Now that the dust has settled, how was Superior Spiderman?

Is it worth a read?
Was it an acceptable run?
Do you regret reading it?

It's the best part of Slott's run and a wild ride. The main book may not have been the most consistent, but it was worth it if only for the side-books. Superior Spider-man Team-up was great.

>Is it worth a read?
Not really. The plot hinges on the fact that the supporting cast is completely retarded (except for Carlie Cooper, because EVERYONE loves Carlie).

>Was it an acceptable run?
Eh. There were some good moments here and there, but then something infuriatingly stupid would happen.

>Do you regret reading it?
A bit.

Squandered potential, it was a good idea with horrible execution though it did have its moments.

Like everything written by Slott, it was a decent idea that suffered by being written by Slott.
It was much better executed when he was in Non-Slott books.

Overall I thought it turned out to be a pretty compelling story. It had a few rough patches, but when it was good, it was great! It really rose Otto Octavious in ways I never would have imagined and the introduction of Anna Marconi was very welcome. The whole ghost Peter thing was a little odd but I understand why Slott felt like he needed to include it. Honestly if I had to choose one thing I didn't like about the series it would be that moment when Peter was going to let a child die just so Otto wouldn't discover him in his subconscious. I honestly don't know why Slott felt the need to include that, all it did was make Peter look horrible. But it was a minor moment in an otherwise great run.

Not to mention that ending for Otto was amazing! I never thought I'd actually get chocked up by the death of Dr. Octopus but that was incredibly well done and very fitting. Makes me all the more angry they just immediately brought him back in Secret Empire.

>Is it worth a read?
No, unless you want to have first-hand info on why it's bad
Ha, god no
It was a waste of time, but spread out over weeks. I'd have felt worse f I dedicated more continuous time to it

No. Superior was complete and utter shit. Almost OMD tier.

I liked it; I read about half of it as it was being posted here on Sup Forums and after the fact bought up the TPB set in order to enjoy it in its entirety. It's silly, it requires some suspension of disbelief and it's hammy in places, but that's what a good super hero story always has going on anyway, so I don't hold that against it. The ending was a bit rushed and ham-handed (the very end with Osborn vanishing so effortlessly and so abruptly after the final battle), but aside from that I enjoyed it for what it is: A story with a beginning, middle and end, which is something quite rare in modern cape comics. I can appreciate the ambition and storytelling, and the character was solidly entertaining throughout.

it was one of the first times i saw peter as a flawed possibly bad guy and bully. now goku is evil too. growing up is hard

Superior.

Better than Spider-Verse for sure. And better than whatever the hell happened after it.

>now goku is evil too
Literally how? He's too dumb to be anything. He just wants to fight strong opponents for the heck of it.

It was a fun ride. Everything after is irredeemable garbage though.

im being hyperbolic. im just referring to characters having more nuance than being a perfect moral good superman. goku was portrayed that way in the initial american dub.

seeing peter through doc ocks eyes was a similar effect of seeing a hero you idolized as just a man with his own flaws. havent read it in a while but i sympathized with dr ock a lot in this story.

>Is it worth a read?
No. Pampers Otto too much, while disregarding practically every other Spidey supporting character, making them either stupid or assholes. And the novelty of Otto in Peter's body got old fast.

No. A good run to me is one that can help build up a character. The Superior run did nothing to build on Peter's character. This reads more like a what if story that was stretched for too long and inserted into the main continuity to ensure it sold better

I dropped Spidey after OMD. This was the only post OMD story I read because I was recommended it by some faggot. I want to kill him for making me waste my money on this trash.

y
y
n

I like it very much. If you don't know anything you should go and read it all before you spoil too much, just remember to read the art that leads-up to superior, teamup and foes of superior.
The arc that leads to spiderman 700 was, almost tearjerking. The story beyond that was even better, we see peter reaching something with his life, he was a scientist 50 years ago, when he invented the web shooter and web formula. In a old thread we talked about that, the classic fan want a classic Peter (broke, young, single, photo reporter). This new interaction with a (mad)scientist was very interesting to read... till they give up to the hate and fucked all up.
Spiderverse is... such wasted potential. so many good pg, so much inventive, and we got spiderpork, spidergwen. Fukking SPIDERGWEN, and that bitch silk that is already forgotten

