Shall we have an old fashioned X-men/Cyclops was right/The original 5 suck thread?

Shall we have an old fashioned X-men/Cyclops was right/The original 5 suck thread?

Also I'd totally given up on buying comic books, but I've got an itch to collect some X-Men. What should I pick up to get the best of modern X-Men from Morrison onwards?

>New X-Men by Morrison
>Astonishing X-Men by Whedon
>Wolverine vs the X-Men by Aaron
>Uncanny X-Force by Remender
>Prelude to Schism by Jenkins
>Schism by Aaron
>Uncanny X-Men by Gillen
>Avengers vs X-Men by Cancerverse

And what older shit should I get? I'm looking at picking up
>Wolverine by Miller
>God Loves, Man Kills by Claremont
>Mutant Massacre by Claremont
>The Dark Phoenix Saga by C
>Days of Future Past by C
>Wolverine versus the Hellfire Club by C

bump

You're now a non-mutant serving as an intern on Utopia
What is your life like?
Who do you become friends with?
Based on your real life skills, what are your duties?

It's alright. I jerk off to Emma almost every day. I think she knows. She keeps winking at me every time I walk by her. I don't think Cyclops knows. Namor keeps winking at me also for some reason.

No. Enjoy your fanatical Cyke who decided to leave humans behind and give up on the dream.

But anything Morrison to pre Morrison. Post Morrison xmen comics are deconstruction comics.

Why? Anyone with any type of basic critical thinking skills know it was nothing more than a man-child basing all his actions of emotions and hurt feelings. He was a bitch, always has been a bitch and will forever be cemented in X-History as a childish bitch.

As someone who dislikes Ellis but loves Emma, tits and ass. Is this any good?

I miss Utopia

It's pretty classic Ellis. I liked his run but that's not going to be the issue that wins you over.

Goddamn I like Armor

>Astonishing X-Men by Whedon
>Uncanny X-Men by Gillen
Not a fan, but most enjoy them fine.

>Wolverine vs the X-Men by Aaron
>Prelude to Schism by Jenkins
>Schism by Aaron
>Avengers vs X-Men by Cancerverse
These are just garbage

You really can't go wrong with the old Claremont stuff.
Be sure to give New Mutants a look.

Buying omni atm. Probably Uncanny X-Men Omnibus 3 first. First one is getting reprinted in December.

Id hold off. I hear they have a lot of issues with the binding. Though I got a couple that seem to be holding up fine

It was certainly a more interesting setup than everyone hating each other for no real reason, aping Claremont for the billionth time, and the fucking O5.

Plus they fought vampires once. That was kind of cool.

Seeing Dracula Jr show up to see a team of Colossus, Rockslide, Dust, Mercury and Armor was hype. Team Thick skin should come back

Really? Weaaaaaak.

I mean I have a couple myself that seem to be holding up fine but it really seems like there's some QC issues.

I have the Uncanny X-Force one and it's pretty ballin'. Only Marvel one I have tho.

What really bothered me was the AvX fallout.

Everyone who had decided to stay on Utopia either joins Scott in the middle of nowhere, scatters to the winds, or (in the case of all the kids) goes to the JGS without complaint despite how pointless the school seemed to them.
Utopia might as well be non-canon.
The island is completely abandoned until Bendis decides to make a random group use it as a base while they're being retarded villains for a single fucking issue.

I was more bothered by Schism which frankly came too little too late. It was basically there that cemented that the Xkids would never be seen as proper x-men despite all they went through.

they fought in Messiah war, battled nimrod, watched their friends die by the dozen and even went to ACTUAL hell. They couldn't be kids even if they wanted too.

And yet somehow this counts less than Kitty having one solo Christmas adventure

And now they're all just students, with some not even appearing as that these days.

Rockslide and Anole will occasionally get to say/do something, but they're still treated like kids.
Even Pixie, who served in full-on X-Men teams.

All shitty chatacters. If you like any character made before 93, you're also doomed.

Most creators hate new characters or want to work on the famous ones.

You're a shitty character

Cyclops wasn't right, he was gonna kill Earth for being stubborn with Hope. And in the end destroyed everything and killed plenty anyways.

Go back to New Attilan, Beast.

Yes, that is well worth collecting.

sploding babies

Depends. Does zany stuff like this interest you?

>Iceman made an ice body of consecrated water blessed by a priest
>any of the Vampires that touch him or his ice constructs are instantly purged

>Cyclops does this exact thing
>is literally Hitler now

>use the Inhumans to undermine the X-Men because you don't own the X-Men movie rights
>still pander to the X-Men movies with shit like Old Man Logan, O5, and and Apocalypse event
I don not understand.

