DC Comics @ SDCC Day 2 Discussion Thread

Previous Thread: Friday's Remaining Panels

>Vertigo: Creator Spotlight
>3:00p.m. - 4:00p.m.
>Room: 6DE

>Comics’ most innovative imprint puts the creator in the spotlight! Come witness the evolution of Vertigo, as we glimpse back at the rich history, and peek forward to some of the incredible things to come. The star-studded lineup features Academy Award winner John Ridley with a few huge surprise guests!

>DC From Page to Screen
>4:15p.m. - 5:15p.m.
>Room: 6DE

>Never before has DC been more popular in TV, video games, home videos, and movie theaters. And with an impressive film slate and countless shows in series and production, it has never been a better time to be a DC fan! Join the people behind the scenes that translate the page to the screen on this must see panel that sees your favorite stories and characters come to life!

>DC’s Young Animal
>5:30p.m. - 6:30p.m.
>Room: 5AB

>Be here as we delve further into the world of DC’s YOUNG ANIMAL, the DC imprint led by MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE frontman and best selling comic writer, Gerard Way (Doom Patrol), with many of his top notch collaborators including Cecil Castellucci and Marley Zarcone (Shade, the Changing Girl), Jody Houser (Mother Panic), Jon Rivera (Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye) and others.

Other urls found in this thread:

newsarama.com/35499-batman-arkham-asylum-wonder-woman-earth-one-sequels-coming-from-grant-morrison.html
cbr.com/tom-king-batman-catwoman-post-proposal/
bleedingcool.com/2017/07/20/dc-masterclass-artists-dark-matter/
bleedingcool.com/2017/07/20/jim-lee-evergreen-stories-dc-big-talent/
newsarama.com/35506-doomsday-clock-s-future-setting-watchmen-like-length.html
newsarama.com/35486-sdcc-2017-meet-the-dc-comics-publishers-jim-lee-dan-didio-panel.html
newsarama.com/35524-young-animals-to-crossover-with-dcu-in-new-2018-title.html
newsarama.com/35522-first-look-metal-s-dark-justice-league.html
newsarama.com/35541-ff-style-family-of-superheroes-with-dc-s-the-terrifics.html
newsarama.com/35542-lemire-writing-hawkman-found-and-possible-a-hawkman-ongoing-later.html
newsarama.com/35545-dc-swears-off-variants-for-dark-matter-titles-draws-line-at-2-99.html
newsarama.com/35544-dc-duke-thomas-gets-own-ongoing-series-and-codename.html
youtube.com/watch?v=6JFFZ6VqNXI
newsarama.com/35518-sdcc-2017-dc-universe-rebirth-panel.html
cbr.com/dc-universe-rebirth-sdcc-2017/
newsarama.com/35529-sdcc-2017-dc-s-dark-nights-metal-and-dark-matter.html
cbr.com/sdcc-dark-knights-metal/
ign.com/videos/2017/07/21/dark-knights-metal-teaser-with-scott-snyder-at-sdcc-2017-ign-access
ign.com/videos/2017/07/21/batmans-future-with-tom-king-at-sdcc-2017-ign-access
youtube.com/watch?v=7dM8dI_-P9o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Thanks buddy

First for Time Displaced Legionnaires

Is Orlando actually there or was that a mistake?

I like this better than whatever the fuck is going on in Supergirl and Imra showing up only once a year. Hopefully Lemire doesn't fuck it up.

pls tell me that the Dark Matter books will sell decently... I want them to succeed...

Lemire is like the biggest LoSHfag

Which worries me, because his use of them in JLU kinda sucked, like the rest of the book.

>As previously announced, DiDio reiterated that the series would not feature variant covers, and they will all cost $2.99.
based

I know.

And as troubling as his JLU ultimately was, I feel like Dream Girl was well characterized (she's basically the only one who said anything memorable though). He will probably treat Tinya well enough but I hope it's not another clusterfuck.

>Lee said he likes variant covers - "More covers, more work." But instead of variant covers, the first issues will launch with two covers in a three-fold gatefold, allowing an expanded vertical presentation unique to comic books.
I don't like this. Makes reading digital a pain.

>Kevin Nowlan on inks

What a waste.

>Going from 5YL to Legion Lost

>no Bierbaums
>no middling, though kind of fun, early 2/3s of Reboot

he did nothing wrong

>A young fan asked a series of rapid fire questions about the JSA and how they might relate to Damage and Mr. Terrific, getting cagey answers. Venditti and Lemire told the fan that he's on the right track, but couldn't confirm the connections.
JSA soon

Early reboot is fun stuff with early kid versions of the team. Totally worth reading and sets up the darkness of the DnA stuff.

You're 1000% right about the Buerbaums

Are those custom bound collections? Nice, good for him.

