When did this trend of Batman being kind of a dyspeptic jerk originate?

When did this trend of Batman being kind of a dyspeptic jerk originate?

dead parents

Yeah it's pretty incredible Batman just casually shits on his four sons like that, huh. Especially while he's basically enlisting somebody else to be a new son.

That Dick is who he is is a fucking miracle really. Even Jason ultimately is probably better than you would expect from having a dad like Batman.

Batman really can't win with haters huh.
>Batman acknowledges he kinda screwed up raising the Robins, is trying to make Duke's apprenticeship "something... better" i.e. avoid repeating the same mistakes.
>"Oh my god Batman you're such an asshole, how dare you imply Duke is BETTER! You're lucky your kids aren't crack whoring themselves you FUCKING SHIT!"
I mean, I get that interpretation fits the "Duke sucks and Snyder pushes him too hard" AND the "Batman is a fucking asshole" narratives better,but c'mon.

The only Robin he screwed up raising was Jason. But that doesn't fit your "Duke is better than 75 years of Batman history" narrative.

After Jason died.

Tim and Dick turned out good in spite of Bruce, not because of him.

You're right he has absolutely nothing to do with their development at all.

I really want to see a comedy comic about Batman having to take care of his NEET son who doesn't want to be a crimefighter.

When put side by side it's glaring what has been stolen from Damian and what is still missing from his life. Jon is surrounded by so much love and 'normality'.

>When did this trend of Batman being kind of a dyspeptic jerk originate?

Two factors:

Writers that doent like X rbatman character and want to push their OC's or pet character. (Snyder, or King)

Writers that just need to milk idea, they have to use batjerk to give him some drama with the rest of the family (dixon)

Writers that plain don't like batman and were never into him but are forced to use him (like johns)
That's it. It's a mix of all 3. Even dixon eventually got tired of it. He got the short end of the stick, his batman was fine, but after Prodigal there was no reason for bruce to keep acting like that, sadly he was doing so much things, there was so many other batman books with rookie batman or a more human batman that the only way to go was Batjerk.

Batman and Kyle relationship was one of the few organic and good relationships that came out in that era.

Superdad best dad.

Bruce is the reason both of them are fit to save the world, without him dick is just a circus boy turned a decent cop, Tim was just a smart kid.

You are a retard and probably a comfyfag. Gifted people doesnt need a normal life. Look at serena williams her dad was a cunt, same as tiger woods daddy or Micheal Jordan dad. Same as fucking Mozart.

Bruce is the reason both of them are fit to save the world, without him dick is just a circus boy turned a decent cop, Tim was just a smart kid.

You are a retard and probably a comfyfag. Gifted people doesnt need a normal life. Look at serena williams her dad was a cunt, same as tiger woods daddy or Micheal Jordan dad. Same as fucking Mozart.

Duke was a failure, Snyder was ready to let him rest and forget about him until some guy convinced him that he needed a bigger push and a second chance.

Bruce is a cunt.

I don't like "Duke" being FORCED down our throats in almost every bat book. It's like...we just can't get away...but...please go away, "Duke."

>Tim was just a smart kid.
understatment of the year ladies and gentelmen

Duke is being pushed incessantly by his creator for years and is still failing
.Damian's only MIA because Duke loving creators have made him MIA. These people can write 50 books with Batman , heaven forbid if Robin shows up in one more, the excuse doesn't fly, there is no editorial restriction either it's an entirely self made excuse.

That was all he was before meeting bruce. He would had ended working on stars lab or something.

Snyder hates the entire Batfam.

Also he only knows how to write Dick, and that is how he write's Bruce.

Bruce fist bumping is so OOC it's not even funny.

>Duke is being pushed incessantly by his creator for years and is still failing

It will continue to fail, Duke is a way to make the Batbooks shit, Johns is playing 5d chess and snyder is too dumb to notice.

>As for Snyder’s plans for the character going forward, the scribe mentioned in the interview that he’s actively “trying to do a series” with Duke, alongside other creators. “It was really Geoff Johns, honestly, talking to [Geoff] and okaying a lot of this stuff with him that was terrifically helpful. I think we have something really special here with Duke, and I have a long runway with this character in terms of setting him up here and trying to do a series with him myself, with other creators, as well, once he is up and running.”

I feel like if Snyder was looking for making his mark on the Batman mythos .e, i dont care. If he was white im sure people would call him a shameless Tim rip off and he would have zero fans . I dont see much future for him beyond Snyder.

>Geoff Johns,
He hate Batman.

Duke is fine under King. Hes not "look I'm better than Robin!" Or insufferable.

Snyder just can't write Batman plain and simple but sadly he is the write normies associate with Batman. It was a god send he was taken off the main book and King pretty much just ignores Snyder's mythos while actively pretending to like Snyder so he doesn't notice. CIA 101.

I love how this thread immediately went to shit.

