Give me your best X-Men comic recommendations

Give me your best X-Men comic recommendations.

Other urls found in this thread:

comicvine.gamespot.com/x-men/4060-3173/guide/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

comicvine.gamespot.com/x-men/4060-3173/guide/

This is a pretty decent list. If you have a basic understanding of the X-men Whedon or Morrisson is pretty decent starting point for modern X-men.

Read everything Claremont wrote pre-2000
Mike Carey's X-Men legacy
Si Spurrier's X-men legacy
Grant Morrison's New X-Men
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
I might have missed something but that's pretty much the "great" X-books. Everything else is just okay

Claremont wrote them for 17 years, 75 to 1991 iirc.
He made them the most popular best selling comic, created most characters and most classic stories.
But reading all that may be very overwhelming, its 15 years of comics.
Some of the most famous stories that I think you should be able to get in trades would be the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix Saga, the Proteus Saga, Days of the Future Past, The Brood Saga, the Storm Morlocks story, Mutant Massacre (a crossover of the X Men titles and Thor), Inferno, X-Tinction Agenda are just some of the ones I can remember.
X-Men changed more than most Marvel and DC Comics, in the last years of Claremont, X Men were believed to be dead, were acting secretely from Australia and the team was Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Colossus, Dazzler, Longshot and Havok (Cyclop's brother)

Also, Claremonts New Mutants is as good as or even better than his Uncanny X-Men.

the 90s after Claremont had the X Men at their peak of popularity, but comics werent so good.
The best thing from the 90s is the Age of Apocalypse crossover event, one of those rare good events from Marvel, all Marvel books were replaced with Age of Apocalypse books during the duration of that event.
The good long running series of the 90s was X Factor by Peter David. He wrote them like from 1991 to 1998, and also had a long run from 2005 until a few years ago. The main X Factor character is Maddrox the multiple man, who was killed recently in Inhumans vs X-Men.
Another comic that is decent, is Generation X, which is the comic in which Emma Frost, former super villain, becomes a hero. She is basically a teacher of young teenage mutants. The most famous one is Jubilee.

The X-Men had many good comics this millenium until relatively recently, like 2013, when Perlmutter got mad with Fox.

I will continue in another post since the message is getting too long

Really appreciate these posts. Thanks, lads.

I'm recommending Ultimate X-Men.
Just all of it.
It's not "best" as in good, but it really is a clusterfuck of its own thing and I think it's something everyone should read at some point.

I meant to link the post to OP, sorry

continue post
From the 2000s on you should read:
-Morrison's new X-Men, the most important book.
-Whedon's Astonishing X-Men (Wallen Erris is good too).
-The House of M event (the moment when Marvel decided to make the X-Men franchise smaller and no longer their main franchise) mutants go from 16 millions to like 200 and an endangered species
-the Messiah Complex crossover event
-Avengers vs X-Men (because of its importance, not because it is good, it will probably make you angry)
-Gillen's Uncanny X-Men and Consequences of Avengers vs X-Men
-PADs X Factor
-X Force by Kyle/Yost, and Remender's X-Force (probably the second most acclaimed X Book of the 2000s after Morrison)
-Spurrier's X Men legacy

And that's it. In the last few years only Bunn has written acceptable X-Men books, but not great.

Never been much of an X guy. Just came here to ensure my faves were mentioned.

These are the about the only X comics I enjoyed, and i loved them!

>Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
>Peter David's 2005 to a few years ago run on X-Factor

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to start with Claremont's run for now and go from there.

Generation X by Lobdell/Bachalo is the best

Ugh, I feel you. Also Synch's death was a damn shame.

I dont understand why it is so common for characters to die when a run ends.
Recently in the X-Men Belen from Barcelona, the girl rescued by the 05 in Blue got murdered in X-Men gold, only a few weeks later.
And Bunn killed the only new mutants he created (and had some lines) in his Uncanny X-Men.

It is like they destroy their toys so nobody else can use them. Although I think Marvel as of now may have a "dont create new mutants" policy.

What's in it for me

>"dont create new mutants" policy.
I think its always something like this. If you make something clean it up on your way out. The status quo is god and all. They just bring them back anyways if they want them.

