Storytime of Pain: The Rape of Ms. Marvel

Back in the late 70s, Marvel turned Captain Marvel supporting character Carol Danvers into her own superhero named Ms. Marvel. They wanted to have a "feminist" superhero to appeal to second-wave feminists at the time. She had her own ongoing and was added to the Avengers. Unfortunately for her, Marvel EiC Jim Shooter wasn't too fond of feminists and didn't want a "damn bra-burner" wasting a spot on the Avengers. To that end, he ordered that she be written out ASAP. This is the result of that order.

This is Avengers #200: The Rape of Ms. Marvel.

I've already read this because I actually like Carol, but woooo, bring it on!

Haha just in time.

You gonna do the thing that happened to Powergirl which was kinda similar?

Same.
Thanks for AA10 Claremont.

YAASS QUEEEN

Probably the most unfortunate story line in all of 80's Marvel Comics.

Was it really rape though?

She was mind controlled, therefore she didn't consent, therefore it's rape.

And then Vision pressured Wanda into having magical babies, with Dr Strange's approval. And then Bendis blamed Wanda for being "baby-crazy".
Which reminds me, does Disassembled deserve a SOP?

AA10/Kang Dynasty palate cleanser bonus?

In Avengers books, Beast was usually written as a goofball, so it was cool seeing him remind everyone he's a genius.
And then when he returned to the X-Books they only focused on the genius part and his fun side was forgotten.

Normally I would, but it's not in the spirit of SoPs to give a palette cleanser.

>Let's let this mysterious kid who won't tell us anything we want to know use a bunch of advanced tech, what could go wrong?

>does Disassembled deserve a SOP?
Not like this, NOT LIKE THIS!

I first read that page before I was aware of the meme storm surrounding Bendis. It felt so weird and out of place, why would anyone dive into an engine air intake like that?

Disassembled was the time Bendis was given complete control to do anything he wants without editors holding him down, so maybe yes.

someone shoul post War Machine 2.0
>tfw crying about it since yesterday

The worst part is that originally Carol was going to be pregnant with a Supremor seed.
But because of a What If most people wouldn't have read that showed the son of the Supreme Intelligence had recently come out, for some reason Marvel felt like it had to change it.

Oh, don't you worry. I did the storytime in the first SWoP. Not going to miss out on doing it again.

>And admittedly, with a subtle boost from Immortus' machines
WHY DID THEY HAVE TO INCLUDE THIS LINE?

And that's it for the Rape of Ms. Marvel. Short, but sweet. Stay tuned for more Storytimes of Pain as the Storytime Weekend of Pain continues on. In the meantime, why not check out some of the SoPs that you may have missed:

Previous Threads:
Day 1:
(Marville)
(Trouble)
(The Unfunnies)
(Nemesis)
(Joker's Daughter)
(Amazons Attack)
(Change)
(The Surface)
(Earth-2: World's End)
(Countdown pt. 1)
(Countdown pt. 2)
(Countdown pt. 3)

Day 2:
(Jade Street Protection Service)

For anyone that wants to do their own SoP, here are some brief guidelines:
>format the subject as "Storytime of Pain: *comic name*" for ease of searching
>link to other storytimes of pain in the second or so post so people that are following along can make sure they didn't miss any (optional, but appreciated)
>only storytime the absolute fucking worst comics imaginable, just being "bad/boring" doesn't make it SoP worthy, nor does "it doesn't fit with my political views"; this is for stuff that's physically painful to read
>don't SoP a comic just to throw shade at it or its fans (for example, don't storytime, say, King's Batman just because you personally don't like it or want to troll Kingfags)
>Sunday @ 8PM PST is the soft-cutoff point (as that's when the SDCC doors close); try to get any SoPs you plan on doing done before then
Other than that, go nuts and let's all revel in some truly fucking awful comics.

Why did they want to write Ms. Marvel out again?

>someone shoul post War Machine 2.0
Save that for Sunday.

Save the worst for last.

Shooter hated feminists.

wait, i don't get it. She falls in love with her rapist? How does she come back?

LITERALLY in the op.

I once read that he also tried writing Spider-Woman out because he thought she "emmasculated" Spider-Man by existing.

"Mom, apple pie, and the girl next door"
What? I've heard the phrase "american as apple pie" before but not former. What the hell is that even supposed to mean?

