How come no one ever discusses PAD's run on The Incredible Hulk? Is it the Hellboy effect or what?

How come no one ever discusses PAD's run on The Incredible Hulk? Is it the Hellboy effect or what?

There was some guy on here who keeps pushing the idea that this run was bad and that Byrne's and Bruce Jones' runs were better.

Was it really PAD people liked or was it Dale Keown?

It's weird I've heard it called bad or something but I was reading through it and besides the early issues, it was a good comic for a number of years. It had so many cool and fun issues, is it because for the most part it's Smart Hulk?

I'd argue that they both just work really well together.
>is it because for the most part it's Smart Hulk?
Maybe. But Hulk: The End is just as good as any issue from the ongoing and that involves Savage Hulk.

I don't know, I understand there are issues with his run and his writing but I read the last issue of his original run too recently and man what a hell of a last issue to go out on. I see some people say it's not a classic run like Miller on Daredevil or Simonson on Thor but to me he gave the Hulk more legs to tell all sorts of stories rather than Bruce is drifting from town to town.

The "Hellboy effect" is a phony excuse. People who actually read Hellboy love to discuss it, it's just the majority of people on this board don't want to put in the effort to actually read something like Hellboy when they can spend all their time complaining about Marvel comics they don't buy.

Hulk, as well as most of Marvel's classic long runs like Gru Cap and Michelinie Iron Man, require you to actually have read them to really talk about them and the modern generation doesn't want to spend that much time when they could go get mad about what some retard said on Twitter.

The final issue was fantastic. I'm so glad they even let him write it. Hopefully people's opinions change about and it' ends up being well regarded as the other classic runs. It's such a shame that I feel like Hulk never be utilized in the same way again, where he can carry any story instead of the status quo they keep suffocating the character with. Where he'll have brief bouts of interesting and amazing takes by others just to get ready after a dozen or so issues.

What is "the Hellboy effect"

That things that are nearly universely enjoyed don't lend themselves to conversation very well because it just boils down to bunch of people agreeing that it's good and that's about it.

Keown and Mcfarlane carried Peter David to huge sales numbers on the Hulk brother jack dude

Well to be fair a lot this stuff is not reprinted. Michelinie Iron Man has been collected in an Omnibus but that is an expensive way to get into a run. PAD's Hulk run has been slowly coming out in Epic collection and for a while they had the Visionaries line. There are a lot of good runs in Marvel that are not easy to get.

Yet his continued for 60 issues after Keown leaving before Editorial interference where they took him off the book and the sales plummeted. And MacFarlane was a literal nobody at the time and only drew 14 issues. They're both good artists but to imply that they were wholly responsible for his success is ridiculous.

Why did they feel the need to oust him off the book, again? I've never seen a straight answer for that one.

Nobody is more delusional than Byrnefags.

From what I heard the reason they ousted him was that they wanted to do Savage Hulk comics again, and PAD already was invested in his storylines about Bruce himself. To be their was also a heavy regime change at Marvel happening at the time, with Marvel going bankrupt and the slow introduction of the Bill Jemas era. PAD went to DC and indie projects in the meantime. I really should storytime SPYBOY sometime.

It wouldn't be as highly regarded as it is if the art AND the writing weren't both on point.

Therefore Jeff Purves is the weakest part of the run.

I liked Frank and Sharpe just as much as Keown.

I don't like Byrne as a person but you shut your mouth, he's had some solid runs

but his Hulk stuff doesn't even come close to PAD's stuff

Byrne helped Mignola out with Hellboy in Seeds of Destruction

When does David's run begin and end. Also are there any essential arcs. I feel like that period of marvel is often overlooked. Nobody talks about Gruenwald Cap even though it holds up well.

It's from 330 to 467

Troyjan War saga were some of my first comics. Dunno what people think now but they were among my favorites as a kid.

Is PAD still broke as shit and accepting handouts?

Last time I checked he was halfway to his goal.

That's good. PAD can be a sperg at times but I still respect him and it's crazy to think of such an established figure in such a shit situation.

I heard Robert Kirkman donated like 15 grand and PAD said he was gonna watch The Walking Dead because of it. I think I'd actually pay to listen to his live commentary as he streams The Walking Dead.

>I'd argue that they both just work really well together.
I'll have to read this then, I've never read any Hulk but I've been meaning to get into him. I love the work Keown did on Pitt, he's the best early Image artist in my opinion.

That was one of the weakest part of Hellboy.

Byrne's writing is one of the major hurdles I've had getting friends into Hellboy. I've started lending them stuff past Seed simply because they find Byrne's work on it so damn boring.