Why does nobody ever mention the fact that this dude was only a good guy for the last ten episodes of the series after...

Why does nobody ever mention the fact that this dude was only a good guy for the last ten episodes of the series after being one of the main villains in the first 52 episodes? Four of those ten episodes were "PLEASE, I'M A GOOD BOY" episodes where he has to prove to each member of the team (other than Toph) that he's a good boy.

I guess they could kind of get away with it though, because it was painfully obvious from the very beginning of A:TLA that he would join them for the first part. I was sitting in my pajamas at the age of eight years old watching the premiere of Avatar: The Last Airbender and during his first scene I thought "This dude is definitely going to be a hero at some point"

Forgot to mention that literally every single one of those last ten episodes were aired in the span of five days, so it made it seem really rushed. This is also coming out of a nearly eight month hiatus.

It's not like he only had a change of heart at the exact instance of that 10 episode mark though. He'd been struggling with his morality and feelings towards the fire nation even since the first season, hell, by the time the earth kingdom city shit starts wrapping up he'd basically completely cut ties with his old identity and potentially could have lived out his life in the city had nothing else happened.

He mad a really bad call at the end of that season, and over basically the entirety of season 3 you can see him suffering under that decision until he hit his breaking point and defected properly.

It's not like he went from being a villain, to suddenly turning good at the very end. You're ignoring his entire character arc, especially in the second season.

Because his entire character arc was leading up to him becoming a good guy you fucking idiot.

The scene where he hugs his uncle is fucking great and I refuse to hear anything bad about it.

I mean he wasn't really a bad guy even from season1 anyway plus as the show progress he was shown to be somewhat redeemable, he valued the lives of his soldiers, that's why he got the scar, he saved Aang in the North pole, He rescued Aang from the firenation fortress with those Archers, he was trying to live a normal life in Basingsei, etc.

He only saved Aang from the fortress so he could capture him himself.
He saved Appa though.

I guess but then he could have just killed Aang right there and then.

why was Ozai's appearance kept hidden for so long? It was like they were concealing the fact that he's an existing character or has a shocking appearance

Zuko was on a Journey.

>Everybody accurately answers OPs question
>Does not respond to any of them

Because when he finally confronts the man who was only seen as distant faceless figure in his flashbacks he's also beginning to confront himself.

The pacing of Season 3 is wack.

Can we all just admit that Brian and Mike are great at coming up with cool and interesting characters but absolutely suck balls when it comes to writing their stories, interactions and motivations?

Zuko was a great character with a compelling backstory who everyone wanted to see turn to the good side, but the way it finally happened felt like a shoe-horned afterthought that happened way too late in the series to make it feel natural.

The fact that you watched as it was airing might be the reason why it's bugging you. I didn't watch the series until like 2009 and I marathoned through. His development seemed well done over several seasons rather than rushed but maybe the breaks messed with your perception.

the whole show suffered from being only 23mins per episode. I rewatched it all last month with a friend and a lot of very important/heavy stuff just went by because it only lasted a few minutes.

I can agree that Mike and Bryan are hacks, but Zuko's character arc was done really well. How did it feel unnatural to you? His whole season 2 arc was about becoming his own person, free from the wishes of his father and feelings of obligation to him. He had practically finished this journey, but then regressed in the finale when the temptation of MUH HONOUR was shoved right in his face. Naturally, he came to realise that he fucked up and did what he should've done in Ba Sing Se, and joined team Avatar. I've seen some people say that he should've sided with them in Crossroads, but to me, his character regression makes perfect sense. He was only just beginning to find happiness and freedom from his old identity. You can't expect that to outweigh the desire for his father's acceptance he's had for years prior when he's handed a golden opportunity like that. It also makes the moment when he does join them that much more impactful. Particularly with how he betrayed Katara. And of course his feelings of guilt about betraying Iroh. The first half of season 3 was pretty much Zuko figuring out that he made the wrong choice, and then rectifying it. The bulk of his character progression actually happened in season 2.

Because he's sexy.
Sexy people can get away with murder.

Honestly, this. Zuko's redemption arc was the best I've ever seen on screen.

This is because his reasons were never outright evil, he just wanted to redeem himself in the eyes of his family, and throughout the time he was evil you learn enough about the character and his struggle to understand that he was a good person in his own way, his path throughout the show was his own road to his destiny as turbulent as it may have been. You can see him learn and change so much as the series goes on that when he actually changes sides you know why, and you can feel why, because you've witnessed his internal journey in a way.

Any scene with Iroh always brings out the feels.