>goku was portrayed that way in the initial american dub
Really? I always perceived Goku as dumb as a brick, he just knew how to behave when shit got serious

Now he's dumber than ever, maybe because Super is more like a gag show (like the first part of the manga), it's just a fun ride, shit never gets serious (except maybe this last arc)

I mean ever watched GT? It was so sad, Goku was underpowered and weak as fuck, it was truly a depressive future that put the past series in perspective (shit, even using the damn dragonballs was revealed as wrong and dangerous)

>Is it worth a read?
Eh. It was a marketing ploy. Like when they killed Superman and brought him back to life over some stupid shit.
The current bar it too low for that. Regardless, the supporting cast was way too stupid. Only some silly OC noticed something wrong with all of it. It's ridiculous
I didn't buy it, a friend did. I honestly don't give a shit about the story at this point

Yes it's a lot of fun and it feels like there's actual stakes

I'm still so fucking mad about the ending
>I'm the superior Spider-Man, I can do whatever you do but better!
>Oh no! I can't do this! Here, you are the superior Spider-Man after all, be shure to clean all my fuck ups mkay byeee~
That ending ruined the entire run for me, at the beginning I was trying to enjoy it, even when the fucking Gobling re appeared building his sewer army I was willing to give it a chance, but then Otto has a challenge that didn't go according to his keikaku and bails so damn hard.
Fuck this run.

Yes
No
No

It was not a very good run. Writing was flat, no character reacted the way they should have. Did have a few good points (mostly the ending and delicious shortstack love interest). Funnily enough, other writers managed to write really amazing Superior Spiderman issues. All of his teamups were great (The Deadpool issue and the Young X-Men issue are particular highlights). So really, it wasn't the concept that sucked, just Slott's hacky writing.

Looking back at it, it may be enjoyable if you know that Pete is coming back at the end. Reading it as it was released just felt like being jerked around too much, viewing it as a complete arc may make it a bit better.

Like the rest of Slott's Spider-Man it was fucking awful. It just happened to be marginally better than the rest of the shit he's written lately.

>Looking back at it, it may be enjoyable if you know that Pete is coming back at the end. Reading it as it was released just felt like being jerked around too much

Seriously, how? You genuinely, truly thought the Superior thing was going to last forever? Spider-man as a mad scientist constantly followed by ghost Peter Parker?
How old are you?

Okay, that was a strangely hostile reaction. And no, like everyone I knew that Peter was coming back eventually (Ghost Pete showing up in the first issue was a pretty good hint). What I meant was that if you know that Superior Spiderman only has a certain run of issues, you can view it more as a self-contained arc than the endless serial that Slott and Marvel was trying to market it as.

It's a little like how watching a TV show as it comes out is different than binge watching it. Some of the tension and pacing changes when you have an idea of when it's ending.

Not even close.

Here's the thing: I enjoyed it a good deal, but I do not read Spider-Man regularly at all. I feel like that's an important distinction to make when talking about these stories that make a hard-left turn story out of a franchise.

For instance. I'm a fan of the Punisher. I'm so much a fan I contribute to a podcast based on him. I thought the Franken-Castle run was horrific. To me it was a desperate gimmick that shoved in some Nietzsche quotes for fake depth. But the general public and non-Punisher fans thought it was a fun romp (I'm not saying Punisher fans that enjoyed the Franken-Castle run don't exist, but they are much fewer in number).

I knew Frank Castle would go back to normal eventually, but that also meant the writer was just wasting my time with his bullshit and hoping I'd buy them out a sense of duty or completionism.

So yeah, I enjoyed Spock, but I'm also not going to argue with a Spider-Man fan when they tell me its shit. They probably know something about the character and his world that I don't.

t. Dan Slott

Jesus, back for the first time in years (stay away from Sup Forums, serious heartburn) and you fags are still talking about this?

It's a fun ride. Give it a read if you have the spare change. It's comics. Most importantly: Have fun.

the best thing about it was that black and red suit.

greatest of all time tier. could've used web pits.

Also, I just want to add that the experience would probably have been a lot better if you'd read it as it occurred. It hinged on a gimmick and now that Pete's back it doesn't really matter anymore.

Eh, that's not really true. You could say that about a lot of super hero stories. The crux of the story is about Otto dealing with the change of scenery and deciding what kind of hero he wants to be. Most of the time it means "be a huge asshole," but he does grow as a character as the story goes on.

