Doctor Doom is getting a solo movie developed by Noah Hawley from Legion

variety.com/2017/film/news/doctor-doom-1202502084/

Other urls found in this thread:

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-06.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Oh god please don't let this be complete shit.

n-no NO MARVEL GOT THE RIGHTS BACK!!

fuck.. we were supposed to get the rights...

Dammit Fox. You make it so hard to love you sometimes.

speaking of Legion

Will it be good?

Rally, at this point they should just pretend the FF are mutants and add them to the X-men.

It's the only way we MIGHT get something good at this point.

Guess Doom is going back to being a villain in the comics again. I wonder if they'll have him eat a baby this time.

How do they plan to make a movie about the baddest bad? Will it be like Megamind where the villain has a change of heart? which would never happen because Doom is always right

What they need to do is give up and realize they've tainted FF for moviegoers for years.

Then just stick to X-Men and Planet of the Apes.

I mean, the man did Fargo and Legion, none of which had the right to be as good as they are.

I have faith in him, but I know Fox will Fox it up somehow.

Sony and Fox should team up and combine their Marvel rights into a rival MCU starring Spider-Man, the FF, and the X-Men.

At this point I'm content with Disney and Marvel getting salty and pissy to the point that they tank their own comics division.
I'd rather Marvel Comics just stop existing than have them constantly shitting on and destroying characters people have loved for decades.

>Doom is always right
One of the reasons i love being a Doomfag

>Marvel's IPs will forever be separated.
Delicious.

>Been reading Infamous Iron-Man.
>Everyone is throwing a fit because Doom wants to be good.

Hes a better Iron-man then Iron Heart. Holy shit.

>>Everyone is throwing a fit because Doom wants to be good.

Are you implying Doom was ever anything but?

>Marvel getting salty and pissy to the point that they tank their own comics division.
They're already doing that.

>Everyone is just ganging up on marvel now

pls get it right this time, Fox

Doom deserves it

Please be a Doom solo flick. Please please please.

So, I guess this guy knows his Comics 101? Could it be something good? Doom against another villain, maybe?

>it's true
HOLY
FUCKING
SHIT

Cautiously optimistic.

I was originally salty that Doom beat Vader but after figuring out that Doom is always right and the one true ruler of Earth I realized that Vader should be should have been honored to lose to Doom

i want a Doom 2099 movie.

Fox has the rights to Kang. I would kill for a Kang v Doom movie. Explore Dooms past, possibly using time travel either via Kang or time platform.

Let me guess... the whole movie will be about his trek to Tibet, training, yadda yadda, he faces Mephisto in his yearly duel, loses, in the end controls the monastery, and the end scene will be he donning the armor and becaming Doctor Doom, or showing his takeover on Latveria.
Booring.

Yes, but they aren't doing it intentionally. They actually, sincerly believe that their comics are better than ever.

I mean Perlmutter getting so butt blasted that he demands all Spider-Man and X-Men related titles be stopped just to try and get his movie rights back.
Between all the characters Sony has with Spider-Man, and the pletora of characters tethered to the FF and X-Men licenses over at Fox, the two coming to a series of deals for a shared cinematic universe would probably cause a melt-down at Disney.

>Doctor Doom is getting a solo movie

somebody PLEASE stop this "villain spin-off solo film" meme

Fox if you fuck this up just give the rights back please there's nothing more that I'd like but for Dr. Doom to be portrayed good once

God dammit. Now Marvel's gonna make Doom vanish too

>Fox if you fuck this up just give the rights back please there's nothing more that I'd like but for Dr. Doom to be portrayed good once

Not like Marvel will do him any justice either.
Marvel's portrayal would just be an obnoxious faggot who quips a lot.

One thing's for sure:

The costume will look bad

why do they have to be so clingy to their properties? Universal gave legendary the rights to king kong for its shared universe.

