Just got back from watching this movie, and I'm gonna say that I didn't expect to like it as much as I did

Just got back from watching this movie, and I'm gonna say that I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.
I especially loved the main villain, who was literally the Eternal Anglo - just like in the real WW1.

Eh. It has a strong start, and swings for the fences, but Diana fails to be a competent character. She plays the wise yet incredibly naive trope for all it's worth, and her characterization suffers for it. Granted, she's been sheltered on an island of women all her life, but the cute fish-out-of-water moments fall flat when it's time for her to be a warrior. She's strong, but has to have her hand held by Steve Trevor when facing the realities of war. And when she completely falls apart at the end after seeing the war continue after her supposed defeat of Ares, Gadot's wooden face takes away the emotional impact and infantalizes her, with Steve having to choose between looking after what is essentially a child in a woman's body, or completing his mission.

She was supposed to be trained harder than any amazon in preparation for war. Yet she's a psychologically stunted woman-child.

>She was supposed to be trained harder than any amazon in preparation for war. Yet she's a psychologically stunted woman-child.
I think she was supposed to be young in the first movie, plus she was isolated from the other amazons so she couldn't find about who she was to avoid Ares finding her though telepathy

I liked the movie, but I can't help but wonder if some of the praise is inflated given the awful track record the DCEU had. I just want the sequel to be set in present day. What I really liked is how they treated WW1 as this complicated clusterfuck and not just one enemy that needed vanquished

That was what I was worried about. The Germans were actually nuanced instead of being just Proto-Nazis, and it was clear that the villains had their own agenda outside of that. I was really glad that they setup the more difficult questions about war, but didn't give a clear answer because war is shit.

>"When I defeat Ares, germans will turn good, and the war will be over!"
>Audience laughs

>given the awful track record the DCEU had
But MoS is easily as good as WW.

user, don't start this shit.

It's true though.
Every DCEU movie besides SS has been very well done.

user, cease and desist.

MoS was alright, but you need to stop this. BvS and SS were trash

That's ok, you got your own opinion,Critics,audience and box office disagree with you views but opinion is opinion

Get fucked faggot

Wow, you sure showed us.

Yup. Sure did

Do we have to do this shit every time?

Dont respond to me fucking loser lmao

That's one thing that bothered me. Yeah, she's educated about all sorts of stuff, but is naive about the outside world. That's ok, book smarts, no street smarts. It's endearing

But she's raised in a warrior society, supposedly trained so much harder than the rest of the Amazons, yet she knows nothing of politics, diplomacy, or strategy. I get that they're steeped in myth, but surely their history and military strategy books don't say "NO IT WAS ALL ARES".

She's supposed to be educated but inexperienced. Instead she comes out as 3 IQ points higher than child Goku.

But her mother literally did tell her that it's all Ares.

>3 IQ points higher than child Goku.

That is exactly what bugged me. Sure, she gets better, as seen in BvS, but when Steve has to "mainsplain" the realities of life to her in the middle of a time critical mission, and she's too distraught and emotional to just get on with it it doesn't paint her in a good light as a woman, let alone a character.

Yeah, but her mother didn't handle all of her education. She first refused to let her get training, then told everyone "train her the hardest you've ever trained anyone". Presumably that also meant her brain.

>Presumably that also meant her brain.

Or not, as the movie clearly demonstrates. This is the most hilariously misogynistic film that's come out in years.

Wasn't that because she lived sheltered on a paradise with eternal youth and no death, meaning apart from training fights she had no real experience on the realities of war, and as a classic hero she believed that everything was dictated by the Gods

So, Sup Forums, what went right?

Maybe you're right, after all she literally banged the first man she met, luckily for her she hit the jackpot because he's Chris Pine

Apply this matrix to movies, low expectations and the movie was surprisingly good, I enjoyed it a lot

They should have cast John C Riley or Danny Devito as Steve.

Again, she was supposedly not just rigorously trained, but more rigorously trained than any other Amazon. She should be a fish out of water, not an ignorant retard.

She was also supposed to be trained face these threats by the very eternal warriors that had faced the last clash of the gods. Who, in their infinite wisdom, pared down the complexity of war and strife to "They don't deserve you". They didn't even bother to give the simplest abstract, despite having sequestered themselves for the exact same realities of war!

yea she's good at fighting but kind of a sap when it comes to everything else. She's a really bad tactician which really bothered me. and even though she can't seem to figure out the way things work in the world of man she won't listen to anyone and just wants to leroooy jenkins everything. also why is it called the world of men when women live there too?

They scrapped Snyder's ideas of making her desiludido with humanity, and reports say that Johns was rewritten the script on set

because sasuga patriarchy

What happened to Doctor Poison?

Considering she has the mentality of a child, this is kind of disturbing. Would be cute of they were younger to give off a more end of innocence vibe, but Steve is clearly a man and she is clearly mentally and emotionally stunted. Granted, it is a war, and it's not every day you bang a demi-goddess, but in hindsight, and in light of her later emotional breakdown... it's iffy.

She's allowed to escape because, uh, she's a woman and deserves empathy?

She lives to fight another day, possibly bone some evil genius to create progeny to carry on her legacy and fight Wonder Woman throughout the ages.

i liked it too, but yes it was overhyped
not just because of the dceu spotty track record, but also cause "girl power"
my 65 year old mother saw the movie, and she hasn't seen an action movie in over a decade, and the last super hero film she saw was Donner's superman
and i will say that the acting is very good overall, but Gal was probably the worst actor of the bunch
she wasn't terrible, she could look convincingly sad, she could be charming...
but whenever she was supposed to look angry (especially at the end where she's supposed to be mad enough to commit cold-blooded murder) she fell tragically short
literally the only man she's ever loved is dead and she looked like somebody whose car had been towed

Maybe they did, Diana was well aware of what a war meant for humanity, but there's a large difference between awareness and facing war first hand, no matter how much their amazons aunts taught her it'd never supplant real experience
Diana was naive an inexperienced in that world, doesn't mean she was a child. Also she knew what sex was all about and Steve didn't tricked her into snu snu, they we're both consenting human and demigodess. Also Steve was best boy, I wonder if his toys will sell more

DC learned from backlash to Zod's death, that's what happened.

>I liked the movie, but I can't help but wonder if some of the praise is inflated given the awful track record the DCEU had.

Of course it is dude.

It's like a 6/10 movie at best. Everyone will have forgotten it within a year. Everyone's just dazzled by the fact that a DCEU movie exists where the main character isn't an unrelatable psychopath and the cinematography, while not great, isn't a mess.

But the General and Ares?

Here's this scientist who has committed war crimes... and she let her escape? I mean she doesn't have to behead her right then and there, and the situation was chaotic but, I don't know, tie her up, knock her out, whatever. Have your soldier buddies take her, don't let her flee so that she can go on to probably kill more people in...

...the sequel?

Even ignoring the fact that Ludendorf was thought to be Ares at the time, she killed both of them in combat. It's much different from killing a defenseless enemy, who's literally at your mercy and not even trying to fight back.

And unless the sequel is set in the past too (which is actually a genius idea), Doctor Poison will be around 130 years old. I don't care how smart she is, nobody can be a threat at this age.

Poison is a woman and therefore she deserves to get away.

For real, I feel like they were trying to establish that something had derailed her life into what it is now, possibly some kind of mental illness, but never found the space to really fit it in.