I'm confused

I'm confused.
Is this supposed to be fantasy satire like, say, Army of Darkness?

The animation is excellent but the dialogue is so incredibly cliched, it's baffling. It sounds like something straight out of one of those novels with shirtless dudes on the cover that middle-aged women pick up at the airport. Please, explain.

We have to kill Dracula, there's no other choice!

Warren Ellis is someone who writes in a way that's self-aware about genre tropes without going into self-deprecation. I haven't watched the show but I imagine it's something like that.

>It sounds like something straight out of one of those novels with shirtless dudes on the cover that middle-aged women pick up at the airport.
It's genre fiction, dude. It's not meant to be Shakespeare. It's plot-driven, the dialogue and characters are just window dressing.

The story is all just a vehicle to deliver scenes of a guy slicing a creature from the black lagoon with a barbed whip.

>Warren Ellis is someone who writes in a way that's self-aware about genre tropes without going into self-deprecation

So it's detached and ironic but in a way that isn't immediately reflected in the material itself?

What, you don't like fuckin' goats OP?

That's how the dialogue in the game is.

>the writing doesn't have to be good because it's just a vehicle for the visuals

This notion is the cancer that is killing contemporary cinema, I swear to god!

I wouldn't say ironic. Just saying like "OK, this is a show about a guy who fights Universal horror monsters with a whip in a Conan the Barbarian getup". He doesn't try to elevate himself above what the material is but he doesn't try to do the "wink wink nudge nudge" thing either.

Simplistic writing =/= bad writing.

Film is a visual medium. This means it's equally capable of showing you a story and showing you a spectacle. There's room for both types.

Your story needs to match your visuals, and vice versa.

I hate when people bring that up because that was the result of a terrible translation and wasn't the actual dialogue in the Japanese version.

It's not wink wink but it's not being taken 100% seriously so what the fuck it is?

>Simplistic writing =/= bad writing.

That's certainly true but I'm not convinced at all that the former is the case for Castlevania and not the latter.

I haven't seen the show so I can't judge that, I'm just saying Ellis is usually aware of the type of story he's writing and makes the dialogue appropriate for the tone.

Planetary is high concept so uses more heady dialogue, Authority is an edgelord comic so it uses more naturalistic dialogue, etc.

ALL YOUR WRITING ARE BELONG TO US

>I'm just saying Ellis is usually aware of the type of story he's writing and makes the dialogue appropriate for the tone.

Fair enough.
Watching the Show it just felt to me like the opportunities of great Animation were dragged down by lazy writing.

I find the show completely hilarious. Dont know if its always the intent, but I love it for that.

People don't bring it up because of the writing (which is random as hell but nothing all that bad), they bring it up because of the voice acting.

Except the dracula X chronicles version with the "proper" translation still sounds ridiculous and over the top, the words are just a bit fancier sounding

There's no irony, just cynicism. The part where the Vampire Killer whip is described as an "anointed weapon" to kill demons with. Or how salt and holy water being blessed by an actual priest also harms demons. Trevor is just a worn-down wanderer, he gets more serious at the episodes go on.

I agree,
but it really annoys me that the Show has been so well received and People think it's genuinely great, when really it's just unintentionally comedic. How retarded do you have to be to take this Show at face value?

Fuck off

>capitalizing random words
Are you German?

What about Army of Darkness was supposed to be a satire?

>How retarded do you have to be to take this Show at face value?
I don't know, but apparently you managed to find a way.

Heaven forbid people receive a video game cartoon on the premise of it being well-animated kitsch.

Nip dialogue in general is ridiculous. Makes me wonder why so many like the shit they make when dialogue is cringey as fuck most of the time

>it's supposed to be bad, lol

The sore point is that the games don't have these elements. It's all Ellis. Trevor is a fledgling hunter barely in his twenties, not a jaded man near mid thirties. The Church has a scant role and Sypha was an agent of the church, not some sort of mesh of a gypsy jew and of course, he seems to have just ignored the existence of Grant

It's ridiculous because their writers think they can elevate the stories beyond schlocky fanservice.

>The animation is excellent
Hell no, you can even count the frames sometimes

Jawohl, you have found me out.
I'm currently using Internet Explorer (I know it's shit, but it's the only browser that enables Netflix HD straming) and it randomly capitalizes nouns no matter what language I use (Spanish and French too). What a Piece of shit...

>kitsch.
Oh boy, thank god autism isn't contagious.

Warren Ellis is someone who got worse as the time went by, like Stephen King

Well, the games start in medias res and you're fighting monsters throughout the entire journey, there's no set-up beyond "There's Dracula's forces, get 'em". No backstories, character motivations or pasts, anything to bring in a larger universe into the conflict itself. It's just simple action games for the most part, until the mid-90s. I worry there's even less to work with if they try to adapt the first two games.

>The animation is excellent [by American standards for animated shows]

There.

>like Stephen King

My god, this!
The drop in quality from the first dark tower book to the second is mind-blowing.
If my work as an adult with decades of experience sounded like bad fanfiction of something I wrote in my late teens / early twenties, I'd be seriously embarassed.

Yes! I knew it! I freakin love this game!

>Guess the minority Radio Show skit

This sounds fun but in Germany you'd immediately get arrested for hate crime. Parliament recently passed a law that effectively abolishes free speech on the Internet. Hopefully, they'll bllock Sup Forums and I can finally get off this ride and do something productive with my life.

>he seems to have just ignored the existence of Grant
To be fair, konami was guilty of this too. Grant is easily the most forgettable character of the three partners, with the only real advantage he has over alucard being that you can take him down either route to the castle and he doesn't need whip upgrades to be useful in a fight

Better