Let's settle this

Is Stark a scientist, or just a builder? Is he a smarter Forge (can actually tell what he's doing), or does he deserve a place in the Top 3? This has been a debate for a while now. There are folks who are saying that the true Top 3 are Reed (self-explainatory), Pym (Pym's tech is borderline magic) & T'Challa (Polymath) as far as heroes go. They bump Tony to 4, sometimes 5, bellow Banner. If you factor Valeria, Doom & Ult!Reed, plus Cho, he barely makes the Top 10. But why?

He's probably one of the smartest in technology, but he's not an overall genius like other heroes.

I don't think Stark is a genius on remotely the same level as Reed or Pym. He's probably the best engineer on the planet, but he's not doing super science.

Didn't you hear, OP? The top 2 smartest goes to two completely normal little black girls who are far more intelligent than these long established characters for some explainable reason cuz numarvel said so.

But still, shouldn't be Top 5 at least? He's created clean nukes, tech that is still used in Kang's time and a self-replicating city to name a few.

He's definitely bellow Reed & Pym. But Banner & T'Challa? I don't buy that.

He's the best at what he does, but what he does is engineering and the physics that dictate its limits rather than fucking with the nature of reality every week.

No way are T'Challa, Banner, Cho and Beast are smarter than Stark. And Forge doesn't. His superpower is building stuff that he wants to build. It doesn't matter if he understand how it works or how to build it. If he wanted to build something he can. But that doesn't necessary mean his creations are better. Just take Forge's robotic limbs for example. They are what they are, robotic limbs. Nothing special about them otherwise. Stark was capable of creating synthetic limbs that feels and react like the real thing. Just look at the late Jame Rhodes current synthetic body.

>Just look at the late Jame Rhodes current synthetic body.
I really hope Stark backed him up periodically for just such an occasion. Considering it took him, what, a year to grow a transbod for Rhodey? With his brain patterns on file, it wouldn't take long to bring him back.

That won't be the same as resurrecting him though since it is just a copy of his mind as oppose to the original. He would effectively be a clone.

>invented a cellphone app that transforms the entirety of the human genome
>works on both apple and android OSes
>not super science

nice meme, retard

His involvment with Extremis shouldn't be ignored.

Didn't that nearly kill him?

One thing I wondered. His nipples are clearly visible so... is his dick "gold-plated" at that image?

Also, Granov Tony = Best Tony. Most other times he looks like RDJ or Bruce Wayne with a van dyke.

Who gives a shit? Captain Cold created a gun that stops the movement of all atoms out miscellaneous refrigerator parts in Forever Evil. It even accepts vocal commands and accepts only his voiceprint.

You think anyone in DC Earth considers him a genius? Fuck no. It goes like this
>Batman
>Lex Luthor
>Reasonably smart guys who aren't Batman, like Ted Kord or Supes or whatever
>The unwashed masses
>The severely retarded
>Hal Jordan

By that logic, Tony is also a clone considering what happened after the Stark Disassembled arc. Doesn't stop people from Identifying him as Tony. And also by that logic, Rhodey was already a clone seeing as how his original body and brain died as he was uploaded to the transbod.

Just because he's a clone doesn't mean he's not Rhodey. Have Dr. Strange transplant the soul if that's needed.

Nope. It saved his live after a brutal beating by a extremis-enhanced terrorist.

Dr. Strange doesn't just go around stitching shit into other shit. He's not Farnsworth

Tony's soul never left his body. He just wiped his memories. Rhodey is essentially a clone since he moved his brain patters to another body. Tony never did that.

As others have stated, Reed and Pym are on a whole other level. Those guys are THE super scientists that excel in doing things beyond comprehension.

Stark is just the best at what he does, which is technology. Kind of like Banner is radiation and biological science. Stark is the best in a field but he doesn't have that dominance in other fields.

With Extremis, Stark has found the key to the human future. Not homo superior, or homo inhumanus, it is homo extremis that will lead us to immortality.

