Why was he such a good joker again? He doesn't tell jokes, he isn't silly or cartoon-like as the joker is meant to be...

Why was he such a good joker again? He doesn't tell jokes, he isn't silly or cartoon-like as the joker is meant to be. He was a good actor, but seriously he ruined the portrayal of the joker and this can been seen as recently as Suicide Squad. He should of played someone else, the joker in this film is an entirely separate character to what it should be.

Yeah, I mean, his appearance could have been toned down a bit... but conceptually, gangster Joker is miles above glorified homeland terrorist Joker.

Nolanman tried to be a gritty & grounded crime epic, which made it about as silly as the average Silver Age story.

This pretty much, Joker is a gangster through and throughout. Even with Jared Leto fucking that up it still holds true.

So? Ledger's Joker was awesome, who cares if it isn't completely faithful to the comics? He was the perfect Joker for that universe.

Because he died.

>doesn't tell any jokes, isn't silly
The pencil trick, him dressing as a nurse to get close to Harvey, SLaughter is the Best Medicine, setting a fire truck on fire.

What did you want? Knock knock jokes?

Epic!

>He doesn't tell jokes
yeah he does

The best Joker I've ever seen since Heath Ledger is this middle-aged cosplayer guy. He almost looks like he could have his own movie just in that costume alone.

>doesn't tell jokes

HELLO BEAUTIFUL

hell even him wearing a clown mask over his clown makeup in the opening scene serves as a joke

>Why was he such a good joker again?
Because he drove the story as the villain arguably more so than the protagonist did. He was well written, well acted and carried the weight the director wanted him to
>He doesn't tell jokes
He tells a lot of jokes. His introduction scene with the mob bosses, when he tells Bats to watch his wording before dropping Rachel out the window, when he's in the hospital with Dent and then the hospital's demolition, when he's being interrogated, during the chase scene...

just because he doesn't quip like a modern MCU movie doesn't mean he doesn't joke.
> he isn't silly or cartoon-like as the joker is meant to be
He's extremely silly... cartoon like? No, because this isn't a fucking cartoon.
>Joker is a gangster through and throughout.
He literally took control of and immediately disbanded the mob scene while at the same time fucking over Bruce. I don't know if we even watched the same movie if you don't think this Joker was a gangster.

This right here is why I don't trust people about movies. Whether they like this Joker or not, all the credit/blame goesw on Ledger, nevermind Nolan, Goyer or whoever did the costume and makeup.

Him putting a smoke bomb in the accountant's mouth and playing it off like it was an actual grenade.
His play on words "Let's not Blow this out of proportion" while he shows that his coat is lined with bombs
>this suit wasn't cheap, you should know, you bought it!

>he ruined the portrayal of the joker
how do you ruin a personal interpretation? it's good because he was different and people liked that. Leto tried to ride the line but ended up falling off the mining cart in sheer appearance. if you took one look at the screenshot that was plastered all over the internet a year before this movie came out and said "yes this is what i want" then i'm not convinced your opinion is to be trusted on the situation

The thing is he does make jokes, they're just not played for laughs. Which is either genius because it's unsettling or stupid because jokes are supposed to be funny.

the pencil joke was funny as fuck

I meant the joker is a gangster as in he makes a good gangster and it fits his character.

Not really, and it certainly wasn't played for laughs, it was used to show just how careless he is about killing.

>What did you want? Knock knock jokes?
I kind of think he should have told at least one more traditional joke to contrast with the otther jokes.

>Btaman, Knock Knock
>come in
>....
Honestly, this would have been pretty halarious, but I found Joker's humor to be great given the tone of the movie, he was literally the only good thing in that whole movie

How the fuck is he not a "good gangster"? But the middle of the movie he ran organized crime in Gotham. Dude was literally - LITERALLY - sitting on a mountain of mob cash. He's the exact over the top, larger than life mob boss that Batman consistently goes up against - Penguin, Black Mask, Falcone.

>not really

It was funny. If you didn't like it that's OK, given the critical acclaim for this movie, especially its Joker, i'd say you're a minority.

