SEGA Strikes Deal with IDW to Publish New Sonic Comics

IDW got the license, starting in 2018.

cbr.com/sega-idw-announce-sonic-comics/

>SEGA and IDW Publishing have announced a partnership to produce new comics based on the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise as soon as 2018. The news follows the recent termination of SEGA’s contract with Archie Comics, which housed several Sonic comic book titles over the last 20 years.

>“Creative teams are currently being formed,” teases an official press release, “and a publishing plan is now underway with more details to come at a later date. Writers and artists will be bringing their considerable talents to the comic book world of Sonic.”

>“We’ve been speaking with beloved Sonic fan-favorite creators and new creators alike, and are excited to be able to spread specifics about our plans for the comic in the near future,” Chris Ryall, IDW’s Chief Creative Officer, said upon the announcement.

>“We are ecstatic about this partnership with IDW,” Ivo Gerscovich, Chief Brand Officer for Sonic the Hedgehog, said. “We know they’ll serve as a good home for the new adventures of Sonic, his friends, and foes.”

That's awesome.
If its even half as good as their Transformers comics it will be great.

Watch Penders try to weasel in the staff

pls no crossover with the forbidden show

Is this better or worse than Archie?
I mean, of course it's better, but by how much?

Is this the end of Archie? Do people even care about Archie comics that aren't Sonic?

So is it gonna be a reboot? Always wanted to read the Archie comics, but it would take me forever to catch up.

Who do you think would be a good fit for this writing wise?

Nah, Penders is done with Sonic. He has his own thing now, which is completely original.

Dear IDW pls call Tyson Hesse

But can Tyson Hesse continue with his comic with IDW?

Please?

So are they going to bring in a new set of writers, or are they gonna bring some of the old ones back?

Considering Sega has him doing work for them with the Sonic Mania stuff, his chances are probably good. Unless they want to keep him to themselves.

What will become of Ian Flynn and the other guys?

So far, we don't know.

Doesn't Flynn work on a IDW comic or did writing there at one point?

One has to wonder if they'll go for a reboot again.

I imagine they will.

I hope so. I want that dude to be happy

>We've been speaking with beloved Sonic fan-favorite creators and new creators alike

Looks like they're considering both.

It'll be a reboot. I have a hard time imagining theyd continue with another company's content. Best start fresh for new readers.

PFFTHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Everyone called it!

TMNT/Sonic crossover when?

>Not DC

FUCK

I WANT SONIC TO RACE ROAD RUNNER AND FLASH

It'll be a reboot but IDW have a good habit of also referencing stuff from every single thing that a property's ever touched.

I'd say they'll start out careful like and focus on mostly game stuff, but expect to see references here and there.

Honestly really happy that IDW is the one who got it, now at least there's a chance for a happy ending to the series.

Agreed, a lot of love is put into Transformers

>thinking the big two has any interest in licensed comics not owned by Warner or Disney

>Yfw IDW crosses something over with Sonic in general

yes,yes!!some good news for a change

They also gotta walk eggshells so Penders doesn't try and sue them again.

By a lot, IDW is one of the best publishers in the world right now, they'll pump out a ton of classic collections soon too

To the surprise of absolutely no one.

I really hope this new series is good, but given SEGA's desperation to be Disney-lite, I don't have high hopes.

Has Penders commented on this? Tell me, does he think IDW will contact him?

Eehh, better or worse is still not going to be decent.

Will IDW be able to follow the rules?

lol, fucking , is this even TMNT

There will be one but not another

I can't but there was accordingsome

Fuck off shill.

I hope they just hire all the artists back. They're pretty much all great.

this is nice,i hope they keep some of the current staff of the archie comics version

He's more than likely realized he can't really touch Sonic anymore at this point. They're not using his characters anymore, they're under a completely new company, and nobody wants to work with him.

IDW really botched MLP tho.

>IDW
CALLED IT!
They are the nostalgia factory, and getting Sonic is their wet dream next to Star Wars.

>No more Sally
>No more Antoine
>No more Snivley
>No more Rotor
>No more Rabbot
>No more of anything from SatAM

The last remenants of the early americanisation has been cleansed, how does it feel? In all fairness and honesty though, the companies IDW partners up with tend to be fairly hands off creatively according to the editors. So it's not out of the question that these characters will appear, it's just that I doubt they'll be important anymore.

Fuck Penders. And further more fuck Bollers for that Xorda bullshit.

>Post yfw Sonic/Transformers crossover
>Post yfw Sonic/TMNT crossover
>Post yfw Sonic/Pony Show crossover

>thinking you're rid of them

lol idiot who do you think IDW is?

I actually doubt there will be a Sonic/MLP crossover.

>We’ve been speaking with beloved Sonic fan-favorite creators
Guess who's back?
Back again.

Honestly I want this just to see the blow back and possible implications.

>Post yfw Sonic/Pony Show crossover
blahblahblah AnimatedJames

Why? So long as they don't use pender's characters they'll be fine.

I had a lot of fond memories of Sonic satAM.

I hope they do something with it.

If Penders were to try and cause any aggro again, would he likely get destroyed this time now that the comic is in the hands of a bigger, more competent company?

>No more Snivley
fuck you faggot

>how does it feel?
Well, I liked those characters, so it's kind of a bummer. But hey, maybe the new supporting cast will be good too, we'll have to see.

The major concern I have is if IDW will make an equivalent to the Egg Bosses. Eggman is entertaining and all, but variation is needed to keep things from getting stale.

Penders won't even pretend to fuck with IDW, they are backed by Hasbro money.

