youtube.com/watch?v=Uw9bny88OuY
web.archive.org/web/20020204192702/http://the-last-unicorn.net/index.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

M A G I C
A
G
I
C

A movie with a kickass bull made of fire, what else could you ask for?

Something as weird as the Neverending Story, animated by the company responsible for The Hobbit and all those Christmas specials

Amalthea is so cute

I like to think of it as a metaphor for womanhood, but really it's also a wonderful reflection of the entire human experience and its relation with the concepts of mortality and immortality.

Would you bridle her?

Outside of The Hobbit, The Last Unicorn, and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, are there any other good Rankin/Bass movies?

With Molly Grue's speech "why are you here now, when I'm this old woman!?" really attests to that. Loss of innocence either through trauma or just getting old and cynical.

Molly was based.

The Flight of Dragons.

This is such an unsettling quote.

So that's what mortality feels like. Like being stuck in a rotting husk.

Oh dude I remember that! This was the shit! Not Peter Parker invents Dungeons and Dragons and gets pulled into the game by Yoda, defeats Darth Mufasa and marries Princess Zelda!

God this movie was nerdy in hindsight. Still love it.

I need to rewatch this.

I need to read the books.

Dvd when?

>Souls games in a nutshell

Nah the horror of the souls games are that the body won't die and it's the sanity that wears away

It would be even worse if it was Elantris/Grimnoir Zombie style.
>"Congratulations, you're immortal. If you get hurt you will never ever heal and feel that pain every moment of every day forever until you're lucky enough to get incinerated"

dude also defeated the evil magic guy with some really flimsy science, but maybe you can forgive it because the movie's like thirty years old

Fucking fantastic movie.

Haggard has such good lines.

>You are losing my interest, and that is very dangerous.

>Since then, there is no movement of yours that has not betrayed you! A pace, a glance, a turn of the head, the flash of your throat as you breathe... even your way of standing perfectly still - they were all my spies!

>You may come and go as you please. My secrets guard themselves. Will yours do the same?

And just look at who they got to voice him

An "american animated" movie.

propaganda

youtube.com/watch?v=axQ9DlYUKyg
> I like to watch them. They fill me with joy.
> The first time I felt it, I thought I was going to die.
> I said to the Red Bull, "I must have them. I must have all of them, all there are, for nothing makes me happy but their shining and their grace."
> So the Red Bull caught them.
> Each time I see the unicorns, my unicorns, it is like that morning in the woods, and I am truly young, in spite of myself.

When ever I explained this movie to my friend and mention the bull he always imagined it as a giant can of redbull chasing unicorns off of a cliff

The dragon and the George is a great book, I wish it was a series.
Sir Orrin's nipple spikes always looked weird to me.

Rewatching the film makes me wish for a remastered version, it needs a lot of cleaning up.

a classic.
Enjoy it for the rest of your life, OP, and perhaps.... perhaps.... you too will see a unicorn

>Motherfuckin' James Earl Jones as Ommadon.

He may have gone down like a bitch, but god damn that voice.

youtube.com/watch?v=RKOErq1-okU

One of my favorite animated movies. My family moved me to this shitty school that, for an entire fucking year, barely taught me anything. But every Friday was fucking party day. Fresh popped popcorn, snowcones, and movies (Secret of NIMH, Last Unicorn, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom). If you go to school early, you had the opportunity to eat breakfast there and watch pre-recorded Saturday morning cartoons with everyone singing along to "Kidd Video" songs. Ah, good times.

youtube.com/watch?v=GBQS1cgsEdU

As for what you watched, mostly dealing with metaphor for womanhood like mentioned (I've heard the red bull represents menstruation but I think that's a bit of a stretch) and mainly the subject of dealing with immortality/mortality. It's some heavy shit for a children's movie. They really dive deep into what it's like living as an immortal creature. It never occurred to me that you really couldn't have regrets as you have all of time to exist.

Also, it had a tree with giant knockers. What more could you want?

A cartoon unafraid to be about melancholy and regret.

that's kinda what happens. except he pushes them into the ocean.

sad unicorns by the sea

I would waifu

>I've heard the red bull represents menstruation but I think that's a bit of a stretch
It's a BULL. Why would a masculine force represent something inherently feminine? Moreover it's associated with Haggard, a man.

I prefer the movie to the book which has some additional material that's not bad but which I think gives in to meandering a bit. It goes into some parody that doesn't land particularly hard and distracts from the straightforward story.

a metaphor for adolescence in girls

it's not for you

I'd bridle a lot of women

I shouldn't relate to Haggard so much as I get older.

>I like to think of it as a metaphor for womanhood
There's literally a song in the movie about that.

The life and Adventures of Santa Claus. It is constantly described as Christmas meets Lord of the Rings.

Also I was telling my wife about Unicorn because she never saw it growing up. She was hesitant to begin with but she only made it like 5 to 10 mins into it. She didn't care for tthe theme song or the butterfly part and said she was done.

Fucking hate the mc.
"Oh noes i'm not some retarded magical horse that shits in the fields! Woe is me!"

Fuck off you inmortal cunt.

Something glorious.

Incidentally, the book by Peter S. Beagle (written in 1968 when he was still in his 20s) that it's adapted from is one of Christopher Lee's favorite books. He read it at least once a year during his lifetime and jumped at the chance to be the voice actor for King Haggard.

youtu.be/0wQ0j33bTd4

You should read the book. There's whole storylines and plot points that are cut from the movie for time.

