How true is this? I just finished Urusei Yatsura and I don't mind seeing more of the same

How true is this? I just finished Urusei Yatsura and I don't mind seeing more of the same.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/N5YL2NfXf34
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's practically a one for one reboot.

Is it comparable in terms of humor?

Very much so.

At least it isn't a monstrosity like Steven universe trying to reference every single fandom sugar has ever been part of

Not remotely. Oshii era UY is a sticom up there with Seasons 1-8 of the Simpsons. Star VS. is a western magical girl show that's pretty decent when driven by plot, and fairly irritating when it tries to be a comedy. Trust tumblr to not know what it's fucking talking about.

Why would it be an American version of Urusei Yatsura?

Because a crazy alien girl moves in with a human family? Except she's magic and from another dimension and not a strong alien with electric powers who resembles a Japanese demon. And she's the protagonist and Lum wasn't. And it's a magical girl show instead of a comedy/proto-harem show.

So basically it isn't.

they're not they same. they are just both in the same genre of magical princess comes to live with human boy. its a very popular genre in both Japanese and american media

Point me to the EE&E reference, dear user.

HOT and SWEATY!

its literally line for line the same damn show. wtf disney.

yup, right down to all the pervy stuff that literally can't be shown on American tv

demons you say

Didn't Nefcy say it was Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball rolled into one?

She will never deepthroat you.
Feels bad man.

>Still no art of her
Sup Forums makes me sad

This is all i have.
Use it wisely.

Similarities?

Anyone got some Star related reaction images? I need some more for my folder.

>That first episode where Marco has to rip off Star bra to stop earth from being taken over.
Da fuck Nefcy. Did she even try to hide that this show is a rip off.

Even if she's a trap this mimic is still cute as fuck

Do anime fans do this to every damn thing?

>Atlantis ripped off Nadia
>Lion King ripped off Kimba
>Lord of the Rings ripped off Naruto
>Superman ripped off Dragonball Z

Can we not just agree that some things are similar?

This is more likely to be a case of an American animation fan trying to ride the coat-tails of an anime.

I love Weebs try to convince that goku backstory and race are not a rip off from goku even though is the same shit but call anything western anime rip off

*rip off from superman

they actually hired an Ed Edd n Eddy boarder (Raven Molisee)

>I have never watched Urusei Yatsura: the post

>Her

Is mimic a synonym for mime?
It doesnt sound right but mimes aren't american so fuck if i know.
Actually asking because I might be retarded.

>"hey guys, question about this show"
>"I'm not going to answer your question, instead let me bring up this other cartoon I hate that isn't related to this topic"
If you want to complain about Steven universe, why don't you make another hate thread like everyone else.

Because I'm too cool for that

Pantomime is just the work for theater without words, usually in comedy look up Red Skelton or Benny Hill. Idk where the "Classic" mime look comes from.

Nah I just forgot how to say mime in english

Those first two ones are blatantly true though. Fair's fair, Tezuka ripped-off his entire artistic style from watching old Disney cartoons.

Star Sad

>try to convince that goku backstory and race are not a rip off from goku
Well to be fair Goku was a rip off of Goku. Seeing as Dragon Ball is loosly based on Journey To The West.

best grill version

thanks dude I expected some halfassed insults as a response. So uh thanks
Oh ok.

Here have more mime

>anything I don't like is a ripoff
Yawn.

Tezuka's artistic style was a combination of many things, and he didn't simply copy American cartoon character designs.

Dragon Ball was also influenced by Superman

What retard has ever made this claim because I will fucking shoot them

It's hard to call that a "rip off" when all american cartoons from that era looked the same. Disney designs aren't unique at all, He got famous for his animation techniques firts and foremost.

Well thank goodness she's not then

Not really, no. UY is the classic "love interest beats the shit outta MC"-series, which Star is not.

>Lion King ripped off Kimba
This one's actually true, though.

The thing is that if you are offended by this you are literally no worse than a social justice warrior being offended on behalf of blacks. Japan steals from themselves. They don't see it as being a ripoff. They just see it as their neighbor/peers improving on what they've done. Look at shit like motherfucking Evangelion. It's just a ripoff of U.F.O and Ultraman. Look at the bajillion giant robot animes and how most anime styles look the same. Or fucking Tezuka's heavy """""influence""""" of disney for his Manga. or for christ sakes the entire language was stolen frmo the Chinese.

They have those doujin festivals where you can draw 5 year olds fucking anthropmorphic grocery store food with huge cocks and not get sued by ANYBODY.

Japan don't give a fuck man.

>dragonball goku = Son Wukong
>DBZ goku = superman

They took kanji from Chinese, not the entire language, and are we really going to call everything "stealing" if it came from somewhere else? It's not like every Western country developed the Latin alphabet independently. And it's not like Western art is created in a vacuum (you seem to be implying that only the Japanese "steal" from each other).

>They don't see it as being a ripoff. They just see it as their neighbor/peers improving on what they've done.
Nippons don't care, weebcucks in the other hand...

Japan actually loves to create "their own versions" of western characters just like Link(Peter Pan) and Astro Boy(Pinocchio)

This just makes me want to check out Urusei Yatsura

I always figured Link was some kind of yeoman

Yeah, maybe they did many decades ago. Not that Link and Astro Boy qualify.