That moment when he slides down that mountain of cash was great

>It was funny. If you didn't like it that's OK, given the critical acclaim for this movie, especially its Joker, i'd say you're a minority.
I don't remember the critics going on about how funny the Joker was, user.

I feel like Ledger's Joker made perfect sense withing the Nolanverse batman. Problem is that people see him as the "definitive" Joker portrayal and it was far from it.

Leto Joker's biggest issues weren't the Tattoos , so much as the fact that he was completely inconsequential to the story and could have been removed completely with no one noticing.

In the minority i know but the bit of Leto's Joker shown i did like and asshole Leto may be he is a good actor and i think his biggest problem is while Ledger got an entire movie to play off Batman Joker in SS was nothing more than a glorified Cameo.

This is the reason.

>just because he doesn't quip like a modern MCU movie
The "poor choice of words" example notwithstanding. Personally I didn't really find the pencil thing that funny either. Considering the tone the film was going for, there wasn't anything wrong with the way Ledger played his role, but I consider him to be the Joker the same way I consider Slade from the Teen Titans cartoon to be Deathstroke the Terminator.

SS was also a horrible movie.

Does a joker from a deck of cards tell jokes? No. The joker is a wild card. Hence why his calling card is a playing card.

He's not the jester interpretation of joker. he's the wild card.

Though I do prefer a jester joker who owns a club. Leto was close but he tried to mix the two interpretations and it ended up shitty.

>It was funny. If you didn't like it that's OK, given the critical acclaim for this movie

Nolan was basing him off his first appearance in Batman #1, where he told even fewer jokes than in the Movie. During their first fight, Batman was smiling and joking more than Joker was.

To add to those

>Wearing a clown mask over clown makeup
>Washing his hands after touching Harvey.
>The detonator gag.
>Very poor choice of words!"
>When he stumbles out of the crashed truck, dizzy as fuck and spraying machine gun fire all over the street as he falls comically on his ass or trips over the wire.
>His deadpan "Yeah" when the mob boss asks if he thinks he can just steal from them.
>"Six"
>"I just want my phonecall!"

Did you just want a fucking chattering teeth gag or something OP? Ledger was Joker at his purest. He's a piece of shit, theatrical lying monster whos main goal is essentially that of The Killing Joke. He burns giant piles of money, he goads Batman into killing him the whole movie and he laughs his ass off as he falls to his apparent death.

Contrast this to Nicholson, who only cared about money and his waifu. Who's the real generic gangster in clown paint?

He was a great character,and carries the movie alongside Dent and Gordon, so I don't really care how good of a Joker he was.

Not them, but are you retarded? All they said is most people found it funny (myself included), so if you didn't you're in the minority. That isn't an appeal to anything, it's the truth.

>most people found it funny
Do you have anything to back that up? People liking the movie and this scene doesn't mean they found it funny.

I think he took critical to mean "critics" which, in that case, he is almost right. Even still it's not quite the usage he was looking for.

appeal to authority would be along the lines of "99 percent of scientists agree climate change is man made." While it may be true, and their opinion may be backed, the call it self is not referencing the facts but rather the consensus of the authority about those facts.

In anons case he was simply saying the fact was many people, critically, disagreed. It's not referencing an opinion but rather an observable "metric", even if you disagree with said metric or observation.

>he goads Batman into killing him the whole movie and he laughs his ass off as he falls to his apparent death.
Nicholson sort of does that too though.

>It's not referencing an opinion but rather an observable "metric"
Where the fuck do you people find your observable metric that most people thought this movie was funny? Because that's the last thing I see people say about it or Joker's character.

>should of
Get the fuck out

I don't really give a fuck about that part of my statement user. Because you clearly didn't read the next.

It doesn't matter if it IS a provable metric, or if the metric, if it exists, IS in fact in favor of his argument.

What matters is you called it a an appeal to authority when it isn't. That's all that matters in my reply. You can continue being a fucking spic about things or make yourself great for once.

Exactly, he was as much his own thing as was most of that series. The Nolan verse was Batman divorced from the greater DC universe, and it was fun.

All I can say is that the people I know who have seen this movie found that scene funny. Obviously, I don't have hard evidence for such a thing.