I... I don't know what I expected

I... I don't know what I expected.

Sup Forums, just... hold me, Sup Forums. I know this isn't your fault. I want the western cartoon industry to be good, and it's not, and even worse is that... I don't read comic books, but... it's writers like "Warren Ellis" that completely kill any interest I might have in them. If this is the best they could get... I'm sorry for anyone that was REALLY REALLY looking forward to this show.

I wasn't expecting much but I was really into it, 9/10 for me

Wow. If it makes you this butthurt, we should get Warren Ellis to write all the animes.

you type like a faggot, I'm glad you're butthurt

I mean, for what it's worth, I was able to enjoy it too, maybe even in a "I want to see if this gets better or not" kind of way, and there were definitely moments that I liked, but it kind of fell flat in a lot of portions for me. ESPECIALLY with the writing. I feel like if this show was restrained from trying to be for "mature" audiences (see: Deadpool fans), it would actually be more refined, and provoke more intuitive writing. I don't know why, but all of the gratuitous language and gore just felt like "let's put this in", but it didn't feel like it was pushed to its absolute limits, like Metalocalypse or something, which coincidentally, I would get vibes of from certain moments.

Fuck, man, if he had to write for ALL the animes, he'd have all that time to practice and get better at actually writing, so that'd probably just be interesting to watch.

This cartoon made me into a faggot, I just... feel so vulnerable... somebody warm me up

Show was great. You're a fag, OP.
Surprising no one.

You have bad taste OP

>needs more technobabble!

you will never be the filling in a trevor belmont and dracula sandwich.

Nah, this was worse than Legend of Korra Season 4, you guys will eat anything up if you thought this was good.

Hello, shill.
Goodbye, shill.

>not liking Warren Ellis
Way to quantify how shit your tastes are.

How can I like this guy? The first impression he's given me is his writing "talent" on these four episodes, and they were awful. The least he could have done it write it competently.

Why is it that the show's overall animation was more slides and stills than anything else? The studio they hired is extremely competent, but it seems like for every 1 second of animation they did, there was about 40 seconds worth of just standing around. Did they do this on a really short deadline or something?

I mean...can you explain why you didn't like it?

All you've done is said "lololol it was shit" so far with no actual opinions/reasons why.

>we should get Warren Ellis to write all the animes.

I liked X-men anime

Samefag

You're absolutely awful at articulating your opinions

I didn't like the church's portrayal and Trevor was annoying but I liked it fine it was better than Lords of Shadpw

What about the writing didn't you like? I found it to be pretty solid, especially considering that it's his first time writing for an animated series. Basically what said.

It certainly was more respectful of the source than Lords of Shadow

Only thing I didn't care for was the over the top anti-Christianity.

I know the church wasn't great in medieval times, but the show literally has priests with weapons in literal gangs. And then they get brutally murdered because they have no redeeming or humanizing qualities. Not to mention the defacement and destruction of Christian symbolism.

I'm not a Christfag, but it was really trying hard.

Its amazing and not only do you have terrible taste for not liking it, but you are a fucking retard.

Not his first time. He wrote GI Joe: Resolute. Which was also pretty good.

>I didn't like the church's portrayal
It was accurate

I mean the Church as a political organization is clearly depicted as corrupt, but not the Faith. I mean the priest at the end was able to bless holy water meanwhile the Bishop was so far gone that God wouldn't keep demons from entering his church.

Thus posing as priests != The actual Church
It's like a large organisation can't have corrupt people in it after their own gain.
A demon flat out says God is real.

I'm the first two.

>especially considering that it's his first time writing for an animated series
That's irrelevant, if he had experience writing, he should have been able to keep cause and effect relatively solid, and it just wasn't smooth at all.

Okay, don't get me wrong, I could care less about any political or religious commentary. I wouldn't have minded that at all. But it was extremely naïve to claim that it was just one guy's fault that Dracula's wife was feared and burned. Like was it not obvious what century this took place in? I feel like the writer was just counter-signaling the idea that people can be easily led sheep that are all just as ignorant and cruel as anyone without even realizing it. Instead, it was "some priest was in control and totally could have prevented her and other people like the speakers from having any religious stigma because it's not like fucking everybody was religious and fearful of weird shit". It just seems unrealistic. Like if this were written like SotN (Japanese), Dracula would actually call out Alucard in the first episode for thinking it's just one guy's fault, but the writer actually intended it for one or two people to take the blame, so Dracula just goes berserk and attacks Alucard because he's right. I feel like the writing's not very good if you can't even make the bad guy's motives seem logical in any way. It should have been as simple as him missing her requesting that he not take it out on humanity for her execution, but instead they tried making a false context in which only one guy was to blame for it.

