RIP Sonic comics at Archie.

F

Sega finally announced it themselves

IT'S CHAOS
THE GOD OF DESTRUCTION
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

question is, does lot care?

Good thing we still have Lara Su Chronicles

Time for Boom or IDW to pick up the license.

Blame One Piece for increasing sales of Japanese comics while comics in every other country were getting killed by the internet.

If you thought it was cringy and autistic before, just wait for SHUIESHA PRESENTS HEDGEHOG NO SONIC.

Can't wait for the inevitable Penders psuedo self congratulatory tweet for killing Archie Sonic. Hopefully he tries to beg Sega to pick up his shit and gets laughed at.

>Sonic's amazing fans
This made me laugh harder than I should have.

Welp, that's it. Let's get started on planning the final Ride.

>memorable storytelling

F
I'll miss their portrayal of Eggman. That was about the one thing they did really, really right throughout the years.

>Sonic's exceptional fans

All those years.

All those characters.

For what?

traumatic experiences do have a way of staying fresh in one's mind

>This does not mark the end of Sonic in comics
What did they mean by this?

Only bright side to this tragedy.

There's absolutely no excuses that can be made to delay it.

Probably to start fresh with canonical characters instead of literally who's from the 90s

>There's absolutely no excuses that can be made to delay it.
Well, we could see if they go with the slim chance of continuing the continuity under a new publisher before pulling the trigger.

Saying going a different direction with the series kinda implies differently, but it's possible.

it's about fucking time. God those were embarrassing

That they're going to partner with a different comic company at some point and do a reboot

DC publishing Sonic when?

I hope Ken gets the rights. He's the only one who can do the series and characters justice

New publisher, new book, most likely.

The statement in full resolution.

I can see SEGA bringing the license to a different publisher, though I can't say if they'd want to start fresh or find a way to republish old comics somehow. Maybe even negotiate with Ken Penders to get the rights to all the characters that aren't technically his.

Maybe just go full Don Rosa and condense the entirety of the past Sonic comics into a twelve-issue story.

That sucks for me. I had a Sonic comic I got from WalMart when I was a teenager and I really liked it, but never found more.

When I was in college I found a huge torrent with all the comics up to maybe 170. It was the summer before my second year and I had a lot of time so I spent the next few days and nights reading it non-stop on my shitty chinese tablet that ran like Android 2.1, while marathoning Reboot.

Good times.

I'm glad they had the decency to give fans some closure instead of letting it linger. Sonic Boom comic when.

Not a Sonic or Archiefag, how did this come about?

>Sonic racing Flash, Road Runner, and Speedy Gonzales

I want it

PENDERS!

All the other comic plebs can't even make a properly immersive app

Ken Penders sued Sega over his Donut Steels.

Archie Sonic died as it lived: with autists obsessing over their original the characters

Knew it was coming but the pit in my stomach still opened up anyway. Farewell, old friend.

ken penders sued and then convinced his friend to sue

I hope the diaperfurs commit mass suicide.

So when is the ride starting

You know, OC starts to lose meaning when you try applying it to officially made products.

Deal with it cucks.

When the new comics are announced.
There's no reason to be sad. Archie has made one garbage decision after another with the comics & even if they continued, that shit was just gonna continue. It was a long time coming SEGA took the license away & if they bring the comic crew on board (which they likely will, as they've done other official Sonic related shit lately), there's nothing to be sad about.

Lawuits making the comics out to be a legal liability, and I suppose even sales and waning interest.

First lawsuit involved an old (and shitty) creator called Ken Penders claiming that SEGA stole his ideas about an ancient Echidna race from a different dimension. In the first place this guy brought down the comic with his Echidna OCs and just mishandling of plenty of aspects of the comics, but that and him being able to "claim" certain characters as him (including an Evil version of Sonic that was already developed past what Ken had even written him as), forcing thte comics to reboot and remove an characters they didn't officially own straight from the games or cartoons.

Then apparently there was a second lawsuit but it was much more recent and also probably about something stupid, but I think the lawyers were smarter this time around.

Either way, all of these things and Archie's own incompetence (if you can remember that kickstarter they tried to pull) lead to the comics being delayed a lot, comics like the Boom one and the Mega Man one being straight up canceled or on "hiatus", and now this.

Yeah, we were planning a Ride during Sonic Mania's release, but I think it's time for a early side.

God... The Sonic comics were all over the place, but they're still a really fond memory.

It was a good run, lads. Let's just hope for the best now and wait until someone storytimes all 300+ issues.

youtube.com/watch?v=BeZytFpIQDY

F

IDW Sonic comics?

why not now on it's death day

so archie's officially dead now right?
the new comics all failed, and sonics gone

New official characters are no different conceptually from unofficial OCs. The primary difference is money. If you throw enough money at an OC, it becomes official.

Really hope Ian Flynn will follow Sonic.

Isn't he one of the writers for Sonic Forces?

They aren't going to mess with Ken or the old-old continuity stuff. Especially if the legal messes are the cause of this split and I doubt the new publisher will bother either.

