Why is Alan Moore so completely and utterly better every other creator in comics (apart from perhaps Osamu Tezuka)...

Why is Alan Moore so completely and utterly better every other creator in comics (apart from perhaps Osamu Tezuka)? He dominated comics so thoroughly he had to write novels just for a challenge (and ended up writing one of the most critically praised novels of the last 30 years).

What a guy.

I like how a lot of his stories are goofs on the idea of writing a story at all. He mixes literary canon with reality in such an interesting way. If I ever write the word "faggot" into something I write I hope I do it as cleverly as Alan Moore

>and ended up writing one of the most critically praised novels of the last 30 years
What?

Jerusalem has gotten a lot of love and its reputation is only growing over time.

Well, we'll see if it stands the test of time against the greats of literature (and I'm counting speculative fiction among said greats).

True. Literature takes a lot longer to be accepted as truly great compared to other forms of media. But he's certainly done well for himself.

>It's an ''user thinks Alan Moore is the bestest writer ever'' epiode

He is though, at least in comics.

Daily Reminder to read more comics.

The barrier to entry to be a mainstream comics writer tends to take creative minds straight out of the pool. Moore made his name at a different era and is basically an unrepeatable success.

Most of these are great, but Moore still transcends them (even Mauz, though I am aware that may not be a popular stance).

Stan Lee shits on Moore any day of the week.

Brian K Vaughan has a high peak, I'd say. Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina. 110 issues between the two series is a lot of good stuff. Not quite as good as Moore's best work, but within the same ballpark, in my opinion.

Oh! If you like Alan Moore, please read A Small Killing. It's one of his best works if you ask me, highly underrated. Out of print, but you can find it.

Muh capeshit

Moorefags are so insufferable.

Will Eisner's creative successes are more impressive than Moore's (and Miller's and so forth).

The great triumvirate of comics is probably Moore, Eisner and Tezuka in terms of innovation, creativity and influence.

Barks has to be mentioned man, even Tezuka acknowledged him as his greatest influence.

Because he is actually a Warlock who sacrifices people to a dark god in order to get his talent.
Ask /tg/ for more details.

The wast majority of "famous" comic writers are genre writers who are complete cancer on literary standards. Anyone who isn't one is automatically a step above.

Miller is better and The Dark Knight Returns predicted 24/7 news cycles well in advance of 9/11.

Plus you know Miller actually draws which is the other important part of comics which Moore can't.

You...know CNN has been around since 1980...right?

This. Even most non genre comics are memoirs or biographies. Even most famous cartoonists have no literary merit and their work easily drifts into slice of life. Very few comics have actual literary merits.(not that I'm saying that Alan Moore does)

Why would comics need literary merit? They're a completely different art form you dingus.

Y went to shit as the after volume 5.
Saga is just disgusting

Comics are considered a part of literature.

I bet /lit/ disagrees

I bet most of /lit/ would agree that a few comics hold literary merit.

I do not like all of his stuff, but he the stuff of his I do like is high on my 'must read list' (Swamp Thing especially). I feel he suffers from what a lot of good comic book writers have to deal with. His annoying fans who think he can do no wrong. It seems it is a common cancer these days. Pretentious idiots who will praise every little thing without any type of critical thinking or judgement. Thankfully it is not as bad as Morrison fans, or even the little girls who think Gaiman is a god, but it causes frustration with others when they have to hear about how anything other than Moore is shit and if you are not reading him your tastes are wrong. In reality it is just edgy idiots trying to act cool by enjoying something that is not 'well known'. More comic hipsters.

I also feel a lot of his stuff is taken out of context and no one catches the subtle things going on (in particular Rorschach mocking conservatism or how he constantly mocks Capitalism in his books).

/lit/ thinks genre fiction is plebshit, if you go over there talking about capeshit you'll get rightly laughed out

pick a comic from and read it or it's wikipedia page and make a thread where you pretend you know what you're talking about

The biggest part of it is that he's just so well-read, so he brings so much influence from all kinds of literature as much as he does from comics.

Every time I've tried to write something in the past few years I realize I cannot write a sentence even 1% as good as Moore can and give up.

I wish I knew where to even start reading to become as educated as this man.

from what I've gathered Sandman has more literary studies on it and is studied more in universities and Gaiman is just as well respected as a writer.

So he's amazing but not the ONLY one.

I feel so shitty, I still have yet to read any Eisner. I'M A FAKE!!! Most of Sup Forums hasn't read him either

By whom?

>I wish I knew where to even start reading to become as educated as this man.
Everything. Any well read person will just tell you read anything you can, and with a great variety.

As for crafting good sentences, most of it is just practice. But it does help to have someone read it over and pick it apart. I had a few mentors when I started writing and without them I would never have improved as much as I did. I also took a few classes and summer camps when I was growing up (no, never done /lit/ at university level) and some of the excercises help in bringing variety to your sentence structures. They don't always have to be complex sentences but you have to vary them to keep them from being repetitive (which is what I had trouble with in my early days).

Best recommendation, join a writing group.

comics are literature and art at the same time. They can be and should be studied from both angles. And when done right, can be more than the sum of their parts.

/lit/ has a vested interest in keeping the list of acceptable works to talk about and discuss as narrow as possible. The more exclusive and esoteric the list of "real" literature is the more "value' their liberal arts degrees carry.

Trusting what they say about literature is akin to trusting what a politician says about political power.

>Why is he so good?

Because Moore both understands and has a legitimate love for superhero comics (Tom Strong and Supreme are the best manifestation of this) while being able to laugh at and take the piss out of it.

He understands and appreciates the genre while being able to look beyond it. He's a fanboy with brains and vision.

Contrarian detected, the guy made not one but a dozen of the most famous ,iconic and critically praised comics in history,Watchmen,V for vendatta,League of Gentleman,Miracleman and others

This is very true, and especially true in the feed back loops of universities. Everyone ends up being force fed Shakespear, Greek Classics and other old english authors. This in turn just produces more academics that study and teach the same thing.

And it's not just that new authors and mediums fail to get studied and taught, but even literature from other countries never penetrates into academic studies in north america.

It's surprisingly hard to get some of his stuff where I'm at

Well they shouldn't be. The addition and focus of artwork means it functions totally different. Its closer to cinematography that Literature.

depends on how it's written, look at Me and Dorothy Parker by Alan Moore. it's clearly more literature than cinematography.

Really though, it is it's own medium and drawing a direct comparison to any combination of other mediums fails to work.

Marshall Mcluhan (the man who coined the term The Medium is the Message) said it was one of the two medium that engages it's audience most personally and challengingly.

Alan Moore and Hayao Miyazaki should be killed or euthanized, in public view.

Summer is hot.