I had gone and described how I felt about the gratuitous immaturity, so I won't bring that up again. I guess if you like Deadpool, you'll like this cartoon.

Just the asshole bishops and his lackeys. They got what was coming but meanwhile a regular priest was able to make holy water and help with the demons. The institution is full of corruption and power hungry zealots but the faith is still there

(continued)

Then there's Trevor's motivation. It was just weird. I can understand a guy getting drunk because his bloodline was fucked over before they could be asked to take care of Dracula, but they way he "developed" into bothering about any of it seemed unnatural. "LOL oops looks like I whipped some guy's eye out but it's okay because he's clearly too immoral to be spared from such cruel and unusual punishment!"

Lastly, the part with the other asshole priest, when Trevor calls him out, and people aren't even like "is that true?" like they're all so weirdly quiet, and just blindly follow Trevor's rant about how corrupt he is to the point that they immediately kill the guy. The fuck was up with that?

Wow... all those ellipsis... really... made... your... blogpost... all the more... poignant...

Your response had absolutely nothing to do with what I said and actually further proves that you're shit at articulating your opinions.

>why didn't you like it
>IT WAS SHIT WRITING
>but why
>IT WAS SHIT AND NOT SMOOTH
>yeah but explain why
>LOL IRRELEVANT

also

>being so autistic that characters acting illogically/out of emotion is a foreign concept
>being completely unaware of the well recorded concept of groupthink/witch hunts/the bystander effect

yeah i don't think this show is for you. try k-on instead.

Look, I'm not a writer, okay? I can at least tell when something's shit.

To be fair if you run at a guy with a knife pulled after he told you to stop threatening to kill a old man, you deserve to get your shit kicked in.

>YOU HAVE TO AGREE WITH EVERYTHING A CHARACTER DOES GUYS OR IT'S BAD WRITING
>EVIL AND GOOD IS BLACK AND WHITE GUYS
>WHY DID THEY IMMEDIATELY FOLLOW THE GUY WHO CAN SAVE THEIR ASSES FROM DEMONS AND SHIT INSTEAD OF THE GUY TRYING TO KILL HIM I DON'T GET IT GUYS

it just gets more retarded with every post, jesus.

>ignoring and dismissing my arguments
>excusing characters as though they're deliberately supposed to be acting crazy
That one scene wasn't "groupthink", that was the writer taking his frustrations out on the antagonist. If it was "groupthink", we would at least have heard them say ANYTHING about why they were about to impale him with a pitchfork, like when the people were burning a woman out of fear of her.

That is fair, but do whips actually do that or is it like one of those classic Belmont chain whips?

Not an argument.

Well there were 4 episodes in total as of right now. It does seem like they were on a deadline. On the other hand, it could be that they're just testing the waters to see if enough people liked the show for it to continue on to the second season. That's my guess.

isnt this the same team that did one of the shorts for dante's inferno?

Whips break the sound barrier at the end when they crack. I imagine they can take your eye out if someone was properly trained with one in a magical fantasy land like a Belmont would be.

Wait, that just sounds like a lazy excuse, I mean, you could have had more fun with it in that case.

It was the bishop who proclaimed the science stuff and medicines in her home to be "devil stuff" though. Not to mention I doubt Dracula understands much about how humans and mob mentality works seeing how the only one he's ever interacted with in a long while was his wife.
And the anti-religion stuff does turn pro-religion when the demon reveals that god is real and isn't protecting the bishop on account that he was an asshole while another priest who was a good little boy was able to make holy water.

If you didn't notice Trevor pulled some crazy shit with the Vampire Killer later on.

Ontop of that, if demons actually exist in this world wouldn't people with better educations be able to tell the difference between regular stuff and devil stuff? This is pure speculation but if Drac did understand that not every random peasant could have spoken up without also being burned, he could have been referring to nobles and the Bishop himself who would be able to tell the difference.

