Netflix Castlevania sucks

Just watched the new Netflix Castlevania series. Was it frederator or fedorator which produced that shit? First off, they turned the moral conflict of Castlevania from Nihilism vs Idealism into a "Muh faith vs science" moral conflict which doesn't even makes sense in context of the series. Second, they turned the Christian Church which was always a neutral to benevolent entity in the video game series into some sort of purely Evil organization with oblivion-tier spiked crises just for extra cringe points. Thirdly they turned a Christian female Character (sypha) who worked for the church into being a member of some nomadic pseudo Jew-gypsy mary sue sect called "the Speakers."

They made "the speakers" and Dracula so justified and the Christian Church so obvious wrong it's the most contrived dumb shit they could have ever done. To add salt to my wounds, a bunch of ass hats who've never played a Castlevania game in their life are praising it.

Good job Netflix, Fedorator and Warren Ellis. You managed to take something from Japan and Jew it. Take Zelda next, you've been craving it.

Here's your (you)

I’ll take it.

It’s obvious that it is only a certain faction inside the Church that is evil. The holy water that was sanctified by the priests as commanded by Trevor worked against the beasts after all.

The animation was good, voice actors good, action good, design good (except the purposefully evil looking Christian churches) but the story was too heavy handed in it's soapboxing. The worst part is that they could have easily told a more reasonable story with almost the same plot. Dracula's wife could have been sincerely searching for dark powers but in order to help people. Not "muh science." The Church would have been more reasonable of attacking her then. Sypha and her family could have been a group of Christian mystics who have been opposed to recent actions by the church and butting heads because of it. This would have created balance to the heavy anti-Christian message. Conversely Sypha and her family could have been disciples of Dracula's wife. Either one of those would have created a more compelling story than the generic mary sue sect "the speakers."

Why expect anything else from Western animation at this point? Stick to Asia.

>fedora meme

I hate to break it to all you butthurt christfags, but your church really did burn innocent people at the stake for "witchcraft" and did way worse besides.

If anything the series was too lenient on them.

Can someone please explain why the speakers are Jews? They have literally no similarities to 15th century Jewish sects.

thanks for the valuable input. Grown ups are talking now. You stick to Hollywood shit and leave Japan alone though, okay?

>persecuted schollary nomads who just want to ""help"" goyim but the evil church and stupid peasants won't let them
It reads like a bad fan fic.

There were no nomadic Jewish sects in 15th century Europe.

Jews were constantly traveling and be expelled from places at that time. The speakers resemble a hybrid jew gypsy group though. With the added bonus of being mary sues vs a strawman church.

Explain how they resemble Jews at all? Their attire isn't, their beliefs aren't and they are nomadic by culture not by force. They are just Gypsies.

Being a scholarly persecuted race. As I said, a mix of Jews and gypses. the elder resembles a rabbi and Jews believed in the oral Torah (Talmud).

No, he really doesn't. No beard, no hat, they never mention worshiping any kind of deity. They are just Gypsies.

>Dracula's wife could have been sincerely searching for dark powers but in order to help people. Not "muh science."

Have you never played SOTN or what

They already fucked it. At least don't turn it into science vs faith shit.

>oral Torah
>"persecuted" scholarly race
You fail to address those.

They don't mention any kind of religious tome, just their history.
You fail to mention how either of those are a distinction from just being Gypsies.

They keep an oral tome. Like the Jews claim to have kept until they wrote it down as the talmud. Their self-righteous behavior is more characteristics of Jews than Gypsies.

No they kept an oral history of their people, like Gypsies, and were adapt in mysticism, like Gypsies. There is nothing distinctly Jewish about them, even a little. They don't dress like Jews at the time, they don't mention any tenets of the Jewish faith and they are nomadic.

>nd were adapt in mysticism, like Gypsies.
Jews were adapt in mysticism. Christians too. Which is why it's so weird they invented "the speakers."

>They made "the speakers" and Dracula so justified and the Christian Church so obvious wrong it's the most contrived dumb shit they could have ever done. To add salt to my wounds, a bunch of ass hats who've never played a Castlevania game in their life are praising it.
Did you WATCH the fucking show?! It was practically beaten into you from the first episode, with the Bishop caring about his "time on Earth being used to eradicate heretics" to Trevor pointing out that one of the Priests was carrying a "thief's weapon", all but saying the most dense of humans that "the 'Christian priests' were just deputized thieves and highwaymen given license to beat and scare people so that the Bishop could live out his dictatorial power fantasies".

