IDW Sonic

IDW will start doing a Sonic the Hedgehog comic in 2018.

Other urls found in this thread:

spriters-resource.com/arcade/gradius4/sheet/46081/
quora.com/Do-companies-get-sued-for-using-fonts-illegally
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It might not be possible but I hope this opens up the possibility for the last Sonic Mega Drive issue to be released.

Don't get your hopes up.

IDW will use the lore from Sonic games and nothing else. Nothing from Archie comics will turn up at all.

You say that like it's bad.

huh, well that didn't take long

It's not, just some anons are very tied to the Archie lore and are bound to be disappointed. IDW will basically start an entirely new story, think of it as an alternate version I guess.

They probably won't even introduce new characters. There are enough in the games to satisfy story telling I think.

I kinda hope they take on Ian Flynn as a writer again. He has been doing a good job with the comic. It would also be nice to see some of the better Sonic artists come on over for the new comic. Especially Tyson Hesse. I also like Ben Bates but he seems to have stopped doing comics, at least for a while.

But at the same time there is such a huge fan base for the freedom fighters that it might be a good idea to keep the team around in the comics. But at the same time it might be best to start with a clean slate. I would be cool with them adapting the games and throwing in some original stuff as well. Expand on the original games like they started doing. The Archie comic ended in the middle of an adaptation of Sonic CD.

I think they'll adapt the games and expand from there.

Using any Archie stuff is murky legal territory, so easier just to ignore it all and start fresh.

It is a pretty good way to gauge the stance the comic is going to take. Fans of sonic want to see the freedom fighters, more than just sonic & eggman in green hill zone, ian flynn, all that good shit.

We'll know just from the previews whether they're in Egoraptor's camp and just wants to make a comic distancing itself as far away from everything related to sonic as possible.

12 issues long Big the cat comic series. Think about it.

SEGA literally announced this as "wanting to take the series in a different direction". So whatever they're hoping for, it's nothing like Megadrive, nothing like Universe and nothing like the main comic.

>IDW

Huh. Things actually turned about better than expected.

But it seemed like Mega Drive was doing really great so I don't see why they wouldn't want to ride that gravy train. It's basically what if they found an unreleased 90's Sonic game from the Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic CD and Sonic3/Sonic and Knuckles era.

So I was going through the archives and noticed something interesting about this picture.

He's using the fucking font from Gradius 3.

spriters-resource.com/arcade/gradius4/sheet/46081/

He just ripped it straight off, I've played that game a thousand times. Sadly American copyright laws aren't my expertise, but I'm pretty sure unlicensed use of a font is an invasion of intellectual property.

quora.com/Do-companies-get-sued-for-using-fonts-illegally

Thats a good thing

It may be a free font online that copies the style, that is very commonplace. They sometimes just have very slight differences from the original that you would not notice unless you looked very closely.

does that mean Honey can show up?

I just want Metal Sonic. Is that really so much to ask for?

someone should throw a paint ballon at the table

if it follows this kind of format and doesn't bring back those shitty terror... freedom fighter fan characters I might start picking it up

Metal Sonic is a game character so all but guaranteed you chode

Thats Sonic Mania

But Mega Drive is also that but in comic form.

that was fast

So does this mean no more Snively?

Thank god the shitty convoluted OC fueled Archie series is gone. Thank you Ken Penders, god bless your soul.

How does this man have the money to afford a table at Comic-Con?

They're starting fresh, right? Archie lore is a mess and I just want to put all of it behind me.

It does seem likely that they're going to start fresh. But I suppose we will hear more in the coming months.

>he could actually afford a table, let alone any decals
so, did anyone actually stop by?

> Penders is already talking about suing IDW
Just a little more until he gets fucked in the ass.

IDW is a premier publisher.

He is?!

can't wait for him to become the Brendan Fraiser of the comics industry

I really hope so to, I just want to see him unhinged with bullshit mandates on Sonic, like what he did during golden era (170-200 ish).

Sonic has been a solid money maker for Archie for years and the fact that Flynn not only kept it afloat up to almost 300 issue, but also almost exclusively kept afloat Sonic Universe up to 100 issues will give him good chances.