The ending accomplished what the series set out to do. Otto thought he was superior because he didn't realize that using supervillain methods to achieve heroic ends doesn't make you a hero. When Peter revealed himself, Otto realized that for all his posturing, Peter was the only one who knew how to act like a hero, and that's what was needed to save the day.

Or is your objection to the fact that Otto didn't stay around longer?

The first half of the run is the best thing to come out of Spider Man in decades. Multiple decades.

Then they realized Ock was too good and Slott flanderized him to fuck and back to make the readers dislike him enough that the inevitable reset wouldn't result in rioting.

That's a fair statement. But what you have to remember is that Sup Forums only recognizes things as either great or shitty, there's no gray area

It was a story built on the shock value of killing off Spider-Man, and having one of his villains (I refuse to buy into Slott's BS of calling Otto his greatest villain. That's always been Norman or the Jackal, never Otto.) wear his skin like a suit.

The problem is, the only way the story worked was to have everyone literally too stupid to notice something was wrong. Mary Jane, who he dated for years didn't think "Man, something's wrong with Pete". The Avengers were like "Spider-Man seems off. Oh well, just ignore it." Everyone was taking stupid pills.

And then, the biggest insult of it is that fucking Carlie Cooper is the only one who's like "THAT'S NOT PETER" like she's suddenly some ace fucking detective.

And now we have to deal with it all over again, with Otto in a Ben Reilly clone body, working for Hydra.

It did give us two great costumes, though, and Otto's motivations written by anyone BUT Slott were actually cool. Just, fucking Slott, man. It's like he made Otto his self-insert, and even then he pusses out of doing anything remotely cool with Otto as Spider-Man.

Buddy, I've been here for a long time. I know. But I think I figured out a good reason why with my first paragraph. People don't normally stay on Sup Forums long unless they have a deep interest in something (and/or they are broken inside).

Someone who is a big fan of Spider-Man are going to have stricter guidelines on what is a "good" Spider-Man story than an outsider would. It's why I can enjoy Spock; I can watch Otto fuck up Peter's social and superhero life and not care that much. A Spider-Man fan is just going to wonder how long it's going to take to get things back on track.

It's irredeemable trash and one of the worst Spider-Man stories out there. Fuck everyone who's defending this abysmal writing by going "i-it's fun", "just turn off your brain", etc.
You are the most tasteless faggot ITT. Congratulations.

Angry Parkerfag detected. Disregarding post.

WHy is it, that he's great at characterization, overall story ideas, and making decent characters, but he cannot write for shit?

Tasteless retard with low standards detected. Disregarding post.
>LE PARKERFAGS XD is still the only argument your retardkind can come up with
Sad.

>he's great at characterization
Holy fucking shit, you can't be serious
>and making decent characters
Pfffthahaha

Norman was dead for decades and Jackal only appeared a few times before being killed off and also be dead for decades.

Meanwhile Otto was one of his oldest villains and constantly appeared as the main villain on annuals and several big arcs

I kind of ahte that he was still a bad guy in Peter's body. He intially only went crazy because of a slight mental break combined with the trauma of having giant metal ocotpi legs radioactively burned into his spine. He also had some brain degredation from the radiation or something? So if he was transferred into Pete's body, he should've become kindly old Otto again.

There was only one memorable moment in the whole run.

You know which one I'm talking about.

Peter deserved to die.

If that was Slott, he would've defended the parts that made Peter look bad and said it was fantastic that Otto came back so soon.

No, it was terrible. Slott tried to spin spider-man into a new direction and just illustrated that he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing when it comes to spider-man as a character.

The supporting cast got shat on, ock never struggles with ANYTHING and we get some really compelling fight scenes like "Suit, activate plan epsilon seven. *tek*". Some great stuff. The only good things to come out of Superior were Superior Foes, and... I think it was Avenging Spider-man #14? The one right after ASM 700.

SpOck raids an old lair, and has some actual interesting character development, but not even Yost really touched on it in Superior Team Up, so I'd call that book a wash too.

Also the book in general was padded the fuck out and full of filler. Shit did not need to be 10 issues, especially when Ock only grows and struggles as a character in the last 5.

