Since Volume 2 was announced, I want to talk about it, I didn't realize a lot of people hated Volume 1

Since Volume 2 was announced, I want to talk about it, I didn't realize a lot of people hated Volume 1

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/DCComics/status/888149110288637952
comicsbeat.com/renae-deliz-ray-dillon-and-the-eternal-war-of-creators-and-publishers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I didn't realize a lot of people hated Volume 1

No they didn't.

idk I just looked into the reply section of the announcement
twitter.com/DCComics/status/888149110288637952

I enjoyed it, but it felt pretty tame in terms of reinventions in my opinion. There isn't much to separate it from the dozens of Diana origins we have already seen, despite playing up some of the bondage Marston stuff. I expected a bit more from Morrison if we're being totally honest.

I hope Green Lantern can save this line, since Superman and Teen Titans were terrible IMO. Batman's interesting though, if not all that memorable

Oh my

As points out, it really had nothing going for it to set it apart from any of the countless origin retellings we get for WW. Even the bondage and lesbian stuff felt like your standard comics cheesecake. Morrison hyped it up in interviews but didn't deliver anything notable.

people are still butthurt about de liz? she and her husband got what they deserved for being attention whore idiots

Please, hire Gabby Rivera. I hear she's doing great stuff with America Chavez and she's both a woman and a POC.

>she and her husband got what they deserved for being attention whore idiots
Story?

Wonder Woman will stand the test of time. Its only true problem was that by the time it came out, we already had a great fresh new take on the character from her start in the New 52 run. By now, Morrison's take which had been years in development has somehow become the social norm of the character as it has already been indoctrinated in cinematic lore. Had this book come out in 2010 instead of 2016, we would be living in a very different world of comics in which the New 52 run would have been called derivative of the Earth One books and the announcement of a sequel would be long awaited among fans instead of the odd hate it is now receiving

I like it, but it didn't really stand out for me especially compared to Morrisons compared to Morrisons other work

comicsbeat.com/renae-deliz-ray-dillon-and-the-eternal-war-of-creators-and-publishers/

>hile you can find around the clock coverage of the kerfuffle on another website, I’ll give you the abbreviated version. Dillon was indeed publicly critical of DC, both of the marketing campaign for the book, and of the recently announced Amazon-themed book by Kevin Grevioux – a subject close to a rejected pitch by De Liz.
>I was also told by “senior DC sources” that these public matters were only the tip of the iceberg in what was a fraught working relationship between Dillon and DC. A Mary Sue article about the kerfuffle reprinted the tweets and some criticism that was supposedly planted by Dillon…before all reference to the tweets was removed. from the article. But it appears to have been the last straw for DC. (I’m told the Grevioux pith and the DeLiz pitch were handled by different departments and neither editor knew of the other project.)

>But this is not the whole story. Here’s the even deeper background. Immediately after the book was cancelled, as I reported, DeLiz set up a GoFundMe to get a monetary cushion for the holidays because of the lost work, and a baby on the way. The campaign is already at $5000, $3000 more than its $2000 goal, and it seems offers of other work were coming in.

>However here’s where it gets a little messy. It’s an open “secret” in the “business” that DeLiz and Dillon have used crowdfunding to get past some rough patches in the past and are years late with both delivering on their Peter Pan Kickstarter
There's way more stuff in the article

Yes, I did. The art was nice, if a bit too much like a rehash of the Dodson's run on Diana, but the writing was so full of itself and wooden.

no but seriously where is Batman v3

After Doomsday Clock if Johns is not lying, so anytime after November 2018

Dunno about hated. It was the first time I was bored reading Morrison though.

ray dillon is also a scammer, their facebook page is full of collectors following up on commissions order 2 years ago that are still pending

have said that, they are still accepting commission for some reason even if they are already swamped with backlogs

That's twitter feminists getting butthurt about Renae de Liz and Wonder Woman being written by a man.

Johns already finished the script, so I don't know what's the holdup.

>Teen Titans were terrible
Ain't that the truth, TT Earth One was pure garbage.
I actually kinda liked Superman Earth One, but I haven't read any other Superman books before.
Hopefully there's more Batman in the pipeline and more past Green Lantern.(GL is another character I've never read.)

Gary Frank is drawing Doomsday Clock

It was just soccer moms, feminists, SJWs, Steve Dillon and Renae de Liz who hated it. Everybody else found it to be decent to good.

I liked it. Great art and it was a nice modernization of Marston's work.

wonder woman earth one didn't go far enough with the bdsm stuff. it feels like grant only dipped his toes in and we never got the based dom wonder woman everyone was expecting from morrison

maybe with vol 2 dc editorial will finally grow back the balls they lost after the crash

>the based dom wonder woman everyone was expecting from morrison
What? You talk as if Morrison's entire body of work is based in BDSM or so me shit. He's never written that before. Why would anyone expect a fetish book?

I've noticed this as well, why is that?

It's Marston inspired Wonder Woman. It has her in chains on the cover. This doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.

How does being either of those things make you a better author

It's way better than Rucka's origin.

Anything is better than that waifu obsessing bastard.