>How does she come back?
Because of his rapid aging, Marcus dies quickly and after dieing, his mental control over Carol ends. She then escapes his realm and Spider-woman finds and saves her when she gets out. Then Jessica takes her to the X-men to recover.

The Avengers go to the X-Mansion to see her when they find out she's back and Carol tears them all a new one for allowing Marcus to take her to his rape dimension.

Chewed out? Carol destroyed them verbally.

And mind you this was the 200th Issue of The Avengers. Earth's Mightiest. Was Shooter drunk when he wrote this?

Byrne and Bendis proved equally adept at ruining female characters.

Marvel females are less popular due to character assassination by Shooter, Byrne, Bendis, Millar, and cringe-making SJW pandering by Bendis, Brevoort, Waid, etc.

Holy shit what is even going on now

no, it was stupid even by comic standards. there's no way beast could have done that... Hawkeye or Bullseye, sure. But that's unbelievable for beast.

Man, fuck this shit.

I haven't read this before, so looking forward to it.

Though I'm a little disappointed there isn't a "Rape of Ms. Marvel" banner in the comic.

Someone should storytime that french comic about two chicks who have a bet which one of them can seduce a rich guy first.
Can't remember the name.

This is just so... inappropriate.

"How did you come to understand woman, Hank?"
"With my fists."

I like how Marcus OPENLY ADMITS TO ALL OF THEM THAT HE MIND CONTROLLED HER

FUCKING

SHOOTER

FU

>Someone should storytime that french comic about two chicks who have a bet which one of them can seduce a rich guy first.

A Little Tempation by Jim.

How did Marvel know about the girl from the Titanic movie years before it came out?!

I... what? Jesus Carol.

Didn't Star Trek: The Next Generation do a very similar storyline with Troi?

Do Trekkies crap all over that story too?

Its weird to see people fawning over a baby these days.

The younger crowd who not only dont want any babies of their own seem completely terrified of the little things.

I can't speak for Trekkies, but I certainly do. A lot of season 1/2 TNG was absolutely fucking terrible. Code of Honor, Angel One... There's a reason why "Growing the Beard" is a trope for when a show gets good, from when Johnathan Frakes started growing his beard and the quality improved from then on. Early TNG was THAT mediocre.

Love sure is beautiful, eh?

Even the cast will openly say that the first two seasons of TNG was terrible.

Season 1 & 2 are only worth watching for the Q episodes, and the trial of Data. That's like 5 episodes out of around 44+.

She was mind-controlled *to* consent.

When the sexual activity occurred, she desired it and consented. But the consent was created via false pretenses. If I lie to a girl that I'm a millionaire and she sleeps with me to gain access to those funds, she then finds out I'm dirt-poor - was that rape?

Huh, had never heard that. Interesting, and would have made more stylistic sense than the previously zero-connection between Carol and Immortus.

A girl being tricked via lies is a lil different than a girl being tricked via mind altering effects.

>unexplainable and undeniable attraction
>hello mother
You would think at least ONE person working on this would have looked at this page and said "Uh, isn't this crossing a line somewhere?"

Bumpity dumpity.

>She was mind-controlled *to* consent.
So....she was coerced *to* cooperate? Yeah, totally not rape.

Thanks Shooter.

The thing is, Carol was pretty passive during Avengers 200. The annual was basically Claremont subliminally telling the writers "what the fuck were you thinking!?" And Claremont is know for his freaky fetishes, so if he was appalled, then that tells you how fucked up that story was.

So how is Kang Dynasty a pallete cleanser?
I straight up stopped reading once Marcus showed up. I have the omni on my shelf, but I just can't be bothered.

If you have to construct a second unrelated scenario to halfass some apologetics, it was probably rape.

It's not the same Marcus. It's Kang's son who looks like this Marcus because Kang and Immortus are the same person and thus they'd logically have similar-looking sons. They both have the same because Kang and Immortus share a past and have an affinity for the name.

Poor Carol, she's been through so much.

So less a palate cleanser and more completely pointless reminder of and call back to one of the worst stories ever, then?

The palate cleanser comes from the interactions he has with Carol.

wew. How could anyone give this the OK?

Maybe it's Shooter's fetish?