Wasn't he just telling people on Twitter that IDW can't pulish and pre-2005 material or something like that?

What the fuck could he possibly sue them about?

The worst they can make is reprint enchiladas OCs.

>visit his Twitter for the first time today
>all the people still keeping up with him are furries
Checks out.

That's not what he means. Like said, he's just letting everyone know that IDW can't use any of his characters without paying him. Which is stupid, because IDW probably won't want anything from the old universe anyways.

Here's the tweets so people can see.

I don't think he said anything about suing. He was just saying that there won't be any Penders characters in IDW's comic unless if they pay him. As if they'd even want to use his characters in the first place. He was also bragging that his take on Sonic would sell better.

Why the fuck is Mike Tyson on the poster? Why is he wearing a space suit?

Oh no, how will they ever manage?

He's not exactly wrong, IDW love their reprints. It's probably how the make most of their money frankly.

Penders is such a terrible artist. He ruined the comics for years, and yet it was still allowed to exist long enough to redeem itself

I really want Flynn to be given the chance to write this property for a publisher that isn't going to fuck him around over and over again. A Flynn run where he's not constrained by trying to clean up the shit Penders dumped on the floor of the Sonic canon could be tremendous.

And like said, even without the Archie characters there are a fuckload of characters in the official games that could fill out a massive cast.

It would be great if they went the route of adapting all of the games in chronological order, making tweaks to the story as they go so it all flows as one narrative with original arcs and characters developing as they go along.

I really want to see new adaptations of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure 2.

Why not just have the ceiling drop down and squish him

>only agree to do the mlp comic because they don't want to lose transformers
>do a comic for the only property with an even more autistic fandom.

Hoooly shit

I did not fucking see this coming

Honestly, I'll be surprised if IDW doesn't at least reprint collections of the post-reboot Archie run. It'd be a quick way to make back some of the money on the license.

Well, I mean, this IS Sonic we're talking about...

I wouldn't say the Sonic fanbase is more autistic, but that's only because I've seen the kind of shit that hides within the MLP fanbase
>Someone wrote a story about some anthro with long toenails scraping out brain matter from someone's head and eating it
>FROM the nails

>I would totally win if I tried, you guys

I am still mad at myself for not picking up that snake themed classic horror anthology.

I had a kek

He wouldn't dare to try it for two reasons.

1. Against a company that isn't completely incompetent, he would get fucked in the ass.

2. Any further legal shit might jeopardize the already tenuous ownership he has of "his" characters.

>Sega COULD just keep the numbering and continue, as they own all rights and have published the comics without Archie's consent in other territories.
>but they won't
>They COULD publish the finished, unpublished issues.
>but they won't

Why's it gotta be like this.

Would read.

>IDW
oh joy, even more characters and mini plots that eventually lead to no meaning for the overall comic

You misunderstand, there won't be an overall comic anymore. It's just gonna be minis and ads for new games forever.

>Focke-Wulf

I grew up with and love the comics but I do enjoy seeing the butthurt that this era of Sonic is finally over.

Who are the SatAM/Adventures characters licensed under? It'd be nice to see them as a spin-off team, kind of like the Chaotix. Sonic and friends can have their own vidya tie-in adventures, while Team Sally can have original adventures or somehting

what about Mega Man?

Don't think there are any plans since it's Capcom related. But Udon is coloring the Mega Man Megamix comic so that's something.

That's horseshit. IDW takes all iterations into account when it makes comics. Just look at their turtles. It takes a lot of inspirations from several iterations.

>SatAM
ew

It also depends on what kind of restraints SEGA are putting on them.

This looks Getter as fuck. I dig it.

That is literally all it depends on. Without restriction it would be a matter of time until some references or outright content gets taken from Archieverse. IDW is both lazy in nicking shit from others but tuned-in in terms of what fans want. Basically they're the perfect company for adaption of large or older properties.
Again, just look at their turtles stuff. Satisfying.

Though the turtles have more meat to pick from. Sure Sonic has the games and the cartoons/anime and other comics such as Fleetway. But I am guessing SEGA probably only wants them to use game characters. That is probably enough for a comic but then IDW can't pick and choose as nicely as they can with the TMNT comic.

