Please explain Ken Penders to me

Please explain Ken Penders to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DNteN_qlHp0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He's like Andrew Dobson. Terrible and Narcissistic.

Autism with an inflated ego so like Dobson except he actually managed to do some realm damage by basically ensuring archie comics bankruptcy

Former Archie Sonic writer who hijacked the comic book basically known for his obsession with Knuckles (which came about because ideas he pitched for Sonic got rejected, but approved for Knuckles)
He got triggered over Sonic Chronicles "ripping off" his work and proceeded to sue Archie for his characters which, to make a long story short, led to the comic being rebooted. He's currently making his own comic called the Lara-Su Chronicles which is an affront to comics everywhere.
And that's the short, loose, version of the story

If Sega asserted copyright over the Archie-Born... things may have been different.

I should also mention that Ken has never played the games and only learned about them through his son.

He created Geoffrey, Lien-Da and Endgame. He's alright in my book.

he looks like a programmer. I wouldn't trust someone with a mustache and get-up like that to be a creative person.

I would never had known there was an Archie Sonic if it wasn't for Penders. (Pic related)

>Volunteer at library. Comic books being left in the back. Ask if I can take them. Library is ok with it.
>New management tells me they are city property. Plan foiled.

I should have held onto them.

Lara-Su Chronicles looks like shit

Ken's art never really improved over the years

He looks like the guy that turn subway jared into a pedophile.

>proceeded to sue Archie
Archie sued him. Get it right, ya goofs.

Would his Lara-Su art look better if he didn't insist on going for a 'realistic' (shading a cartoon character's face like it's a human face) shading style?

What ideas did he introduce and how were those ideas reacted to?

KEK! Is this real?

Please let this be real.

Guy who made the tweet confirmed it's not real

Post the Digimon image

A large amount of stuff up to issue 50 or sometime after for the main books and pretty much everything lorewise with Knuckles that isn't from the games or Dr. Finitevus.
Most people didn't really care for a lot of these until Ian Flynn (and maybe Karl Bollers) used them much better.
To give a basic idea, a storyline focusing on the echidna tribe had to be rewritten to write out all of the characters offscreen due to Ken winning the lawsuit.

Awww...

Wish granted.

Damn it...

...what? He made his own digimon OC?

No.

I dunno, I'm not into Digimon.

No, that's the villain of the first season of the second series. The one that Taiora fags keep getting assblasted about.

So is he like, aware at some level his art is fucking awful? He puts so much fucking work into it but the end result is just not good.

He likes Knuckles.

Taiorafags don't have shit against Ken. Unless maybe they hate the fact that he wasn't Matt like they had originally planned.

No
He is 100% convinced he is the most talented artist and writer that ever worked for Archie, and that the entire Sonic series,including the games, is only popular because of his work.

He's a funny guy

I believe in creator rights, to varying degrees anyway, but fucking hell they're Sonic OCs. Are they really worth fighting for?

Sonic the Hedgehog is like Hellraiser's puzzle box. It tempts autists with wondrous delights and then releases them into a tortuous hell of their own design.

He was ripped off by Archie which caused them to lose the IP. If fucking publishers, or anyone, want to rip off artist (regardless of how annoying they are) they need to be ready for the consequences.

>mustache makes him look like a pedo
>no mustache makes him look like a pedo with a sex dungeon

You think if he grew a beard he might look like a normal?

Apparently because he did and he did end up getting them

I want that shirt.

Shut up Ken.

No. He'd look even fucking worse.

If it wasn't a licensed comic you might have had a point.

He ripped Archie off.

FUCK

I know this board has a lot of Sup Forumsntrarians but there's a line and sticking up for Penders crosses it.

Truly a visionary for our times.

Hate him if you must, but you can't deny this man shaped the franchise. If he never worked on the comic, Sonic wouldn't be here right now.

I may not like it either, but it's the truth.

Isn't this part of Pender's pitch to SEGA for a movie?

Penders, go away

His Knuckles stories are literally just some unrelated sci-fi shit he was planning for years that he decided to shoehorn into Sonic because he could

Yes.