>There are rumors that Seth Grahame-Smith is working on a Fantastic Four spin-off featuring Franklin Richards, the son of Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Girl.
please just give the rights back

ALL THE RIGHTS BACK

Because they have no reason to give it up

umm because everyone WANTS them too seems like a pretty good reason

>the whole movie will be about his trek to Tibet, training, yadda yadda, he faces Mephisto in his yearly duel, loses, in the end controls the monastery
>the Doom movie actually gets the TIBETAN monastery, the ancient one and magic right, way better than Doctor FUCKING Strange
wouldn't that be interesting

So they're just gonna make another booboo-ass certified rotten film on a bargain budget only for the purpose of holding onto those movie rights

This. Doom would never be done right by Marvel Studios

How can they make this bomb harder than Fant4stic?
Do they cast Leslie Jones as Doom?

He had his days, hes a good man at heart but he was a real dick.

Mark Wahlberg as Doctor Doom and Will Ferrell as Reed

This is really good news actually. Legion was good.

>Mouseketeers: P-please give them the rights back.
>Fox: Naaahhh...
Based Fox.

So help me, at this point I kinda wanna see that.
Wahrlberg seems to be the kind of guy who wouldn't mind keeping the mask on, either.

They may as well make it R-rated in that case. Give us a real image of hell and say fuck you to China. That last part probably would never happen but no one thought Deadpool would be good until it came out so who knows.

>it's based on Fan4stic

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

>Act 1 of movie = thinks he's always right, ruling Latveria with an big metal magical fist. We get hints that something is not right with his government though and are introduced to Doom's most trusted servant who could play this role

>Doom in Act 2 of movie = Doom learns that members of his royal council are Skrulls and attempts to oust them. However, those he kills turn out to not be Skrulls and he suffers the loathing of his citizens and the international community for the executions of his advisers. He figures out that the Skrulls are planning a huge global invasion.

>Doom in Act 3 of movie = Doom figures out the the trusted servant is the Super Skrull and is leading the invasion force. Super Skrull tries to guilt trip Doom by saying how worthless of a ruler he is for murdering his own citizens. During the fight Doom then reveals that those that he had murdered were actually Doombots, and that he knew all along that the servant was a Skrull and only needed to draw out their leader. Doom kills Super Skrull and then uses an army of Doombots to fend off the invasion force.

Doom is always right.

RICHARDS!!!!

Damn right, we dont need a fucking Kraven or Mysterio movie.

I'd rather have a regular old school Marvel hell adaptation, to be honest.
And yeah, I thought of adding
>as much of a hit as Deadpool
but let's be honest, without China it wouldn't get the same numbers. Of course it might be a matter of changing a subtitle from "Tibet" to "China". I don't they give honestly give a fuck about the "old chinese master" movie trope being used, Hong Kong started it to begin with.

>MCU doesn't have rights to any of the good characters besides Thor.

Good thing I'm not an MCU fag.

RIGHTS STAY AT FOX NOW

If I could make a Doom thing, I would make it a series like House of Cards where Victor is an ambitious genius who manipulates government departments like SHIELD to achieve political power as well as getting super technology under the table, slowly building cosmic power and resources, all the while being riht in everything he says and does, until ultimately he takes over Latveria, makes his presence known to the world and becomes a legitimate superpower on Earth as well as other planets and dimensions in the Marvel Universe

Did you anons watch Legion?

This movie is going to be fucking memetastic and fucking everywhere on /co because it's Doom and it will be good, but I will put up with it because any win for Fox is a win for me.

>umm because everyone WANTS them too seems like a pretty good reason

Nah.
As far as the X-Men rights go, those are staying firmly with Fox because those films actually make money.
Of course, that may change down the line now that Jackman is retired from Wolverine, and Apocolypse was poorly received despite the money it made.

As for the Fantastic Four, Fox will keep pushing out films so long as they, at minimum, break bank.
Because Fox knows that shoving out a 155 million dollar turd that they make at least most of their money back on will all be worth it and Marvel comes to offer them a fat chunk of change for the FF rights back.

And as much as Feige likes to play coy and claim they have no plans for them and don't want them, he knows damn well that those FF rights come packaged with a lot of things they DO want.
Right now a good half of the entire cosmic Marvel brand is sitting at Fox.
Galactus and his Heralds, Skrulls, Annihilus, etc.
And if Fox ever does offer them up a reasonable deal, you can bet your ass Marvel will take it.

They could buy the RIGHTS back at anytime.

The old Asian master in the mountains is older than China as a nation. The only people saying it is racist are shills making excuses for not having a Tibetan Ancient one in Dr. Strange.

