Storytime of Pain: Marvel Mangaverse: Ghost Riders

In the mid-00s, Marvel was trying to get in on the anime/manga craze by introducing their own "manga-inspired" imprint called the Marvel Mangaverse. The books ranged from bad to surprisingly good, but this one-shot stands out as not just being the worst thing to come out of the Mangaverse, but arguably the single worst one-shot Marvel has ever published. This is Chuck Austen at his "finest."

This is Marvel Mangaverse: Ghost Riders

Previous Threads:
Day 1:
(Marville)
(Trouble)
(The Unfunnies)
(Nemesis)
(Joker's Daughter)
(Amazons Attack)
(Change)
(The Surface)
(Earth-2: World's End)
(Countdown pt. 1)
(Countdown pt. 2)
(Countdown pt. 3)

Day 2:
(The Rape of Ms. Marvel)
(Jade Street Protection Service)
(Liberty for All)
(Champions)
(Nightwing: Brothers in Blood)
(The Deal/God’s End)
(America)

Oh my god it's 2006 and I'm back on Deviantart.

The best part is that it's not like Chuck Austen is some DeviantArt artist. He may be a horrible writer, but he'd been an artist for decades and did some solid stuff. He even did a few issues of MIRACLEMAN, one of the best capecomics of all time.

But then the 00s happened, he decided to become a writer and decided that art took too long and he should find new, quicker ways to do "art."

This spread is beautiful. Just beautiful.

Champions should not even be on this list. I get the other ones, but Champions? What the fuck?

Cannot wait to see what else shows up this weekend.

I agree that Champions isn't SoP worthy and will probably drop it from the list for future storytimes. It's bad, sure, but it's not on the same level of bad as these other comics.

Is it bad like 70s Spider-Man manga?

jesus christ

This fucking art and writing, ugh. This is really up there with America and Marville.

The Spider-manga is great in its own way. Sure, it's not really "Spider-man" but beyond that, it's actually a pretty good comic.

This though. This is a fucking trainwreck.

>trainwreck

Agreed. Nice ass though.

>Chuck Austen dedicated this comic to his dead brother
The best part about this whole train-wreck.

And that's MM: Ghost Riders. But don't you worry, it's not the only Chuck Austen written & drawn comic that I'll be doing this weekend. If you thought this was bad, just wait until US War Machine 2.0.

anons, welcome me to the giantess fetish club

Someone edit this to be like the jean grey & bobby scene.

Wonder if Bunn's run on Aquaman or Twilight Lobo will show up this weekend? Though admittedly, those are not as bad as this shit.

>>Chuck Austen dedicated this comic to his dead brother
holy kek
>just wait until US War Machine 2.0.
HAHAHAHAHA YES MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERE

I swear I've seen some Marvel Mangaverse stuff with actual good art, but this... is not one of them. Guess they chose poorly.

Side note, anyone know what this page is from? It has a manga artstyle but looks way too recent to be from one of these.

Power Pack, or Marvel Adventures Power Pack maybe? My memories on the titles are murky but that sounds right to me

The Mangaverse had some surprisingly good stuff in there with some unique ideas. The Spiders being a clan of ninjas is cool, and the Mangaverse Venom design is fucking great. Uncle Ben being his sensei is a neat twist on his origin to fit the setting. Mangaverse Hank Pym being a teenager that uses a guitar and the power of Rock'n'Roll to control ants is fucking awesome. The Avengers being essentially a sentai team and using a giant Avengers mech to fight a Kaiju-Hulk is an inspired choice which Ewing would then co-opt later for his New Avengers.

But Ghost Riders. My God, Ghost Riders is horrible.

It's a Power Pack mini drawn by Girihiru, Thor and the Warriors Four .
It came out in 2010 IIRC

One of the Gurihiru Power Pack books. Gurihiru is a pair of Japanese women that do art for Marvel on occasion, hence why it evokes some manga-style (ironically, the reason they do art for Marvel and other western publishers instead of being mangakas is because they were told that their style is too "western" to make it as mangakas.)

