JSA Storytime: Mr. X

Good evening owls,

best covers

Other urls found in this thread:

comicsbeat.com/the-retailers-view-what-is-marvel-saying/
twitter.com/comichron/status/885653916985282561
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/wj8pm9/the-selfie-monkey-goes-to-the-ninth-circuit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

;____;

Hello, Storyteller.

So, Weapon H. Seems Greg Pak is contracting 12 year old fanfic writers from the 90s for his ideas these days. I thought Batman: Metalverse would be the stupidest thing I saw this week, but now it's got some strong competition. Holy shit.

Also, how's your head feeling? Better, I hope?

went to gym and took a nap so feeling reasonably alive although it's Fucking Hot Degrees outside

>Bagley on Venom, new Ben Reilly artist to be announced in a few days
>Black Panther's new artist is Leonard Kirk
>Captain Marvel's new ccover artist is Phil Noto
>ASM back at the Daily Bugle with same creative team as the Osborne Conspiracy (?) Arc

>Secret Empire Omega's cover now has the round Cap shield

Hey OP I missed last night's thread, what was the Chekov thing?

That's good to hear.

I fucking hate summer. It is hot as fuck.

That Batman OGN looks pretty great.

There was a poster of Three Sisters on the wall along with two Shakespeare plays

lol

I wanna see big BD artists let loose on Other DC Shit That's Not Batman, but I'm fucking sure dude wanted to draw Batman, you know?

>yet more Batman stuff
Uh huh. And I'm sure if I were a brainwashed twat, I might give a shit.

He's already convinced me Catwoman should always have a whip.

I'm sooooo sick of Batman though.

I was hoping that those Wonder Woman books would do good enough. And I was hoping that Flash having a show and better selling books would let DC feel more confident, but Earth One is apparently in limbo and Morrison writes one sentence a day I think.
Hopefully Green Lantern Earth One is good and does good

>heart failure at 23
Holy shit.

IKR? How long am I gonna have to wait?

Did anything come of Zub's second shot at T-Bolts? Also when are they gonna change the Suicide Squad writer because holy shit.

>I feel the writing isn't quite there but if you want shapely asses you can't go wrong with him.

I'm in

Paquette's said he's drawing WW v2 and 3 right now

Priest needs to be on that book with no Harley Quinn and no editoral interference

I don't care if it'll sell like crap

FabNic and Zirch were talking about their least favorite editor ever, the guy who fired them with almost no notice off Thunderbolts to make Fightbolts happen

Not a lot of news today, There's that batman thing, the top 10 sellers (some funky stuff on that one like always), and that retailer that got kicked out of the Marvel group wrote another thing today, this time about the bad communication that Marvel seems to be presenting (regarding She-Hulk):
comicsbeat.com/the-retailers-view-what-is-marvel-saying/

The retail industry news about GNs etc was kinds interested.

ngh look at this beautifully laid out page

twitter.com/comichron/status/885653916985282561

Kinda love the stupidness of HulkVerine

Also saw a Batman in some Mike Grell ass outfit that looked like it was from Metal but no idea if it's real

You mean a cat-o-nine-tails.

I really like the premise of GLE1, I hope it comes out on time

apparently it's mostly drawn?

The two Rucka Rebirth trades that are out seem to have gotten a boost in the bookscan numbers (probably due to the movie, but I am not an expert)

The artist said it was almost done so it probably will

Oh, that's pretty reassuring then!

I bought the first volume of Invisible Republic but I haven't read it yet, hopefully it's good

>that poster in the bottom left, I live it

At this point, I don't think it's a matter of confidence, but stubbornness. DC just doesn't want to try with any other IPs except Batman. The company isn't completely stupid, Rebirth happened after all, so they have to know that trying other things has a reasonable chance to work. I just think they don't want to, either because they've convinced themselves of the "only Batman sells" narrative, or they literally do not care about their other properties.

btw in case you thought the world was sane PETA is suing on behalf of the right of a monkey named Naruto to hold copyright

F

Got a link to that Batman?

Mobile but will try to find it later

what's out this week?

... Okay. Honestly, even that bit of gibbering insanity just can't even get a rise out of me.

