Is this the greatest comic ever written?

Close enough

Nah, From Hell is
(Also )

It's good but i think either Corto Maltese,
Sandman or Miller's Daredevil get the cake.

That's not Devilman

He's right you know.

there are people on this website who think superhero anything is the pinnacle of comic books

Nice taste.
But let's be real: the greatest comic ever is pic related. Nothing can even compete.

Sup Forums mostly talks abour cartoons or superhero shit. /Lit/ should discuss more graphic novels imo

I read the firs two Devilman volumes. I'm sorry to say I found it shitty. Does it get better?

I want to see the Sup Forums reactions to a Maus I&II thread

Comics are bad, watch anime instead. The best anime is better than any literature, ever. /lit/ is too filled with brainlets to even begin to understand it.

I had to read it in college during our unit on the shoah in my western civ class.

Only if your shit taste does.

Ironically this

Is there a chart or list of recommended reading for comics/graphic novels? I'm interested in it but don't want to have to dig through shitty generic weeb/superhero shit.

Alan Moore's 'Saga of the Swamp Thing'.

Moore was a fucking hack, Watchmen is way better.

I respectfully disagree.

Well then just ignore the weeb/cape shit. I don't know of any charts, but I'll post some comics - both the ones I've read and ones that I haven't but that are highly regarded and influential.

Little Nemo in Slumberland
Krazy Kat
Prince Valiant
Tarzan (particularly Burne Hogarth's)
Mœbius' work (Incal, Blueberry etc)
Corto Maltese (start with In Siberia - if you want more realistic stories, read The Ballad of the Salt Sea, Sous le signe du Capricorne and Corto toujours un peu plus loin; the other tomes are increasingly surreal; the last tome, Mû, should be read last, but the reading order doesn't matter much otherwise)
Osamu Tezuka
Keiji Nakazawa - Barefoot Gen (influenced Spiegelman a lot)
Will Eisner - A Contract with God
Sergio Toppi - Sharaz-de
Hayao Miyazaki - Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Alan Moore - Watchmen (he did a shitton of stuff but this one is indisputably his masterpiece)
Art Spiegelman - Maus (might seem boring at first glance, but it's executed masterfully)
Jiro Taniguchi's work
Chris Ware - Jimmy Corrigan
Marjane Satrapi - Persepolis
David Mazzucchielli - Asterios Polyp

There are also some highly regarded works that I find very overrated - Gaiman's Sandman, anything by Frank Miller, Charles Burns' Black Hole and Dylan Horrocks' Hicksville
You should still read them and come to your own conclusions, but I have to shove my opinions in the list somehow.

Also, Transmetropilitan is pure reddit garbage. Don't touch it with a ten foot pole.

I digged the first volume but the second sucked ass, should I go on with this?

Yes. I also disliked the second volume but the rest was worth it. The art change was jarring.

The Maxx is great

Read more manga.

No
It could potentially be the greatest "super hero" comic ever written if it wasn't beat out by Denny O'Neil's Question run

Damnit mod, if we wanted to hang out on a bad board like Sup Forums we'de go there ourselves.

>Transmetropilitan is pure reddit garbage

holy fuck this. Tempted to do a story-time just so the uninitiated can see how terrible it really is.

It gets better when Constantine makes an appearance.

most manga is shit. the artwork of most manga artists doesn't even being to approach decent web-comics.

There's some very notable exceptions, and when Manga is good, it can be exceptionally good, obviously, but most manga suffers from the same trope-repetition problem as capeshit riddled comics.

Same shit different medium

Probably the best capeshit comic ever

not hardly

Then recommend some good manga. The only one I've read is Planates. Even though it had some manga cliche, I enjoyed it.

Go read the entire berserk sequence.

What would you say is better?

Denny O'Neil's Question
Frank Miller's Daredevil
Hellboy

I don't know if I'm happy that the mod didn't just delete the thread or am pissed off because it was moved to fucking Sup Forums

Why did you put Hellboy behind a spoiler, but not Daredevil?

Nah, its fine. You are just out of your edgy teenager phase.