I think he isn't even the best in his field... Reed, Doom and Pym surpass him in AI and robotic, in the last 20 years they gave Tony more AI and robotic achievements but nothing we haven't seen before, his current AI form is based on what Pym did when he invented Ultron so many years ago, you know... brain patterns, that's old news.

So where do Beast and Cho and Lunella and the rest go? Riri made herself a suit, which we've seen dozens of times before but I guess her thing is that she perfectly recreated it with comparatively shitty parts and no budget so that's something, but then you have dudes like Ghost who have armor that's debatably better so ???

Marvel needs to get rid of the ranking system power level bullshit because it just doesn't make sense, intelligence isn't a power level and any test would just be arbitrary at that point.

It's better to think of characters in terms of what they're best at.

Designing technology to solve a problem? Stark is the best.

Exploring and understanding science to make new discoveries and revelations? Pym.

Able to take in variables and make almost precognitive predictions through sheer processing power? Cho.

This gives characters more of an identity, makes them cooler, and it puts some limits on what they can just science up.

>Able to take in variables and make almost precognitive predictions through sheer processing power?
Reed when expanding his brain and Stark when he still had Extremis were significantly faster than Cho though.

>cellphone app that transforms the entirety of the human genome

I don't know the context but that's fucking bullshit even in science fantasy, its on the same tier as that image of that guy that wanted to phase through a wall becouse he knew a mathematical formula

Stark as a character is really hindered by existing in the MU.

Nah, he's still King of Robotics. Doom's armor is more durable, but not as sophisticated. Reed says during TRO that Tony is the best builder & multitasker. Reed & Pym are definitelysmarter, but Tony's still better at mechanics.

I agree with the sentiment, although it gets murky when you add Doom with his magic/science, and Ult!Reed with his... whatever.

This. Bleeding Edge Tony was getting his brain pumped by a neutron star arc reactor.

That is some next level bait.

Actually, with the RT Chestpiece in Stark, he's actually even faster than he was with Extremis. Even Reed was impressed.

>that guy
Fuck off casual
And if you read it, the app was just a trigger signal for the shit he was pumping into their bodies through their water supply

Is there any scientist in the MU that measures up to Dr. Sivana? And bear in mind, Luthor once figured out time travel with a flash light and a few cans.

Did they ever even attempt to explain that? Also, sauce? I don't remember if it was canon or just an AU.

Yeah, but his doesn't turn into a genocidal maniac or beats his wife so Tony perfected the process.

Why explain it?

Because it is damn stupid, even by comic book standards. Never mind though,from the scan it's a Silver Age book.

this doesn't really look like a complicated formula but i majored in the humanities so it's not like i know what i'm talking about

While both Reed and Pym have slapped their wives Tony isn't married. I only hope some excuse comes up when he's fully back in action for him to slap riri.

Tony Stark keeps fucking up the world by starting shit with other Avengers and he doesn't even have an excuse though

Who are the smartest guys who aren't an unseemly tumor on the face of humanity? Cho seems comparatively harmless so far

It doesn't make sense. It's partial derivative of tin regards to x, plus some other gibberish with variables. You can't expand it at all.

I don't know, I mean... if Pym were a weapons/armor designer, I think he would be better than Stark but he don't want to be that (neither Richards), Salvation I was superior than any armor/robot created by Stark, not to mention Ultron... or when Ultron wanted to create Jocasta and later Alkhema, he wasn't looking for Stark, he went looking for Pym (and MacLain), not counting that according to Jocasta Pym is God of modern AI (replacing Horton), I'm not saying that Stark isn't a great inventor, but I don't consider him the best in his field, IMO.

Johns is such a fucking hack.

T'Challa is easily above Tony, he continually solves science problems that stump him.

Take away that and Stark becomes a glorified businessman. Giving Ultron to Hank was a mistake from the start. They now have two Ultra-Geniuses between him and Reed, two polymaths in Doom & Panther, and Stark has nothing to be the "best at" at the very least.

I'm more curious as to how it works. Does he just say it out loud and it allows him to phase through whatever he wants? Or does he just need to think it? He's not falling through the floor, so it only works on what he wants it to work on. And how long does the effect last?

