>good rock special
>good hey Arnold special
>ducktales 2017 doesn't look like shit
>pokemon 20th anniversary movie looks great
>good invader zim movie
>and now iron giant

shit 2017 is looking up man

NO

It's Ready Player One, not an Iron Giant movie.

No way...

Not Sup Forums related
Last thread got deleted not even 15 minutes ago for a reason
Fuck off

That's the Iron Giant. There's no way it isn't. It's blatant as hell.

>not Sup Forums related
It is when a pretty prominent character in cartoons is featured as a main point of interest in the trailer, cunt.

The DeLorean from back to the future is also in it. With the time travel upgrades and everything.

youtube.com/watch?v=LiK2fhOY0nE

It's an Iron Giant reference in Ready Player One because it's a book/movie about referencing nerd culture.

The movie is a pop-culture smorgasbord.

Ready Player One is gonna be the official "I'm so nerdy, see? I get this reference" movie

>live-action movie based on a book is Sup Forums reletad because it features cameos from cartoons
It's not, Sup Forums crosscancer.
Last thread got deleted, the rules are clear.

It's also a huge ad tie-in. Google, Sony, Facebook are all competing over making the best cheapest wireless VR headset.

It's not getting deleted.

You can cry and whine all you want, it's not happening.

HE'S SMALL

Isn't that the point of the book, escaping reality through pop culture and fiction seeing how the world went to shit?

of course it fucking is you daft fuck, that's the fucking point

>movie featuring spiderman, superman, batman, iron giant
>not Sup Forums related

what did he mean by this?

That the movie isn't based off a comic or cartoon. It's based off of a shitty novel.

It looks like it's going to be shit, but people will love it for all the references.

>That's the Iron Giant. There's no way it isn't. It's blatant as hell.
>It's an Iron Giant reference in Ready Player One because it's a book/movie about referencing nerd culture.

It seems they are going to reference mostly WB owned IPs or at least American media which makes sense, Iron Giant seems to be a substitute of Ultraman from the books

Is that... Harley and Deathstroke?

Does WB own Akira? Because the bikes in the trailer were the bikes from Akira.

The Iron Giant is apparently a main character in the film, though, user. At that point, if we count MCU movies as Sup Forums, this should count too.

iron giant was in the book, it's just one book, not 'books'

and it was confirmed that non WB stuff will be in, Spielberg only said that he's gonna avoid adding his own stuff to the film

if they adapt the best parts of the book it has a chance of being good.
I trust Spielberg-sama

>comment on youtube saying it's harley and deadpool

Pretty sure they bought licensing rights to do an AKIRA movie. They probably were able to use those rights for this movie as well.

Yes.

AYO.

yes, but that scene takes place at a masked ball and a party

>not 'books'
Unless you count Andy Weir's Ready Player One fanfic which got canonized.

I mean, why couldn't it be? If it's all just avatars in games and shit.

This is going to be another example of Hollywood learning all the wrong lessons from The Lego Movie, isnt it?

Alright Sup Forums, place your bets.

What are some other references we'll end up seeing?

>GOOD

Freddy went out like a bitch

So is the racing part suppose to be like Trackmania?

>not understanding perspective.

>>dat World of Pure Imagination
Nice touch

Blade Runner, WarGames, D&D, E.T.
Prolly a lot more, my nigga.

I swear to god The Iron Giant better get to meet Superman.
Ideally ending with a stylized S being l welded to his chest with heat vision.

The movie is made by Warner
Warner owns DC which owns Deathstroke, not Deadpool

youtube.com/watch?v=e4XFUc6175k

I could not get through this book. I stopped reading due to all the constant references and "muh 80's"

>I ate my pizza like Pac Man eats pellets in the hit videogame "Pac-Man"
>I felt lost. A lot like Super Marios Bros.: The Lost Levels

It was just nonstop namedropping and referencing.

Marvel would never, ever license any of their characters to Warner Bros.

except the final battle takes place with Wade fighting in a Leopardon robot, also tons of Star Wars shit including X-wings and lightsabers are integral to the story of RP1, no way that Disney shit isn't in the film

fuck man dat final battle, mechagodzilla and a bunch of evas against leopardon, people like to shit on RP1 but holy fuck does it have it's moments

They're probably use something else like Gundam

Looks more like Snake Eyes to me.

>Gundam
one of the jap kids is in a gundam in that battle, I just don't see them skipping out on leopardon

I think they tend to shit it on a lot (this coming from someone who read the book) because of all the name drops and "obscure" nerd facts. Still I trust Spielberg seeing how something like this is his thing.

It's not up to Marvel, it's up to Disney.
And I don't think you understand just hoe much pull Spielberg has with pretty much everyone.

>we've gotten to the point where we're so over encumbered with reboots of nostalgia franchises, that we're making franchises out of the IDEA of nostalgia reboots

You know what? no, fuck no, fuck this, I don't even give a shit if it's any good, it's too much. This is disgusting.

Fuck off and go make some fucking original stories, go enjoy shit that artists right now are trying to push out the best they can in a system that rewards mediocrity and pandering to nostalgics.

This is a fucking shitty idea made for shitty people and it needs to fucking stop.

The Spielberg shit is also a big thing in RP1 and none of that is going to be in the film either. There's so much pop culture to draw from that you can do it without Disney-owned properties.

>Ready Player One
Shit book. Will be a shit movie.