Yeeeessssssss

1 billlion (latverian) dollars!

Yes.
Marvel COULD buy them back at any time.

Disney has enough money that, if they so desired, they could buy back everything from Fox and Sony, and make back that money and more in a few short years with home brewed X-Men, FF, and Spider-Man movies. But they won't. Not as long as Perlmutter is at Marvel and has a lot of sway with the Disney executives.
Ike Perlmutter is one of the biggest money grubbing sacks of shit on the planet. Even his closest friends-Other billionaires, describe him as a notorious penny pincher. Ike Perlmutter also has a very antagonist relationship with Fox.
He'd rather cut those characters from Marvel completely to make people less interested in them so that people stop going to those movies, then admit defeat and buy the rights back.

Fox either needs to go crawling to them and offer to sell the rights back at a deal, or go long enough for the rights to lapse.

Triumph and Torment with Diablo replacing Strange.

Rumor is Ike isn't Ceo anymore.

Read Ewings stuff.
Marvel has breached into a lot of territories that it is now very easy to use the characters without any rights issues.
For example, Galactus the life bringer.

Wait, this is better than the magic bit

No.

They can't. They didn't buy the rights to the characters and stories in any combination - or even to crossovers featuring both sets.

What they bought were separate agreements permitting them to make movies featuring the characters from each agreement. Not the right to make crossovers.

It's true that Sony sold the rights to Kingpin to FOX back in 2003, but that was before Marvel Studios in its present incarnation, and there would have been little reason for Marvel to hold up production by refusing to let iconic Daredevil adversary (but Spider-Man adversary when the Spider-Man rights were originally sold) Kingpin appear in a Daredevil movie. Since Marvel only got the bulk of the money for those rights on production - as a large chunk of the production budget - FOX Daredevil contributed financially to the setting up of the MCU.

Sales are fine as of the last couple of months. Hell, they even had 50% of titles in the top 10 last month - compared to 40% for DC, three of which were I believe Batman titles.

Just because you don't like the content or know who's buying it doesn't mean it's not selling. Don't fall into conspiracy theories over comic book publishing, guys, that's just fucking pathetic. Aliens covered up by the gummint so you can explain your "abduction" which was actually just a wet dream about have butt stuff done to you? Sure, I can buy that. Your pride's at stake.

But comic books? Fuck guys, get some sense in those heads.

Okay calm down mouseshill

If it's based on Fant4stic I will not see it even if Doom is my favorite Marvel villain

>Just because you don't like the content or know who's buying it doesn't mean it's not selling

Nobody said they aren't selling.
We're saying that they aren't selling well.

No, they couldn't.

They could buy them back for the same amount FOX were willing to sell them to another company for, even if there were no other company willing to make an offer but Marvel - they'd still have to pay the asking price.

Unless FOX think they'll get a high price, they won't even offer. As it stands, the transfer of rights back to Marvel wouldn't cover even a third of what FOX lost on the last FF movie, so FOX won't sell up, because they're not desperate yet.

They're in a situation of possessing something which should have a high value right now but doesn't, and can't seem to accept that it doesn't. Sinking another $100m into a movie nobody watches or likes - that might convince them to sell. Hell for all I know there's a performance clause that says partners can't keep making underperforming movies - which would certainly explain why Sony parted with Ghost Rider so fast after that second abomination.

Right now what you're looking at with this Doom announce is probably someone who heard Abe Sapien is getting a solo movie and thinks they can drum up support for Doom while everybody's together at comicon. Protip: you can't polish a turd, but it'll get attention focused on Hawley, so he'll probably get some real work on the back of it.

It's just not likely to be a Doom solo; but then, I was sure they weren't seriously going to do the last one because they left it so late and gave it so little support. Who knows. Maybe we're supposed to suffer.

Again, just because you don't know anybody who buys them, doesn't mean they're not selling - the sales figures speak for themselves, but if you've never seen them...

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-06.html

These are some of the best years comic have had in decades, and Marvel - like it or not - has been around 40% of the whole market and 50% of the top 300 for some time.

Boo hoo, user.

Armin?

God damn it Fox. We'r-
>It's by the guy who made the Legion series
...We're Saved!

