Name a more creatively bankrupt era in the history of the big two?

Other urls found in this thread:

marvel.com/comics/unlimited
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't read D.C., but wasn't Rebirth well received and reviewed? They de-BLACKED Wally and shit.

>Rebirth
A genuine retrenchment from the New 52. A main line with no cancellations a year in. Multiple small imprints and original OGNs, miniseries and and prestige series all intended to be creatively different to the main line. New creators, the return of esteemed old creators.

>Legacy
A cash-in attempt on Rebirth. The same books with the same creators. Miniseries not identified as miniseries. Variant covers.

>A genuine retrenchment from the New 52.

Not really that genuine. Just same shit with a classic paintcoat.

It's like MCU. It might be famous and all, but only because it caters to people who want some dumb and safe superhero comics.

What comics do you anons like?

Marvel comics

>same shit
from Superman being a Dad to Deathstroke having a team, most characters are doing things or are in situations they've never been in.

Just stfu and admit you don't read comics. Why even try to discuss something you aren`t reading?

You DC guys are not even trying to be subtle anymore.

You should read Marvel comics then, user. Thor has never been in a situation of being a woman or Iron man has never been in a situation of being a black teenage girl. Truly changing the medium.

It's funny how people actually believe this shit. Marvel comics are at their lowest point in decades and yet you still have to be a DC shill to admit the glaring discrepancy in quality!

>The current situation at big two

Those characters aren't Thor or Iron Man.

>IT'S OK WHEN DC DOES IT!
Every. Fucking. Time.

>Marvel comics are at their lowest point in decades

Show me actual numbers to back this up instead of spewing DC fanboy hyperbole.

the fact they are overshipping issues ?
retailers not being happy with the direction marvel is taking ?

Because those comics aren't utter dogshit

It seems like you chucklefucks keep overlooking that

you will get there. one day you will realize how the stories go nowhere. sure some things change for a bit but it always goes back to the regular. it's boring.

>more bias talk, no numbers

just as expected

They're both equally shit. Memeasi's Superman being considered the best book of rebirth just shows how mediocre the entire thing is.

Deathstroke is the uncontested best book of Rebirth dumb fuck

in the era of loot boxes and shit why don't they do monthly anthology subscriptions? like say oay $20 a month, get an issue of each Batman series for that month, some lame funko, and a shirt

One good book doesn't make much of a difference. The rest is completely mediocre dreck.

Literally go to youtube and you'll find dozens of videos of Marvel basically bankrupting small retailers by over-shipping, or how people are commenting that literally no one at their stores are buying their dogshit. Or how Marvel diehard fans are pissed that their company is nothing but SJW pandering garbage hiring tumblrinas and nonames strictly because they're expendable, cheap and highly fireable.

Is this your first time on the internet shitweasle?

Early 90's

Numerical breakdown here:
But of course the numbers don't count because "sale != quality" ... unless it's the month just after a DC reboot when they, oh-so-briefly, take the lead for a month or two. That's different!

>like say oay $20 a month, get an issue of each Batman series for that month
marvel.com/comics/unlimited

They're going to, they're launching a DC "netflix" where they'll air a shitload of animated shows, comic viewers and other shit.

Early 90s DC was great, you pleb. Early 90s had writers like Morrison, Gaiman, Milligan, Grant and Ostrander putting out some of the best stuff DC has ever printed. Now they have Tomasi, Tynion and Jurgens.

Deathstroke, New Super-Man and Shade the Changing Girl are the best books of Rebirth.

>randos on youtube!
The plural of anecdote is not data, user.

And we HAVE data:
But buck up, kiddo: when Crisis on Infinite Dark Knights hits there's the outside change you might scrape a win. For a month or two. Before you fall back to your natural state: riding bitch to the Mouse.

Does that chart count the massive overshipping Marvel's been doing?

Shade is not even rebirth. New Super-man is just alright, but nothing mind blowing.

>s-sales are more important than quality!
Me preferring Rebirth to Legacy is not a personal attack on you. There are many Marvel comics I love. I would love to be reading good Marvel comics again.

But the quality and creative output of DC today is miles above the Marvel output. Marvel is as bad as I have ever seen it. DC is starting to slant towards some stuff that worries me - this Metal mini reminds me of a lot of bad events - but at least there are good books to read. Marvel is just... nothing, right now.

I agree with that actually, but DC isn't only Rebirth. They've been putting out stuff like Young Animal, Wild Storm, and Flintstones that I think is a lot more interesting than the Rebirth line.

>Shade is not even rebirth
Published under Rebirth = Rebirth. The YA imprints are part of the new DC. To say otherwise is just nit-picking; it would be like me saying Icon wasn't Marvel.

>someone obviously has never stepped out of his basement to a comic shop
Hey there buckaroo how about you go to a local shop and see the DC side compared to the Marvel side tell me what you see. Shit like this has been going on for years because their garbage is failing. Check any comicbook news site this is not news, their numbers themselves are a fucking meme for damage control.

>Now they have Tomasi, Tynion and Jurgens.
Everyone has their eyes on TWD and Saga these days. TWD esp since it's not only in the top 5 every month by also sells trades like hotcakes AND scored that sweet sweet Hollywood cash.

So if you're in it for the money you're better off going full Millar and if you're in it for the art you're STILL better off doing your own IP.

Image related is referring to DC in the past; but I have no doubt that Editorial Mandates are still a blight on creatives at the Big Two. The level of Synergy alone would be soul killing.

