Stand Still Stay Silent: Storytime Webcomic

Stand Still Stay Silent is a Post-Post Apocalypse Webcomic set after a plague has wiped out most of humanity and most other mammals. A few turned into horrible Cronenberg-esque monstrosities rather than merely dying. The comic takes place 90 years after the infection first hit, with the Scandinavian survivors launching their first research-exploration mission into the unknown.

After having posted the prologue on /tg/, I am now posting on here. I plan to get through the whole webcomic, but I have a math-lab in the morning so I think I'm just gonna do the first chapter and pick it up when I get back.

Link to the /tg/ thread and prologue:

Other urls found in this thread:

sssscomic.com/
sssscomic.com/?id=about
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_hormesis
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Huh, weird.

Man, has captcha become like, way worse?

HOW MANY FUCKING STREET SIGNS, CAPTCHA

Anyone reading this?

I'm thinking of ending at this next info graph a few pages forward.

end sooner
no one cares about "and then all the brown people died" where the pace is as glacial as the landscape

Man, this comic really can't catch a break from either side of the political divide.

I'd do more but an Amerifat who need to sleep soon.

love the premise and the art. thanks for introducing me to this.

Alright I'll keep going just for you!

Alright, that's a good page to keep it.

thanks. part of my fascination is me currently playing crusader kings 2 and i'm only now playing in scandinavia. the maps in the comic makes me appreciate my newfound knowledge of the geography.

This looks pretty cool, is there more?

It's called Stand Still, Stay Silent

Yup, i'll grab you a link, story is currently in the beginning of chapter 16.

sssscomic.com/

>Implying any plague can destroy Madagascar

switch to legacy - works more reliably and you only have to complete one set of words instead of clicking road signs and cars for five minutes

Bump. I remember reading it a couple years ago, never caught up though. Very slow paced but the world is really unique. I'm kind of a linguophile myself so the whole Nordic languages is really intruiging.

Oh it looks like tumblr shit.

You're tumblr shit Winnie

I can assure you that it isn't tumblr shit.

Then i recommend you get reading agian, here is the status of the team right now.
>Obtained one kitten
>Obtained one Icelandic sheep herder/mage (untrained)
>Obtained multiple books
>Angered a group of ghosts that are now following them, bringing more dead and infected monsters with them
>One team member dead
>Cat tank rendered inoperable, crew forced to continue journey on foot towards coastal evac point
>Currently being chased by the ghosts, one of which has taken the form of a eight legged pale horse (after abosrbing an infected horse)
>Status of the said ghost is damaged and pissed

>Status of the said ghost is damaged and pissed

And it has been implied that it would follow them even in a non infected area.
4s is pain.

>inb4 the MC team ends up bringing forth the end of the world

Thanks for posting, the world seems really interesting, and there has been a lot of work put into it and languages so far have been fine...I just personally dislike that art style. Will be following anyway

>swedes are the best and smartest
>danes, norwegians and finns are all retarded

I fucking hate Swedes, disgusting faggots that have a shit country yet still believe they're superior to their neighbours.

The author is a Finn.
Whether Swedes are made obnoxious on purpose or not is unknown.

The rest of the world is completely dead?

Are we talking about a real Finn or a Finno-swede?

No idea.
Im guessing it's a metro 2033 situation where you have no clue what the rest of the world is like, because short range radio isn't icking anyhting up and both land and sea are infested with necromorphs, so going to the great open seas or to the far lands is just a prolonged painful type of suicide.

sssscomic.com/?id=about

Looks like she is a Fenno-Swede.
Dunno how deep bätterfolk runs in her though, seems like she has lived most of her life in Finland, plus she lives there now.

>Are we talking about a real Finn
Yes, she clearly is a Perussuomalaiset.

Eh, says she's not even born in Sweden.
Well they do have black Hitler.

Not even born in Finland.*

Wonder if that things engines still work or if they are just using giant oars.

dude, spoilers

Why didn't the Faroe Islands survive? Shouldn't they be like Iceland and be fairly isolated from all the shit?

Nobody knows man, they're so isolated everybody forgot they exist.

Word of god was that living there was kinda hard, so they eventually moved to iceland or wherever. same thing happened with some scottish survivors too, I think
Damn, it's been a long while since the map was posted and Minna was answering questions like that and my memory is far from being the best, so take it with a grain of salt

They should at the very least be cleansed and used as a stepping stone between Iceland and the other Nordics. A colony would also be good to mitigate population pressures.

I imagine it's problem to support a population there. They would need constant provisions and it might've been a thing for some time but wasn't it a really long time since it all started? They probably abandoned any place that wasn't contributing anything to the immediate survivability and I seem to remember it was stated that they eased their security measures.

there's already the quarantine facility nearby for that, and even iceland's population went through a hard time during these 90 years, so there's no real pressure yet
besides, iceland's governemnt is both stingy and not too fond of reclaiming shit, you'd have to get private funding from the danes, maaaybe the swedes, if you wanted to do that

>They would need constant provisions

It is no harder to set up a sheep farm in the Faroes than it is in Iceland, and their seas are rich in fish and whale. It also offers easy access to oil fields in the Norwegian and North Seas, especially near the Shetlands.

>imbelying PS is actually a Finnish party
Before June they were globalist EU shills, and even now I dont have my hopes up about them.

I'm fairly certain whales were having the same problems as people. Makes you wonder why non mammals don't thrive in that environment though, since they're immune. But you need a lot more than just sheep to support a population, and small islands are generally hard to live on without outside help. Before modern transportation there people who tried to colonize distant small and cold islands simply all died there during a bad winter. Imagine a whole population who dies because they couldn't get any provisions from the outside, and there's not much supplies they can store especially since the whole world isn't exactly overflowing with food and other supplies to send them.