>Superman ripped off Dragonball Z
other way around, brah. Goku is Sun Wukong the Monkey King as points out

but might a tad wrong

Goku was influenced by Superman's science fiction origin the whole alien planet thing served to introduce planet Sadala and the Saiyans rather then using the original Buddhist roots of Wukong

in Dr. Slump you can see the American influence much more clearly like Star Wars and this world of Dr. Slump crossed over to early Dargon Ball lore

there was a character obviously parodying the Man of Steel appearing in both Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball
>see pic

OP, I can't figure out if you're serious or not. But no, it's not like Urusei Yatsura.

Aside from the fact that Lum is pretty much amazing wife material very consistently (whereas Star has had a few episodes and serious shortcomings along the way, though I think it's overall getting better), Marco is a good guy and not a whimp and pretty smart. Ataru Moroboshi from Urusei Yatsura is a literal harem seeking fool, with at least slightly below average intelligence.

Not to mention that there is very little progress in the relationship of Lum and Ataru, whereas in Star vs, there is probably going to be some progress and final ending.

The similarities between star and lum is
>Magical princess from another world
>Comes to Earth
>Is in love with and lives with brunette human boy
That's about it, that's not even that original of a plot these days.
Bullshit, Marco isn't anywhere near as much of a perverted jerk as Ataru and Star isn't as clingy, Jealous or violent as Lum.
Their is nowhere near as many sex jokes or jokes about religion.

>Atlantis ripped off Nadia
This shit annoys me since Atlantis is a ripoff but it's a ripoff of the Stargate movie, as in a point for point plot retread, whereas the only thing it has in common with Nadia is a magic stone and Atlantis existing.

Almost nobody in this thread has seen Urusei Yatsura.

UY is a classic slapstick/romance anime with effectively no plot. Star Vs is an episodic comedy/adventure with an overarching narrative. It would be like comparing Steven Universe to Cowboy Bebop because they both go to space and have a character that constantly whines.

Clearly there is a conspiracy at cartoon network to hire people who already work for them.

>Star
>not wife material
Shut your whore mouth sir

>JLT crying
Who do I punch?

And the dieselpunk aesthetic. And the nerdy protagonist with glasses and his delicious brown waifu, which is in a lot of stuff to be fair but in conjunction with the rest makes it feel like more of a rip-off.

Plot to Stargate/Atlantis
>A bespectacled brown haired archeologist addresses a crowd of academics in new york
>Glasses wearing MC describes a radical theory he has and is subsequently laughed out of the building while unbeknownst to him he is being watched by an elderly woman from the back of the crowd.
>Elderly woman offers MC chance to prove his theories correct and brings him to a facility run by her benefactors
>Benefactors present MC with an ancient text relevant to his theories and ask him to translate
>MC succeeds in his translation only to discover that the benefactors arranged an expedition and they were training the MC to be the expeditions translator.
>Expedition is composed of a colorful cast of mercenaries and led by a gruff but amicable retired military man.
>Expedition discovers that the destination still has people living in it that speak a language only the MC can understand.
>The chief of the civilization has a daughter with a necklace that will be important to the story.
>MC fall in love with chief's daughter
>MC and chief's daughter have a scene where they go swimming in a cave and find a wall painting that provides the MC with answers he needs to resolve the plot.
>An ancient evil awakens
>Cheif's daughter is placed into peril
>The mercenaries have ulterior motives and almost destroy the civilization
>The mercenaries are convinced to help the civilization
>At the end of the story the MC decides to stay in the civilization with the chiefs daughter and asks the mercenaries to deliver something to the benefactor for him.

But no I'm sure it has more in common with Nadia It doesn't

I want to see Star in Lum's outift.
For scientific purposes.

Then stargate gets a 10 season show that spins off into stargate: atlantis

yourself

How the fuck is there any correlation between those two things?

If anything at all Naruto is far more similar to Harry Potter

Actually (unlike SU) Ed, Edd, n Eddy wasn't made at CN Studios (and raven had worked on MLP between the two shows)

Give him what he needs!

Daron Nefcy is a real joke: f*cking 4th quality otaku piece of sh*t

ah, the sh*t who make the social sickness make happy, don't you?
PD: that "magical girl" thing is cancer in japan

Naruto is basically ninja Hogwarts. And I read somewhere that the author had explicitly said so.

How could anyone fail to see this, and compare Naruto to LOTR is beyond me.

if you have to ask the same question about other glib oudated examples of japanese animation that people mistake for culture when superior modern alternatives exist the answer is always yes

>Trap
Sauce?

Yeah Naruto's mangaka wanted to do an actual "wizard school" series before he found out Harry Potter already did it.

You should watch Star vs FoE anyway because it's a good show, probably the best western cartoon right now.

Remember when Urusei have that selfie enemy?
good times
literally have 0 shit in common

>it's a good show, probably the best western cartoon right now.
bait
there is not good western cartoon so far
star is mediocre as fuck and the movie was lame.

> good show

so long as it isn't a westernized version of Outlanders, i'm ok with mostly anything of the sort. just not Outlanders my heart isn't ready yet.

Nigga mime is Dr.Girlfriend-esque, not trap

There are huge differences. If you want something similar, try Ranma. No western Saturday morning cartoon can compare to UY because of the theme and humor alone.

Okay then youtu.be/N5YL2NfXf34

I love this for some reason.

>forgetting not Sailor Moon
Sasuga

Justice League Action is great. Though it doesn't try to be anything more than good fun.

>the hobbit was written in 1937 and lord of the rings in the 1950s

>Superman was created in 1938
>Dragon Ball wasn't serialized until 1984
>Goku's origins weren't revealed until 1988

>FoE

They in no way look alike.
If anything, SVTFOE gives me the vibe of Sailor Moon and Utena.