Black Mask Spotlight Storytime:Black 1-5

Storytime of publisher Black Mask's comic series, last time it was Kim&Kim which can be read over here >

Well time to get the Sup Forums bait out of the way. For those who never heard of this good for you, but it's a comic with the very simple premise black people and only black people have superpowers and that is why the white man keeps them down. Called a very important story on the Black Mask homepage the comic unfortunately is a very amateurish production that relies on shock value(which I have a story about) and it is basically the X-men with one character who is really just Magneto. So let's read and at the end of the storytime I will give a preview of what I plan on next.

>“A young black person gets shot by police. This time, he gets up, discovering that he’s more powerful than he ever could have imagined.
In a time when the African-American community’s fraught relationship with the police is making headlines across the world, BLACK is shaping up to be a superhero comic ripped right out of some of modern America’s biggest social issues.”-io9

>“BLACK follows Kareem Jenkins, a young black teenager who gets racially profiled and gunned down by police only to discover that he is one of many black people with superpowers.”-Comics Alliance

>“A story like BLACK is still important, and necessary… It may attract one demographic more than others, but it parallels current events – so it is a universal story.”-The Washington Post

>“There is, unfortunately, no better time for a comic book like BLACK to be announced and created than right now, because the visual of the young Black man wearing a hoodie and being confronted by the gun(s) of police officers is burned into our collective conscience. It is the image of one of the most prevalent and gross generalizations of our times.”-Comic Book Resources

So do you want to know what I would recommend instead of this? Harbinger.

WE

Another Black Mask book I'm interested in Storytiming because the art is really terrible and I want to get the bad ones done is Jade Street Protection Services, the elevator pitch is magical girl delinquents, and my god the 4th issues art is ugh.

ah good to know where getting it out of the way now.

After Jade Street I'm going to post a comic I like by them,.

THIS COMIC MADE THIS MUCH MONEY ON KICKSTARTER! $91,973

A major flaw with this comic is that this comic introduces so many characters at once. So not a lot of them get panel time besides Kareem.

>Indiscriminately assaulting civilians is a bad look
>Indiscriminately assaulting cops tho is badass
Shieeeeeeeeeet.
Inb4 at least they didn't kill them. You don't need to die to catch that fade for nothing.

It's an authority thing. As much as I do worry about cops hurting them doesn't help anyone and some situations just come down to paranoia getting out of control.

This cover we had to censor at the store....I wonder why this cover didn't create a controversy?

Is this the comic where black people have had powers since history and yet were still enslaved by white people somehow?

yup you got it.

this conversation belongs more in Sup Forums but a friend was telling me about how in the Live action Ghost in the Shell how the cyber people where the one were somehow disenfranchised even though they were the majority and also had more power. Like I get the X-men since there a new thing in universe but come on man.

>Guy helps her out
>She still busts his balls all the way out the door even if it costs him his job
Unbelievable. Also he opened fire on three potentially unarmed young males and killed two.
Bad detective work to forge the facts for a front.

Cool concept, but the execution is fucking horrible on all fronts. Plus it pisses Sup Forumstards off which is an added bonus.
Bump

it's a neat concept....that a more experienced team should have done. I think the best version of this story though is the underrated American Way.

>Ghost in the Shell
>cyborgs are oppressed
... Are you sure you're nit talking about Deus Ex? Cause that's not how that works in GitS. I mean, sure, there's anti-cyborg prejudice, but the people who do that are perceived and portrayed as idiotic twats. Like, the second episode of Stand Alone Complex is about how anti-cyber people are fucking stupid.

Every time this movie comes up, I hear a new dumb thing about it.

It's about a celebrity superhero team in the 1960's getting it's first black member. It has some good concepts with the only major flaw being the who fake publicity superhero concept is very hard to take seriously.

>have superpowers
>da honkeys still kick yo ass an put ya in chainz
Are you sure it's a comic AGAINS Sup Forums and not written by them?

No it was Ghost in the Shell, I love the series I know what your talking about. Like Togusa in the movie is apparently a jerk about being mostly human.

I'm kind of wondering how it got away with the good reviews it got.

>Like Togusa in the movie is apparently a jerk about being mostly human.
Now I'm really glad I didn't catch that thing.

What about asians? Do they have super powers too? Or they really are honorary whites?

There just born ninjas.

It basicly puts blacks in a possition that no matter how powerful they might be or how they WUZ KINGZ AN SHIET they are always going to be enslaved by the superior white man. Sup Forums would fucking love it.

>Like Togusa in the movie is apparently a jerk about being mostly human.
Glad I didn't see this flick, cause I suspect it would just make me angry.

>jews don't get superpowers neither
Sup Forums BTFO!

Well yeah we control the banks duh that's more than enough power. We need to make sure the system is balance.

their nerfing Arabs in the next patch.

What's actually particularly funny about this very narrow concept, from what I can tell now anyway, is that it touts some nonsense about a quark composition producing powers, even though your particle composition shouldn't make you superhuman and should actually make you an inanimate object given atoms require specific subatomic properties in order to produce the behavior and interactions they do for and in organisms and something entirely made from non-normal building blocks instead of some vague bullshit like an X-Gene should just be fucking dead, is it that it runs into several more hiccups genetically even if it got over the initial hurdle because most "black" people in modern america aren't 100% African and in fact you can find some people of different ethnicity who phenotypically appear one way but genetically might have more DNA tracing back to Africa in them despite not expressing itself than the most people who expressly consider themselves pure black.

