Who is Spider-Man's main villain? The Lex Luthor to his Superman?

Who is Spider-Man's main villain? The Lex Luthor to his Superman?

Norman. There is no discussion here.

This. Dan Slott can try to make Otto Peter's biggest adversary, but his relationship with Spider-Man just doesn't compare to Norman's.

Norman isn't lex luthor

More like his boss is lex luthor of spider-man.

Lex hate superman for being powerful and junk
JJ hates spider-man for being menace and powerful.

It depend, the best villain, the most popular or a bit of both?

I think the Lex Luthor of Spider-Man is Green Goblin, but for some is Doctor Octopus or even Venom... yes! Venom! can you believe that?

I'm just throwing Chameleon's name in here because goddamn it someone has to love him!

Even Slott proved it to be true at the end of Superior. Norman made Otto his bitch and caused him to give up in record speed.

Stormin' Norman

You know, I can see JJJ as being a closer Lex Luthor analogy for spider-man.

If he had more money, an d a scientific background, he probably could have gone supervillsin

If Green Goblin=Luthor, Venom would probably be Zod.

Mr. Negative.
I hope he is in the next movie. He is not lame like shitscorpion and adds so much diversity to the cast.

This goblin son a bitch is cucking amazing spider-men and basically you are fucking stupid.

Spider-man to me really doesn't have an arch nemesis. His main conflict is balancing his normal life with his super heroics. The villains are just devices to fuel that. None were crafted as foils to Peter.

You're right on the diversity thing. Hell, he's Asian AND black!

movie studios

and if there's one thing spider-man movies need, it's a lot more diversity!

This. Spider-Man is Peter Parker's greatest enemy.

that's every superhero though

This is now a Norman Osborn/Green Goblin thread.

The real answer is Norman Osborn. The meme answer is Dr. Octopus. The true answer is Marvel Comics.

Zod=venom is easy, as they both act as the hard counter villain tailored to that heroes power

>tfw there will never be a follow up to this pic

Aunt May. bitch coddled him too much and now he's an asshole who deserves every bad thing that happens to him.

I was only familiar with Spider-Man through that FOX cartoon growing up. Based on that, I always got the impression that Kingpin was Spider-Man's main villain. I'm actually not sure why, now that I think about it.

Has Lex ever gotten to Superman like Norman did to Peter?

He blew up New Krypton and the 80 000 kryptonians that Superman had rescued from Kandor, including his aunt.

He definitely tried

Certainly. All the main roles went to white actors.

He was a memorable character, rather than just another dude in a costume, and turned up a lot.

Norman's played out. He should have stayed dead, since everything he's been involved in since his return has been shit, and nothing's going to top killing Gwen Stacy and being responsible for a whole darker era of comic books.

It got kind of ridiculous when writers have tried making Osborn responsible for every bad thing that happened to Peter since bringing him back.

>Venom would probably be Zod.
Wouldn't Bizarro be more like Venom than Zod, or any of the other evil Supermen?

To be fair, anything anyone's been involved in Spider-Man comics has been shit for a long while now

Zod basically IS an evil Superman when you think about it.

Not really. The villains are interchangeable within Spidey's stories. With other heroes like Batman, he has a very specific relationship with every villain. Plus there's no conflict with him balancing his livelihood because

1. He's rich
2. Batman is his livelihood

Never read any Mr. Negative stuff, he seems more like a generic Bat-villain to me.

Is he actually any good?

Me neither, I am just mad an Youtuber I like suggested him to the next movie with these arguments

I mean the top 3 would most likely be Green Goblin, Doc Ock and Venom. Probably in that order.

Hobgoblin. Think about it

Parker luck.

The Looter.

Norman Osborn

But Dr. Octopus and Venom are much closer to being the man than anyone other than Luthor is to Superman.

Good heroes have three main villains.
Their Antithesis: They are everything the hero is not.
They could have been the same person long ago, but different paths turned them into near opposites.
For spiderman this is Doc Ock.

Their Shadow: They are everything the hero is, but inverted. In action and ability they are virtually the same, but with inverted personality.
For spider-man, this is Venom.

The third is the Nemesis: The nemesis can sometimes be combined with the other two, as all that is required to be the nemesis is to be a constant obstacle for the hero. While most villains are an independent force the hero is choosing to thwart, the nemesis actively seeks out the hero to thwart them. Wherever the hero goes, the nemesis will always be there to vex them at ever turn.
For spider-man, that will always be Green Goblin.

