Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nOeK0Ig-H9g
youtube.com/watch?v=RNlZdI6ThDo
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Cool-World
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Cool-World-Movie-Adaptation
youtube.com/watch?v=biSoPF0rWw4
bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/lists/10-best-peter-lorre-performances
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are you reading my mind? I Just caught a character using The Voice on Scary Larry today.

Is Peter Lorre the most imitated/parodied actor in all of animation?

This maggot from corpse bride looks a lot like him.

He might very well be. Though, I expect at least half the time it's unintentional due to him having been sort of absorbed into the lexicon of pop culture stock characters.

His caricatures are so much more exaggerated than what you normally see in parody of popular actors. A few features sure but the typical Peter Lorre look is so heavily modified. The lips always seem like the most overdone part, at this point newer Peter Lorre caricature are more a reference to previous caricature than the actor himself.

Is Steve Buscemi our modern day equivalent?

It's him or Arnold Schwartzenegger

If you only played the early games and are confused, they changed his voice around Crash Bash.

DEEPEST LORRE

I waited for the day I get show this rare gem.
youtube.com/watch?v=RNlZdI6ThDo

Hey, why did that electronics repair guy screw two forks to the sides of a kettle or combine a can opener, a lamp, and a shaver anyway?

So is everything else.

Combining tools was a pretty popular gimmicky trend through a lot of the 20th century. Like having a swiss army knife that had your knife, can opener, and screwdriver folded up right in your pocket was a nifty and novel idea when it first came out. A lot of people made products trying to capitalize on the novelty of that concept. And by the 80s and 90s it was a popular joke to parody that trend and have a would-be inventor character just slap together appliances or tools that really probably shouldn't go together resulting in a shoddy nonsensical product that no one would actually buy. I think they did the same basic joke in the Gremlins and probably in Honey I Shrunk the Kids. But in Brave Little Toaster it's obviously taken a step further by having the appliances be sentient, meaning the mishmash would be like a frankenstein's monster.

As for screwing the forks onto the kettle, I'm sure that was just to make the design look zany, there was probably no idea of a purpose behind it.

>not using gumshoos

Who's idea was it to make a cartoon about Peter Lorre trying to eat bird?

Here's a rare Peter Lorre from the cool world prequel comic.

That was made before gen7

Lorre possibly beats him due to being around longer.

>For the first two seasons of the Ren & Stimpy Show (except for "Monkey See, Monkey Don't", "The Great Outdoors", a scene in "Stimpy's Fan Club" and "Cat Who Laid the Golden Hairball") and the Adult Party Cartoon, creator John Kricfalusi provided Ren's voice. He voiced Ren in a manner he described as a "Bad imitation of Peter Lorre"

now i've seen everything

Thanks professah

R Lee Ermey

I haven't seen such a beautiful bubble since I was a child...

who is that guy actually?

An actor. Known for playing creepy and evil characters.

There was a Cool World prequel comic? I need to know more.

Actor from the golden era. He's probably most famous for M and Casablanca.

Literally just google it.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Cool-World
What's interesting is that it uses elements that would be cut from the final film (like Sweet Place which was in the game)
There's also an adaptation of the film itself.
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Cool-World-Movie-Adaptation

If I had a time machine I'd want to hang out with Peter Lorre and Vincent Price.

>a Matrix Reloaded parody too

That would be Bob Wickersham

they make me laugh!

yeah but why?

Preferably at Bela Lugosi's funeral.

>A HAuuuh

crash bash is so bad

The original meme

see Old cartoons parodied him, and later people influenced by those cartoons kept using him because those older cartoons had done so. It's such a distinctive persona that people will immediately recognize it even if they have no idea who Peter Lorre was.

that's steve buscemi

Steve Buscemi has confirmed that he too is a reference to Peter Lorre.

A lot of his big roles were playing the "evil foreigner" part so it's not surprising that his caricatures were very unflattering.

I'm sure it probably defaults to Elvis or something.

Steve Buscemi impressions do not sound or look quite like that. It's clearly supposed to be a Peter Lorre.

I don't get this shit
Is this supposed to be just "creepy" or is it pop culture reference?

Both, Lorre was a Jew and often played Jewish characters, foreign, sinister, criminal.
Kinda like how Gary Busey always plays a creep.

holy shit are you people 9 years old?

non-americanos
I have never seen Peter Lorre movies in TV
My country never showed Peter Lorre movie

Aside from the Peter Lorre thing, you should just check out Casablanca just because. It's a pretty good and very iconic film. It in fact has nothing to do with the White House.

The Peter Lorre caricature is more well known than Lorre himself so I'm not surprised there are people who don't know who it is.

Plus as someone else pointed out, the classic Lorre caricature is so exaggerated (along with a heavily exaggerated accent) that you could watch a movie with Peter Lorre in it and not realize it's the same guy you always saw in Looney Tunes. The caricature kind of took on a life of its own.

The guy died over 50 years ago, calm your tits.

Same thing happens with Edward G. Robinson, though in his case he really only has a single role that gets parodied.

His voice is so easy to imitate that Mel Blanc could do at least a recognizable impression. (Blanc was a terrible celebrity impressionist and they usually got other actors to do them.)

youtube.com/watch?v=biSoPF0rWw4

I don't get that big lips shit

His lips looks normal

that short was entirely composed of pop culture references.

Thing is that they just get him to do the voice so it isn't really imitation

Don't tell Sup Forums his history, they'll shitpost every thread.

A Jewish guy who used his friendship with an American director to get snuck out of a hotel and to America in a suitcase while Nazi SS were searching for him.

Became a huge actor in the US, and although Casablanca and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea were the most mainstream movies he was in it was the little known masterpiece Arsenic And Old Lace which gave his massive influence in Hollywood.

Peter Lorre was the original meme actor

Short face and a resting overbite.

When compensating for said resting overbite he ended up puffing up his lips a bit in some movies.

bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/lists/10-best-peter-lorre-performances

Next to W.C. Fields, Paul Lynde and Groucho Marx.

This is a pretty fascinating thread, to be honest. I never knew he was a real person.

I wonder how the real Peter Lorre felt about all the parodies made about himself?

I. Fucking. Love. Arsenic And Old Lace.

Every human on earth should watch that movie.

HELLO JULIAN

It was probably one of those "that's how you know you've made it" stories, to be honest.

I'm surprised nobody has posted the Hanging Lamp yet. This was the most iconic Lorre of my childhood- he has a whole musical number!

He's in like the 6th post here

My niggas. Arsenic and Old Lace is one of the funniest movies/plays ever made.

I was thinking about that. If you sent him back in time we'd probably be looking at his face although he didn't have the same kind of memetic mannerisms.

that makes me happy

Like ten years ago I used to visit a website that wrote comedic reviews of Pokemon episodes, and they'd always refer to Croagunk as Peter Lorre as a running gag.

There are two Peter Lorre pokemon?

does vidya count?

i'll give you that since it was already posted in this thread.

Here's Robin Williams doing a Lorre impression

>be a great, passionate actor who handled both drama and comedy with great virtuosity
>legacy is largely composed of cartoon caricatures and Casablanca--a movie he was barely in