Yes... I rather loved the exploding babies.

And Ellis' Emma Frost is deliciously wicked.

I kind of wish Ellis was the main X-men writer.

I really wish there where more instances of the X-men being called out on their whining for acceptance their they're all powerful sex gods who live in a mansion

Same here. I genuinely loved his Astonishing X-Men run.

How do I read Schism? I just read the prelude, but it didn't really say what happened or anything. Someone attacked the UN (I think it was Quentin at some point, but fuck knows when)?

Yeah, that whole arc was one big satire directed at the X-Men.

The trick was not making the X-Men look like morons, but instead, completely oblivious to their own privileges.

hell I even kind of liked that one story Way wrote that was just the X-men in Japan punching monsters. Astonishing was a good book.

>How do I read Schism?
By placing the book/folder in the recycle bin and reading something else.

Oh it fuccin happened in Schism 1. So prelude to Schism is actually... about something that happens after the first ?

I just wish the art was better. Or at least more consistent

Good stuff there. I loved Hisako. So cute and spunky in a nerdy kind of way.

See I loved Simone Bianchi's art. He is an Italian artist who lives in Lucca, Italy.

In addition to drawing comics, he teaches art anatomy classes. His work is very Hellenistic.

Hellenistic art is all about realism filtered through dynamic, expressive figure drawing. It's definitely a style where dynamic aesthetics trump all else.

She's like Kitty but Japanese and without the self serving moral high horse

Recommended Armor?

bit more "Hands on" too

Astonishing starting with Whedon's run and pretty much all the way through till a team reshuffle near the end.

Outside of that there's the X-men anime where she plays a big role. It was a pretty solid watch I think ellis wrote the script for it.

Id also recommend Wolverine and the X-men Alpha and Omega a short mini featuring her Wolvie and Quire.

After that her appearances fan out and become a lot more sporadic like most of the other X-kids. She had some stuff during the Death of Wolverine.

She's going to be joining Cable's team soon. I really hope this ends up being good because this line up? Wonderful.

She and Wolverine meshed so well.

I especially loved Phil Jimenez drawing Hisako.

DAILY REMINDER
>Cyclops is an emotional wreck who can't actually function
>Cheated/left multiple wives/lovers
>Kicked Professor X out of the leadership of the X-Men, only to accept Magneto as his Consigliere
>Created a kill squad to preemptively stop mutant threats that was directly responsible for creating multiple attacks/threats to Mutantkind during the Utopia era
>Created a second Genosha via public spat with the head of HAMMER, creating a target for mutant-haters everywhere
>Okayed/ordered emotionally traumatized/unwell teenagers killing his opponents
>decided to okay Child Soldiers in the X-Men, despite capable adults being there to do their job
>Trained Hope for the Phoenix via physical abuse
>Started a war with the Avengers because muh phoenix
>As Phoenix, refused to restart the mutant gene and created a palace for himself, went Dark Phoenix, and killed Professor X
>Decided to further imperil mutants via nervous breakdown disguised as "militant revolution", dragged teenagers and college aged kids into said revolution, barely trained them, then dumped them onto the other X-Men
>did more to set back human-mutant relations than anyone since Magneto, who is now one of his closest allies

I seriously think he was more wrong than not. Jesus, he tried to Weaponize MATTHEW MALLOY and only got saved by a time traveller who called him out on his idiocy

we need more trucker hat and stubble Cyclops

It was a good fit

>we'll never get an Iceman/Dazzler vampire hunters book

I remember this. Trucker X-Men was a ride.

Bianchi and other artists of the messiah era were what really sold me on reading Marvel. It wasn't great, but they were really aesthetic to read sometimes.

That Quentin Quire and Wolverine mini, can't remember the name, has wolvie and hisako as important characters.

>I seriously think he was more wrong than not. Jesus, he tried to Weaponize MATTHEW MALLOY and only got saved by a time traveller who called him out on his idiocy

>TFW if nothing else Death of Wolverine got us a decent Hellion moment of him not being an asshole

Yeah, those outfits were my favorite.

>Cable and a bunch of cool time-displaced randos
I'd be pretty hype if the creative team was stronger.

I just love X-uniforms in general

That's mostly just the general mishandling of the X-Men for the last 6+ years, which I think the "Rightclops" stuff is a response to.

Considering how Emma looks here, I think I'd rather be sleeping with Logan...in animal skins.

Not a fan of those outfits in general, but I totally love the whole team unity via matching outfits. I kind of wish those had stayed longer.