I imagine we'll get LOSH, JSA, Shazam, those Titans/Teen Titans/Young Justice book Rich was speculating about, and other stuff that's been building up to by the time Doomsday Clock is over.

>Duke Thomas is getting his own series entitled "Batman: The Signal" co-written by Tony Patrick. The Signal will be Gotham's "hero by day."

BEST TASTE

>Duke Thomas is getting his own series entitled "Batman: The Signal" co-written by Tony Patrick. The Signal will be Gotham's "hero by day."
There, now idiots can stop thinking Duke is one of the already-announced heroes.

I enjoyed it but I feel like it wasn't really doing much until like the climax of the Dark Circle stuff. I bought the trade anyway, but I get not binding it.

Hitch's art might actually become bearable or maybe even good again.

Excited for his archenemy

also had it been previously collected? a lot of what's bound is still only in floppies iirc

Thanks for making this thread user, I'll do a recap in 10 minutes.

did he really go through the trouble of custom binding stuff but still writing copiel instead of coipel

>The final question came in about Duke Thomas from a fan, and Snyder took the opportunity to announce that Batman: The Signal will be Duke’s new book, written with a DC Talent Workshop alum named Tony Patrick. Duke’s superhero name is, officially, “The Signal” and he will be, according to Snyder, “Gotham’s hero by day.”
Seriously? The Signal?

>Seriously? The Signal?
Better than Robin.

But which versions

I think there may have been one early trade but also I think Levitz/Giffen had a few too so it doesn't totally explain it. Would assume the bounded ones are mostly personal preference though.

Hope he got a discount on that.

the archenemy will be Virtue Signal

looks like it's only wrong on the first one, probably the binders he used fucked it up

>written with a DC Talent Workshop alum named Tony Patrick.
Interesting

Since both of Snyder's creations failed, I want something special. You know how in Legends of Tomorrow Rip Hunter picked up nobodies to go with him on time traveling adventures? I want that to happen, but with failed OC Doughnut Steels so they can have one last hurrah in a blaze of glory death.

I wonder how long this book will last.

That used to be what Suicide Squad was for but it got too popular

>has to have batman in the name so it'll sell enough to get more than 6 issues
lol

>Snyder's creation
>batman in the name
>black character
>black writer
12 issues at a minimum unless it sells realllllly bad, then probably just 6 or 7

All those poor casuals that will buy it tricked into thinking they are buying a book about the bat signal will be so disappointed.

good idea
>Onyx
>Orpheus
>Harper
>Duke
>Faith (of JLA fame)
>Miiyahbiin or whatever her name was

t. faggots that read characters that sell like shit

Reminder that Nightwing required decades to barely reach 60.000 copies
Damian sells like shit
Batwoman sells like shit
TEC is full of characters that failed
Same for Batgirl etc.
Unless you like Batman only all the other characters are leeches feeding on his popularity

I know this is a shot at Snyder but "Dropping in new ideas that are never followed up on" is like the main thing mainstream Morrison does

>That's what Avengers Academy was but people cried about it.

And Geoff Johns...

News and rumors recap so far

DAY ONE: Thursday

>Grant Morrison announced Wonder Woman Earth One sequel with Yanick Paquette
> also announced Arkham Asylum 2 in Batman #666 setting with Chris Burnham
newsarama.com/35499-batman-arkham-asylum-wonder-woman-earth-one-sequels-coming-from-grant-morrison.html

>Tom King discusses the aftermath of Batman's proposal and information about redemption arc with artist Joelle Jones
cbr.com/tom-king-batman-catwoman-post-proposal/

>DC masterclass artist rumored to draw only 3 issues each of Dark Matter books (Rich the leech and bleeding cool rumor)
bleedingcool.com/2017/07/20/dc-masterclass-artists-dark-matter/

>DC wants to revive OGNs again
bleedingcool.com/2017/07/20/jim-lee-evergreen-stories-dc-big-talent/

>Details about Geoff Johns and Gary Frank's Doomsday Clock with art and how it'll impact DC universe going forward
newsarama.com/35506-doomsday-clock-s-future-setting-watchmen-like-length.html

>concrete information about when Milestone will be released will come about in upcoming months
>all the Dark Matter books will be $2.99 and will not have variant covers
>also DC's publisher highlight panel where Didio btfos Marvel
newsarama.com/35486-sdcc-2017-meet-the-dc-comics-publishers-jim-lee-dan-didio-panel.html

>concrete information about when Milestone will be released will come about in a non-concrete amount of time

epic

DAY TWO: FRIDAY

>YOUNG ANIMAL - DCU Crossover in January For a ‘New Status Quo’
newsarama.com/35524-young-animals-to-crossover-with-dcu-in-new-2018-title.html

