ITT: visual changes in a cartoon that constantly upset you

ITT: visual changes in a cartoon that constantly upset you

>Peter used to have separate eyebrows back in classic Family Guy before the actual season 3 episodes eliminated them
>SpongeBob unironically gets more square every season post-movie

>Spongebob becomes more square
Fucking this

They went from an unique art style to shitty easy to animate shit.

I didn't care for Suzy's post-S1 redesign in Johnny Bravo.

This infuriated me as a child as much as it does today.

Eris started out like a beta design, and was alright. Her next appearance was immediately her best design and they used that for a while. Then they fucked it all up for all of her future appearances and shat out whatever the fuck that last design is.

THIS. FUCKING THIS. NOTHING WILL EVER MAKE ME AS MAD AS THIS

I miss when South Park tried harder to emulate the construction paper look. I guess a lot of people thought it was ugly.

is it bad that I actually liked that they moved choppier?

Nowadays the characters move so fluent that it's so mediocre for something that was intended to look like construction paper. Things became more detailed in ways that you couldn't even recreate poorly with construction paper too.

>model sheet with Limb Enhancers
Without Limb Enhancers:
>fan vector
>model sheet
>generic Peri
>Raven Molisee drawing
>Raven Molisee drawing
>Raven Molisee drawing

Ben 10 post-OS
the debut of alien force had me S E E T H I N G
I came around to Omniverse about halfway into its run
Reboot left me feeling numb

two on the far left are the only acceptable choices

who cares

that's the point yeah

>Windows XP
>Windows 7
>Windows 10

>Dexter had a serious look and two buttons on his... i don't know... shirt? during the first two seasons

OG Gumball was the cutest desu

This, I hated her S2design, its so boring and it looks like it's going to keep getting worse for female Wakfu MCs.

Wow shit taste

Boy oh boy, it surely would be a shame if something were to happen to my art style

I've been considering watching this show but this image is one of the things discouraging me. Is it really that bad?

It's not constant. Like all characters, her height changes depending on who's boarding a scene.

I actually didn't mind the art shift for alien force. I felt like it matched the grimdark tone they were going for, and it was an acceptable shift.

Also, AF/UA had the best VA for Azmuth. So it had that going for it

I feel you. That face now is pretty awful .

every. single. time.

Welcome to the world of Pokemon!

Most of the redesigns for The New Batman Adventures sucked ass and did little to make the characters stand out more. Some aspects worked but overall it was a huge misstep.
I don't even really understand why they changed it. I guess they felt they wanted to make the show look more anime-ish or modern.
Joker and Penguin got it the worst in my opinion but at least Joker's role didn't change, unlike Penguin, who was completely robbed of his personality and relegated to cameos.

At least The Scarecrow got a huge upgrade. But even then he only had a major role in 1 episode.

the change in design was because they needed to differentiate eva from `generic female cra design`
i like the season 2 design personally. both are good

Mutant DeVito Penguin running a high society nightclub doesn't really work

season 2 has thigh high boots, if we talk waifu quality wise, thats an improvement

He doesn't need to be. If their goal was to make him look more human and refined, as was their original intention, there's a ton of ways they could have approached it.
This sketch Bruce Timm made of Danny DeVito in costume would have worked perfectly. Even their original sketch from the Writer's Bible would have been much better.

But what they did was make him as humanly bland as possible and stick him in the Iceberg Lounge (as the comics did) to be relegated to cameos.
Look at his TNBA design. How in the hell is this supposed to convey any sort of emotion ? He conveys no character or flair, and as a result Paul Williams had nothing to work with so the character sounded bored too.
His TAS design was a perfect blend of Golden/Silver Age Penguin and Burton's Penguin which made him really expressive and animated. His TNBA design was a bland and disinterested one-note caricature that looks more like a background character (which is exactly what he became).

>the art gets more "clean" and more "on-model" every season
I fucking hate this shit. It makes everything looks soulless

kek

The fuck is the context with these?

Gumball has fine plots, but man I hate how the art style quickly rotted.

By the way, wasn't there an episode of Season 1 where all the characters had squiggly lines? I think it was that the field trip into scary forest episode or something.

The Picnic? The art of that episode is just beautiful. Gumball looks so bad now

flash truly was the worst thing to happen to animation

It looks like they just took a picture, slightly edited it in Photoshop, and used it as a background.
A 8th grader can do something like this without much guidance.

Fucking this. I hate it when shows with organic, unpolished art styles become more corporate and soulless as the show goes on. It even happened to Ed Edd n Eddy a little bit in the later seasons.

>yfw Sup Forums is full of people who prefer the soulless

I dropped the show after this.

in my opinion steven and conie get it worse

Post the Connie picture

The first stage is she was actually equipped with mechanical limb extenders.
Everything after that is just the creator encouraging an extremely loose art direction that leads to extremely different looks from episode to episode.

SU has a lot of problems, and one of those is that no one is ever EVER on model.

is Flapjack the only cartoon that successfully changes artstyles so often? The show was so surreal that it worked well.

