Excluding the costume being missing or not making Danny Asian, why didn't you like it?

Excluding the costume being missing or not making Danny Asian, why didn't you like it?

Shitty fight choreography
Unlikable protagonist
Stupid acting characters

rank them
>JJ
>DD
>LC
>IF

>DD S2 first half
>DD S1
>DD S2 second half
>IF S1 second half
>IF S1 first half
>JJ
>LC

the actor cant be taken seriously as a martial artist
he didnt need to be asian, but he does not look the part

Fight scene were shit. I expected better things than pic related

As soon as you have plans for a team-up film, you start to make films just to fulfill that plan rather than out of passion for the character and telling a good story.

The MCU started off with films that seemed completely disconnected - Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and The Incredible Hulk. Then Iron Man 2 started flirting with what inevitably became the Avengers and post-Avengers way of Marvel films - crammed with connections and teases for future films, most notably the Thanos story set in motion at the end of phase 1. They do not have much of an individual face anymore but are products of a studio forcing everything into a bland mass and exist solely for the purpose of being able to include a million characters for Infinity War.

The first season of Daredevil was genuinely good because it pretty much worked as a standalone story. Then as soon as talks of Defenders came up, you needed characters that build up to it. So there's Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist. All for the sole purpose of having a TV Avengers.

My point is, once there is a plan for a team-up film, the characters exist not because a bunch of filmmakers were passionate about it (like Deadpool) but because there were boxes that needed to be ticked. It wasn't "we're huge fans of Iron Fist and have this story to tell" but "we need to make an Iron Fist series - what kind of story can we tell?"

tripfags post him

Wait dose Sup Forums want Danny to be Asian?

DDS2
DDS1
LC
JJ=IF

I rather enjoyed ninjas and blaxploitation. JJ would've been enjoyable but they dragged it out way too much. Enjoyed Tennant tho.

Nah, but it's the most vocal criticism IF had even though Danny was never asian in the comics. Pretty racist of those certain critics actually but at least they made mention of the lackluster everything.

Currently on episode 6. Liking it just fine.

>Not making Danny Asian
Why in the fuck would I be mad at that? Only causal retards bitched about that. I hated the show because it was another nonsensical Hand plot, butchered the mystical side of the material, Joy's character was flip floppy, Danny was an irresponsible asshole, and worst of all the fighting sucked

Action scenes sucked, Dany looks retarded and all seems cheap
>not making Danny Asian
Danny must be white male and the guy looks just like him, he need to shave that beard

For the Netflix shows overall, 13 episodes a season is too much.

I think my biggest issue was the pacing. He went from homeless to billionaire pretty quickly, and then whatever happened in past episodes kinda got glossed over.

Constant reminders of "I'm Danny Rand" and hitting us over the head with the parents being sucked out of the plane echoed the "I'm just a barrista" comments from DC's Legends of Tomorrow. As a showrunner and a creative, yes--you have to assume your audience is stupid. But there are better ways to convey information instead of doing it to the point where it becomes comical; doing it that way just breaks tone. It didn't make me care for Danny--it made me laugh at him.

We didn't see K'un-Lun aside from very minor flashbacks which didn't help us fully understand what Danny went through, so the show tried to compensate by shoving in our faces the drama between the Meachums. Instead of showing us Danny's backstory to make us-the audience-care for him, they made the Meachums look like assholes so we would feel Danny's plight. I could kind of see where they were going with it and I almost got on board, but some of it became a little too over-the-top (Joy putting a sedative in his drink in one of the early episodes is a good example of this). So when he says things like fighting a dragon and shit, it's meant to just make Claire laugh when *really* it should make us go "oh shit."

And then at the end when Joy wants to know how to kill Danny via Davos, I felt like that maybe was out of character for her (although maybe it *was* in character for her considering she roofied Danny as explained above).

To this day I still don't know what Rand does as a company other than I GUESS pharmaceuticals?

Wanting to make Danny Asian is just dumb. If you're gonna do that then you might as well just do Shang-Chi.

All I can think of right now but I'm sure more will come to me.

Joys character is whatever the plot needed it to be. One minute shes happy to see her friend, the next shes "We're not your family", constantly going back and forth

>13 episodes a season is too much.

THIS
Why the fuck do they keep doing this? Luke Cage ran out steam, Daredevil S2 and S1 ran out of steam. For better or worse the only show that paced well enough to last that long was JJ.

