Storytime of Navel Gazing 1: Change

How about we read something other than the Luna bros and Millar this weekend? How about we read one of the most pretentious, self-indulgent comic authors on the planet: Ales Kot.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/o9gK2fOq4MY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I wouldn't say I "hate-read" Kot's comics, but I definitely roll my eyes more often than I would during a comic I "enjoy."

bump

I was starting to feel lonely. Thank you.

>Kot
user, please. Some things are just too cruel, even for this weekend.

this city deserves a better class of criminal

Bump

There are a lot of bad comic writers and there's certainly worse comic writers but there's no writer I hate more than Kot. He writes mediocre drivel and acts like that makes him the new Grant Morrison or Alan Moore. Like misquoting your professor from a Philosophy 101 class at your community college is some profound revelation that elevates shitty cape comics to high art. He thinks naming a planet after an avant-garde musician makes a comic avant-garde.

There are worse writers than Ales Kot, but I don't think there's any writer as pretentious or narcissistic as Ales Kot.

His "I'm done with comics, you people didn't appreciate me" essay he wrote last year kind of sealed the deal for me.

Are you going to storytime some Gillen too?

Independently of this, I have considered a Wic+Div storytime. I've never read any of his other comics.

I've also considered going "full-Kot" this weekend.

Zero tomorrow and Material/Wolf on Saturday? I'm open to suggestions though.

So he's one of those "here's a literary and modernist pop culture reference, now the book is deep" kind of writer? I can stomach those kind of writers honestly if they have self awareness about them.
>His "I'm done with comics, you people didn't appreciate me" essay he wrote last year kind of sealed the deal for me.
Link?

>Wic+Div
That's the one that I think is annoyingly hipsterish. I don't know why Gillen thinks of himself as the next Gaiman. Not that Gaiman is great, most of his stuff his YA tier, especially his prose.

The Surface is a "sequel" to this book and he definitely shows some self-awareness for how up-his-own-ass Change is. Material and Zero are really pretentious though. Zero starts off as a spy mystery and ends as mushroom trip with Allen Ginsberg and Material is just notes from his college philosophy classes.

as for that link, I'm looking.

Wic+Div is very well executed and "well mannered" in so far as how it's constructed. Very deliberate paneling and pacing, etc.

BUT, the dialogue is steeped in "tumblr speak."

>Zero starts off as a spy mystery and ends as mushroom trip with Allen Ginsberg
Sounds kind of intriguing desu.

It's ~18 issues and there's a strong possibility I'll run it tomorrow.

>Zero starts off as a spy mystery and ends as mushroom trip with Allen Ginsberg

Isn't there a whole issue or arc that's just Kot going on about William Burroughs?

I haven't re-read it, but yes. That's either Zero or Material. I believe it's Zero.

(why not start music-cues three issues and nine pages too late)
youtu.be/o9gK2fOq4MY