Oh, and then there's that other very important part about a PRIEST SAVING THE FUCKING DAY with Holy water! Someone who actually follows the teachings of Christ and was "properly ordained by the Church" and is out just to help the needy.

But only one of those were nomadic during the 15th century. Hint:it's Gypsies

Warren Ellis is a fucking hack and always has been.

His name being attached to this shitpile is all you should have needed to know.

>the entire church is evil but one token priest
>That makes their glaring soapboxing okay
They screwed up other major things. I'll reiterate for the thousandths time that having a conflict of science vs faith DOES NOT WORK IN A SERIES IN WHICH MAGIC, SPIRITUALITY AND TECHNOLOGY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SEAMLESSLY BLENDED WITHOUT PROBLEM. Your character throws jars of Holy Water and uses the Bible as physical weapon against zombies and robots.

>DUDE ALL CHRISTIANS ARE EVIL LMAO
>token good priest
Was he at least protestant

Uh, she was killed for that in the games. She used science to create medicine to help people, and was burned for it during the witch trials.

>The entire Church is evil
Uh, no. The only one that is explicitly "evil" is the power-hungry Bishop. He condemned and killed an innocent woman for his own power and control, and back in the 1400s, the Catholic Church WAS hideously corrupt, with Alexander VI being the perfect example (who became Pope only 16 years after the events of this series).

>DOES NOT WORK IN A SERIES IN WHICH MAGIC, SPIRITUALITY AND TECHNOLOGY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SEAMLESSLY BLENDED WITHOUT PROBLEM.
That fucking happened. Dracula's castle was filled with mechanical stuff and technological marvels that wouldn't come about for centuries later. Hell, Dracula even blended "science" and "magic" seamlessly, which is what he introduced Lisa to in the first episode.

>Your character throws jars of Holy Water and uses the Bible as physical weapon against zombies and robots.
Which also fucking happens. Holy water, salt, and consecrated whip make the demons explode.

>Alexander VI
Delicious irony.

>and back in the 1400s, the Catholic Church WAS hideously corrupt,
So was the state of Israel since it's inception.

>Edgy "Da Joos" post.

Just getting a rise out of you. The RCC was corrupt because of selling indulgences and offices. Not because of burning people.

>Uh, she was killed for that in the games. She used science to create medicine to help people, and was burned for it during the witch trials.
It didn't lead to a meme saga discussing "superstition" versus science. Especially considering many superstitions like Bigfoot are true in the Castlevania universe.

Nothing new, just look at the creator and his beautiful eye liner.

I expected nothing better from a neutered West who does not even know the History of Inquisition and what it actually was. A political tool for the House of Austria.

But hey I just watched the first episode now, maybe the rest is better...but yeah got the message,

Dracula misunderstood guy a fucking Prometheus bringing SCIENCE.
Religion bad. Why? Fuck you Catholic Church in an Orthodox country bad.

Way to establish a story, not even an attempt at shit like media res, and this is from people who like Berserk?

>selling indulgences
Oh, that's what that thing I was thinking of yesterday was called! Thank you.

OK, then why was she burned, if it wasn't for "superstition"?

>OK, then why was she burned, if it wasn't for "superstition"?
Because the writers wanted to shoehorn a retarded plot. She should have burned for being Dracula's wife, not spreading muh science.

Depends on which position that person had in the church if they were lower tiered like say a priest the were probably as chill as a grandpa that warns kids not to fuck around with evil shit, if it was the high zealous kinda guys then yeah they would be the biggest assholes of the century

fuck you science is just explained magic

Lisa, the most morally pure character in the show, treats her execution the exact way Jesus treated his crucifixion.
>forgive them, [family member] for they know not what they do
When watching the show, I thought this scene was too blatant, but with how many people have either accidentally or willfully missed its meaning, especially self-professed "Christians," I'm baffled.

It was bad in the Copolla movie and it was bad here.