>DC First Look - DARK NIGHTS: METAL's DARK JUSTICE LEAGUE
newsarama.com/35522-first-look-metal-s-dark-justice-league.html

>Lemire's new ongoing for DC is Terrifically
>Art by Ivan Reis
newsarama.com/35541-ff-style-family-of-superheroes-with-dc-s-the-terrifics.html

>LEMIRE Writing HAWKMAN FOUND (And Possible A HAWKMAN Ongoing Later...)
>The one-shot, part of the Dark Nights: Metal event, is specifically framed as a sequel to November 8's Batman Lost.
>Pencils by Bryan Hitch and inks by Kevin Nowlan
newsarama.com/35542-lemire-writing-hawkman-found-and-possible-a-hawkman-ongoing-later.html

>DC Swears Off Variants For DARK MATTER Titles, Draws Line at $2.99
newsarama.com/35545-dc-swears-off-variants-for-dark-matter-titles-draws-line-at-2-99.html

>DC's DUKE THOMAS Finally Gets a Codename ... and His Own Ongoing Series
newsarama.com/35544-dc-duke-thomas-gets-own-ongoing-series-and-codename.html

Other relevant links to panels/interviews
>SCOTT SNYDER Reveals the 'Really Simple' Plot of DARK NIGHTS: METAL
youtube.com/watch?v=6JFFZ6VqNXI

>SDCC 2017: DC Universe REBIRTH Panel
newsarama.com/35518-sdcc-2017-dc-universe-rebirth-panel.html
cbr.com/dc-universe-rebirth-sdcc-2017/

>SDCC 2017: DC's DARK NIGHTS: METAL and DARK MATTER Panel
newsarama.com/35529-sdcc-2017-dc-s-dark-nights-metal-and-dark-matter.html
cbr.com/sdcc-dark-knights-metal/

I'll update this tomorrow when I (or someone else) makes a new thread.
Some notes:
CBR coverage of the panels is more extensive.
I'll post more interviews and stuff from IGN/YouTube/other sites, look out for that in this post's replies of you're interested.

>>also announced Arkham Asylum 2 in Batman #666 setting with Chris Burnham
cringe

Classic Geoff!

> also announced Arkham Asylum 2 in Batman #666 setting with Chris Burnham

there are two kinds of people: Those who are hype as fuck for this and those who are wrong

I kind of liked Lark. Better than THE SIGNAL!

I was just thinking this

Anyways all star Sqaurdon as well.

My problem is the name sounds like a terrible cash-in.

But I'm into it if the idea is just to explore a bunch of the villains introduced in #666.

IGN interviews
>Scott Snyder talks about Metal
ign.com/videos/2017/07/21/dark-knights-metal-teaser-with-scott-snyder-at-sdcc-2017-ign-access

>Tom King talks about Batman
ign.com/videos/2017/07/21/batmans-future-with-tom-king-at-sdcc-2017-ign-access

CWverse Trailer

youtube.com/watch?v=7dM8dI_-P9o

The title is for sales, but the idea is fine. Might just be one of those Damian stories he mentioned wanting to get to one day.

I have no interest in this but I was really happy to hear they've publicly acknowledged Isabella's original comics as their influence and even sought his input for the show.

From his blog:
>I confess part of my disillusionment with those comics sites is that they don’t seem interested in my work. I thought it was very cool that I was invited to speak with the writers of the new Black Lightning show coming to the CW. I didn’t think respect like that had become commonplace in our industry.

>Dark Justice League
Promo art by Sejic

You forgot Young Animal under Vertigo staff, and a new Dark Matter title for next year called Brimstone by Jeff Lemire and Philip Tan.

Justin Jordan's doing Brimstone, not Lemire.

I'm glad they're getting on with something new as opposed to out another shitty teen titans book.

What is this shit? We should've had a couple of more Batman solos and another teen titans book instead.

Geoff Johns ideas are recycled shit.

>cash in
How is it a fucking cash in when they get an actually good writer this time? Unlike the uncreative hack writing the Watchmen crossover.

who drew this???

Everyone is gonna whine about this but it's probably the first actually interesting addition to the Batfamily in decades.

It's not just yet another Robin or Batgirl, it's not a thinly veiled Totally Not Robin like "Lark" or "Bluebird" or whatever the fuck her name was, and he has his own niche to fill. Also We Are Robin is probably the most underrated DCYou book by a long shot.

Not too excited since it's a totally unknown writer and to be honest his niche isn't all that inspired but if you're gonna add a new Batfam character, this is the way to do it.

It's not quite as bad as Before Watchmen or Civil War II but it's still just riding on the success of a graphic novel from decades ago.