So many magical waifus.

I know I could have done with out the song, holy shit her vibrato was like she shoved a vibrator up her ass and turned to 11.

NOOOOOO!
HOLY SHIT
this shit scared the living fuck out of me, it wasn't the harpy killing the witch, it was this.

Fun fact: Christopher Lee dubbed himself for the German version since he was fluent in the language.

really it only works for children and nostalgia

That fucking butterfly, though. The first time a friend told me to watch it, I quit during that scene. When I talked to him, I basically said "what the fuck? You said it was poignant and beautiful, but it's just a bunch of anachronistic meme-tier humor!"

Obviously, he convinced me to give it a second chance, and it turns out that that literally the rest of the movie is great. But I'm convinced that this would be a legit classic, and not a cult classic, if it wasn't for that fucking butterfly right near the start of the movie convincing people like me that this was gonna be dumb kiddie shit.

I never understood that part, was she gang raped or something? I heard something about that.

Or maybe she's just had a rough life and at that point just sorta gave up.

Just old and cynical. People with age loose their innocence no matter what they do. She lost her chance because of time.

A classic.

>The entire movie

I saw it yesterday because my GF and me were on he couch and she say it and instantly wanted to see it based on the name and premise. I thought it would be a very bad 80s film and was surprised by how much I liked it. My GF is precious and has good tastes apparently.

So that women that the wizard later married, I am pretty sure she was married to that bandit guy and she not only left him for the wizard but the first time she saw the wizard she wanted him dead.

That is what I thought at the beginning as well. It is amazing how my opinion changed right after that scene.

>She didn't care for...the butterfly part

That's perfectly understandable.

>She didn't care for the theme song

This is just outright heresy.

Incredibly, Beagle also co-wrote the screenplay for Bakshi's Lord of the Rings

need me some of that Unicorn Slit

post more ponytwerk please.

Imagine that as a child Superman was your idol then one day Superman came to be and met you but by then you were a cynical normalfag who only likes Batman so you can never truly enjoy the awesomeness of him showing up to your birthday party and getting a Super-piggyback ride. You also come to the realization that you're a cynical piece of shit at the same time.

Yeah, but I strongly associated it with menstruation specifically.

Why are horses so sexy?

Everyone grows old and dies at some point. That message is still there.

Because it's blood red, inflicts lots of pain and embodies anger...?

>Christmas meets Lord of the Rings.
Considering things like Krampus, European Christmas is that already.

I will never get over the part in the Life and Adventures of Santa Clause book where Baum makes it clear he does not know reindeer are real creatures and not solely flying imaginary beings.

youtube.com/watch?v=Uw9bny88OuY
Damn that speech when the dragon heads appear.

8 years ago? Part of the WB vault series, I eagerly snatched one up. An HD remaster would be greatly appreciated however.

>Christopher Lee said he wanted to play Haggard in a live action Last Unicorn movie

the pacing of this, upon rewatch, makes me wonder how I ever sat through it as a kid.

and boy did I ever sit through it, over and over, as a kid.

sorry mom.

I think my mom preferred my repeated watching of this and The Hobbit over mine and my brother's obsession with Watership Down.

Shame the film ends with literal /r/atheism.

I have to say The Last Unicorn is by far the superior film as a film (it's sort of incredible to me it was ever made) but this one has some great lines and visuals in it. Just not as good as a straight watch.

HAGGARD. HAGGARD.

IT'S THE UUUUUUNIIIICOOORRRN

Yeewwwwneeeeecooohhrrnn!

The dragon knight series is pretty good. I wish the author hadn't died, since there was a rumor he was writing another book when he did.

I love the ending bit where Schmendrick looks at Molly smiling and thinks she's prettier than Amalthea. I enjoyed the sequel, but it was sad to see Lir die like that. forever obsessed with her.

I remember a thread a few weeks back about this movie and it boiled down to OP's ship didn't happen between the unicorn and the wizard

But isn't Schmendrick immortal because of his old teacher Nikon? So did he make Molly immortal too, because they were both older than Lir and he was way old in the sequel. I may have missed that bit.

Molly was the only good character, the unicorn garbage was a total cringefest.

Schmendrick lost his immortality when he finally got magic to do his bidding. He and Molly we pretty old in Two Hearts.

Lir couldn't have been that old either. He did beat a griffon in combat, he just forgot you had to kill it twice.

Wow, Peter is fucking insufferable.

With soundtrack by "America"

It's okay user, he will be back.
>"On the last occasion, when I had called to wish him a happy 90th birthday, I remember him assuring me that “if, by the time you come to make your live-action version of your movie, I have passed on, do not let it concern you. I have risen from the dead several times. I know how it’s done.”-Peter S. Beagle

>She didn't care for tthe theme song or the butterfly part and said she was done.
fucking women
just trying to get my family to watch a movie with me on occasion is so goddamn difficult. fickle bastards can never sit through a whole thing.

>tfw can't go to the alternative timeline when this project actually happened
web.archive.org/web/20020204192702/http://the-last-unicorn.net/index.htm

The butterfly is kind of shit. He's a much more "kid's cartoon" kind of character. It's the design, where he's a little man wearing a hat and scarf. There's nothing else as goofy in the movie. Even the tit tree made more sense.

>Mia Farrow wanted to play Molly
I don't know how I would feel about this.

He was a lot more tolerable up until the end speech.