New Mutants is the best X-Men comic, it's better than Claremont's UXM run. Just read it start to finish, even after he left.

Dazzler is cut eif you want some campy 80s stuff

I cant remember the name of the arc or the writer, but I liked those stories with Rachel, Havok, Polaris and "Darwin" in space, that had a Shi Ar guy with a final fantasy sword too. It was about Vulcan the brother of Cyclops iirc.

>-Whedon's Astonishing X-Men (Wallen Erris is good too).

Actually really liked the Ellis run on the book. Hell even fucking WAY of all people had an okay story that was basically just Armor punching monsters Godzilla style. Not great but decent fun.

I just really wish Armor got used more. She has a cool power. With any luck that new cable book won't be shit.

It may be the only XBook I care about (if its good). I dont even mind liefeld jr

Uncanny Avengers is my jam just because Rogue is so sexy in it
but Cable team with Longshot and Doop? sign me the fuck up

Cable is shit. Everything but Generation X is shit right now. Gen X is merely 'okay'.

And Blink. That was a real surprise.

Cable is absolute dogshit right now, but both writer and artist have abandoned the book and been replaced, I think the next one is their last one. Cable is basically getting a relaunch with a team that has Blink, Doop, X-23, Armor, Longshot and Shatterstar.

I like those characters infinitely more than the 05. I wish New X Men were a team with the young kids that have proved to be popular like Hellion, Armor, Rockslide, and the 05 didnt exist.

GenX's team is so fucking gay
Strain isn't that bad of a writer but fuck that team
Husk should be leading them

Longshot is literately my favorite X-Men

Man fuck the 05. It's bad enough the only X-kid who gets any push at all is X23. Now the proper x-kids have to deal with getting overshadowed by the main x-men and their jr versions? Bullshit.

Oh and lets not forget how they just drag Beast through the mud for no reason. It's just, god Beast just used to be my favorite. It kills me to see this

Gay stories are valid sometimes, esp. When it's X-Men. They are kinda gay.

The hard part is it isn't treading new ground or bringing back the good old Gen X ground.

Is Claremont the single longest running writer of a cape series? 17 years sounds absolutely nuts for one guy to oversee a cape franchise.

Claremont until you just can't anymore; then go back and read on after a break.
New Mutants
Liefield's X-Force. Cable Blood and Metal. Taste the 90's, ffs.
Age of Apocalypse is really entertaining, imo.
I don't know shit after that except that you should avoid Deadly Genisis. It's the comic book equivalent of being retroactively molested as a child. I'm still mad.

Erik Larson has been writing and drawing Savage Dragon since the 1990s.

Isn't Savage Dragon his baby though? I don\t think that counts the same way

All New X-Men by Brian Michael Bendis

Same here as far as beast goes. I remember watching the 90's cartoon and instantly connecting with him because of how level-headed and rational he was. But it seems like every writer after Morrison just started turning him into a bigger and bigger douchebag. Then came Bendis. I will never fucking forgive bendis for turning my favorite childhood character into a guy who turns evil cause he didn't get the pussy. Pic related, it's my face after reading the end of Uncanny x-men.

Claremont Uncanny X-Men run
Claremont/Lee X-Men run
Morrison New X-Men
Whedon Astonishing X-Men

There's a lot of ancillary material during the 80s - early 90s that is pretty decent like the Wolverine solo series, X-Factor (O5 companion series), Excalibur (X-Men in England), New Mutants, and X-Force

I would recommend blind buying all 3 volumes of the Uncanny omnis, the two untitled X-Men Claremont/Lee omnis, New X-Men omni, Whedon Astonishing complete collection TPBs

If you dig that go spend the extra money and buy the X-Force omnibus (which is just the Liefeld run of X-Force in it's entirety which is essentially an evolution of New Mutants who have the first omnibus coming out this year which you should definitely get)

I can't really recommend the Wolverine solo series, kind of average desu. Excalibur is pretty decent, lots of good issues by Claremont and Alan Davis BUT tons of rubbish filler stuff. X-Factor is pretty crappy, it's just a book about the original five X-Men.

Ultimate X-Men is okay but it's not anywhere as good as Ulitmate Spider-Man, I wouldn't recommend it.