It's a thread about a Snyder Batman book. It is based in shit.

Such great Super-Family moments .

Even If Duke was white, he would still be a more interesting character than Tim Drake.

>it's a thread about Synder Batman.
No it's not, OP was talking about Batman in general.

Shouldnt have started it with an OOC panel of the the 2nd most hated writer on Sup Forums, only to Slott.

>implications

in New52 verse we have Dick as the only good Robin.
Jason died then came back all booty hurt
Tim hates Batman to the point where he doesn't even sees himself as an official Robin and goes by Red Robin cause lolTim
and Damian is a fucking psychotic in rehab

That's literally 3 consecutive shitty Robins. Why wouldn't he want to do something new?

The funny thing is all 3 of those characters hate him because they don't want to listen to him. There's nothing Bruce does that's really egregiously bad like in the old canon how he fired Dick and left him to fend for himself despite living with the guy for 5 years.

He maybe a bit tough on them and uncompromising in his tactics but again that's fairly standard especially when you have hotheads like Jason and Damian running around. New52 TIm is just an egocentric jerk that thinks he's better than everyone so he probbably follows along the same train of thought.

>New 52

Well the concept of the Bat-Family is intrinsic to the character of Batman as a whole, and it was rightfully reinstated as such (featuring a cast of well rounded characters that needed no more additions) until 2011 rolled around.

Yeah people that don't like it are pretty pants on head retarded. For a man like Bruce to not train protege's would be beyond dumb.

Nobody REALLY thinks Duke's an interesting character.

>That's literally 3 consecutive shitty Robins. Why wouldn't he want to do something new?
Scott Synder pls.

Correct me if I"m wrong, but isn't Duke only appearing in a single running title and and a side event while Damian is appearing in two running titles?

You don't say "I'm trying to make this kid better" user. You maybe say "I am trying to be better, myself"

I mean fuck he doesn't even let Duke speak, he just slides right into to answer Jim.

Duke is in 3.Batman Tec.All-Star Batman

>I mean fuck he doesn't even let Duke speak, he just slides right into to answer Jim.
That action says volumes about Bruce.

More people dislike Duke than Harper at this point.

Batman and Robin Eternal really make me dislike him.

he got allot of attention I don't think he deserved. It felt like the creators were in love with their own creation.

I know right, bastard got Elmer Fudd to kill them all

People who read we are Robin do.

Jon has superpowers, even though they are weaker than clarks because of his age, he still has them so obviously he doesnt need to train and practice. Damian is a "normal" human being, so batman has to train him rigorously so he won't die.

It's easy to cut some slack to Jon as Clark, he doesn't need to worry that if he isn't skilled enough he will die.

>Damian's dad dresses like a bat and gets hit in the head 28 times every night
Kek

No.

I hate Tom King so much.

Batman: Tom King has proven himself as a great writer on Grayson and Sheriff of Babylon, but his Batman work has been terrible... His dialogue with Batman is shit

I SUMMON THEE DAMIFAAAAAG

Haven't been reading BP, but dropped King's Batman. It isn't exciting at all.

King mate, you seem to have a bit of a Superiority complex. I can't really engage that.

Some point between Crisis on Infinite Earths and The Dark Knight Returns. But it got much much worse after DKR.

One kid has powers the other doesnt. Damian needs to train and improve everyday. Jon doesnt.

King doesnt like Bruce. He wanted to work on batman as pretty much every writer but he doesnt like bruce, it's clear that he is a dick guy, i mean... Batman being afraid of bats it's not only movie shit but shows a lack of will to investigte and understand the character. Morrison was the last writer that got it. It seems to me that only catholic writers manage the bat stuff in the correct way.

>it isn't exciting at all so I dropped it

Good stay away from it. Go read All Star or something else that is normie fodder with just action all the time. Batman hasn't been this slow based and methodical since ONeil and I am loving it.

Bruce is kind of a shit dad .He doesn't give a shit about his kids.

>I don't read Kings run

Kings Bruce is literally perfect. Very little dialogue, when he does speak it's profound or inquisitive. He's made him both loving and walled over and draws his strength from the Batfamily.

Jesus Christ seriously people if you started with Snyder's run please go read more so you have an actual frame of reference. Your idea of who Bruce should be is some watered down angry Bizzaro version that hates everyone.

Bruce is a great father that made everyone of his kids into people that will make the world safer and better. Outside Jason everyone has saved the world at least once. Bruce is a jerk as a father but a good father regardless of that.

Duke is a shitty cardboard character that Snyder is insisting on making important at the expense of the actual Batfamily. There are too many people around now, and Damian Wayne hasn't been with his father for years at this point.:It kind of feels like they're trying to make Duke black Tim.

Jason has saved the world plenty of times. Hell Bruce went out of his way to save him from jail and bring him back into the fold in Morrison's run.