Ergo I have no idea how any of this facilitates itself even pseudoscientifically, outside of magic there is no circumstance where any one group could have an ability and no other.

Shit, by virtue of even having such selective genetics these people should not be compatible to reproduce with anything or anyone aside from each other resulting in an incomprehensible amount of inbreeding.

Seriously, did none of the creative team notice their basic premise had a huge gaping plot hole in it? Way to fail your spot check.

Like, this would make way more sense if it was a recent thing, where suddenly only now were superpowers starting to emerge.

It's politics driven writing, it's makes a point over making sense, Let me explain a story in Strong Female Protagonist(it's a webcomic)

Have the creator read X-Men? Because this is X-Men?

In the comic there is a character who has a healing factor that uses herself as a organ factor to give people organs they need.

Well, Nation of Islam believes that superadvanced black civilisation was enslaved 6000 years ago by whites who didn't even knew fire at the time.

Now the story glosses over the fact that compatibility is an issue and well it glosses over one big issue to try to make a point.

and I forgot the image. Anyway the character get a docuche to enhance her powers, now she make organs for the whole world.

But what happens when you enhance a healing factor? There is only one step up from that never getting hurt, so her getting surgery would probably be impossible because she would heal too fast for it to make a incision. If the comic made it a mistake or ill-thought out but according to this comic this one person can now provide organs to the entire world.

>But what happens when you enhance a healing factor?
Wouldn't you just explode in a mass of tumors like Hulk in Marvel Ruins?

Hey i was expecting the storytime yesterday, what happen?

Also have in mind black mask has published some good books like "we can never go back" and "4 kids walk into a bank"

And wouldnt you regenerate from that?

It's called life and I had to say goodbye to an ex, so life.

Well that depends on definition of regeneration. Turning into a giant tumor can't be fixed by regeneration. Do you heal wounds or you magically are always in the best of shape. That would also make you immortal and basically indestructible.

can you see what I mean when I said politic driven writing. Even when I agree I hate when logic breaks way too much to make a point.

And do you plan to continue to storytime black mask tittles?

Also yes I know Black Mask has published good comics but the bigs ones are the worst ones so I want to get them out of the way first before I do good things. Take the posion now get a reward.

This could have been good but I feel the execution was just really bad from the get go. The numbers don't make any sense straight away, and it gets really hamfisted when they get to the prison.

4 Kids is great. To use Black Mask's own descriptive methods, it's like A Series of Unfortunate Events meets Stand By Me.

yes I do. I already said ealier that I'm planning on Jade Street next, I'm not going through every title but after Jade Street I'm going to focus on the titles I like. So don't worry chill.

4kids is what I was going to do after Jade Street than onto I was going to give people a vote.

also i want to see if I can find Occupy comics to storytime because that's where the company was started.

Really I want Black Mask to do well but I do feel like I'm looking at a company in growing pains trying to figure out who it want's to be.

Call me naive but a comic called jade street doesnt sounds bad.

Like I don't Kim&Kim might end up being it's gold standard.

It's like delinquent magical girls IIRC. I haven't read it.

i read a interview with the writer and he is pretty cool guy, the interviewer was a dick tho trying to bait the guy, they were talking about Howard Chaykin comic and censorship in the industry, the writer said he didn't give a shit and free expression is a thing the industry needs to protect

Jade Street Protectors is about delinquent magical girls. One character is basically Muslim Louise Belcher in character design at least. I'm just glad none of them are named Daisy Chain.

That is cool. I just wish this comic was better than it ended up being, people put a lot into it. Hell my friends were so torn up about this title because he was didn't want to be the first black person he heard say it was bad.

Hell as a Jew myself I do try to promote comics and stories about being Jewish or themes. Though I have a rule about avoiding recommending Maus because everyone has read that and I hate that Jewish stories have to revolve around to Holocaust to matter.

I used to say Jew either get a Holocaust movie or a Adam Sandler movie each year, I will let you decide what is worst to go to.

people usually write what they know, but it can be fun to write out side your comfort zone tho. i will read anything as long as its good no matter the subject matter. i read a volleyball manga so

Hey that's fair, my thing is I try to avoid themes that have become overexposed and try to get readers exposed to more interesting works.

It's in my writing as well I like to take things apart before I put them back together .

Have you read the Giffen Ragman? It's a pretty good cape thing which is just straight up seeped in the MC's Jewishness.

in my opinion the best super book right is hero academia, i know its not Sup Forums but its vastly more interesting isn't full of sjw politics shit and its a lot of fun with endearing characters

Yeah I loved it, wished there was a trade I could have used for the Hannukah display I had at the store.

wonder if the creators know their real enemy was Obama and white supremacist do not really exist any more!

>Hell as a Jew myself I do try to promote comics and stories about being Jewish or themes.
So most of big two stuff?

Just cuz amerikkka made its leader for 8 years a black guy doesn't mean it's not a white supremacist country.

I would ask not to post an image during storytime till I'm done. But yeah I dig my hero, I'm also a fan of a lot of DC rebirth stuff right now. Though my favorite superhero comics are Nothing Can Stop Juggernaught from Amazing Spider-man.