Pic related.

It was a nod to his origin as a Spider-man villain before he got moved over to DD's roster.

Also 90's was all about the corporate villain. Robocop, Kingpin, David Xanatos, Shere Khan...

I think you could fit a fourth category there: The ideological enemy, one that intentionally seeks to annihilate the ideals that the hero embodies. It only tends to work with mythic or "larger than life" heroes tho. Darkseid to Superman and Mister Miracle, Aku to Jack, Ares to Wonder Woman, The Joker to batman, Darth Sidious to the Jedi, the ingsoc in 1984, etc.

In general, I'd say the Green Goblin, but Dr. Octopus is also a good answer.

Before the recent comics, a lot of it came down to Ock being more persistent and reoccurring, but whenever Norman popped up (even in the Ditko/Lee/Romita era) he would usually do something that put him above the other villains. Hell, one of his earliest encounters had him presenting Spider-Man's limp and beaten body to the entire criminal underworld, and another time tarnishing Spider-Man's reputation as a heroic figure (to which Sandman and the Enforcers actively searched for him). Then after Norman died, his legacy continued to give Peter misery, even creating Harry GG and the Hobgoblin, who (if they were around longer) could've been contenders for the "arch nemesis" spot as well.

Doc was a major threat, but generally his plans were bigger and more terroristic, so while a lot was at stake, Spider-Man didn't struggle on a more personal level like he did with GG. So on one hand he was a more spanning problem, but on the other he didn't cut as deep as Norman.

For a while he was definitely one of Spider-Man's main threats, especially in the Lee/Romita and Stern stories.

Himself.

I always saw the top 10 as something like

1) Green Goblin (Norman)
2) Dr. Octopus
3) Venom
4) Hobgoblin
5) Kingpin
6) Green Goblin (Harry)
7) Jackal
8) Carnage
9) Kraven
10) Sandman

Or something to that effect I guess.

How about Lizard in #4?

I'd say Lizard's in the 10-15 range.

Some people will tell you it's Green Goblin. Others will tell you it's Venom. But they're wrong, it's Doctor Octopus

I need some good Spider-Man comics that certain around the Green Goblin as the main villian.

>half of spidey's villains are nearly if not avenger-level threats
>spidey himself is considered a street level hero and punks on said villains daily

>>half of spidey's villains are nearly if not avenger-level threats

Which ones?

The Joker.

Not a chance. What world are you living in where Jackal or Sandman is above Lizard?

Ebin

I'm so fucking tired of Green Goblin and his shitty family that I hope they never show up again

Ock can leave forever too at this point

I don't think I'm familiar with that character.

Dan Slott

>Wanting Mr Negative
>Not wanting Daredevil and Spiderman to team up and take down Kingpin

he doesnt have a single "arch nemesis" that defines his existence

the closest would be green goblin
the next closest would be doc ock
and third would maybe be venom

if only because they are the most famous
green goblin is the one to meddle with his personal life the most though, so he gets to be his number one

doc ock is incredibly iconic, and especially after the spider-man 2, one of the villains that normal people know

venom is a lot more personal than doc ock, and even has more guest appearances than him, although he is far less antagonistic

Sandman, Carnage, Venom, Ock with prep time, Norman using his full tech and resources, Rhino, etc.

half of them

I'd put lizard equal with sandman.

How can this be applied to Batman ?

It can't because those parameters don't cover enough to be applicable to every hero and because Batman's top villains change all the time.

It used to be Joker, Penguin and Catwoman (or Riddler)
In modern times it's shifted to Joker, Bane and Ra's al Ghul.
And sometimes Two-Face or Riddler or Scarecrow take a spot.

I remember from a Gamepro I had growing up there was a walkthrough for one of the Spider-Man games. Kingpin was the last boss, think it was the Spider-Man game for the Genesis...i didn't own it but rented it a few times and it was alright. But seeing Kingpin as last boss would have made me think he was Spidey's big bad.
As a casual, thouh, I always figured Doctor Octopus was Spidey's main villain for some reason.

Doc Ock is Spider-Man's greatest enemy, Green Goblin is Peter's greatest enemy

If you read comics in the 80s or 90s it's doc Ock
If you read in the 60s or 2000s it's green goblin
If you only had a passing interest in the character it's venom

What about Agent Venom

His own life.

Most heroes have the luxury of losing everything they ever loved before they turned into a crazed vigilante.
Peter still has people he cares about that aren't protected by plot armor.