>This man killed an entire ongoing comic and is convinced that it's okay because people only want to see HIS version anyway, ignoring the fact that 99% of people liked Pender's characters and concepts best when another writer was using them.

How fucking delusional can one man be?

t. Ken Penders

Is this guy the successful version of B Walmer?

A man who intends to use characters that aren't his for his... can we even call it fanfiction?

How could he learn about the games through his son when Ken's family doesn't even own a Sega Genesis?

Pic related, note that his son is using a tv remote held sideways for a "controller"

Good point. I remembered reading that his son was a fan, so I assumed he at least owned a genesis.

Maybe he saw the cartoon.

Perhaps

Missed a slide.

>Ken winning the lawsuit

HE. DID. NOT. WIN.

They settled. It was, in fact, a joint loss.

My mistake. Impact on the comic-wise, he won though.

hes a succesful chris chan

The previous slide is pretty much a placeholder/unfinished, but this the more interesting one.

sonicX is my jam. gotta faster faster faster faster sonicX!

I just feel embarrassment for him

youtu.be/DNteN_qlHp0

That's all for Ken Penders' Wild Movie Ride, exit's on the left.

>Impact on the comic-wise, he won though.

Did he? DID HE, though? While Ian and co had managed to shine the many turds he (and others) had originally dropped in the book, many of them were in fact still turds. There was a small handfull of characters and ideas that managed to be salvageable (RIP in peace) but by and large his impact was a net loss as far as I'm concerned.

I admit, I liked Ken's contributions early on and I'm still wearing nostalgia goggles for some of it but frankly, the house cleaning that was going on in that last arc was a long time coming. I wish Ian had finally gotten to tell that echidna story properly and I wish the reboot had been a much softer one, but I think the stories were improving from that point on. It had an awkward start but I was really looking forward to seeing more.

Not to mention, Ken's not going to get to play in the toybox like he thinks he is. The minute he publishes (if), I'm sure SEGA is going to come down on him hard.

I hate this man because almost 20 years ago I saw art of Julie-Su and thought she was the coolest looking character and she got me into the comics.

Now whenever I think of my autistic childhood I'm reminded that he created my favorite character.

Post the specific pic. I want to see what you considered the coolest looking character.

The first time I saw that video, it confirmed all of my worst suspicions about Penders.

The man is utterly delusional and has the creative abilities of the average 7 year old.

Dat fishnet Second Life Tails.

And why does that rouge cosplay look like she's at a jail cell?

I can imagine an executive kinda getting on board through the buzzwords in the slides then seeing this video and recoiling in horror

I actually was looking for it and can't find it anywhere. I think I saw it around 2001 and before 2003 because Sonic Heroes wasn't out yet.

It was someone's 3D fanart of her just holding her gun but being an easily impressionable child I saw a "pink girl sonic character with a gun" and sperged. I think I saw it on Sonic HQ or Sonic Org? It may have been a geocities website though.

He's basically Chris Chan if Chris Chan actually held an industry job for some length of time.

I've mentioned it before but if I were to get terminal cancer I'd gladly go shoot Ken Penders before I die(well him or Ike Perlmutter)

A little while back I saw some attempts at Sup Forums redesigning Ken Pender's Echidnas to look both more appealing and less rip-offish, they even came in more cartoon animal and more humanoid varieties. Does anyone have those?

Settlements are not wins or losses. They are mutually agreed upon terms to end a conflict.

Here you go user. I found it by drawing it from memory and google searching. It was drawn in 1999 and in 1999 to the early 2000s I thought this was the shit.

>tfw I feel a tinge of Nostalgia over those images
N-no, stop it! I don't want to feel this way about Penders

Heh. I laugh at you. But to know your past and learn from it is to truly grow and for that, I commend you.

>That time Penders inserted his children into a special issue

Only the boy is his. The girl is his niece or something.

HE

How the hell does he have children?

CAN'T

WUZ
ECHIDNAS

I had this. I might still have this. God I hope not though.

KEEP

GETTING