SEGA hates the Freedom Fighters, they're not coming back you autists.

Ariga is the best. He has good taste in manga and his Pokemon designs are tight.

have they ever officially stated that?
it seems like something they would be indifferent about as long as they arent in the games

After the reboot, Sega wanted Archie to stop using the Freedom Fighters, too, and Archie had to beg and plead consistently to get Sega to let them keep them.

>tfw you only wanted Honey and Nicole (Lynx) to make through.
I feel terrible.

Honey's a Sonic the Figthers character, she still has a second chance. I didn't even like Archie Honey to be honest

My fear is that Sega will want them to use only the most recent characters and forbid using characters like Bark, Mighty, etc.

Question: What would happen if Penders died? Would the licences for "his" characters go to his family or be nullified?

Only one way to find out.

They'd almost certainly be considered part of his estate and go to his wife.

Take one for the team, user. Find your biggest carving knife and go meet him.

The SatAM,Boom, and AoStH characters are pure Sega.

Sonic X isn't and Underground is a gray area.

Does Penders really not realize that IDW nor any sane comic company for that matter will ever want to deal with him after that shit between him and Archie?

This.
Penders is the posterboy for cognitive dissonance.

I was hoping there was some small chance that Archie could continue their Mega Man comic with Sonic gone from them but this thing from Udon pretty much destroys that. On the other hand, I haven't read Megamix yet so this will be a good time to start.

I guess right now, I just want IDW to finish the trades for the post-reboot Sonic issues and somehow swing Capcom into letting them release Worlds Unite Vol. 3.

I guess they would go to someone in his family who would probably attempt to sell them to Sega because what else would they do with them?

Mega Man was a disaster sales wise, that's why we got the second crossover in the first place and why we never got a series for X.

Udon's a masterpiece in comparison, you can't go wrong picking it. I'm going to double dip because the colors look amazing.

I'm looking forward to Mastermix, it's just that Archie's take on it was very good and it's mostly what got me into Mega Man.

I do have the second and third volumes each of Megamix and Gigamix but neither of the first volumes and I don't want to just start from volume 2. I have flipped through them a few times, the artwork looks very good and I will definitely be buying this colorized version when it comes out.

>The SatAM,Boom, and AoStH characters are pure Sega.

To be more specific, AoStH, SatAM, and the Archie and IDW Sonic comics (aside from the Pendered stuff) are specifically owned by Sega of America. This means that characters and concepts from those can appear in any game published (e.g. Spinball, Mean Bean Machine) by or any show or other material (e.g. the IDW comic) licensed by SoA. However, it also means that Sega's Japanese and European branches can't make anything with these characters and concepts, instead importing what SoA makes or licenses (e.g. the Archie comic eventually came to Europe years after the Fleetway comic got cancelled; Spinball and [eventually, by way of Sonic Mega Collection] Mean Bean Machine got exported to the Japanese market).

Boom, on the other hand, is owned by SoJ. This means that characters and concepts from this series can appear in material made or licensed by SoJ's child companies (e.g. the Archie comic) , as well as anything made or licensed by SoJ (e.g. the actual show, a Japanese-French co-production; Sticks appearing in one of the Mario and Sonic Olympics games).

Well the Udon stuff is just old material being split up and re-released in color so it wouldn't really HAVE to stop a Mega Man comic. But Archie's Mega Man comic went on an endless hiatus for a reason I would assume.

I hope so

So, all the Archie comics are NOT collected, in trades, correct? Especially the last few comics I'm sure aren't collected. Is there a list of what Sonic issues are not in any collections?

I've got the Sonic Selects and a few archives because I prefer reading hard copies to digital, so I'm just curious what the holes in my reading will be if I decide to finish it up.

She probably can, but the question is if she will.

Cream's been in a few games, so I'm sure she's safe, but does this mean no Vanilla any more? She was half the reason I got into the comics in the first place. Any chance of getting a new MILF at least? I'd settle for the twin-quadruplet bandicoots from the Boom show, I guess.

Vanilla was introduced in Sonic Advance 2, the same game as Cream. In fact, that rescuing her was Cream's motivation.