Can they actually hear Stewie...

Can they actually hear Stewie? All this time I was thinking he was like Garfield and nobody but Brian could understand him since most of the time they just ignore what he says as if he didn't actually say it. But then I'm watching this scene and Lois specifically says "I agree with Stewie."

youtube.com/watch?v=0pnwE_Oy5WI

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RJLH_XdSU0Y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's Family Guy. It's all dependent on a gag.

How much of a dog is Brian mentally? He's usually very human-like smart (Although pretentious) but is confused by things they confuse regular dogs. How ugly is Meg, really? How can Peter simultaneously plan and execute complex schemes yet fail at basic functioning as a human?

You're overthinking a cartoon

I remember they had a gag like what you're describing, it was when Stewie and Brian went to talk to Loretta about something (I think she cheated Cleveland or something) and said something about it.

BETER

I'm an expert, let me answer this
the members of the family who have been shown understanding and acknowledging Stewie consistently are Brian and Chris, and as far as I can remember Seth said that the others do understand him but just choose to ignore him
it all depends on the episode, plot and jokes though, the crew has the freedom to decide whether or not a character is able to understand him in a certain moment, generally the characters that are completely unrelated to the family understand him
In Inside Family Guy (s15ep4) they have Peter outright say that he can understand Stewie, but this cartoon doesn't have much continuity generally, so there's that

They joked about it one episode. One of the family members says "I agree with Stewie" and the other asks "So can we hear him now" and they go "Eh, I dunno".

So the answer is mostly no but if the joke calls for it then yes.

they joke about it fairly often
I remember there's a joke about it in Dial Meg For Murder where they're blaming something they said on Stewie and he's like "oh, so NOW everyone understands me!"

If it's funnier for them to not hear or respond to what Stewie's saying then they won't. If it's funnier for them to understand and interact with Stewie, then they will.

Word of God is that adults can hear/understand Stewie when the plot requires it, but otherwise they can't understand Stewie.

Using your child's meager college fund to commission brewie pictures does not make you an expert.

my huh what? I'm sorry user but I didn't commission anyone, those people drew those pictures because they like it
And I called myself an "expert" because I made an obsession out of watching every Stewie episode so if anyone knows the answer to that question it would be me since I've seen all his episodes, but there isn't one clear answer, it's ambiguous on purpose

I agree with Peter, I was not a fan of the Godfather.

That scene is honestly fucking golden. For how terrible Family Guy is, it can be funny.

1. nice trips
2. seth himself said it runs on cartoon logic. The rules change every second

which episode was that?

Hopefully you can articulate your reasons why better than Peter did.

They joke about it in the end of "Petoria."

"So, like, can the family understand the baby, or or What's the deal with that?"

This entire board exists for the purpose of thinking about cartoons, I don't see why you suddenly have a problem with it now.

they can understand him just fine, they never listen to what he says though because he's a baby

>Stewie, all these months I should have been paying attention to what you were saying, you're an evil child!

Original Stewie was GOAT and they blew it

I'm pretty sure he was still human?

he is meta overthinking

I come here specifically to overthink cartoons

youtube.com/watch?v=RJLH_XdSU0Y

in universe, it depends on how close to the central cast the character is.

the central characters just baby babble and mostly pick up on his tone to understand him.

It's cartoon logic. Nobody hears him, unless the plot works better when they do. The "canon" is that nobody hears him, but the writers stopped following that rule decades ago.

I found the second act to be a dreadful waste of time. The whole Sicily arc was intended to motivate the MC into taking control, yet it could've accomplished that in 20 minutes or less. There was no need to focus a third of the movie on a boring romance with a cardboard cut-out woman just so she can get blown up.

It isn't a bad film by any means; it was honestly pretty good. I just don't think it deserves to be "the greatest film ever made".

I also feel this way about the wizard of Oz

Reminds me of

>And that's the story of Petoria, a little nation that, 200 years ago, seceded and repatriated in less than a week.
>Any questions?
>So, like, can the family understand the baby, or what's the deal with that?

>I found the second act to be a dreadful waste of time.
I love the movie, but I'll absolutely give you that the second act really drags on. The first and third acts are amazing though.

>I also feel this way about the wizard of Oz
Get off my board.

>There was no need to focus a third of the movie on a boring romance with a cardboard cut-out woman
She represented a lot. Innocence, love, romanticized idealism. Michael falls in love with her at first sight. The way he deals with her family in the most old world, traditional, honorable way. Then she gets killed due to a betrayal. The whole bit was showing american Italians fascination with Italy and the weird nostalgia they have with "the way things used to be back in the old country".
After she dies Michael (and us the viewer) has all of that stripped away and returns home a much more cynical but also better prepared leader. It absolutely is one of the best movies ever made.

>I also feel this way about the wizard of Oz
YOU'RE DEAD TO ME, CAN OPENER!

Chris, Brian, and Jillian understand what Stewie is saying. Everyone else varies.

this