One of the reasons I loved Morrison/Quitely New X-Men was for doing the matching uniforms.

Dear god, none of the modern stuff has this much life or vitality.

The Wells/Diogenes New Mutants uniforms might be my favorites.

I just want her back to this version. Performing telepathic surgery on mutant killing bio-weapons and cracking black humor all the while.

Those were awesome. It was a perfect blend of modern and retro. Wells is highly underrated.

newfag here
why are muties have the whole 'oppressed minority' angle on them when most of them are attractive, charismatic people and there are a bunch of heroes who already exist and most people love them?

I want Robot Chicken to die so maybe he'll come back to us.

Humans hate and fear them because they don't want to be replaced, and the idea of some teenager suddenly getting the powers to melt bones or whatever is terrifying.

Read Ellis run. He had a villain named Kaga who basically had a bee up his but about exactly that.

To answer your question for real though you have to keep in mind. It's supposed to be a metaphor for puberty and finding your place in the world just as much as it is the whole racism thing. A lot of people forget that.

Also, also it was mostly just pretense to give them a vague goal and reason to be heroic. Sort of like their "With great power comes great responsibility" the mutant hate was NEVER meant to get this much focus or get this bad. The dream was never a narrative goal it was just a reason to fight for right.

What turned him from a chad asshole into an emo asshole, really? I know he got handblasted by Nimrod, but he got the different haircut before that, and he didn't get whingy until his second appearance in that X-23 comic where he got dumped by an autist seconds after reaching first base.

What happened to the rest of the New X-Men really? Half of them died, then a few got depowered, what happened to the rest?

The X-Men were created in September of 1963. The 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s were rife with racism, racial equality movements, homophobia, and radicalism.

The metaphor is poorly executed, but that's the angle for X-Men.

>T. Medusa

He wrote the awesome Titan Maximum. Even my dad loved that show, and he hates cartoons.

This art is weird

Wallpaper at the school, if that.
Plenty were forgotten entirely.

After AvX, Loa didn't return to the school because Cullen Bunn was trying to get a Heroes for Hire book featuring her off the ground.
It ended up not happening and she hasn't been seen since.

Yes, it is, and I LOVE it.

>>Astonishing X-Men by Whedon
>>Uncanny X-Force by Remender
>>Uncanny X-Men by Gillen

These would be my recommendations, and Remender > Whedon > Gillen

>And what older shit should I get? I'm looking at picking up
>>Wolverine by Miller
>>God Loves, Man Kills by Claremont
>>Mutant Massacre by Claremont
>>Days of Future Past by C

Add in Brood Saga and The Demon Bear Saga (New Muntants) by Claremont and you have a go

Another reason I wish Robot Chicken was gone.
TM was superior.

There is A TON of sex talk in it. So if you like that, yes.

That does not look like Japanese

Later prints had her talking in english with the whole < > translation thing going on. I don't know how well written the original is but I feel like not knowing what they're saying is a million times funnier

What's everyone's big issues with Schism? I have some of my own.

I really loved the way he used Emma's sex appeal to make Scott a bit uncomfortable.

Core concept

All hero vs. hero stories are inherently retarded, and any writer who has Scott and Logan hating each other's guts has no idea what they're doing.

Ellis was good for Scott and Emma.

Bianchi is one of my fav comic artists actually. I love his page compositions. Like it far better than weird art

Scott keeps distracting Logan with beer.

He could have ended the Schism this way.

Yeah, like I read prelude to Schism first and it really comes across like Logan agrees with what Scott is saying and respects him thoroughly. Then in this Logan just goes apeshit because some macguffin character with no social skills thinks it's ok to be a killer. I felt the fighting came out of nowhere. Logan was written like such a retard and I've liked a few Aaron Wolverine stories.

Prelude to Schism was enough of a clusterfuck Marvel had to come out and say "actually it's completely unrelated" before Schism proper began coming out

Why must you post an edit?

Man I really wish Hellion was more used. I always felt the character could do great thing. I think he feels a niche that isn't very present in the rest of the X-Men.

Because originllay in the claremont years the "hated and feared" part was a stand in for homosexuals and very rooted in the US 80s.

Then morrison happened,, who looked at these "hated and feared" "mutants", saw them as perfectly normal people, and boldly declared "these guys are the mutant 1%. almost all mutants are just deformed freaks or have irrelevant powers" which Marvel didn't like and pulled Age of M to solve it.

After Age of M sweeped that aside and they doubled into the oppressed minority idea people began to draw paralels to race issues.

More realistically, they would be hated and feared because you never know when the mutant next to you may spontaneously explode and take a city block with him.