>tfw you will never be as pathetic as Ken Penders

with the rumors that Flynn is somehow involved with Forces (as a script doctor) and Hesse's work on Mania, there's a decent chance he will.

Think that was a rumor that went around, no idea if true

I WON HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Hopefully (though very unlikely) Sega will keep the SATAM cast along with Lynx NICOLE. If all we get from a new Sonic comic is just Sonic games in comic form I will be very pissed.

RIP in peace.

You know not the hell that awaits you, Sup Forums. Have fun with Jay Fosgitt drawing Sonic.

>you will never have the talents of Ian Flynn and Tracey Yardley work on Sonic Comics together ever again

Because when the new comics are announced, it would make for a nice lead-in.

He's been doing some shit with Sonic lately outside of the comics, so he probably will.

>Will never have another job in the comic industry
>Will never release TLSC
>Won

I couldn't find this amazing app on the google store.

>jerk everyone around for months just to shit out three sentences

Archie and SEGA should be hanged.

>Mighty finally finds his sister after a decade
>Retconned just one arc later

So it's probably going to be IDW or Dark Horse that picks Sonic up, right?

how does he actually look worse without the pedo stash

>it would make for a nice lead-in.
it has nothing to do with the old ones though

Archie Sonic had been off the rails for a long time, then when Sega finally checked in on things and found it to be a mess that didn't jive with their vision of the series at all they implemented a bunch of mandates.
Ken Penders, ex-head writer, began working on a comic series using characters that he created for Archie Sonic, and are clearly derivative of Sega's IP.
Archie filed a C&D against him, and ended up going to court. Where it was found that the original contracts he signed, which stated every character and story he wrote for Archie belonged solely to Sega, had been lost in an office fire some years back, and the court would not accept the photocopied version they presented.
As Archie are just the comic license holder, they couldn't really do anything to him after that. Sega would need to step in and sue him themselves over the derivitiveness, but they didn'ty want to deal with it unless Archie paid the legal fees, and they were already strapped for cash. so a settlement was reached where Penders now owned all the OCs he made, and Archie rebooted the continuity to remove them so they wouldn't have to pay him royalties.
Then Penders started convincing his other ex-writer friends to sue Archie/Sega. At this point Sega had enough of this shit and just pulled the comic license from Archie.

So does this mean we're never getting a TPB of this if SEGA shunts to a new publisher?

>sega cancels partnership with archie
>somehow thinks reprints are possible
just how fucking stupid is he

Will Penders ever answer for what he's done, you guys think?

We'll never get another issue, much less a TPB.

Sonic boom comics are good. I just hate idea pended rubbing his hands think the comics needed him.

On that note. Amy update on Mary su is it still a thing or is it dead?

Yeah, but it would make for a nice lead-in for the return of the comics.

Heese has said before that he's looking at ways to release Overdrive. He may just leak it.

It means that they're lying. SEGA hates Sonic rejects the idea of the characters being used in stories. The closest thing they'd do to a comic is some short dialogueless newspaper comics with nobody but Sonic to push toys.

The death of the comic means you will never see a character created after Amy ever again.

His shit flopping (which will happen) is as close as he will get to paying for what he has done. That and probably being black listed from the industry with any luck.

D I V A I S I N O U S

He truly believes that he's the original creator and rightful owner of Knuckles

>marks his echydna art as copyright and trademark Ken Penders 1993
>Knuckles the Echidna's first appearance: 1994

It wouldn't surprise if Sega forbids the use of any SATAM or Archie comics characters in any new comics.

uck you Ken!

>Waaah, a Japanese manga sells better than muh dying blue rodent series. It must be them Japs at fault and not our shitty fanbase.

That's not entirely true. The lawsuit was about Sonic Chronicles being very similar to his stupid Knuckles comics, he was the one who sued. But everything else is right.

>quads

He'll die in complete obscurity. That's really the most we could ask for, considering the size of his ego.

I don't think any other company will hire him after the shit he's done.

God he's like the Andrew Dobson of Sonic.

>Sega goes with a new partner.
>Ian comes back.
>Tyson does more Sonic comics.

Maybe it wont be so bad.

To think, the death of Archie Sonic was Bioware shitting out a game they didn't want to make but were contractually obligated to.

Welp. The hammer has finally fallen.

No! God DAMN IT! Another waifu bites the dust.

twitter.com/IanFlynnBKC/status/887816725844066304
>what does this mean for you & everyone else who works on the comic
>I'll have more to say towards the weekend
Make of that what you will, I guess

wait so the man who made shitty ripoffs was upset over shitty ripoffs?

>Untalented cut-rate Looney Tunes hack who can't even draw love hearts correctly

Oh, it's coming along.

Its for the best, the cast was getting bloated.
How many different Knuckles were there again?

THIS JUST PUT ME IN A FUCKING GOOD MOOD

YEEEEEEEAH SON HAHAHAHA

if I were to develop terminal cancer and he's still alive he'd be near the top of the list of people I'd murder before I die

None, they were all removed in the reboot.