Too much business shit, and the process of declaring Danny as the boy who died 15 years ago could have been done in one or two episodes.

No real antagonist. Harold Meachum had a cool gimmick with going more insane every time he goes insane, but he didn't really have any other kind of ability or talent that made him especially threatening. I tried to remember what fighting moves he showed off in the final episode, but then I remembered: he just shot a handgun.

Madame Gao was cool, but they're obviously saving her for Defenders, DD or IF S2, so they couldn't do a lot with her. I hope the drunkard fighter shows up again, he'd be great as a comic relief archrival.

Couldn't stand Ward or Joy, especially the latter.

>Oh, Ward, my beloved brother who I know to be a sociopathic douchebooster: I feel so bad for cheating our childhood friend out of his legacy and fortune, especially since we confirmed it was actually him after I gave him the test with the M&M bag. Am I a bad person?

Yes. Yes you are, Joy.

I did like the sword girl, forgot her name, and I loved the extra lore on the Hand, finding out there are different warring factions is pretty cool. Feels like a mystical, underground version of HYDRA.

Yeah that was the basic problem I had with it--she felt inconsistent so it was hard to establish a baseline for her identity.
When Netflix and Marvel made their deal, it was always for 13 episodes per season for each individual character and 8 episodes for The Defenders. Unfortunately, that deal in writing is the real villain of the Netflix shows--it forces the showrunner to buttfuck various different things into the show to make it "fit" al; 13 episodes.

The converse though then becomes "oh, can future seasons be less?" From an executive POV, that might make the show "look bad," so it's unlikely. I don't know what this means for future characters though that they might want to do (ie Moon Knight or whatever). Punisher will be 13 episodes, so it'll be fun to see what trash storyline they throw at the middle or tail end after 6 or 7 great episodes.

Fights scenes, character development and a poor variety of scenarios.
At least in JJ and LC the fight scenes make sense since they don't have any combat train so you can't expect them to pull experts moves, but in this seems like poor directing more than anything. The fact that they always take place indoors just make it worse.

DDS2 actually managed to make itself interesting because of Punisher rather than Elektra. Without the former, it wouldn't be half as interesting.

>Poor choreography in a story centered around martial arts.
>Unlikable protagonist
>Not enough K'un Lun

Since the key flaws have already been posted in this thread, I submit that Coleen Wing was the most compelling character of the bunch.

Everything Danny was shit. To the point where I wished they had switched him out for Defenders.
But that's it. I liked everything else. It was a 7, Danny made it a 5, best girl made it a 6.5

In general the cheapness of the whole thing was my biggest issue, this clearly had shit for a budget thanks to Ike. Danny himself was odd in general too, his delivery sounded like Zoolander to me.

By the end I liked the villains, though, so I'll give them that.

I agree with this, but I can't decide if I really liked LC more than IF. I feel like IF improved a bit by the end, while LC only got worse and worse past a certain point.

>Anonymous 07/17/17(Mon)20:34:04 No.93940188▶
Coleen was compelling until she developed feelings for Danny. Then she felt much weaker and just generic to me. Her arc was as basic as you could get.

WHY CAN'T HE PUT ON THE STUPID MASK! EVEN DAREDEVIL PUT ON THE COSTUME!

What retards thought it was okay to give Danny a beard and no mask?

I didn't hate it - but I thought there were substantial problems.

1) Danny's character arc was a mess. His motivations were unclear for most of the series and he didn't display any consistent character development across the series. If the audience can't relate to and root for the central protagonist, your story is in serious trouble.

2) The martial arts sequences were nowhere near good enough. This might have been less of an issue if Danny's story had been more engaging.

I got the impression from interviews with the cast that the filming was really rushed - I suspect Netflix had a deadline that they wanted to get the show out by, so they pressed ahead with production even though the scripts and choreography obviously needed more work.

Rushed fight choreography
Overfocus on Boardroom Drama
Danny quickly became unlikable

DD season 1
Luke Cage
DD season 2
shit
Jessica Jones
Iron Fist

They took a fantastic, likeable main character and focused on everything boring and unlikeable about him

Also, they did the one thing wrong that every successful marvel product has done right, they casted the main character poorly

It really does just boil down to Danny being shit, which sucks, because he's pretty much my favourite marvel character in the comics

>not making Danny Asian
Don't start this shit again....