>it was the bishop who proclaimed the science stuff and medicines in her home to be "devil stuff" though.
Am I incorrect in thinking that the people of that time would fear "science" as "witchcraft" in the first place? Like how it was originally religiously believed that the Earth was the center of the universe? Besides that, I really don't mind whether it's anti or pro-religion.

Getting an eye clean out was some crazy shit, so, whatever, I want to see some more of the show. I feel like 4 episodes could only get them so far, especially with how they worked with that.

That's just it, people weren't educated about this. This was well before Church and State were separated, and this impeded easily upon education itself. Dracula's wife getting burned for being a scientist was realistic and historically emulative, to say the least.

It's entirely possible that Drac would have expected somebody with power to speak up, but given the kind of era/world portrayed, there was no higher authority than the church. After all, the church speaks with God, and who has a higher authority than Him?

Another thing, Drac wasn't very fond of humans in the first place, he was only going out to learn about them as a man would to humor his wife. The burning of his wife was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back, it's entirely possible that Drac didn't care at that point and just wanted to kill absolutely every motherfucker. He had probably been looking for an excuse for this for a long time.

Those 4 episodes are literally what the first movie was supposed to be.

>this was a "movie"
That's even worse!

He says himself she was the one reason he even tolerated humans.

Fair enough that the burning was realistic, but they were practically asking to be slaughtered by demons when they didn't leave after a giant flamming skull showed up and told them to piss off or die. If I saw that shit after burning a witch I'd be running for the damn hills, but they not only stayed. They celebrated the day they killed his wife.
You don't shit in the devils flower garden and respond to his death threats by mooning him.

Not really. For the first in a series of three movies it was pretty par for the course.

>Castlevania is what passes for a good show on Sup Forums

This entire board must be purged.

While I appreciate your attempt at writing softly, your bait skills are still too obvious.

What madness is this? Are people seriously pretending that an adaptation of a badly written game had any chance of being decent?

Because the priest was literally grabbing criminals and giving them frocks.

They weren't actual priests.

Did you miss the actual priest being able to bless the water?

OP needs to stop samefagging.

SAGE.

Actually, yeah, that's why I think I kind of liked when he just unleashed hell on that town. Again, Metalocalypse vibes, although not as comedically extreme.

The western animation industry needs to be saved from the ground up. Some cartoons this decade are good, so we have to work up from there.

That depends, are you talking about pre, during, or post-Iga Castlevanias?

I'm not pretending to be five people here, what do you want from me, a tripcode?

I agree, to the point that the last episode shocked me when it went God > church. Thought for sure they'd have the demon say there was no God.

The show is ten times better than Castlevania 3's ""story""

Castlevania was a video game with a focus on gameplay, well before there was time to write a huge story into a platform-adventure game. This was just practically filling in the spaces around what Castlevania 3 had.

Nah. Castlevania's big thing is that God exists. Holy magic is also a thing.

I think the more pressing question is: GRANT DANASTY WHEN

The animation was so fucking choppy
it was difficult to watch

Why in the name of FUCK would a demon ever say that there is no God? And if he did, why would you believe him? Their existence is literally predicated on the existence of the Devil, and therefore God as well.

...can you?...can you really?
...it sure doesn't seem like it....

>wastes a year to summon an army if demons to do his bidding instead of killing the humans himself

>people claim it's anti christian when one of the main fucking themes is removing corruption from the church and restoring faith to the people
Boy I wonder how they reacted to the Hunchback of Notre dame?

It was actually pretty good. and from the perspective of being something adapted from vidya, it's essentially god-tier.

the problems were some fedora-tippage, some fucked up pacing (this especially, had a real hard-on for dialog from non-characters) and exposition that went on way too long. Visually it was very on-point and the action scenes were magnificent.

that fight between alucard and trevor in particular confirmed my faith in the future of this project.

get out of here now

>Sup Forums split down the middle so far
this show must be some thing

I disagree. I didn't have any expectations and it turned out to be not so bad after all. All the characters were likable, even Dracula himself and his wife. My complaint with it could be that the Church is seen as evil, but at least they don't say that the entire faith is, like the good priest in the final episode.
It's far from perfect but it was entertaining and i gladly watch s2 when it comes.
Solid 6/10 if you ask me

>over the top anti-Christianity.