He almost married that Japanese chick before she died and he never beat her, so point for Tony.

>I'm a 10th level intellect Lex

The cellphone app merely gives operating instructions to Extremis nanomachines, which Tony did not invent. He basically made the equivalent of a monetized flashlight app. Even the armor he was wearing during that arc was derived from something another company attempted.

He's the businessman and the REAL fuck up of the MU.

> Tony can make a mech out of a bunch of scraps.

> But Riri can make a racial grievance out of thin air.

A marvel genious is basically a master of every conceivable science and engineering doctrine who can come up with bullshit weapons and inventions in no time despite their titles having nothing to do with engineering and vice versa. There really isn't a way to categorize them beyond the power of their brains.

It's the traditional comic version of a scientist - an amalgam of inventor/engineer and theoretical scientists who comes across a discovery and starts designing machinery around it. Stark (transistors), Banner (gamma rays), Pym (Pym Particles), etc, etc

The only one who breaks the mold is Reed who's basically a super genious who does everything without problems.

If we judge from what they did when they were introduced, Banner was the only one designed as a normal researcher, and iirc when t'challa was introduced as a genious he was also a normal scientist with no bullshit abilities he shouldn't have. Everytone else was a classic comic scientist

Stark is the Engineer. In the face of a problem he is the greatest of innovators and inventors. In want of a problem, he flounders and will inevitably create his own.

Richards is the Explorer. He is always pushing for the next frontier. His focus is always on the next discovery and risks loses track of whats around and behind him.

Pym is The Mad Scientist. The line between madness and genius, it drives him to make the impossible possible, to accomplish what others tell him he can't, and suffer the consequences.

Doom is the Smith. Knowledge is a tool. Expert in its craft, but to be used and expended with no care for it beyond its intended purpose.

Chi and Banner most definitely are

>is his dick "gold-plated" at that image?
duh

underrated post

Best thing Cho ever made is some forcefield and energy blast mace. Best thing Banner ever did was creating Gamma monster which anyone can do if you expose innocent animals to gamma radiation.

I'm struggling to think of any true robots Stark's even built, whereas Doom cranks them out like he's baking cookies. I'd say Stark is more of a cyberneticist, man/machine interfaces rather than robotics. Doom's armor also may be more old school but he tends to pack gizmos Stark would never dream of pulling off.
And then there's pic related.

All matter is primarily composed of empty space and anytime you touch a wall you have an infinitely small chance of going right through it. Luthor probably found a way to make that chance non-zero

Yes yes human. It's all just comic book nonsense. Go to sleep and forget you ever saw it.

Stark has on numerous occasions conceded that Banner is smarter than he is

Has Stark interacted with Moon Girl yet?

>You think anyone in DC Earth considers him a genius? Fuck no. It goes like this
>>Batman
>>Lex Luthor
>>Reasonably smart guys who aren't Batman, like Ted Kord or Supes or whatever
>>The unwashed masses
>>The severely retarded
>>Hal Jordan

Bullshit,only a Johns fanboy would rank Hal that high

Just like how Moon Girl is considered the smartest human ever. Or how Cho is a legitimate 8th smartest human just because he won some soap contest. Or how Beast and T'Challa is actually consider top 10 ranking. Or how they claimed Peter got the potential to be smarter than Doom, Richards and Stark. Laughable.

And only Batman fags rank Batman that high. Most of Batman's tech is build by other people or taken from other people. Brother Eye is probably his own creation that he can really call his own. And Brother Eye was only capable of become the unique and threat that it became because of someone else. Batman is ranked too damn high.

I would easily put Magnus, Ivo, Sivana, etc above Bruce depending on who still exists I guess.

Any attempt to rank the intelligences in marvel is going to come up short. People always ,entire reed, tony Hank, cho, banner, doom, ect .

But they always forget crazy shit like... All of reeds other villainous intellectuals. Like the mad thinker, or people like MODOCK or the leader. Let alone shit like Valeria or people who have mastered disciplines other than science, like dr strange