It's still an unrealistic expectation.

I don't know about that. WW origins tend to be great no matter who writes it because the first reactions are so funny on both sides.

>Grant Morrison writes the most feminist Wonder Woman comic in the character's history
>he should stop writing the character because of his gender and race

>black Steve

Misrandists and retards don't want him writing. Some of the earliest feminists was men.

I know lovecraft was.

Damn right! The book should be written and drawn by a bunch of known scammers!

You say it like it was the first time. At least they aren't a couple now.

are the Earth One books all connected?

I'm guessing that WW showing skin got their exploitation senses triggered.

Eh, I liked the concept and worldbuilding far more than the execution. It felt like nothing really happened in the book.

But seriously, the worldbuilding is great. Canon Wonder Woman needs to import that vagina-plane, pronto.

not really, they take place on them same earth but there's not really any references

When he talks about Wonder Woman in his book Supergods he makes sure to emphasize the BDSM history. It seems to have been a favorite topic of his for quite a while.

I liked it. though it's pretty tame as far as Morrison goes. granted, that's my fault since I was basically expecting an All Star Superman.

it's not the kind of feminism feminist today want. what they want for their Wonder Woman is to punch men.

It's part of the hype not meeting the end product issue. Morrison talked a lot about how there wouldn't be any fight scenes in the comic like it was some sort of feminist message, but in reality it's because it's part one of three.

>America Chavez
>good
The only person writing her well is Ewing in Ultimates

Candy was the only interesting thing about it. And it was weird how Medusa didn't get any comeuppance, she just kind of left.

Pretty much the only people that did were the typical SJW pundits who used Morrison as a conduit to express the frustrations they have with message taking precedence over story (you know the complaint they ignore when "reviewing"things like America).

It does what they YASSSS about constantly but its by a guy who "has a problem writing women". Which all guys do according to these type of people.

Thing is, it's not great. And the only people that really care about it are Morrison fanboys who feel the need to defend him.

Nah, I get all that. My gripe isn't with the lack of action or Earth-shattering drama, but just that story doesn't justify its page count. It felt like something a compressed writer like Morrison could tell within a single standard issue, drawn out to full graphic novel length.

I was actually fully on board with there being no fight scenes.

>I was actually fully on board with there being no fight scenes.
GAY

OGN is the worst formatin comcis. It'll read much betetr when all three voluems are out because I think the world building and all is REALLY good but I agree that it's lacking so the end product is "good" but not great and certainly not phenomenal. Still much much better than Rucka, Azzarello or De Liz though.

I concur.

yeah, I call bullshit on their complaints. It's the same people that say only blacks should write about blacks. It's fucking bullshit

I found it funny when she wanted to chain him up

>responds to literally the laziest bait on Sup Forums in the year 2017
>tries to act mug about it
No wonder you like Ewwing

>OGN is the worst formatin comcis
that's floppies

I'm getting close to being ready to finally do something about POC

I loved the world building as well. Morrison's Themiscara was a great mix of ancient folklore, Marston's version and modern technological advances.

I actually like De Liz's WW a lot, and I think it's actually a lot closer to what Morrison was doing than people think. Rucka I can't comment on, but Azzarello's run was very fun story about Greek Gods and someone who was definitely not Wonder Woman.

off yourself you edgy faggot

They don't care about good writing. They just care about telling other people what they need to do or not do.

No one who wrote this slop should be allowed to write for anyone.

For the customer maybe due to the price and wait between releases.

>yeah, I call bullshit on their complaints. It's the same people that say only blacks should write about blacks. It's fucking bullshit

I think the art team on King's next Batman arc is all women and I haven't seen anyone say shit even though that kind of visibility is actually worth celebrating. Those people wanting to shove everyone into one little box can fuck off.

No he's right. OGNs tend to fail at giving readers natural stopping points and pretty much all of them fail to have the same amount of content story-wise as a normal trade. Floppies when read in a collection act as chapters at least.

I think part of this is the fault of the editors maybe not really getting how it should be structured though.

Brooverts beat girl right there. Remember, it's not about writing good stuff, it's about writing stuff people will hate read. In his eyes writing a bad book people will hate will lead to more sales than a good book that receives no attention.

I'd be surprised if America doesn't get at LEAST 20 issues. Especially since Gabby has been receiving Latino novelists awards for writing this shit. She even has multiple interviews coming up. Strap in user, it's going to be a wild wild.

Shade The Changing Girl is ALL female but nobody gives a shit.

Do people pay to read or watch stuff to hate? I never do. I will hate read if I can get it for free, but the moment I have to pay, they've won.

Well, the 1st Volume is shit in terms of story. But the panel work and the Greek Tragedy comparisons were amazing. I've made a small video analysis about them, but I do want to read the next volume to see if it'll get any better. If it doesn't, down in the shitter it goes.

Great art, but really pretty forgettable. I remember more about Grant TALKING about the book than what actually happened in the story.

Nothing really happened. It was mostly like a TV pilot that told you about the setting so you could understand the world. She left the island then they brought her back and put her on trial.