Other people have said it, but I feel like adding to the point here that there was no anti-christian element here; this bishop was OVERTLY behaving in a crassly manipulative manner, pursuing his own small, petty, parochial concerns to the detriment of his church. When the demons confront him they even make it clear that his faith is no protection from them because he doesn't have any; he's a selfish, self-serving hypocrite.

This isn't even subtext you missed. It's in the text! You have to WANT to not get it to be this wrong.

>I want to see some more of the show.

You're in luck! It's already been renewed for a second season of eight episodes.

Written by an englishman, produced by a studio in Texas.

Sure is Japanesey!

He wanted the humans to have the time to savour the crawling terror of their oncoming doom. It was an act of sadism.

He's coming. Ellis said he couldn't find a way to make a pirate character make sense in a narrative set in a landlocked nation, but that he has a plan for him down the road.

>Other people have said it, but I feel like adding to the point here that there was no anti-christian element here
It was anti-Catholic, not anti-Christian.

In that time and place in history, the two concepts were essentially interchangeable.

Just make him a bandit/thief, or an arabic assassin if he wants to spice it up.

Except Romania was and still is an Orthodox Christian country.

People use buzzwords like "fedora" to describe it, then other people who have different interpretations of that buzzword assume it's a validation of their own feelings that it was anti-Christian or whatever.

I'm Catholic as fuck and after having read through multiple of these threads I feel as though the "it's anti-Christian" fags are just projecting. The "it's good for being anti-Christian" fags are also not only projecting but being huge smug pricks about it, not that I care.

I agree with those people who say it's not so much anti-christian, but more anti-catholic/anti-church-establishment, but there were times when it was railing against it so hard that it seemed to be going a little overboard.

As for using the church as an excuse to get Drac pissed, I thought it worked well enough. It was believable and held close enough to the nearly nonexistent lore of the Castlevania games.

Oh brother, another weeabo fag.

Not a single fuck is given about your bitching.

>Warren Ellis

Well jesus christ I thought it was pretty good but now I'm fucking SOLD

There were a shitton of times that sects of the Church went against themselves and the anti-establishment one came out on top. One of my favorite film directors satirized over-the-top clergy displays but still wrote one of the greatest Catholic films of all time.

How militantly anti-religion is Warren Ellis in his other works?

You should watch a good pro-christian show, like Rage of Bahamut
The angels and gods are portrayed as fallible and flawed.
The Archangel Gabriel is a villainous character.
The archdemon Azazel is portrayed as sympathetic. As are most of the suffering demons.
Most of the humans have sworn off religion, especially their edgelord king.
Also, Heaven is filled with black, muscular men.

Very.

If you're going to attempt to samefag then at least make the same posts under 50 seconds, you retarded mongoloid.

Your taste is trash. Go back to redd1t, you fucking zombie.

We are still in the 2010-2020 decade where edgy and dark without actually being charming, impressive, intimidating, intelligent is still the norm.

And the characters are still mentally retarded and stupid as all hell.

God I'd ban you for life and only allow you to post on 2 boards: /trash/ and /mlp/

At least it wasn't anime tropes and cliches?! I guess? Why god why are we still stuck in 2010.

Could you sound any more like a faggot?

I don't get why a couple of faggots on Sup Forums keep shitting on this show.

Is it really just because the church are the bad guys? Well boo fucking hoo, you thin-skinned nancies. Get the fuck over your triggered selves already.

I just came for some kickass action and was severely disappointed, thats all i gotta say about this mediocrity

The fight between Trevor and Alucard alone was better than anything in any recent cartoons.

this

You need to watch more cartoons

Go ahead, don't be so shy. Name one.

Why didn't they go with Simon Belmont as the protagonist given he is more iconic?

>implying kids even remember Captain N

Not everything needs to be a rehash of your childhood, user. We've got more than enough of that trash already.

This is based on the 3rd game, which has Trevor Belmont and actually comes before the first in the story. Assuming the series does well, they'll probably get to Simon Belmont soon enough.

>gore
What? Blood isn't gore.