How did they do it? Considering that they wing it most of the time how did they manage to world build so well...

How did they do it? Considering that they wing it most of the time how did they manage to world build so well? Also how is it that almost every character design has been top tier?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s1l2rjmdttA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They only make seasons when they have inspiration, motivation and budget to do something I guess. It's a personal work.

By spending their entire budget on a license for a song that plays in the opening episode of the season for two minutes.

Amazing things happen when you still have to make something and don't have a budget.

They care about what they do, that's why.

Passionate writers

Good writers, animators, and character designers

Better question is why it's not at least 10 times more popular

Then Sup Forums would hate it :^)

A couple of reasons.
Major themes of the show lend itself well to a well weaved world.
The worlds of Super villainy and Spies is bogged down with tedious bureaucracy. Going into great detail and showing off the dogged members and ineffective leaders helps to sell that joke.
Also the world is marked by vapid cliquishness. Again like the Bureaucracy actually showing it off helps sells the joke vs just saying its so.
And there's also the theme of how everythings Rusty's unresolved past and his dad's ghost haunting him. So you can get deep into the history of the world in a very organic way.
Most of all, they care. Most shows wouldn't give a fuck to try and make some kind of overarching world.

Because new episodes aren't shoveled out weekly at 7pm on netflix.
And it's not shit.

Stop beinh hipster.

Limited release at the rest of the world. Most of Sup Forums seems to come from Latin America, and many of us dont have Adult Swimm.

But he's right.

You say limited release to the rest of the world but even in America you either have access to Adult Swim's streaming service or buy the dvds. They air it sporadically on the actual channel, there's only new seasons every couple of years. The rest of the seasons aren't on Netflix or anything.

Also it's continuity heavy.

because the writers and the producers are the same people, which means there's a consistency between vision and implementation that you won't find on many other television shows.

You can buy the episodes as they air on Amazon, Vudu and iTunes, ya cheap prick. Don't give me that no access bullshit when you just don't want to pay.

I don't know why but Hank's jacket is probably my favorite design change in the series.

>Don't want to pay
I bought all the blurays.
And the first volume of the soundtrack.

It makes sense most people who don't watch the show wouldn't want to BUY it without seeing it which is why it's not popular. It's already hard enough to get into but chancing upon it and realizing it's really good is hard.

Don't the first few episodes of Season 1 have no commentaries? For some reason the torrent I got only have from 5 onwards (Along with the Pilot)

Too niche.

You had to grow up on 80's cartoons to appreciate the references. Kids that grew up on in the 90's and 2000's can't appreciate campy. Normies see this show and think it's too campy. They are the type of people that dislike Batman: Brave And The Bold and Batman 66'

I grew up in the 90s and get it just fine. Plus it was originally parodying the 60/70s cartoons.

It's not that you won't enjoy the show if you don't get the references. The setting that parodies old superhero shows is just not attractive to normies, add to that most of the characters being middle aged dudes.

And unpleasant losers and assholes until they grow on you.

I mean by god the callbacks here. Just rewatching the show with commentary and damn. The Viceroy is what 21 uses as a name later on (Not a lot but he refers to himself as the Viceroy as certain episodes).

It's a combination of a couple of factors

A.) Inconsistent release schedule with huge gaps between seasons being the norm
B.) Adult Swim rarely plays reruns
C.) Most of the humor is conversation driven and subtle, with smartly written dialog and great delivery being the main draw for it's laughs. Not on the level of something like Home Movies granted, but the ADHD ridden millennial that swear by "crazy" joke-a-minute shows like Archer or Rick and Morty still find it too boring to keep their attention long enough for any kind of lasting investment. It's pop culture references being more restrained and focused on things before their time doesn't help either.
D.)The writing is packed with lots of subtle and not so subtle references to older episodes being the basis for a lot of it's jokes/plot points in later episodes. Minor details and background characters from the first few seasons often come back as major players, or as a random gag. This makes it very rewarding to watch if you're a dedicated fan, but it makes the show very obtuse to newcomers who stumble across random episodes by chance. It's hard for normalfags to get into, they arn't used to world building in cartoons on this level.

>Seeing them come up with a character concept during commentary

Good record keeping, probably from two people directly controlling the vast majority of production

One thing in that scene I only noticed a couple years ago: Crimeodile's henchman uses the phrase "Sorry, Charlie" while he's talking, and both the therapist and Gary call him that afterwards. In some shots, you can see he's wearing a nametag, and his name isn't Charlie.

Literal years between airings

Then they're shmucks.

Amazon and Vudu will usually give you the first episode of the new season for FREE. They watch the free episode and then get hooked to pay for the rest.

People are running out of excuses to say they don't want to pay.

To be fair, the pilot is pretty weak. Everyone says that Venture Bros really picks up midseason.
And if they start the second season then they spoil the best twist of the series with none of the build up.

new seasons come out every couple years, so I assume Adult Swim gives them a rather loose schedule

First episode of a recent season doesn't really tell you anything, especially with a show as dependent on long running plots like VB. Half the jokes wouldn't make sense, none of the characterizations would mean anything to you, honestly it sounds like an awful way to sell the show.

it's popular when it airs. what's the point in consistent discussion when there's nothing new

Oh here's another one. The disguise Fat Chance and Professor Impossible use there is actually a reused character design that showed up much earlier

>"I remember there was a RING...that loved the radio."

>Also how is it that almost every character design has been top tier?
I'll post the character sheets just because you brought this up.
I think all people who want to be animators should take a few lessons from The Venture Bros

I just realized how jew his nose looks.

Speaking of, can't wait for the artbook to finally come out in September!

They also use young Swifty in the Classic Team Venture.
I always felt so bad for Swifty.
It's probably his Injun blood.
I originally thought Hunter Gathers was just calling him big as a bus but then realized he meant he's actually part Winnebago Indian.

Wonder if they still follow these for the new season for the boys.

Another thing I realized is how small their pool of voice actors is for such a large ensemble show. It's basically just Doc and Jason (I also didn't realize how much a Man Voice turns me on, fuck Dr Girlfriend's voice still gives me a boner)

He is jew
youtube.com/watch?v=s1l2rjmdttA

>the ADHD ridden millennial that swear by "crazy" joke-a-minute shows like Archer or Rick and Morty still find it too boring to keep their attention long enough for any kind of lasting investment. It's pop culture references being more restrained and focused on things before their time doesn't help either.
Tex Avery says hello.

60% is parodying pre-existed intellectual properties.

It was pretty damn popular back in the day. I know it's still ongoing, but 10 years ago, Venture Bros was hype as fuck.

They take notes and genuinely care about the world they're building. Yeah, most of the time they wing shit to make a joke in an episode, but they remember that joke or that character or that place and they'll pick it back up later, sometimes with more spotlight on it or sometimes with less. Hammer and Publick also have a great fashion sense which leads well into designing characters. Watch the DVD commentaries if you haven't already - they're funny as hell and go into a lot of detail on how they build the setting and characters.

The show's release schedule is too sporadic to really hold the average viewer's attention. Couple that with the fact that Adult Swim basically refuses to air reruns of it and the niche nature of its humor and it's not hard to see why people haven't heard of it.