But they said BELOVED.

Bluntly put? Yes. And it will be hilarious to watch.

its not like they've were in the archie comic or anything

>It'll be a reboot but IDW have a good habit of also referencing stuff from every single thing that a property's ever touched.
It'll be up to SEGA to see what they'll be allowed to touch. Flynn wanted to reference tons of other parts of Sonic that weren't allowed by SEGA.

Never really was interested in the characters outside the games, so I'm all for a fresh start.

I'm just kinda disappointed that we'll never get Doctor Ivo Robotnik.

Like...

Eggman should be what Sonic calls him. Robotnik should never call himself Eggman.

But will the Freedom Fighters be in it?

But the archie comics is gone.

Ken Penders has no power to sue IDW if they start fresh

Sweet. You know they'll hire Ian. And probably Tyson. This is great.

And the best part? Doors open for other Sega IPs now.

I want Ken to sue just to get assraped by IDW

>Robotnik should never call himself Eggman.
The idea is that he took the name people mocked him for and turned it into something to be feared

All they need to do is lure him in, get him to use the characters people like once, and then spring the trap by having all the rights go to IDW through legal kung-fu.

>IDW got the license

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

I do feel bad that the Archie comics never got a proper conclusion. 24 years and they could've at least let them get to #300 and a sendoff. Oh well.

I expect the IDW comics will have to adhere much more strongly to Sega's standards. Archie got away with doing whatever they wanted for a while, but I'm sure they'll keep a close eye on IDW.

imagine if idw used the chance to write sonic again to fucking take all of "penders characters" from him via legally binding contract.

Based on this I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that Flynn is probably going to be one of those 'fan favorite creators' who will be involved in the IDW Sonic. Probably explains why he's given approximately zero fucks about the whole thing.

Also, Ian already works for them on the Nick TMNT books.

Its pretty much 100% guaranteed at this point.

BUT WILL THE FREEDOM FIGHTERS BE IN IT

I want another NiGHTS comic. I want Claire and Elliot to be actual characters.

Hell, I'd be downfor a shared SEGA Universe.

>Sonic races Crazy Taxi

It's always been his name westfag

I can only hope, because honestly, it would be so fucking easy to do.

>I expect the IDW comics will have to adhere much more strongly to Sega's standards. Archie got away with doing whatever they wanted for a while, but I'm sure they'll keep a close eye on IDW.

Which kinda sucks since IDW is good with doing whatever they want with Transformers.

There's no way in fucking hell a company would let in a person who just tried to sue them for a dozen of their characters

Why are you calling ME that and not the dude who was complaining about it in the first place?

>three threads later
>we're still fucking arguing about a character's name

Never change, Sup Forums. The autism of Sup Forums combined with the autism of Sonic is truly inspiring.

NiGHTS, Ecco, House of the Dead, Vectorman Phantasy Star...sky is literally the limit.

I would bet money on no. I think that era is officially over.

Can we please stop pretending that Sonic Comics are any good? Sonic sucks and the Sega Team characters are flatter than Star Fox characters. Also if you think that this new comic won't have the annoying intrusive restrictive Sega Mandates then you are deluded.

I can see the same old problems rising back up. A bunch of Literally Who OC characters taking center stage because you cannot do much with Sonic Team characters. And when you put it into perspective I'm glad Nintendo never gave the Mario license for any of these junk comics.

If you expect Sonic IDW to somehow even rival TMNT IDW then you are a hell of a dumb motherfucker.

No one thought Sanda and Gaira would fight Godzilla. But IDW made it happened.

B E S T

P O S S I B L E

O U T C O M E

(You)

I WANT FUCKING ASTAL.

IDW puts up big sign that says "No Kens Allowed". Then proceeds to hire another guy with the name Ken so he can't weasel his was in.
They're allowed to have one.

Giving the book to Flynn guarantees some sales, because Archie Sonic fans who not unjustly see him him as the golden boy savior of that series will come flocking. I'd certainly be among that crowd.

>Classic Phantasy Star IDW comic

My god

Guh huh yuh!

(You)

Sonic/MLP crossover.

IDW is the god of reprints. You can bet your ass if they can make it happen from a legal standpoint, the classic shit will get trades.

Mega Drive is almost a certainty.

Sonic is a CROSSOVER WHORE. He is the only franchise I can think of that crosses over with everything. I mean everything. To the point there's no merit in him. Like seeing Sonic crossover into something just doesn't feel special. It doesn't help Sonic is still a joke of the videogame industry. So being a shallow crossover whore mixed with a lousy standing of bad quality for the games? Terrible end results.

YOU HAVE YOUR ASTAL

Vectorman, Chuchu Rocket, Burning Rangers, and Toejam and Earl existing in the same cosmic space

My God.

>yfw Sonic/Transformers crossover

eh I'd say the odds are actually pretty decent that at least some of the Archie characters will return, alongside some new OG characters, since while I'm assuming that SEGA will be less restrictive with IDW than they were with Archie(worth remembering that a lot of the restrictions Archie had for the Sonic comics in it's last decade were basically SEGA punishing Archie for a lot of the screwups they made during the Penders era and increased them in the leadup to the Pendering), it'll still be easier to do actual stories with OG characters than the ones from the games

>I expect the IDW comics will have to adhere much more strongly to Sega's standards. Archie got away with doing whatever they wanted for a while, but I'm sure they'll keep a close eye on IDW.
actually it'll probably be the opposite as I mentioned above

How about Sonic/Transformers crossover?

............. My god. If only Sally was still around.

Throw in Virtual On.