If you want more Gurihiru, they're the artists for the currently running Gwenpool ongoing which is really good.

this is.....
gosh this is unbelievably bad

The original one-shot that introduced nuLobo is absolutely SoP worthy. Bunn's run on Lobo and Aquaman, not so much. They're mediocre/bad, but not SoP bad.

The original one-shot is fucking awful though.

Aww yeah I almost wanna invite Sup Forums to join in on the fun.

Man we've done a lot and aren't even halfway through.

It's taking a lot of restraint to not just blow through all the stuff I wanted to do immediately. Gotta ration it out across the weekend.

They can have their fun with Violonce Jack or Devilman Lady or other Go Nagai shit like that.

>it's actually a pretty good comic.
I don't agree but well, I respect your opinion I guess.

Hahahahaha what the fuck, the funniest dying speech in the history of comis

Is it just me or does this comic look.... 3D modeled? It boggles the eye. Like some shit that was made with Comipo, except this existed way before Comipo.

Traced images from a How to Draw Manga book. Think we found the book one year. Ought to get someone to bring it to a convention, get Austen to sign it.

See, this sequence could be great if Austen had just gotten some other schmuck to do the art. As is, it's great for ALL the wrong reasons.

You know, when I saw Ghost Riders in the list for the SoP, I thought it was unjustly there since Heavens on Fire is pretty fun and shit.

But now that I see this, fuck everything.

I hope that this is someone referenced in the new miniseries

I unironically love Daimon in this.

It's a combination of regular pictures, 3d modeling, and traced images from a How to Draw Manga book. A real fucking hodge-podge of trash.

Jesus Christ, how horrifying.

Is there a comparison of this book and these images some where?

this being a one-shot could have even been fun as in "let's make fun of everything" but the art is SO sub-par it's just... bad.

I used to work with a guy who thought the Mangaverse was the best thing Marvel made.

One thing's for sure, it is literally the only time Human Torch has ever been an interesting character.

This page has already justified the entire comic.

Hey, they tried making him interesting by having him marry The Thing's girlfriend!

This concept is kinda redundant since Ghost Rider is one of the most anime Marvel characters already.

That's probably why anime-izing Ghost Rider canceled out and turned it into some weird-ass abomination that doesn't remotely resemble anime.

Speaking of Emil, I wonder if he's in Marvel Mangaverse.

This is really going to come in handy.

The demon in particular looks like she was a poser model that was traced over.

Also, Ghost Rider on the cover has a nose. why.

There's the germ of a good comic in here, between Daimen and Satana's banter and Daniel (I assume that's Danny Ketch and not Blaze?) utter confusion.

Is the Hulk rampaging tied to a different story, or is it just happening?

this book is hilarious

I'm glad this is obscure or else we'd have daily fetish threads about this

this was unbelievably fun

yeah Mangaverse wasn't a terrible idea, at least initially, but it was one of those cases where Marvel went out of their way to ruin it as hard as possible, a later set of comics for Mangaverse basically did Ultimatum several years early, ruining it's ability to be used so bad that when Mangaverse Spider-Man returned for Spider-Verse they indirectly retconned out most of the later Mangaverse stories

also I'm surprised no one has done a SoP for Mangaverse Punisher yet, that one is a trainwreck in it's own right as well

it's tied to the main plot of the first wave of Mangaverse stories

What's worse is that Ghost Rider is a concept that can easily work in a anime-like setting, but instead we got the cringefest we have now. And like said, nothing about this comic was even manga-like in the first place.

I dunno, aside from the height, this is the least attractive Satana design I've seen.

Forgive me but that was cool as fuck, the most interesting story time iv come across. Damn I'm gonna get into this! That fucking random ghost rider dude lmao I love those type of characters! Ty op!

>Evil has exposed its bare behind and we must spank it!

My siiiides

> I blowed it up. I blowed it up real good.

WOW

Any chances of storytiming those including the one with QT mangaverse Spider-MJ?

>Is the Hulk rampaging tied to a different story, or is it just happening?
The overarching plot of the first wave of Mangaverse comics was Kaiju-Hulk going on a rampage and various heroes trying to take him down.

Maybe some other time, once the Storytime Weekend of Pain is over.