Captain Underpants

why did he fail?

youtube.com/watch?v=BJgL9pbDLBE

Looks extremely fun, but I guess they overestimated the reach of the brand for modern audiences and it wasn't particularly appealing to new audiences.

Because everyone who read the books as a kid doesn't even remember it since it was like a one month fad in most places?

to be fair the movie hasn't finished being released internationally yet, so it's not quite a failure yet

No one knows about him outside of USA

Sabotage

doesn't look like my kind of fun, looks pretty shit

Aw, what's that, little thing, are you offended by people having opinions? Well, here's a (You).

Captain Underpants struck a major chord with people born in the mid to late 90s, i.e. people who are young adults currently. His relevance waned significantly during that weirdly long hiatus Dav took.

This movie wasn't marketed at the old fans but insead sought to reintroduce Captain Underpants to a younger generation. I'm not talking about nostalgia bait, either, I mean that they subtly overhauled the characters to be more in line with everything else. The voice actors were a huge mistake, too. I don't actually want kids to voice kids in a movie like this, but would it have killed them to get an actual professional voice actor to a cartoon kid voice? George and Harold sound like they've been dubbed over, like those early Newground videos where people would dub standup over shit like Naruto, for some reason.

It wasn't shit, it was just poorly marketed. Poorly timed too, at that.

Looks lame at a glance but I keep hearing how great it is. But I can never summon up the time or energy to actually watch it. I look at that design and I think of a feature length diaper commercial.

It's not some original character? That's news to me.

t. Mid 80s baby.

Nope. It got transled to Slovene.

its hilarious.

but not for everybody

WHAT IS WRONG WIH THESE CAPCHAS! DO YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE, HIRO?

The entire concept made me cringe. The way CU was always going LA LA LAAAAA and all of that other nonsense in the trailer immediately turned me off to it. Its a movie that would have worked in the 90s but not in the 2010s

You might have just missed it. I was born in 89 and I read him in elementary school. They sold it at the bookfairs.

The kids only had two weeks before Cars 3 came out and most of the young adults who read the books as kids either went to see Wonder Woman or sat at home shitposting on the Internet about Wonder Woman.

It's from a book series, and they'er great.

He came out the at the SAME timeframe as Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman buried him. And even if they had waited, they would have competed with Spider-Man and Planet of the Apes.

It didn't stand a chance.

Now Boss Baby will get a sequel, and Captain Underpants.

It made 3 times it's budget, I wouldn't call this a fail. Also, it isn't out in a lot of places, Germany needs to wait untill October for some reasons which is very unusual.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up getting a sequel considering how cheap the production costs were.

Its not known in my country

The trailer made it look more wacky than the book and I prefer the tone of the visual novel rather than the exaggerated gags of the film.

I appreciate the movie for being less bitter than the books.

They gave a happy ending to Mr. Krupp too.

>visual novel

Captain Underpants anime when?

Who are we kidding? It'll be a hentai.

To be fair, Tra La Laaaaa! is Captain Underpants' catchphrase.

>Budget $38 million[2]
>Box office $80.6 million[3]

Is that actually a failure? It's not a smashing success, but double the budget is generally considered decent, especially for a movie made as cheaply as this.

Kids today don't know him and people who read his books growing up don't want to be embarrassed going to a movie called Captain Underpants.

Depends on how much was spent on ads.

I read it growing up. Wouldn't bother see the movie but my friends little sister went with her family.

>but my friends little sister

*but my friend's little sister

Do we need more shota?

I am happy that because of movie they reprinted comics in Poland so I can finally finish the series!

It's another mediocre movie that got overhyped because "omg it's that thing I liked as a kid"

Why did you feel the need to correct your/that persons post?

Because it came out well over a decade late.

>in the theater watching this
>annoying little shit keeps asking his mom obvious questions about the narrative
>mildly pissed
>suddenly realize I've become the fun-hating adult the books and movie criticized so heavily

>that persons post

*that person's post

To be fair, if that kid was asking questions non-stop he probably wasn't having a lot of fun.

Also the books stemed from a very bitter worldview, ironically enough.