>they're so isolated everybody forgot they exist.

Shit man, Danes forget they exist today, and they have a seat in our parliament.

kind of a slow burn but I like it.

Sorry.

>you need a lot more than just sheep to support a population

You're obviously not from the north. Iceland and the Faroes sustained their populations with nothing but sheep and fish for centuries.

> Before modern transportation there people who tried to colonize distant small and cold islands simply all died there during a bad winter.
With the notable exception of the Faroes.

This entire comic is the height of Nordic arrogance. SATW has it in spades as well.

I can´t shake the feeling that the faroe being abandoned is for purely narrative reasons rather than logic. Part of the premise is "only Scandinavia survived", and the Faeroe aren´t Scandinavian, they´re scottish. Having Scottish (or any non-scandinavian) civilization or even culture alive wouldn´t fit in the setting she wanted. Ergo, they didn´t make it.
There´s too many parts that feels that the setting twists itself way too much to justify a lot of the things in the story, like with the technology and the religious stuff. Like, they explain the virus and how the world ended, but did they explain the magic? Where did it come from? and, if I recall, they forgot way too much about stuff like geography and history, specially considering Iceland is mostly intact. They "devolved" way too quickly into vikings and priests. Not to mention the religion is the same they had 1000 years, without any modification or mutation, while conveniently forgetting about Christianity, islam, budism, etc. Not to mention the Finns have their own gods and beliefs, that work only for them, which is not touched upon nearly deep enough in my opinion.

Like says, it really feels like the comic goes out of his way to exalt scandinavia, while the rest of the world was a bother to get rid of.

It´s beautiful artwise, and the characters are well developed and interesting. But the plot holes in the larger setting really keep me from fully enjoying this comic.

>Whales
You mean leviathans?
Virtually every mammalian species in this setting (except for cats for some reason) can be affected by the rash virus which ends up turning you into a walking body horror show.

>the Faeroe aren´t Scandinavian, they´re scottish.

We Frenchmen recognize that we belong to a superior, and more ancient civilization, than does Scandinavia.

This is likely true.
But how would you fluff your peoples survival in the doomsday scenario where a simple sickness can turn you into a hulking monstrosity that craves for human flesh?

Would be neat if other authors started writing stuff set in this same world but concentrating on other peoples.

Vous vous bon bon bonjour eiffel tower baguette baguette croissant oui oui.

FUCK ME.
I MEANT THE NORTHEN ISLES. SHETLAND AND ORKNEY FUCK ME I´M AN ASSHOLE.

I´m gonna kill myself. MOST OF MY POINT STANDS TRUE STILL.

>Shetlands and Orkney aren't Scandinavian

>American education

A single counter point i am bringing is the fact that the disease starts off with little to no effects with the rash being the first visible symptom, after which start coughing fits which help the disease spread, so, maybe folks escaping from Scotland accidentally brought the disease to those islands?

Or maybe there are folks living there, but scandis never bothered visiting those islands and so think nobody lives there.

It's virtually impossible to make a comic like this, especially with zombies, and think everything through because the reality would be simply boring. It has some explanations, and while a lot doesn't make sense it's good enough to ignore those parts. One thing that makes me wonder though is why did they bother with distributing the "cure" if they could've just simply used other methods to kill the mutating patients. It's not like they had to concern themselves with public opinion when it became clear that it's an apocalypse. Even if they hoped that it could work on some percentage and then figure out why it worked for those few people they made it fairly clear that it's too late to try to help the infected ones, so waiting for it just doomed everyone else.

In my headcannon /SSSS/ takes place in the same universe as the russian Metro Games/Books

So, the Russians nuked themselves to purge the disease?

They used to be, until those damned norwegians sold them.

That... makes perfect sense, actually

Hell, you could even canon that Radiation kills the viru... except you couldn't because i bet folks took X-rays of the patients back then while they still could.
Unless you need a near fatal dose of rads?

This comic made me want to rape Swedish and Finnish women, and not because I find them attractive

Wrong board.
Well, radiation kills the host at least. And it could be a cancer case where if you're lucky enough to kill the infected parts before you die you might just have a chance.

Eh, who knows.
You could also say that all the long term radiation has made the folks immune to the virus or that the radiation keeps the lands constantly sterilized.

It could make sense I guess. Somehow the body finding a much more effective defense against mutations and cancer happened to help fight off the infection too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_hormesis

Who is a man? Who is a woman? It is difficult to tell.

This concept reminds me of The Dance of Time, a French comic in which the Americas are never colonized by Europeans owing to an unexplained disaster in the old world. Unfortunately it stopped after three volumes ten years ago and nothing as happened since.

It's literally the most white Aryan webcomic on the net

>A member of a nation writes a comic in which only the members of his/her own nation and ethnicity matter
>This causes a great outrage on a WASP Superhero comic board that's mainly about those WASP Superheros having adventures in and saving the world and the universe from the USA

Colour me surprised.

sorry for jumping ahead and dumping this part OP, but seeing where the thread has been going I'd say it's fairly relevant

>in which the Americas are never colonized by Europeans owing to an unexplained disaster in the old world

The Ghost Dance worked is what happened. Fucking gods rewound time to get the crackers outta North America and most of Central America and fucked over Europe. That led to the colonies in the Carribean being abandoned as well.

MC is a descendant of Sitting Bull's.

>Americas are never colonized
How did they get horses then?

LALLI X EMIL IS OTP. Debate me. You know I'm right.

>slave religions, amirite, my fellow Odinists?

I hope they find an English book