Fucking make a simple story about a Hero defeating the fucking Devil, Jesus its fucking Dracula. Action scenes, Alucard being mysterious about his betrayal, Belmonts kicking ass. But no these faggots dont even have what it takes to make a simple tale.

>First off, they turned the moral conflict of Castlevania from Nihilism vs Idealism into a "Muh faith vs science" moral conflict

Man, it's been a while since I've seen a Christian assmad about nothing.

I expect heavy handed soapboxing from Ellis. It doesn't really bother me all that much anymore. You just pick around it. I'm more pissed that 4 episodes of introduction are being treated as a full season. If the season wasn't done why push it out?

Oh I saw it.

I am just fucking fed up with this pandering to edgy atheists because to make her words straight out of Jesus actually meaningful, something someone maybe even a priest in the crowd would have second thoughts.

OP has kind of a point, but hey who cares its not like Vampire HunterD movie brand of snowflake vampires where better.

>Because the writers wanted to shoehorn a retarded plot. She should have burned for being Dracula's wife, not spreading muh science.
Uh, they are being completely fucking accurate with that, though. Lisa was killed for "superstition" by burning IN THE FUCKING GAMES!

Literally Frollo. It just Frollo without the thirst for Gypsy ass.

The evil bishop was using his power as a religious figure to justify his misdeeds, hiring thugs as "Priests".

If you disagree with me you disagree with God.
Just switch his job with any other powerful figure and it stays the same.

>something someone maybe even a priest in the crowd would have second thoughts.
Sure, there might be something like that. Like one character, who refuses to be part of the hypocracy and instead mourns for the crucified victim. Mirroring the man who took up the Cross or the Centurion with blood in their eye. If only there was a character like that, treated sympathetically by the narrative and characters.

Oh wait, that was the entire point of including the old woman Dracula spares.

It was disgusting the way they tried to draw parallel, while viciously slandering God's Church and going "ha ha ha you're so exaggeratedly hypocritical."

I'm not upset that would make statements critical of the RCC. Maria the Virgin Witch is an anime I liked that had alot of the same critiques Castlevania seems to have RCC. The difference is that it was done in a reasonable fashion and in a way that was appropriate for the setting. Castlevania's portrayal of the RCC is just nasty. And this coming from a series that never was about that sort of thing is jarring.

meant for

>Actual fucking quote from the game: "Do not hate humans. If you cannot live with them, then at least do them no harm, for theirs is already a hard lot." ...She also said that she would love you. For eternity.
Literally the exact same fucking message. I wonder if Christfags about all of this for no reason. Like when SJWs sperg the fuck out like Trigglypuff being told to hit the power gym.

>viciously slandering God's Church
Well of course a Sup Forums poster cannot comprehend the concept of nuance and historical accuracy.

The story about Trevor and the Belmonts being viewed with suspicion and "The Church" viewing them with suspicion is straight from the manuals.

I recall it being over her association with Dracula. Where did it say otherwise?
Sup Forums is neopagan. Get over yourself.
Shitty writing made to make Christians look irrationally hypocritical and i'm supposed to be sympathetic to lisa? I've known lisa for two scenes and she was a cunt in the first one. The second one she was dying.

>Am I supposed to sympathise with the woman being unjustly burned? She was a cunt
>Sympathise with the people unjustly burning her instead.

Yes, when a character exhibits the exact same values the founder of your religion exhibits, you should feel sympathetic towards them. Unless you are more interested in the cultural connotations of said religion than its values, of course. In which case, DEUS VULT!

I don't sympathies with any of them because the writing was anachronistic and made no sense. It was the Catholic Church which was making these scientific advancements for centuries, all of the sudden they are fundamentalist Luddites? Pick up a fucking history book.

The writing was shit. If they gave reason what so ever for people to be acting that way besides "Christians evil, Lisa good." i'd love to watch it. As it stands it's just another soapbox. A reminder that Sypha WORKED FOR THE CHURCH in the games.

Why are you so assblasted over some power hungry people taking advantage of the Church? They were clearly not real priests, as evidenced when one real priest shows up and fights the demons.

Also, a demon flat-out tells the Bishop "I am evil incarnate and come to tell you God is real. But he won't save you because you fucked up".

Some bad guys in this series happen to be Catholic and suddenly you just LOSE it? Nowhere is it stated the entire Church is evil.