Like, the monkey isn't even capable of understanding what money even IS, let alone be concerned with trademark. Also, you can't sue an intellectual property over sharing a name with someone.

That's Prez, right?

it's kind of a fascinating case!

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/wj8pm9/the-selfie-monkey-goes-to-the-ninth-circuit

her live-tweeting of this was great

Okay I'm reading 4th World for the first time starting with Jimmy Olsen lead ins and WHAT THE FUCK

People tend to forget that New Gods stuff got fucking wild with collage technique, etc.

(postdating this by quite a while, but a production entitled "Passion Play" is one of the most ambitious, flawed, but memorable things I've ever seen on the stage)

(the same actress played Queen Elizabeth, Hitler, and Ronald Reagan)

Yes, that was Prez, moments before the "TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO" page

Iggy Pop: surviving behavior that would have destroyed a phalanx of lesser pop stars

too good for this sinful world

also, too prescient

this is so 50s in the best fucking way

Holy shit, what

MON-KEY SEL-FIE

I saw a mockingbird successfully harass a housecat last night

don't fuck with mockingbirds

This comic is seriously making me want to re-read Girl Genius and Gunnerkrigg Court. Something sorely lacking in mainstream comics these days is some damn style and atmosphere.

I feel like part of what makes a good comic is being distinguishable. The reader should be able to recognize your comic just by looking at it. But so many books these days, Big Two especially, are so homogenized, that they're often hard to tell apart.

No shit, they'll cheat on their boyfriends with you and murder you to cover up.

What's done well both here and Mage is how a certain amount of world-building is offloaded into the art and not stated explicitly, which is GOOD and what more COMICS should do

K6BD also looks entirely like itself.

Yeah, that happened a lot. Jim "empty my nine on the welfare line" Steranko did that too.

A lot of the old Vertigo classics used to have those super stylized covers that were kinda a shorthand for the series as a whole. Shade's Steadman-ish covers, Preacher's super distorted Fabry stuff.

oh shit there's the F guy

the mockingbird is also the State Bird of Texas

K6BD owes a good debt to Barlowe and Stokoe but it wears its influences really well.

and the Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec

Exactly. Mister X has done next to no exposition on what kind of setting it has, yet it doesn't have to since the reader can instantly tell just by looking at it. Essentially, it's show don't tell at play.

YOU DON'T GET TO TALK ABOUT MORROWIND TILL YOU FINISH IT

you're not the boss of me, I can read all the lorebooks right now!

also my game and the whole upgraded install got nuked when my PC went tits up and I rebuilt it

The somnolescent protest posters are pretty great.

>Jim "empty my nine on the welfare line" Steranko
What'd he say?

All of a sudden, I am remembering dreams about being in a fast elevator, and it must be dreams because I haven't been in a large building in IDK how long

>last panel
I love Mercedes.

I really hate to sound like a broken hipster record, but older comics really did look better than the over detailed, yet bland and samey current stuff.

Um, hello, human Yellow Diamond.

I feel like this is successfully stringing along a mystery while not playing in the "giving us all the clues we'd need to work it out" mode which I feel is actually quite difficult for a format like comics

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

(also, censored tits)

He's a Trump supporter.

I checked the other day and Earth One sold over 27k, I'm sure releasing more elseworld that's not Batman is in back of their minds.

>Yummy Fur quickly gained a reputation for taboo-breaking—Ed the Happy Clown's plot revolved around a character who couldn't stop defecating, and whose anus was a gateway to another dimension; then-U.S. President Ronald Reagan's head attached to the end of the protagonist's penis; and a beautiful female vampire, who is out to get revenge on the boyfriend who murdered her, and who usually appears entirely naked. Later, in The Playboy, Brown would detail his adolescent obsession with the Playboy Playmates in Playboy magazine, including explicit scenes of his teenage self masturbating and ejaculating. In the short "Danny's Story", Brown had himself picking his nose, and finished with him biting his neighbour.

I think it's all in the setup. It gives us just enough information that you just gotta know what the hell is going on.

And as always, it helps that the cast is likeable enough that we care what happens to them. I'm just waiting for Mercedes to get killed off, since she's best girl, and thus prime fodder for a tragic moment.

It happened with Lyrissa, it happened with Ethel, it happened with Edie, it'll probably happen with Mercedes.