Not even meming here-is Jim Davis the richest cartoonist?

has ANYONE made more off of their comics or cartoons?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/how-much-is-the-peanuts-franchise-worth-2015-11/#1965-a-charlie-brown-christmas-the-first-peanuts-tv-special-aired-5
youtu.be/vudnMLzZjTg?t=6s
celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/authors/eiichiro-oda-net-worth/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Disney?

0.8 billion is a high bar to beat. How rich is Todd McFarlane?

300 mil

What was Shultz's net worth?

Walt Disney was worth over six times that much when he died, back when 5 billion dollars was a lot more than it is now.

unless he did some really brilliant investing I don't think he was ever ass rich
businessinsider.com/how-much-is-the-peanuts-franchise-worth-2015-11/#1965-a-charlie-brown-christmas-the-first-peanuts-tv-special-aired-5

Bill Waterson lost out in a TON of CASH

What an idiot...

wonder how much Todd would be worth if he hadn't lost that lawsuit to that hockey player

youtu.be/vudnMLzZjTg?t=6s

He had a love for his characters and the format he created them in. I understand his point of view. Doesn't look like he's poor or anything so whatever. He probably still has more money than the average Sup Forums user.

had to look that up, Holy Shit!
they could not have found an actual name for him? seems like 15 mil they pretty easily could have kept.
Image comics had that happen a lot, what Hannah Barbera sued them for the "Bedrock" character

I hope Bill lives a comfortable life and either bequeaths his IP to someone who'll look after it and never license anything or else dumps it straight into the public domain in his will.

>reminder that some nigger has actual fanart of his character drawn by jim davis himself

makes me mad every time

wait, the fat single mother comic?

>>reminder that some nigger has actual fanart of his character drawn by jim davis himself

>makes me mad every time

nah, I bet your sad miserable life is the real cause behind what makes you mad.

yes

>straight into public domain

The brutality of this is mind boggling. All those copyrights lost to the people, the freedom of people to make what they want how they want.

what did mean when he said this?

NOW WHERE COULD MY NET WORTH BE?

How rich is Oda now? Isn't Rumiko takahashi the richest woman in Japan?

Imagine what Jerry and Joe's net worth would have been if they hadn't been fucked over.

50 Mil, not even close. Which makes me wonder, fucking HOW?

celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/authors/eiichiro-oda-net-worth/

Pretty sure the dude outsells everyone three times over in the manga market, releases several movies a year, and millions of toys. I haven't seen a Garfield product in years...

Oda apparently makes around 20 million a year, so unless he does some crazy investment I doubt he can match Jim Davis
Nothing, some other generic cape would be pushed so the company wouldn't have to pay the creators

>He could probably fund a dream animation movie himself and submit it to festivals
>He doesn't

At least the guy who opened LAIKA knew what the fuck to do with his riches.

"Net worth" means nothing, since it includes the money other people and companies make with your creations. It's not cash they have in bank.
Also Peyo's Smurf are supposedly worth around 5 billion now. But source is not trustworthy (telegraph)

worth isn't earning though. Those sites don't seem to know Japanese authors keeps the copyrights of their creation. So you should include all the money of tankobon's sales, even if it doesn't benefit them directly.

First off do you know what being public domain means?

The easiest way to explain is the Happy Birthday song. That song until just a couple years ago was copyrighted, and the holders of that copyright WOULD sue ANYONE singing it when they could whether it was in a cartoon, a tv show, i think they even went after a youtuber once. For a song literally every english speaking person knows. Then it entered public domain because after something is old enough it goes there (a lot of books are public domain and it's why you can find them for free pretty often, like alice in wonderland and through the looking glass).

Throwing his IP right into public domain would mean no one company or person could have a monopoly on his creation after his death. Fans could be free to create works for calvin and hobbes and even get money from it, any random studio could make a tv show out of it, etc. No one would be able to own the original idea, only their specific ideas they make for the characters.

It would be fucking brutal considering I'm sure there's companies lying in wait to buy the IP soon as his pulse stops.

Peanuts. Schultz died so someone else is making that money but peanuts is worth more than garfield.