: King is under heavy, heavy influence by Snyder. If Snyder didn't hand-pick King to take over, he at least had a lot to do with the decision. He set up the Batman status quo King would inherit, and I'm very confident the conversation about Duke went something like this:

Snyder - "Okay also Duke is going to be the new BAT SON, and since his parents oh so tragically are braindead I thought it would be really cool and original if Bruce took him in as his ward. So that's going to happen."

King - "Okay...?"

Snyder - "I know, I know, brilliant. Never been done before. I'm the greatest of all time. Thanks, Tom."

I'll admit I only ever read Snyder's run but I see that said a lot. I will say from all the pages I've seen posted Snyder's Bruce does seem to be much different, but is Snyder writing him wrong or is everyone else? Normal is people seem to like Snyder's run a lot and now that that is the only run I read I can't help but see Bruce's true characterization as that.

Idk man. If you read King's run he has undone or outright ignored a lot of Snyder's characterizations. Riddler is really the only one he has stuck too. Hell even King's Duke is likeable and not in your face. He's more reserved and listens to Batman.

If you had an actual frame of reference you would know that portraying Bruce as a cutter is the literal opposite of a perfect portrayal.

Hello, Tom.

>Outside Jason everyone has saved the world at least once
He actually saved the world many times.

Stop being so hung up on that you fucking autistic sperg. It was a throw away line to symbolize his crusade. I dont give a flying fuck about that over Bruce's voice and demeanor. He actually loves his family and isn't a chatty Cathy or an angry sperg for the first time in 5 fucking years. Don't pretend to like Batman if you haven't consistently been reading him since pre New 52. That was half a decade of shit we actual Batfans had to deal with.

I've been reading him since long before he went to shit with the New 52 and never recovered. You can slobber all over Bruce's repetitive and non existent character if you want, but don't pretend like Batman being a form of suicide is arguably the worst interpretation of the character in a book he headlines ever.

I believe you, i havent read outlaws or his solo series so i have no idea.

I was such a dumb thing.

*isn't arguably

Again it was one fucking throw away line. I wont let that run or dictate an entire run. Im much more focused on Bruce being in character as a person and how he speaks, which he is.

Get checked for autism.

I honestly don't understand why some people here are pretending that Jason trun into a horrible person.

He went through a lot of tragedies and Bruce did fail him, but he turned out pretty ok and has saved plenty of people.

>I Am Suicide

It's funny how the buzzword insult spewing ones are always the ones who fail to understand the fundamentals of the character and lack basic reading comprehension.

Just casuals. The same people who call Bruce a bad dad.

I understand the run, I just don't focus on it so literally as you do, which again is a sign of autism. It's symbolism dude. Seriously get some medication.

As far as your other retarded comment I own every Batman issue since his inception in physical or digital format. Hence why I'm not fixating on fucking symbolism "ruining" an entire run that has returned the character back to form that, if I'm being honest he hasn't been to since Dixon. I loved Morrison but the whole point of that run was to shake up the mythos and status quo and go more Silver Age.

It's nice to have long plot centric serialized arcs with a detective style Bruce prep timing and facing his foes again.

Tldr go to the doctor sperg

King cast the mantle as a symbolic for of suicide. His first issue has Bruce crying like a bitch and resigning himself to his death. If you actually had read every Batman issue from his inception then you would understand how fundamentally backwards King's understanding of the character is.

Dude,Kings Batman he's the most emo person that I've ever known.

*symbolic form

Also Dixon has come back from hiatus and utterly beat the fuck out of King's entire run in three issues.

Im not gonna argue with you man. Youre an idiot. That Bruce before his parents death died in that alley that night. It's always been that way in one form or another. Again if you let one arc ruin an entire run you must not have been reading comics very long. It doesn't fundamentally go against anything. Maybe if you kept reading you would have read the issue where Bruce says he isn't Batman to save his parents, he is Batman to help ppl.

>it's always been that way in one form or another

Except when he literally put a razor blade to his wrists and drew blood. It's a representation of the entire run and the ideas behind it.

>Damian's dad dresses like a bat and gets hit in the head 28 times every night
Just savage

Martha !

>When did this trend of Batman being kind of a dyspeptic jerk originate?
In comic books. Fucking read some and stop begging Sup Forums to spoon you history.

If anything, Dixon made Bruce into even more of a jerk to prop up Dick and Babs.

He was in the back-ups of All-Star Batman and appeared occasionally in Batman but yes, he's "forced".

Who is Bendis?

I feel like Superdad is the best way to change the publics mind on Superman being a terrifying god. Everyone wants a Superdad.

I think it'll be over soon once he's quarantined in one of the Dark Matter books. Probably the Immortal Men, or the new Challengers. Then we only have to deal with whatever King has planned for him getting married.

>Bat
>Cat
>Bat
>Cat

Can't wait for the continuation of the best love story of all time.

Or he could just go to school and live the life of a super-rich kid. No training required.