>Thor has never been in a situation of being a woman
Objectively wrong, faggot.

The best book on rebirth according to Sup Forums is chinese superman, which is pretty fucking great.

Are you serious?
The 1950's was garbage for both companies.
The mid-70's also had both companies truggling to remain relevant.
The mid-to-late 90's were garbage for both companies too.

While this isn't the best time for either company, it's clearly not the worst.

Marvel sells their issues at higher prices, pushes 19 more titles than DC, and has launched more #1s every month, yet they're only barely larger than DC

>Batman and Manhunter are dead
>Superman is leaving earth
>Hal is forming his own league
Honestly, that sounds like what it must be like trying to write at current Marvel. THE CIRCLE OF LIIIIIIFFFE!

>Memeasi's Superman
>not New Super-Man
You people are missing out if you aren't reading Chinese Superman.

Yup, also There were some What If stories, where Rogue had the power of Thor, as well as Jane Foster.

You're fucking retarded my dude. Give yourself a lead lobotomy.

>yet they're larger than DC
lmao every fucking month

A day ago someone was lauding New Superman that is was great that you wouldn't regret picking up so just for shits and giggles I bought issues 1-4, they were fucking great. Went back to buy the rest an hour later.

>barely
10% is "barely"?

Yes, selling 19 more titles and launching more #1s will probably do that

No one on here is considering that the best of rebirth. I can think of five books better than superman.

Then there was even that time Wonder Woman did it, back during Marvel vs DC. Earth X Thor is actually Thor as a woman, to boot, not just a woman with the power of Thor.

Some time back I picked up every issue up to current based purely on good word of mouth. It's now one of the highlights of my pull and I even grab the variants. Sucks that the sales are so low.

>ship nearly double the books
>only manage to scrape an 8% lead in market share
lel

Your point is irrelevant because Marvel does that 8 out of 12 months each year. It's like complaining that they do 4 crossover events per year. it's just what they do, deal with it. Problem with DC is that they wanted to play marvel's game and they're losing on account of genuinely not being as scummy as Marvel and on the fact that Marvel has experience in this game. But DC sacrificed quality to enter this game

>Sucks that the sales are so low.
I hope it picks up I really do, what I think is killing it is the creators want to establish them without many crossovers but I think it's killing them too since comic book fans are always VERY wary about new titles.

The comic literally has "Super-man" in the title...

chinky-man is the best DC comic and it's top tier, first time i've enjoyed capeshit in ages

Tbh New Super-man held in such high regard doesn't help. It's a "fun" comic, but nothing more than that, and it wouldn't be considered this good were it published during an actually decent era.
Deathstroke is top tier though.

>le 90s were bad casual

Um, Marvel's trying to copy DC and all u fuckers seem to like current DC but hate current Marvel

>No top creator wants to write for DC or Marvel, when they could be getting paid more from their own work instead. Even if they do, they just phone it in. Just look at how Lemire, Snyder and Aaron write for superhero comics, compared to their own work.
>They are being run by mediocre fanboy writers like Bendis and Johns.

Do any of those stories contain the word "mansplaining"?

Well we hold slightly more high-brow and less fun comics like Vision or Moon Knight in high regard too, but those come around once in a blue moon regardless of the era.

Marvel's taking the piss, m8

>near logo copy
>harking back to classic stories we all know aren't going to be topped and are just getting rehashed for the 52nd time

At least Marvel don't reboot every five years and try to dress up reprint trades as new material for "new" readers. There are no new readers who care about that shit; continuity is what there is from the point you started reading, and fuck everything else. Why bother trying to unify it or make sense of it all? It's a goddamn comic book.

>top creator

Yeah? So that's what, Kirkman? Alan Moore doesn't write comic books any more. Nobody else even sells in the same league any more unless you count Miller, who's been a director/producer/screenwriter for 25+ years now and an increasingly poor producer of comic books. He might still be an adequate director but he can't draw for shit any more. Never mind his lines, when was the last time you heard someone raving about his framing, the storytelling of his panels? Not like they did back in the 80s, is it? He's mediocre now.

Kirkman I'm not even sure even does anything. I'm pretty sure even Walking Dead is ghosted the way it feels so hacky and phoned in for the past 100 issues, and fuck knows he can afford to go full Jim Davis with his very own Garfield. Let him.

Other than Kirkman or Moore or Miller, who's sold even close to what they sold at the Big 2 in the past decade? Hickm - don't even say his name. You're wasting your breath. Oh maybe Millar? Fuck Millar. He's producing over-detailed pitches for movies that sell but mostly never get made.

Comics are dead. There's no big talent left if you're going to ignore the Slotts and the Kings just because they're on books bigger than they'll ever personally be.

The new 52 then marvel does marvel,marvel now2.0,all new marvel,all new all different marvel,all new all different all diverse this the last time we promise marvel now 2.0

Hagagagagagagahahahahahahhaa

Can gay!Bobby mansplain?

>Rebirth
>creatively bankrupt

Go and stay go

I'm not sure Kirkman even counts as a big name. Nobody cares for him. People just care for TWD. By big creators, I meant talented people, not necessarily high sellers.

Because Jurgens and Humphries are top talent.

There was the 90s, where DC was simultaneously printing stuff like Sandman, Shade, LotDK, Doom Patrol, Animal man, Suicide squad etc.