>Is it worth a read?
At this point? No, even with Otto returning, anything you might need to know is better of glanced at from a wiki page of the story. The tie-ins and side issues were typically at least decent, though, so those might be worth something.
It started interestingly enough but soon fell straight down into the usual Slott mediocrity when it became apparent that anyone who interacted with SpOck was going to become/act like an idiot for the entirety of the story. In general I don't think almost any of Slott's run has been too acceptable.
Yes, and it was a huge contributor to why I've since dropped all Marvel comics. I got to around the Superior Venom bit before dropping the book itself, only catching the last issue or two on here due to general curiosity.

It was pretty surreal to read Yost's stuff which was relatively well-written side by side with Slott's obnoxious terrible writing. It was kind of hard to believe it's the same character at times, kek.

It was an interesting idea that went on far too long.

And the longer it went on, the more plot hoops they had to jump through to justify why NOBODY around him seemed to consider he might be mind-controlled, possessed, cloned, or body-switched and not himself. Even if they did consider it, some plot contrivance would get in the way to make an excuse for why they didn't tell anyone.

Fuck off, Slott. No one cares about your pet character.

I know people hate Slott, but I have enjoyed parts of his run. This was one of them. I liked how Otto was as Spidey. Him punching Black Cat was a great panel. The story was hurt by having to exist in a world with other heroes. If Spider-man was a solitary hero who had this happen to him, it'd make sense. This story required too many heroes to be dumb so that Otto wouldn't get found out until later. I'd like to see this adapted as a movie later in Holland's Spidey career.

>And the longer it went on, the more plot hoops they had to jump through to justify why NOBODY around him seemed to consider he might be mind-controlled, possessed, cloned, or body-switched and not himself.
Maybe they wouldn't have to if Slott wrote Ock as an intelligent sociopath (and no, convenient anti-villain tech is not a sign of writing an intelligent character) but that would require Slott to know how to write intelligent characters.

Honestly, Yost's book was way better than Superior, but I found it ultimately disappointing, since it never touched on the ideas he introduced in his first book with Spock. It definitely wasn't good enough to justify the shitshow superior was.

My objection is that Otto just shit everywhere, destroying Peter's and Spider-Man's reputation in the process just to bail out at the first inconvenience, leaving Peter in bad terms with everyone in the city and trying to deal with the rest of shit that Otto just left unresolved.

It's part that I'm mad that Otto just came and enjoy the super hero part leaving Peter to pay the bill, and that the story just made Otto look like a bitch that didn't want to be responsible of his actions

>otto does virtually little to hide that he's not peter but nobody really notices
>he bullshits and keikakus his way out virtually any situation
>slott went on twitter three times to tell people that he was going to piss them off and was right two of the times
>the worst writer for spock was slott himself as other writers made spock a flawed person that actually tried to be a hero and had to endure constant jabs at otto
>spock guilts peter into thinking he tried to kill a girl to get his body back, a girl who's life was in danger due to otto trying to kill half the population
>destroyed black cat's character growth and had her become a ruthless crime lord
>used peter's body to kill and have sex with midgets
>the venom arc
>created a convoluted story about peter losing all his memories except for 31 and then somehow getting them back even though the memories were deleted from the brain but there was a feedback loop so that the deleted memories were still there and that whole thing was made unnecessary in the span of two issues
>arc goes on for too long and it becomes obvious that even slott didn't have that much planned for this
>norman comes in and makes otto give up in record time so even peter's return was lackluster and rushed
>norman loses his powers and makes the most unbelievable getaway possible
>even spockfags were pissed off with the ending

It was a shit show and it sold lots of comics. It was the Transformers franchise of Spider-Man comics

Oh and when Peter finally told MJ what happened, she was like "but what about me, Peter? why does this keep happening to you?"

Holy shit, she didn't care that his body was taken over by a villain and his life was almost ruined. She didn't even try to comfort him. And Carly fucked off since Slott was done with her.

Remember, Doctor Octopus guilt tripped Peter and came out acting like he was better.

I'd say it was really good up to and including the Spider-Slayer arc. After that things go downhill fast. The venom and 2099 stories were clearly rushed filler and I'm still mad at how disappointing the ending was.