>It was the Catholic Church which was making these scientific advancements for centuries
No, it was particular monks who did not make waves that made advancements. Not "the church that took until the 90s to apologize to Galilelo. And at this point, you will say "but they put him under house arrest for making fun of the Pope!" As though that were reasonable, but the fact remains that the power of the church to influence and inhibit discovery was huge.

>If they gave reason what so ever for people to be acting that way besides "Christians evil, Lisa good." i'd love to watch it.
So, for example, the woman who adheres to Christian burial traditions to mourn Lisa, the woman who emulated Jesus? Or maybe the priest who MUST be an official in the church and can make legitimate holy water? Something like those examples from the show itself?

The church wasn't some evil gestapo trying to stop all scientists from telling the truth. The only thing Galileo was persecuted for was being a complete and utter retard.
>be Galileo
>create theory that disagrees with both scriptural interpretation and contemporary science (everyone seems to forget the latter for some reason)
>Cardinal Roberto Bellarmine tells me that I can only teach the concept as a hypothetical phenomenon/calculating device, but also that the church can and will reinterpret scripture if I can provide conclusive evidence and overcome scientific objections to my theory
>I agree, but then go and teach it as fact anyway
Galileo obviously had the last laugh in this debate, but at the same time it would be unfair to consider him the "rational" one in it.

Just look at the ruling on Galileo's writings

>If there were a true demonstration that the sun is at the centre of the
world and the earth in the third heaven, and that the sun does not
circle the earth but the earth circles the sun, then one would have to
proceed with great care in explaining the Scriptures that appear
contrary, and say rather that we do not understand them than that what
is demonstrated is false. But this is not a thing to be done in haste,
and as for myself I shall not believe that there are such proofs until
they are shown to me.

Hardly sounds like "grrr, science BAD" like fedoras pretend. inb4 you confuse Catholics with protestants.

>A political tool for the House of Austria.
I love history please explain.

I really only know about the Spnaish Inquisition and not much else.

>you will never drink a cute Saiyan girl's fresh juice

>Actual fucking quote from the game: "Do not hate humans. If you cannot live with them, then at least do them no harm, for theirs is already a hard lot." ...She also said that she would love you. For eternity.
Literally the exact same fucking message. She said that while being burned, mind you. I wonder if Christfags are working themselves up about all of this for no reason. Like when SJWs sperg the fuck out like Trigglypuff being told to hit the power gym.

This. The Japanese don't view the Catholic Church kindly. They did make Lucifer into a hot chick who is likable, mind.

>I recall it being over her association with Dracula. Where did it say otherwise?
>Akumajō Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku booklet
It says she was killed, not for being with Dracula, but for making MEDICINE. She was then burned as a witch because of that. She was making medicine for people suffering from the PLAGUE.

>but they put him under house arrest for making fun of the Pope!
I apologize for not putting an "only" after they. Because, if this were only and exclusively a scientific dispute, the way modern Catholic apologists desperately try and paint it as, that is the point of contention.

You're full of shit, that's not the only reason and Gal was also going against the mainstream science of his time.

Not giving the primary school version of events is being an apologist? What does that make you?

So surely you'll be able to provide evidence of the church acting exactly the same way they did in the Galileo affair for other exclusively-science related issues. Maybe you'll give me the source on Mendelev's statistics being scrutinized by the church, and the result of such close love of the method?

>You're full of shit, that's not the only reason and Gal was also going against the mainstream science of his time.
>Galileo was an old school "science denier".
It has the wonderfully perverse similarity to the Global Warming fad and how anyone who disagrees is a "science denier". Politics and "consensus" have no fucking place in science.

I'll admit they could have handled the church better. You can't really tackle Castlevania 3 without a corrupt church, but you could at least have some of Trevor's rage against them be for the perversion of the word of God, rather than just being butthurt they came after his family. The Belmonts are, after all, devoutly faithful.

And I also dislike Sypha being made into some OC race rather than a proper Belnades. Church-employed witches have always been a prominent theme and important characters in Castlevania and altering that just to push the church as a monolithic evil is frustrating. If they ever do a series with Carrie or Charlotte or Yoko they'll have a lot of backtracking to do now.