Only exists for ad dollars and memes.

if anyone can elevate the material it's fucking steven spielberg, his last few films were imo fucking garbage and he has a chance to redeem himself with this, for him this could be a sort of back to roots film and hopefully return to top form

trailer looks good, but I think the film won't be a major success the studio is thinks it will be, but it could be a good film

it think they already confirmed star wars stuff will be in, if that's in, I don't see why marvel stuff couldn't be in also

I would die beyond happy if my childhood dream came true.

>this movie could straight up be a new live-action Roger Rabbit type deal with assorted liscenses

FFFFFUCKKKKKKKKKKK

that's the best case scenario, and that's why it's Sup Forums-related as fuck

It's based on a book that's a giant metaphor for how people immerse themselves in pop culture to avoid addressing the real world around them. It's literally the point you unbearable faggot.

this

the last sentence of the fucking book is the main character rejecting the oasis and literally the author telling the reader to go outside and stop jerking over pop culture

Fuck, I just realized.
This is pretty much a live-action Daicon III and IV.

And it's an awful book. By any reasonable standard of literary merit, it's shit on paper.

>a giant metaphor
Meaning an impact hammer the author beats you with from page one to the end.

The main character ends up fighting Matthew Broderick in that holographic game from Wargames at one point. No I'm not kidding.

The irony being the book itself became pop culture.

So, if this is just about a guy having fun in VR, what's the point? I mean, what's at stake, where does drama come from?

Kind of ironic, since Pegg is in this movie.

I dont give a shit, it's a story that's still lazily using all these fucking nostalgic ticks when they could've fucking done something original, this is taking up production time in a big ass studio when multiple other smaller projects that are original could be getting made.

The point isnt wether its good or not, the idea in and of itself of just fucking masturbating over all this pop culture shit, and dont pretend that isnt exactly what they're doing, is explicitly harmful to actual original ideas.

Anime has a hard time making new shit because the audience are a bunch of pandered to nostalgics that want the same overtly self referential shit, hollywood movies have been "subverting" cliches for so long that subversion is cliche, and now we've reached the point where literal fucking fanfiction is wasting everyone's resources by being brought to life like this.

Fuck you.

>It seems they are going to reference mostly WB owned IPs
To me, this is part of what kills the "It's a world of imagination!" concepts. The world of imagination just happens to be limited to 90% Warner Brothers properties.

I know it can't be helped because studios don't like to swim in the same pool together, but it's why I appreciate it much more when stuff like Roger Rabbit try to set those quarrels aside to make the world actually feel seamless.

Pegg is in fucking Star Trek and other bunch of pop culture stuff
Go figure the guy

who needs drama when you have REFERENCES

>yfw they play ELO during the climax

it's no masterpiece but it's ok, it's not shit, god knows there are a ton of shit books and ready player one isn't one of them, it's fine and it has it's moments

>The main character ends up fighting Matthew Broderick in that holographic game from Wargames at one point

that doesn't happen, he becomes Matthew Broderick and has to do stuff that happened in Wargames, but that's just one of the tasks the MC has to do in the book to get one of the 3 keys

He's a real funny guy.

IOI the company and the main bad guys know who the kid is in real life and the want to kill him, also the world is fucked, also the kid is poor

NOT!Steve Jobs dies and leaves his fortune for whomever can find the Grand Line in the massively multiplayer online life simulator he helped to create.

Gigantic megacorporations with billions of dollars and access to military technology and weaponry decide to play a child's video game to find the source of Lil' Steve's haul.

Generic Main Character has an advantage over his sperg pals because he's from the hood and plays in a truck behind his shit apartment.

Literally every single key NotSteve left was hidden in an 80's reference.

Matthew Broderick wargames scene.

Megacorps blow up MC's home, start offing players online who won't help them find the One Piece.

tl;dr

Megacorps go to jail (how?) and MC gets the girl, the end.

It is a SHIT book.

he's got bills to pay

>main bad guy is named Nolan

what did he mean by this?

Brad Bird would be spinning in his grave :(

>He thinks creativity isn't a tired concept
>He thinks it's safe to have original ideas
>He thinks original ideas don't make flops
Honestly you should've realized it was dead the second Nerd Culture became hip

>Iron giant appearing in a film directed by Steven Spielberg

Spielberg shits all over Bird though

What is this from

>I trust spielberg-sama
The BFG.

TWILIGHT

>Megacorps go to jail (how?)

Only the boss, IIRC.

Also, the MC and main heroine(in the book at least) are chubby teenagers, and the MC's life-long best friend turns out to be a black lesbian.

I doubt they'll adapt it, but he also mentions at some point the /r9k/ dream,
of getting a full VR suit and living/fucking with his waifu.

>yfw AND THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH happens in the film

>Only the boss, IIRC.
That's even worse.

Is this the closest thing to Family Guy the movie?

but the mc had proof of him killing several people, why wouldn't he go to jail?

Because he's a massively wealthy corporate goon with effectively unlimited funds and resources.

Having the government, which up til that point had made no appearance in the book or at least not one I can recall, show up and "take him away" is fucking dumb.

was kind expecting to hear this in the trailer, but I guess they're saving it for the final film

youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2UO7aGhe4

similar shit has happened in real life and at worst they have to pay a huge fine and maybe a half hearted apology to the family. there is no way they will go to jail.

>this is as close as we're getting to live action Eva

I GAVE YOU TIME
TO STEAL MY MIND

They would shit all over it in someway, user.

It's Warner Bros.

Do you remember [pop culture references]?

>You've gotta be fucking kidding me.
they do think the people who go to movies are idiots, yes

>It's dumb to have a character get arested by the authorities when there's proof that links them to a crime.