I loved Yost's work with SpOck for most of the run but it sort of suffers in the end as the story couldn't be resolved in a spin-off like it sometimes seemed like it would have been. Like, I remember there's one two-part piece he did where Otto almost goes to the Avengers and confesses to everything, but doesn't, mostly because the book wasn't called "Superior Spider-Man". Not to mention all the interesting stuff that could have been done with a Superior Six, and that new(?) lightning/sun girl that got introduced.

I also personally think it would have been vastly more interesting to see the fallout that would have happened with the Avengers and, hopefully, his core cast, as we didn't really get much in that regard from Slott and Yost could have done it better going off the character interactions I remember from Avenging/Superior Team-Up. It certainly would have been better than this shit

>Hey, remember that moment when Spock whipped out Peter rom existence?
>It was all right, cuz Peter's memories survived hidden deep inside his brain
>Then Spock killed him off again
>And peter survived again

This run was shock value after shock value just for shock value

This. I was hype when it started, loved the costume too, the overall story was just bad... And like mentioned by other anons, hinged on everyone else in universe taking heavy doses of trademarked Stephanie Brown stupid pills.

Fuck Slott, don't bruise your back patting it that fuckin' hard bud.

> I never thought I'd actually get chocked up by the death of Dr. Octopus but that was incredibly well done and very fitting.

Yeah, to bad. The Otto now don't have these memories.

would it good if was a brief story-arc. mediocre as ongoing because of plot armor.

it was fucking retarded

Goku just likes to fight and fight people who are stronger than him.He is dumb as fuck but when he doesn't like some one it's not because of a lack of justice it's just the dudes a prick.

this, it was a load of shit

this was the worst part, not that slott fucked peter but he made other characters go, Meh I don't care any more by pete. Fuck slott.

he wad trying to use the game of thrones meathod

>Is it worth a read?
eh, if you don't have anything else to do...
that's been the last time I've ever been interested in Spiderman. mostly thanks to Sup Forums storytimes.

>I dropped Spidey after OMD. This was the only post OMD story I read because I was recommended it by some faggot. I want to kill him for making me waste my money on this trash.

I recommend Spider-man and the X-men: It's just silly adventures with Pete being a teacher. It's also not written by Slott

We got this.

Who would ever consider Jackal as a bigger villain over Doc Ock?
Jackal is part of the shitty clone saga, Ock has been in the movies.

>My objection is that Otto just shit everywhere, destroying Peter's and Spider-Man's reputation in the process just to bail out at the first inconvenience
Well that's oversimplifying it quite a bit.

>Otto just came and enjoy the super hero part leaving Peter to pay the bill
I will give you that one. It's a pretty shitty way to return to the "Spider-Man is a menace" state of things.

I mean I've read more than a few Spider-Man comics myself and I still enjoy this. I don't think it has so much to do with how much you know about the character as much as it is personal taste. And trust me, there have been some BAD Spidey comics, and this is nowhere near those levels.

Oh hey I own that art.

the only good thing to come out of Superior

Slott just loves using MJ to piss people off. First this, then the end of the Regent rehash where it looked like she and Peter were hanging out again, only to reveal that she chose to have dinner with Tony rather than go to the reunion.

I thought otto bailing was always a part of his keikaku. IIRC, during that Spiderverse event, he encounters future Peter and realizes that Peter does regain control eventually.

I always assumed that he left some sort of backdoor to come back when he was ready. I haven't been following spidey so idk if anything has happened.

It's funny how Superior seemed to be cursed. It made Gage a shitty writer, Spider-Man Team Up got cancelled at the end of Superior, and who could forget our boy Spencer!

The Otto at the end of Superior wasn't aware of Spiderverse due to it happening when he was in the future and going back erased his memories. So the Otto at the end of Superior was gone and the one from Spiderverse is the one that carried over. That Otto never had a redemption and was still evil. And now he's back and once again thinking he's superior.

Reminder that Slott openly argued that MJ's character is "anti-Marvel" as she's a perfect supermodel that had everything handed to her in life and that Peter was shallow to ever choose her as lover while Otto is the real deep gentleman for loving Anna Maria despite her looks

The very next issue after the end of Superior showed he secretly had a brain backup in his robot servant and was already planning to somehow get back, because fuck suspense and actual consequences. But that's how far I've been, stopped buying ASM since and won't start again until the fat fuck is gone

> stopped buying ASM since and won't start again until the fat fuck is gone
He's here till issue 800 at least.

But the numbers reset.