Devilman is like Hellsing: how much you enjoy it is a litmus test for your emotional maturity.

because Hellboy is debatably a cape comic, while Daredevil is definitely a cape comic

Not even close.

you ever notice how /lit/poster rhymes with shitposter

Finding the greatest [X] is fruitless because the works within a medium are so wide ranging it's impossible for somebody to read them all, personal bias hinders objectivity and taste is entirely subjective, so there will be no chance of a universally agreed best. However it is possible to compile a selection of 'classics', in which Watchmen would definitely be included.

Read more comics you fucking losers

Jesus I hate this board.

True. But, if you are finding western media trash, taking anime/manga for a spin isnt a bad idea.

Is most of it trope trash? Sure. But its likely a different set of tropes than you are used to, so it will seem fresh for at least a year or two.

I did the same when western scifi got too stale for me. By the time I blew through the best scifi anime had for me, western scifi had time to get new material.

Get the hell outta here you fucking sensible adult

you sound like a newfag actual faggot with a blog.

>I just want that rare, non-cape, title that I can say I read to sound official when I speak on comics in my blog posts.

It's like the faggots on /lit/ asking for non-meme classics so they can sound well-read.

this thread was moved here from /lit/

Here's a decent starter.

I sure hope you're not implying that an emotionally mature person is unable to enjoy silliness and exploitation. Helping and Devilman are fun in a similar fashion to the Friday the 13th films.

Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck still exists user

>Reasonable list that acknowledges the perpetual back and forth of influence between West and East.

I like you.

Best cape comic yes. Best comic period no.

Coming back to a medium doesn't make it fresh, not for me at least. really break-though works are once in a decade in any medium, and I'm not ticking through the decades that quickly. there's tons of stuff to catch up on once you find a new medium, but once you're through that, it's blown.

I gave up sci-fi a few years ago as well, and outside of one really exceptional series of Chinese novels and the occasional guilty reread of John Ringo, most recent stuff is just as shit and predictable as it was when I stopped reading it.

>/lit/ hates comic threads

sounds about right.

Funny thing is back in school I was your typical anti-hot topic, I don't fuck with emo fags, type of person. And I attributed much of that resentment towards the things they liked, like Helsing. Because while I was a casual weeb who still loves shit like DBZ, they were the snobs that were too good for Toonami shows (even if Helsing ended up there) because they thought Helsing wasn't mainstream or something.

Either way, to shorten my life story here, it was one of the anime I eventually sat down an watched when they did the ultimate version and I have to say I found it incredibly fun. Even made me read the manga.

Generally not my cup of tea but it was enjoyable.

How petty can a board be?

No, Reid Fleming, World's Toughest Milkman is.

It was moved by a mod, not users, you idiots

Hello, me.

The movie was better, sans the awful sex scene in the hovercar/tank whatever owlman called that flying machine.
It makes way more sense to tie the large existential threat into Dr Manhattan, it made him leaving in the end seem all the more tragic.

Giant squid-monster is dumb, the amount of resources needed to genetically engineer a creature like that from nothing are so enormous that no way could he have kept it hidden.

but neither end really wraps up the problem of the USSR/US being about one loud fart away from launching nukes. Sure they'll unite against the threat of Dr Manhattan....for about a decade. Then some ambassador will sneeze on the president or something and everyone will be right back at square one with nukes pointed at each other.

To be fair, while Hellsing Ultimate is still absurdly edgy its still just flat out better than the earlier Hellsing show.

that's the point

but the movie ending just makes it more likely for the world to blame America

You didn't open the image.

No, that's Cerebus the Aardvark.

Thats why the first city to get annihilated was NY. By the time other places were getting exploded, news of the attack on NY would already have spread enough to minimize risk of assuming the americans were behind it.

Oh I didn't mean to say it wasn't edgy but I didn't feel that to be the enjoyable part.

Honestly it's as simple as Police Girl being fucking sexy, Irish guy being a murderous Irish Catholic, and Alucard generally oozing steez. That scene of him and that long haired Valentine brother was edgy as fuck but it was also pretty damn entertaining. The pacing of Alucard's levels of unlocking, and then him on the boat, when that mother fucker shows up for the big battle it's boner enducing. It's epic as all fucking hell and I fucking DESPISE the word epic.

There are many single moments in it which were glorious. I can't really say if the OG anime was good because I never saw it and heard it diverted hard like most concurrent manga-adaptations, but ultimate was really fun.

I have be rused into a snafu