That said, it's not all bad. As other anons have noted, the holy water does work, and is indeed suggested by Trevor, indicating he's faithful if at least lapsed. The demons themselves confirm the existence of God while chatting with the priest, informing him that God has abandoned him but the Devil is quite thankful for his deeds.

It's not perfect, I've certainly got more gripes than these, but for a video game adaptation it's unquestionably in the top echelon. To say otherwise is simply biased assblasting.

>First off, they turned the moral conflict of Castlevania from Nihilism vs Idealism
Nigga. Castlevania has never had a central "moral conflict," stop trying to make it sound deeper than it is.
>into a "Muh faith vs science" moral conflict
That's not even true.

>tfw I was raised Catholic and this series doesn't bother me at all
It's a fucking cartoon.

>ignore the critiques of the show and focus on the irl political implications
to be perfectly honest, the way the RCC is portrayed in the games ISN'T like it is in the show. If some obscure line in the 1998 manual says she was killed for medicine, fine. That never manifested itself or was used in a visually disgusting anti-Christian polemic.

Are "The speakers" stupid and forced only for plot convenience? Yes. Is the Anti-Christian rhetoric and imagery far overblown than what's found in the Source material? Yes.

Netflix anime sucks. A little amazed the asshurt fedoras haven't evolved into asshurt hardcore christ fags yet, though I suppose they haven't yet reached the balding middle management fatguy stage of their development.

>why do adaptations that expand on the games' story expand on the game's story?
If Sup Forums-Catholics had even the most basal education on their chosen religion they wouldn't be this embarrassing when defending it.

I haven't even watched this show but I lurk these threads because I really like religion shit and it doesn't get discussed on Sup Forums enough. Also I want to make a cartoon that has a lot of Christian shit in it so there's that

The Ptolemaic model was standard Greco-Egyptian thought that carried over to Rome and as such Christianity. The theological reasoning behind it was that because humanity was fallen, its location as center of the universe puts it as far as it can possibly be from the Empyrean, the unknowable space in which God was thought to reside. Of course, this teaching was ultimately heretical anyway in that it implicitly denies God's omnipresence and His desire to save humanity.

If there was no consensus in science then you could have any fucks make up whatever they want with no consequences. It's not like Protestantism.

>to be perfectly honest, the way the RCC is portrayed in the games ISN'T like it is in the show. If some obscure line in the 1998 manual says she was killed for medicine, fine. That never manifested itself or was used in a visually disgusting anti-Christian polemic.

Are you being deliberately retarded? The Bishop gave THAT EXACT REASON for having her killed. So, you saying "That never manifested itself", is kicked in the baby beans right out of the gate. It's the exact same fucking reason as the games!

>Of course, this teaching was ultimately heretical anyway in that it implicitly denies God's omnipresence and His desire to save humanity.
That's nice. Modern apologetics has no influence on middle age policy.

>Zelda
Just note that Nintendo (now of days) only lets Japanese studios touch their IPs, if a Zelda series would to be made it will be made by Shaft.

Frederator wants Metroid but Nintendo will say no and give it to IG instead.

>And I also dislike Sypha being made into some OC race rather than a proper Belnades. Church-employed witches have always been a prominent theme and important characters in Castlevania and altering that just to push the church as a monolithic evil is frustrating. If they ever do a series with Carrie or Charlotte or Yoko they'll have a lot of backtracking to do now.
I suppose it's possible in later seasons that she joins up with the Church. This would be part of a reversal that would have began when we see that priest successfully create Holy Water. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

It's not even that i'm upset the a show wants to be anti-Catholic. They can be as anti-Catholic as they want and I just won't watch.

Slightly unrelated but my main issue with shit like this is they never pick countries like England or Germany to their anti-Catholic routine.It would make sense for those countries. But instead they always pick countries that are STILL predominately Catholic and pretty much enjoying it. Eastern Europe has got to be one of the worst places to spin this spiel.

The priest said the bishop said it was because he wanted the people to kept simple and Lisa was giving them science. They said nothing about medicine.

Yeah, religion descends from God himself and imparts upon us medicine, it has nothing to do with science.