I actually TO THIS DAY use "Oh my stars and garters" as an exclamatory. I loved how calm and well spoken and smart he was. And despite his appearance was like Kurt rather quite charming.

He was the teams smart guy but also the heart. Driven to science at out of honest to good desire to save people. He wasn't just a nerd he was a healer.

I was big into the X-men around the the time the whole Legacy virus was a thing and just watching him try and fail to save people close to him was heavy stuff.

And that was the Tragedy of his character. No matter how much he tried to help it was never enough.

Except now we have a modern crop of writers who fail to understand his character and therefore think he's too perfect so they decide to make him a jealous douche to compensate thereby ruining him. Wonder if they would have shat on him so hard if he was a woman.

Claremont's classic Uncanny X-Men run.

And that's it, everything that came afterwards is just the same old same old.

faggot

It's true tho

it's not at all

Yeah that's why the pheonix never came back

Age of Apocalypse doe

What about it? Just a longer DoFP.

Phoenix, dystopian future, Magneto, mutant massacre... every X-Men story since Claremont left has been about these in one way or another.

Spider-Man and The X-Men

Huh... Everyone seems to be in agreement about Claremont, Morrison, and Whedon being the only runs to care about.

I've heard that Matt Fraction's run is pretty solid, as well as Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men. Any info on those?

I wouldn't say ONLY but they're the easiest to point the good stories is all.

X-Men: To Serve and Protect

it's not everyone's cup of tea but I really enjoyed New X-Men

A lot of us around here like the X-kids both the fun school book and the not so fun afterwards.

That series got fucked though. There last issue was an event tie in where they didn't even show up

I really miss Surge

I would't recommend those. Try Gillen's run, it's actually pretty good.

Don't read them. That's the best recommendation.

Better stick to something else. They were good once but they'll never be good ever again. At least till Marvel gets movie rights back.

They were already shit before the whole movie rights came to play. Now they're just shittier.

>They were good once but they'll never be good ever again

I don't disagree with you but I refuse to believe that new shitty stories can make the old ones lose their value.

We have a lot of good years of good x-men comics and we shouldn't give those up even if the new ones are garbage

I've only read Whedon's Astonishing X-Men and Ultimate X-Men.

Astonishing is REALLY good.

Ultimate is a bit shaky at points, but most of it is really good. In case anyone's wondering:
>Mark Millar: Vol. 1-6
Solid as fuck

>Bendis: 7-8
Go read this shit now

>Vaughn: 9-13
Really good, but nothing special

>Kirkman: 14-18
>Coleite: 19-20
Dog shit

>Loeb: Ultimate X
Not bad, but pointless

>Spencer: Vol. 1-2 (reboot)
Surprisingly good

>Brian Wood: 3-6
Almost as good as Millar.

>Fialkov: Cataclysm tie-in
Not bad, but pointless.

I should probably continue my work on this at some point.

None. Avoid the X-Men at all costs.

>Love X-men as a kid through the 80s and 90s
>Live to see them in the 10

even the early 00s where alright

My recommendations:
Grant Morrison's New X-Men
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
Warren Ellis' Astonishing X-Men
Kieron Gillen's S.W.O.R.D.
Charlie Huston's Wolverine the Best There Is

Pic is from Wolverine The Best There Is

>That feel when Kieron Gillen's run could have been amazing if AvX didn't happen.

It's not really a franchise, but Bendis just hit 17 years with the Ultimate Spider-Man books.

I feel that.

Fucking Marvel.

They're probably the most JUSTed squad in existance.

Brian, Laurie, Kevin and Jay dead (Jay after being responsible for the deaths of 42 kids, Kevin after turning evil, Brian after being depowered, Lauria after everyone hating her).

David and Sofia Depowered. (sofia now completly gone).

Julian turned from Chad into emo and manage to get dumped by fucking X-23 just after having reached first base.

Surge got dumped and turned into a jealous angry cunt.

X-23 is now Wolverine, is being replaced her her even younger teenage wolvie clone and is completly void of a personality.

Josh is going bonkers.

I guess Soraya and Rockslide are the only ones who do alright for themselves? Though they're being kinda ignored, like the rest.

Kek, Scott can't handle the bantz

New Mutants 00's and Wolverine and the X-Men were both good books.