I never read any Iron Fist, but isn't this idea for a character terribly dated? It would have been great in the seventies, but it just seems a bit odd now.

the villain was more likable than the protagonist and they did a shit job showing his backstory. what was the point of the flashbacks at all?

>not making Danny Asian

I found the evil son more sympathetic.

There is only one thing I liked about this shitfest. It's Madame Gao. She's the most underrated Netflix villain.

Finn Jones is a horrible actor

Fights were embarrassingly bad.
Acting was kind of shit.
Plot was boring as fuck.

It's harder to think of any -good- things to say about it.

Uh... I'm kind of interested in seeing Danny around the other Netflix heroes? I think their more realistic and grounded characters might be able to provide enough of a contrast with him to make it an interesting relationship?

Acting is part physical motion. They picked someone who couldn't act. And they had D- fight scenes. If they went with the mask, they could have at least swapped in a stunt double for more of that shit.

>not making Danny Asian,
Making danny asian is incredibly racist, and a terrible idea.

I contend that their failure to handle the martial arts parts properly is more racist than any racial choice they could have made with danny.

no Danisty

should've been a slapstick comedy

The fighting was as boring as the story.

And giving him a no kill rule was retarded.

DDS1
DDS2
LC
IF
JJ

I don't think any of them were "bad", and I don't think Iron Fist deserves quite the bad rep it got. I enjoyed it for the most part.

I still liked Jessica Jones, and it started good, but I hated almost her entire supporting cast, and the show slowed down to a crawl. Not to mention I just got mad whenever some normal people overpowered Jessica. Use your super powers idiot.

I actually liked Iron Fist. It had some bright points. Asian complaints asise, because those are fucking baloney.

I think my biggest gripe, and the shows most glaring flaw, is the whole thing was under developed and rushed because of The Punisher. While I totally support Jon Bernthal getting his own show with the character, I think Marvel TV fucked with the rescheduling and it negatively impacted the entire Iron Fist production. Finn Jones even said himself he only had a couple months to prepare and rehearse for the whole thing.

But moving on, all things considered, I think Finn Jones did a decent job in the role. He was a good blend of being a fairly laid back guy, completely naive and ignorant of his surroundings. But the passion behind his motives just wasn't there. To not persue The Hand hard with that being, literally, his only mission in life was baffling. By the end I was wondering why Davos was the only trying to do his fucking job.

I think the whole Meachum plot line, especially the kids, got more convoluted and unnecessary in the last half of the series. Harold was good and well written, and Ward was a decent distraction, but Joy was just a complete wishy-washy mess that took away from the whole ordeal.

Dare Devil 1
Dare Devil 2
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones
Iron Fist

Dare Devil is easily the best of them all and should be the standard the rest of Marvel TV is held against. I liked Luke Cage, especially Cotton Mouth. I appreciated how tied in the series was to the rest of the MCU. Jessica Jones was alright. Kilgrave, I think, has been the best thing out of any of them. For Iron Fist see Overall, I'd like see how the Mutant Growth Hormone plot line.

holy shit! that slow motion that it's actually not salow motion but them just slowing down for some kind of effect they forgot to add or didn't give a fuck.

>Danny must be white male and the guy looks just like him

Anyone can look like Danny, comic book facial features are never that detailed or consistent. Ignoring all the race complaints, Finn Jones is still a British actor with no background in martial arts playing an American martial artist. It was very poor casting.

I didn't like it. But I do feel the main reason this was bashed by critics was because of the dumb noise the SJW's did, it did far too much damage.

Who'd know, maybe these aren't the best times to bring Iron Fist to the silver screen. People were expecting another underdog and flipped their shit over kung fu tony stark

>All it had to be was a kung fu show
>The kung fu was bad
That simple.

>no background in martial arts playing an American martial artist
Sure the best action scenes in all the serie to me are , Colleen in the box, Colleen with the Katana, Colleen vs the students, the first one of Danny in the market and he doesn't figth is mostly jumping and after that maybe Danny vs the drunk guy, but you don't have to hire a ninja to play Iron Fist, just use the mask and put a double, he as actor sucks but maybe is because the script is bad

>not making Danny Asian
Why in the flying fuck would they?

i'll bite, where's this from?

Into the badlands

Into the Badland. The story is a shitty adaptaion of Journey into the West, but the action is top notch because they hired the OG kung fu choreographers out of Hong Kong

It's fucking telling when a 3rd tier show on AMC has better fight scenes than a Marvel title

What is the greatest betrayal in Sup Forums-related media?