Connie's original design

big mistake, I've rewatched season 2 multiple times and it holds up well

Then why didn't you?

What happened to the proportions of the characters in this show? Even Stevonnie (who was striking because of how realistic-ish she looked in her debut) became really shrunken and disproportionate.

I like it with Family Guy, but I fucking hate how clean Simpsons looks.

Everything about Family Guy before the Season 3 episodes that weren't Season 2 holdovers was radically off-putting for me.

You don't have to choose different episodes, even in the same episode the characters look different since different people are boarding it.

Pretty sure they always had boiling lines, it was just hard to see most of the time.

Not a visual change to a series but a crossover episode where the guest characters have a very radical difference in their design

Whhhyyy

>Your Pokémon journey starts now!

Watch the first and only good season.

Because I'm not a animator.

it was mostly because in the snow episode they look more passable in the new design

Y-you missed the joke. See, by saying "Why didn't you" to your 8th grader comment, I was calling you an 8th grader and... forget it.

Also, that's Gumball's style: Either taking real life pictures and photoshoping them together to create a new location or rendering out 3d models to make them, then turn that realistic style on its head by adding unrealistic cartoon characters to them.

I always thought it was clever that they made Jake look more like an eastern style dragon while Gramps was a chinese dragon

Then the redesigns came in and now every dragon is a flying snake

I still don't know how the dick anyone would even consider the TNBA joker design a good idea, it looks flat out lazy compared to the BTAS design.

And i always thought that the penguin design they used looked like a goddamn background character. Seriously, he looks so damn generic.

Scarecrow had a massive upgrade in the new batman aventures though.

The Eastern style dragon basically ruined it for me. He's the AMERICAN Dragon for a reason. They also killed the art direction's personality at the same time.

Well shit, here I am not knowing my east from my west

too bad that episode sucked

I always miss how early Adventure Time episodes actually had interesting facial expressions while the later seasons all use the same few over and over. A lot less dynamic.

Wait, west? i thought you said weast

The episode was fine.

the storyboards is an instrument of patriarchy

Promoting a "loose" art style.

In other words ditching animation/drawing guides, storyboards, or any kind of tool that helps keep the show with a coherent art style/direction.

That idea could work if the animators actually gave a crap about keeping the characters on model rather than distort everything at seemingly random.

I don't get why this is always posted and not this. Smoky Quartz is supposed to be taller than JASPER, but she's barely a head taller than the counter here

it makes me sad because she was immediate waifu material for me in the first episode. They achieved to destroy her character completely by the recent seasons.

Because Smoky Quartz was a mistake and everyone did their best to forget she exists

Legitly kek'd

That's exactly how I felt with Peridot before Catch and Release aired. Once she became a stupid midget I dropped the show.

>I hate it when shows with organic, unpolished art styles become more corporate and soulless as the show goes on

Then you should watch Steven Universe, the art styles get looser and looser over time instead.

I always liked the artstyle used for DB pre-Androids saga. It felt more raw and full of life, and the characters looked their best, especially adult Goku and Krillin

Actually, Steven Universe did become more "clean" and safe as the seasons progressed. Compare the ugly raw artstyle of season 1 to the chibi-fied designs of the later seasons.

Old DB was cartoonish as hell. It was great.

I'm an amateur webcomic artist with an unreleased project that has been in develpment. I always got critiqued when exposing my work with the saying "the lines aren't crisp or sharp" and "shit looks sketchy" so I eventually developed a style that looked more consistent and polished.

I hated it.

I actually had to re-train myself to seek a style with less polished artwork but a level of decency that made it readable

>I always got critiqued
By who?

I have my own set of art friends I messaged to see their opinions on my work

damn, I forgot how visceral end of DB, and early DBZ was. And I hate how all the super fights are the same

Hey that's how I felt about Sadie before the island episode and now that Jasper is never coming back.

What's the point of the date if it isn't the production year?

You sure? I'm a massive S1-fag and even I think The Picnic is a bad episode. Although it is kinda nice visually, the story is just so awful

Totally agree

I like the changes with Gumball. It kinda shows him aging, which they do kinda have since they gave them new voice actors when his and Darwin's VA's voices changed.

Did Zuke ruin her forever guys? Can they fix her now that all of Zuke's work has aired?
They REALLY need a height chart. Even if they only use it as a vague reference without being exact, this kind of shit is why. I know not all of them are from the crew but you end up with some ridiculous fucking scenes where Steven is the size of a basketball.

It's a decent show if you ignore tumblr, but the crew doesn't use height charts or practice consistency. Most of the time it's fine and it gives them the freedom to create some unique expressions for some scenes but other times it's really jarring and looks fucking stupid. The filler has this problem the most. Skip the first 26 episodes because Steven is fucking annoying in them. There's youtube guides for where you can start for the best experience since the show really doesn't get good for a long while. You can always go back and watch them once you're more invested.

and it was great

I fixed it.

>It kinda shows him aging,
Are you fucking kidding me?

Zuke was truly dog shit wasn't she

>defending S3+ Gumball art