>evil Aquabatman is a sexy lady pirate

goddammit

They should bring back the Forgotten Heroes

>Animal Man
>Cave Carson
>Dolphin
>Immortal Man
>Rick Flagg
>Rip Hunter

what do you mean Bring Back?

>Not too excited since it's a totally unknown writer
He's from Snyder's workshop and Snyder's co-writing this. I'm interested enough to give it a shot.

Most people think of the video game rather than the GN when someone mentions Arkham Asylum. If it was a cash in, DC would've got Tynion or Tomasi to write it. It's as much a cash in as Moore's and O'Neil's upcoming LoEG is.

Only real takeaway from the Vertigo panel is DC playing coy on what they'll do for the anniversary

What about these D-listers?

I thought it was Snyder writing it. My excitement dropped completely now.

Oh yeah, the 25th anniversary is next year right?

I meant the concept, of course.

Who would be on the team now, considering all of those guys have been brought back in a pretty big way?

Voting for Tex Thomson.

Snyder's workshop pals haven't exactly had a stellar track record so far with Tynion and Bennett.

The AA GN is still one of the consistently best-selling comics. It's just behind Watchmen, TDKR and Killing Joke as the most common OGN you'll see everywhere.

And like I said, I'm interested because I like Morrison and Burnham and I foresee it being Arkham Asylum in-name-only. But the name is blatantly there to cash-in on the popularity of Arkham Asylum.

It reminds me of the dearth of Kickstarter games where they get old developers to make another game exactly like one of their classics.

>written with a DC Talent Workshop alum named Tony Patrick

his Black Mask mini X'ED was genuinely good. someone should do a storytime.

nobody should own up to that trash

>not a comic that isn't shit
>not a batman comic
>not an event comic

Not gonna happen, bucko

>Who would be on the team now, considering all of those guys have been brought back in a pretty big way?
Anthro maybe?
Captain Comet would be nice.
The Heckler
Lagoon Boy
Charlton Son of Vulcan

>Lagoon Boy
My favorite D-Lister

Simon Dark, Vext and Anya Savenlovich

I forgot his name, Capullo? He's Snyder's BFF.

They are Batmen from the dark Multiverse who defeated certain members of the Justice League from their universe.

Doomsday looking Batman is a Batmam who was infected by a Doomsdau virus while trying to revive Superman, the Flash looking Batman is a Batman who defeated the Flash of his universe and has vents in his face just because the artist felt like it.

There's another Batman who they didn't show called "The Bat who laughs"

This really truly is the most casual post on Sup Forums. It's tough to be more casual than a scott snyder fan. but not knowing who greg capullo or what his art looks like, which even those casual scott snyder fans would know, is pretty fucking casual.

Haha first they ditched Lark because it wouldn't be a catchy title, then they still stick "Batman" in front of it to push copies.

They must know that Duke has zero fans, but have already promised Snyder a solo. It's Talon all over again, except this time it'll attract more racists (he's a shitty character regardless).

I'm pretty sure it's not Capullo, even though he's drawing the event.

Capullo designed those characters but they didn't mention who drew that.

what happened to Talon

Decades? Give me a fucking break it's a black Robin dressed like a Power Ranger.

The character fundamentally undermine's Batman's character by making it look like he's using urban youth as a bright yellow human shield from bullets, whilst bringing up unfortunate issues about race and privilege that aren't at all suited for a monthly superhero comic. Robin only works when he's a surrogate son/symbol of Bruce's lost youth.

Stupid OC Snyder wedged into the Bat mythos after Court of Owls. They gave him a solo and it got canceled pretty quick. This time they waited longer before the solo, but once again failed to create an interesting character so it'll just limp to a trade or two and get canned.

>The character fundamentally undermine's Batman's character by making it look like he's using urban youth as a bright yellow human shield from bullets
I agree, only white kids that Bruce adopts deserve to be Robin and have an ongoing. I can like girls too, they are extremely waifuable, those 16 year olds.

>whilst bringing up unfortunate issues about race and privilege that aren't at all suited for a monthly superhero comic.
Don't read 80s bat comics my dude, or 80s comics in general.

Gotham Girl is a way better addition to the Batfam.

Gotham Girl is literally a plot device and a cheap "muh feels" bait.

Sorry for misreading

Likely Sejic

>no new rebirth titles

but why?

also the comics industry cannot sustain a "dark matter" line DC, most people just get characters they are familar with.

Because most of the current ones are selling well and Didio's said before they don't want to overload the market.

how does a new superhero line not overload the market?

i give it a year till they just bring the successful new titles under rebirth

I feel like it's a niche experimental line and audience for it are people who are fans of the creators. So it could work without cannibalizing the main line. Also they're probably looking to cancel Rebirth stuff and replace it with other books until Legion/Shazam/JSA and other stuff comes back.

Any news on Power Girl? No? Okay..