Don't forget Sup Forumssters who were triggered by Diana being romantic with a black Steve.

>a white man writing a Wonder Woman OGN somehow prevents anyone else from writing a WW OGN
These people are out of their fucking minds. WHY wouldn't you want the most high profile writer in the entire fucking industry writing a Wondie book?! Literally all it can do is create MORE opportunities for those people, since if it's successful it means there'll be MORE Wondie books.

All the fucking posturing over shit grinds my gears so much.

You want Alan Moore writing Wondy? Well i guess rape and bondage go together

SJWs only care about superficial attributes like race and gender. The ultimate irony is that they are no different from traditional racists and sexists.

I liked it but I didn't appreciate Morrison shoving his obsession with black men where it's not needed.

worth it for the shackles joke

There's a lot of things I love about the book but I think ultimately as a story it failed due to man's world being wholly unexciting.

See, Marston still understood that at the end of the day, it's a superhero comic book and you need to have Wonder Woman doing exciting and cool things or else people are going to tune out.

I love Morrison's idea of having a non-violent story but there isn't anything interesting going on there to make up for it. Amazonia was so well fleshed-out and interesting, so it would have been much better if man's world had enough cool going on to make it feel less like a slog. Legend of Wonder Woman did it much better, and the pages from vol. 2 already seem like a huge improvement.

As for Steve being black, I think it COULD have been a good idea if either a) it was set in the present day or b) if they actually explored the racial aspect rather than just doing a palette swap with a few jokes.

Overall I'm excited because I think vol. 1 was a great starting point for a trilogy.

I would actually like an Alan Moore Wondie book using elements of witchcraft and pagan magic

The problem is that joke is done now. The entirety of Steve Trevor's character has been changed to facilitate a single joke in the first volume and now it serves no purpose except to highlight the bizarre interest a middle aged Scottish man has with African American males.

>a lot of people hated Volume 1
that is because based Morrison intentionally pissed off both SJWs an Sup Forums

Every Earth One book is really divisive.

>that is because based Morrison intentionally pissed off both SJWs an Sup Forums
Which everyone should have expected, given its Morrison.

>implying I wouldn't read Alan Moore's Wondie

>b) if they actually explored the racial aspect
Morrison chose a black Steve due to the re-inclusion of the bondage aspect to Wonder Woman's origin. He wanted to illustrate how Steve might not be too enthusiastic about submission in this manner. He also wanted to create a more stark contrast between Diana and a stranger from Man's world. That's all that's really needed.

Venturing to explore some message of tolerance and social liberty is something that Marvel would waste its time on. They would have likely showed Diana kissing Steve on the cover to maximize the outrage points as well.

I get that, which is why I was positive about that before the book came out. I just feel in the book it takes such a backseat that it might as well not be in there.

Maybe I'm just a horrible racist but it felt weird to me that it wasn't a bigger deal that he was black considering the time period it was set in. If it were in the present day, I'd have no problem with it.

I will admit I'm a bit biased because I'm a big fan of the imagery of Diana holding this Captain America-looking fella in her arms while rescuing him.

I'm pretty sure it was in the present day though? Penultimate page has a smartphone.

It is a big deal for Steve not Wondy. There are blacks on paradise island

You are actually right. That's some real retardation on my part.

That does at least illustrate my point that everything off of Amazonia has little character to it.

This image probably also colored my perception, though of course that's Hippolyta, not Diana.

What?... People that hated Heracles in her origin, I think... no?

Honestly, it just feels like Grant's been coasting on his name for the last several years.

I felt like it worked because Hippolyta still desired a child and found a way to get one. That it was sci-fi rather than clay doesn't bother me like the Zeus affair does.

But I know some people misread it and thought it made Diana a rape baby.

I feel the same. I really enjoyed the look of the amazons and their culture. Also he brought back the kangas and I love those stupid giant kangaroos for some weird reason. I think it's just the silliness of the concept.

The story itself felt a little too rushed in some places and I think the book would have been better overall with a few more pages added here and there to help the story flow.

>Multi-Eisner Award Winner
Was this back when winning an Eisner still meant something?

Insofar as industry awards have ever meant anything. However it was during the last period of Moore's work where he was consistently knocking it out of the park.

Multiversity was great though.

I didn't hate it, I was just underwhelmed and unimpressed. It's the first Morrison book after Sea Guy (and I'll probably re-read Sea Guy IF the backing ever happens for the third set of issues to be printed/produced) that I haven't had any interest in re-reading. I mean, I'll read vol. 2, but I won't bother re-reading vol. 1 first.

I also agree with these two anons: , and believe their criticisms about Wonder Woman are correct - although I would disagree with the user that spoke about other books in the series.

>That does at least illustrate my point that everything off of Amazonia has little character to it.

Definitely agreed. Besides the phone and I guess a bus looking kind of normal there's not much else. We don't even see much fashion because everyone is mostly in some kind of uniform (military, hospital, sorority girls in matching shirts). I would have to look panel by panel at least for more clues and I don't have the patience for that.

Almost feels like he wanted to only tell a story about the island, which is fine but the man's world stuff was a distraction.