That is the worst idea ever, the FF not being mutants would be an awesome contrast to the x-men, having them being loved by the public and the mutants despised
But hey, that's just my opinion

it's just a title change

he has the EXACT same power as he has before

the only way we're going to fix the comics, fox rights, and tv/movie schism is for ike to die or for iger to descent down on high and slap ike's shit

and iger likes a smooth ship, so he's not going to do that. as long as profits are coming in, it'll be impossible to argue against ike. money > quality every time for any corporation

ike has to die, that is the only outcome

>Again, just because you don't know anybody who buys them, doesn't mean they're not selling

Not selling and not selling well are not the same thing.

I fully acknowledge that the comics sell copies. Certain individual comics even sell extremely well.
What they don't do, is sell well as a whole.

For example, look at the list you linked.
What at Marvel is actually selling massive quantities?
>Spider-Man related titles
>Star Wars titles
>(Current event that will change the Marvel Universe forever but not really)
>X-Men related titles
Those make up the bulk of Marvel's comic sales, and those are what keep Marvel afloat on the comics front. Why?
Titles like Captain Marvel, Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur, America, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Black Panther, and a plethora of other heroes sell like hot fucking garbage.
Spider-Man, Star Wars, X-Men, etc, along with the mid-tier comics like Guardians of The Galaxy? Those selling well doesn't mean the majority of their comics aren't selling poorly.
So while individual titles at Marvel may sell exceptionally well, Marvel Comics as a whole is hurting from the sheer number of comics that are sitting in cancellation numbers for months on end that Marvel refuses to discard because "Muh diversity".

Please get doom right this fucking time.

>ike has to die, that is the only outcome

Or, you know, just retire.
The man is 74 years old. How much longer can he keep doing this shit?
4? 5 years?
At some point he's going to just retire and enjoy his money hoard.

will we get Reed and Fantastic 4, so much of doom just kinda needs them :(

Sorry, I hope he falls down some stairs.

Based fox about lose more money.

Nah. Don't include Reed at all in this movie and keep Doom as a protagonist

good, fuck Marvel

t. X-Fag

The world is not ready for Doom.

a lot of Doom, needs Reed, I just want it done proper

The only acceptable person to play Doom.

It's the same thing with DC, many of the titles don't sell well and a handful sell very well. Fuck off DCshill.

Marvel wasted a great actor with him as disposable_marvel_villain#042

Marvel's villains have been good in Phase 3.

I know. So do I.
But He'll likely retire before dying.

Then again, he's one of the biggest obstacles for FF and the X-men.
And Stan Lee did say two years ago after seeing how shitty Fant4stic was that Marvel should have all of their characters and he'd "See what he can do when it gets home".

...And Stan is one of the few people who has regular contact with Ike (The other being Loeb).
The Lich is running out of suitable hosts.

>we

Better not blow the casting on this. May I suggest Goran Višnjić.

ike is one of those career working men

he'll never retire and die in his office

i can sort of respect that but he's so fucking tight on money and his ego that he is actively hurting his company

it's like having a bad sports owner, you're stuck with him until he dies. or like the clippers, hope he drops racial shit on a recording then disney can boot him out instantly

When did I ever once defend DC or even mention DC or imply anything about DC? Why are you so desperate to project?
Comics in general are doing really poorly and will continue to do poorly.

But, since you brought up DC unprovoked...
At least DC, despite being in the same boat, has a clear love for their characters and regularly celebrates them. Even the silly stuff.
That's more than can be said for Marvel right now.

> x-fags even existing after jlaw & her amazing friends
> x-fag even willing to show himself while muh dark phoenix is being film

So, on the off chance this bombs, what happens next? Do they keep trying? Do we get Silver Surfer instead?

Exactly, which is why they should do what DC does and bring him over from one comic book movie and in to another.

That's actually not a bad choice either.

Does this count as Fox using the F4? Will this let them keep all the rights or only the Doctor Doom rights? I thought it had to be a F4 movie in production every 7 years or the rights go back.

they'll probably try silver surfer/galactus cosmic shit to try and capture guardians magic yes, or just try F4 again (traditionally, not with some hack trank deconstructionist take)

either way, if doom fails or succeeds it rests the rights clock for another 7 years

Noah has a development deal with fox, he is doing legion.