>If there was no consensus in science then you could have any fucks make up whatever they want with no consequences.
Fucking wrong. Science isn't based on "consensus", but constant skepticism of "current" facts, and testability. Challenging previous facts with NEW ones! That's what science is about. Forming a "consensus" like with the Flat Earth theory, the anthropocentric Global Warming scam, or when Newtonian physics was the "consensus" that Einstein challenged.

>It's not like Protestantism.
You mean the true form of Christianity that doesn't need a bunch of idolatrous "Saints" to speak to God?

Same. In fact, being a Catholic is when you learn the most that the Church is not what you'd call immaculate.

The portrayal is just cliche.

Nobody is asking to portray the fucking Catholic Church has noble crusaders, fuck they have been stomped on ever since the 10th century and their brand of salvation.

God knows atheists and Protestants can be more obnoxious.

What are you on about Protestants are worse than Catholics.

>It says she was killed, not for being with Dracula, but for making MEDICINE. She was then burned as a witch because of that. She was making medicine for people suffering from the PLAGUE.
That's in the booklet. Not the game. Try again. She was burned for being associated with Dracula and repeating it won't make it not true/

>blah blah blah
The show said nothing about Lisa getting burned for making medicine healing people from plague. It'd be better if that was the case.

Ironically those types usually have no problem to say that Islam keeps people ignorant and violent. (Which it does) But a Jebus religion can't do that.

Nice strawman you got there. Feel smart with it?

>God knows atheists and Protestants can be more obnoxious.
>we're not asking you to portray us as perfect, only that you portray our competition as worse than us
How the infallible have fallen.

>You mean the true form of Christianity that doesn't need a bunch of idolatrous "Saints" to speak to God?
Protestants are literally the worst.
Evangelicals are bad news for everyone.

>christfag butthurt

You can't have it both. But if you even think Islam has no problem them you are a lost case.

They weren't asking to depict protestants and atheists worse, just that they find those two more obnoxious.

>What are you on about Protestants are worse than Catholics.
Tell that to the army of child molesting Priests in your Catholic Church.

It said she was killed for "witchcraft". Lisa told them it was for medicine.

Please learn to read subtext.

>Protestants are literally the worst.
Says the stupid Catholic that has no proof. How is your Catholic Church, anyway? Still infested with child molestors?

>Modern apologetics has no influence on middle age policy.
Who said it did? I can see the reasoning why America put the Japanese into internment camps, but that doesn't mean that today we haven't all agreed that it was stupid. And yet our government is still running.

>You mean the true form of Christianity that doesn't need a bunch of idolatrous "Saints" to speak to God?
When will you learn that Catholics only pray to saints insofar as they intercede to God because of the virtue or situations regarding the prayer? And prehistoric totemists praised the sun, so does that mean that not praying in the dark means you've created another idol?

This isn't even going into the Rock of Peter.

It is worth noting that she's only used her fire and ice spells so far. Her strongest spell is called Holy Lightning, IIRC. If they really are going to make her an agent of the church, that would be a good reason to hold off on that spell until she's ordained.

>Nigga. Castlevania has never had a central "moral conflict,

Not that user, but that conflict was kinda there in some titles. That was basically the point of the "What is a man?" scene, and by extension, the ending of Rondo of Blood.

That being said, that theme is also present in this series. In fact, that was THE ENTIRE POINT OF ALUCARD AND DRACULA'S ARGUMENT. So OP is definitely assblasted.

Don't derail this thread into a religious argument.
I'll be back in one year. Say your peace with whatever God you have.

They literally call her a doctor. What the fuck do you think she was making? No shit the mob lynching her wouldn't call them medicine because as far as they know it's just witchcraft hoodoo

Catholics are the worst sheeple. Protestant read the bible and try to understand it. Catholics ask the pope what the bible may imply and guess what the bible says he is always right.

I am not catholic, that is besides the point.

Its the constant barrage of "muh bad religion" without ever a focus on its good side, like everything in life. A balanced nuanced and fair view.

And yes Protestants are worse than Cathoolics who at least always had good philosophers and a universalistic streak. Protestantism is even more anti science and at the center of the most retarded bible thumping theatrics in History like the Münster Rebellion.

It was not me I swear.

>No shit the mob lynching her
She was burned at the stake, no lynching was involved. You might have Alzheimers.

>kill myself within a year

No thanks. Better to die on my feet than live on my knees.