stop replying while somehow not understanding the person you're quoting. Please, stop replying to me with repeats of what I'm saying or crazy fanciful nonsense.

There's quite a few instances in The Ripping Friends where the weight of an action (tearing a sentient creature apart) and slow burn of anticipation in other contexts completely destroys the humor. John K's been on the opposite end more often, with no sense for weight or consistency.

The same could be said about most modern cartoons, the animation simply isn't good enough for good fights.

Could you really not even be bothered to post the version with colors and shading? If you're going to start a shit thread, you could at least do us the courtesy of not being so fucking lazy about it.

>Telling people to fuck off because of "being pretentious"

There's only one faggot here and it's (You).

Post animation with weight

That's fair. Though knowing John K that might've been his intent considering his idea of humor is evoking the feeling of discomfort you get when trapped in a subway car alone with a homeless man shouting at you to come remove his metal fillings so the CIA won't read his thoughts through his teeth.

Pic not related? The Dr. Doom .gif is 10x better.

Dumb Doomfag

That's sexy.

It's the outsourcing to inexperienced animators (Worst Korea) that makes the quality drop.
In Invader Zim, Ultra Peepi had a scene where he's walking down the street accompanied by a funky music. He was supposed to be rampaging in the city but Korean animators got it wrong. The funky music was actually a clever effort to save the fuck up and it worked.

There was also a scene in Walk of Doom where the animators got the perspective incorrect and instead drew a giant cop walking around (He was suppose to be walking in the foreground) so the foley artist added giant thundering footsteps to salvage it.

And in Ed Edd n Eddy with the beach episode, Ed was suppose to be "walking like a camel" but it got misinterpreted and he was animated like a camel with the humps.

>Condescending and pretentious are now synonyms.

The lengths men go for a (You).

oh, another one of these threads. I'd much rather you just post a generic "neat animation" thread than yet another "let's shit on SU again while they're on hiatus"

You're only reminding people if this was a show actually made in Japan we'd at least have one amazing looking scene instead of fan artists who have to fill that gap.

This is silly. Lapis is several orders of magnitude stronger than Amethyst. She can take the entire CG team by herself.

silly, but fun to see Amethyst being unusually badass, if only in fanart

well, there's an upcoming anime adaptation about this group of gem/jewel girls who fight moon men or something. So Sup Forums gets to enjoy the SU that Sup Forums always dreamed about.

youtube.com/watch?v=jL3vytC1140
youtube.com/watch?v=rYWOG9q2HpI

Because those people don't want to do it. They openly say it's too hard and that they don't like working for people.

>But it's often just a few studios working on 10+ shows at once.

Yup, this is exactly the case.Rough Draft Korea in particular is ridiculous.

This studio does all of The Simpsons and SpongeBob, and half of the episodes in Steven Universe, Star Vs., We Bare Bears and Adventure Time. I think they'll also handle half of the eps for OK K.O. (These guys also did the original Samurai Jack, a lot Billy & Mandy eps, Camp Lazlo, KND, Futurama, and half of Gravity Falls)

The other five studios (Yeson, Saerom, Digital EMation, Sunmin, and Wang Film) do pretty much everything else: Harvey Beaks, FOP, Regular Show, modern Family Guy, Samurai Jack S5, the rest of SU, AT, Star, WBB, etc.

>That bit of Bra you see when Amethyst reaches for her whip.

California has an Animators Union wage that must be paid. Sorry user.

I used to believe weightless fights were an STAPLE of Anime or at least a trope as a way to "beautify" violence, and that those flying bricks we see in comic animated movies were "brutes" in comparison.

I like weight though, and I have seen plenty of western animator do wonders, in the end the issue is hiring people that fit your political agenda or are from your inner circle, instead of talent. Anime is lucky that the people who make anime now are otaku themselves, hence why the unfathomable levels of depravity.

What if I just want to fuck Shappire? does it makes me a dirty pedo?

The thing is, the ideal would be cartoons Animated in Japan or by talented people from anywhere else, not more Anime same-shield face.

>expecting decent animation from a sgiw with calarts