What are your thoughts on AUs? What are some you like or dislike?

What are your thoughts on AUs? What are some you like or dislike?

Other urls found in this thread:

fanfiction.net/s/12557068/1/The-Actions-That-Follow
archiveofourown.org/works/4208799
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I think they're okay

Circus AU user, is that you?

Who?

This autist who always shows up in AU threads, especially GF-focused ones, rambling about how much he wants to see AUs where the characters are circus performers.

I'm not familiar with that user. Why did you think I was them?

The OP image, obviously.

Plus the fact that I was the third post in this thread, yet there's only two IPs.

AUs can be a fun little diversion. Some are enjoyable. Some aren't. Some are more obnoxious than others

Antigravity was the only good Gravity Falls AU but it failed because you fags only follow AUs you can get your rocks off to.

No that's just a pic from a pretty standard Gravity Falls AU. I think it's got more content than any of the others so it was probably pretty popular.

>The OP image, obviously.

Reverse Falls is a pretty well known AU, actually

What are some of the more obnoxious ones?

I know that, but choosing a pic with Mabel in a giant circus cannon aroused my suspicions.

Endless coffee shop AU's or anything where the writer/artist takes something fantastical and translates it into super mundane terms.

The femsied/momsied
The rule 63 Zuko from TLA where he's with Aang
Stuff like picture related

I like "for want of a nail" type AUs where one small detail is changed and it changes everything else. Like for example Shrek 4's premise, or the fan comic where Aang gets rescued out of the ice several years later than in the cartoon.

I'm not too into stories where the characters are turned into totally different people without any particular explanation. I especially dislike high-school AUs.

most are okay, some are really fun to see but only if they're slightly different. like maybe
>gendbend au OR age swap au
rather than
>gendbend alien highschool ghost busters personality-swap
at that point it's not even the same character anymore

I like Hero/Villain roleswap AUs

>at that point it's not even the same character anymore
I think those are generally written by people who just want to write a story but think, correctly, that the only way to get people to read it is to disguise it as fanfic since that has a built in audience.

>What are your thoughts on AUs?
The more the fandom has, shows how much they're not interested in the show but just the characters.

I like it when they end up being better than the actual source material once the original universe has gone to shit.

Some people prefer plots and stories, others prefer characters. Just different ways of looking at/enjoying the same thing.

Gravity Falls and Undertale come to mind

I really doubt that, I think they just both dunno where to stop. to think people actually eat those up

In fairness, sometimes I'll read one of those far out AU fics that doesn't even bear a relation to the source anymore but if the writing is good I'll keep reading because at that point I get invested in the authors story.

So I wouldn't be too surprised if at least a few authors did that one purpose.

I like them more as a series of one-off pieces and short gags than drawn out narratives
like Monster Falls, mostly just redesigns using animals/monster forms with some cute interactions like this

>tfw favorite fic comes to an end and you doubt you'll find another like it
what's her name Sup Forums?

>1 favorite fic was AxB but au where B is a child sex slave
oh, that...actually sounds worse than it really is. it's hurt/comfort you gotta believe me

it's an immediate turn off for me even if they write well, but I see your point

Fanfic in general is in a weird area creativity-wise.

At this point I just try to find something written well that doesn't rehash the same plots I've seen a million times.

i hope u got a link

Oh God those are the best. Like what if Harry hadn't stopped the hat from choosing Slytherin for him, stuff like that.

This is Sup Forums, not tween fanfic discussions.
Take it to tumblr.

That would be a short damn story once Draco poisoned his food in the Slytherin common room.

theres always that one user

Are you running out of room for more fetish threads or something? This board is slow as shit, just let people talk about whatever instead of just being a crabby fuck.

Was Antigravity the ageswap one?

Yep. I agree with that other user, it had some good art.

you don't want it user, it's not even Sup Forums. and fujoshit garbage at that

A Star/Ludo roleswap would basically be that Bunsen is a Beast show.

>when Lex and Jokester teamed up to defeat Ultra man.

i'd read their comics

>tfw currently writing a contemporary AU of Samurai Jack
>everyone seems to hate that concept

The Aang/Korra swapped AUs were both a lot of fun.

I think AU's are alright, but I personally have a Gripe with swap AU's.

Not becuase it think that they're inherently bad, but because people always pay too much attention to the swap part instead of Alternate Universe part.

When people write Swap AU's they often fall into the pit fall of making the characters fall into the same role as the ones in the original universe and often end up molding and mangling their characters to so that they end up being the same as the ones whose roles they and took just retread old ground. The interesting part of a swap AU arises from the characters being different from each, and having different thought processes, making different decisions, and going through different character arcs. I'm not saying that every character should be the exact same as they are in the source material, especially if the AU involves changing fundamental parts of their backstory like their age or identity, but keep in mind that the change is supposed to arise from how things would go differently from source.

This is actually a really good example of that. I found an Antigravity story that was actually pretty compentently written and had some interesting ideas. The major flaw with was that whenever it tried to mirror the source it butchered the characters and didn't do anything new or interesting.

depends how you do it really.
it could also work if he was just teleorted to this time. if he was always in this time, you'd have to keep at least the main aspects of the show and his complete character, as everything else would change drastically

What made you decide to write it? Any links?

This is an example of a swap AU done well - it doesn't try too hard to make the characters fit in the plot and relationships of the old show and instead adapt the story and universe to the change and figuring out new and interesting ways to hit some of the same memorable landmark moments.

It was a combination of pic related and the unsatisfaction I felt from the finale.

>fanfiction.net/s/12557068/1/The-Actions-That-Follow

I like to think I did the Modern AU in an interesting way, but see for yourselves.

This is Sup Forums though, a board dedicated to a medium that practically invented AU's with stuff like the Marvel "What If" and the DC "Elseworlds".

>series has a unique and interesting setting and world
>AU makes it a modern day highschool setting
I hate these ones the most.
Worse is how majority of the time that change would alter the personalities of characters, so at that point why bother making it an AU of something else? Why not just slap new names on these characters that barely resemble their original versions and have it be an original story?

It does have it's problems like pretty much the whole setup for Aang in LoK's place. But it keeps the hatred for Korra by making everything her fault yet again.

>fanfiction.net/s/12557068/1/The-Actions-That-Follow
>60K words
>11 chapters

You don't fuck around do you Skippy?

I admit, I may be going a little overboard. But I basically have the rest of the story outlined in my head, it's just a matter of getting it all typed out. I've crapped out on too many things in my life to quit this now, and I plan to move on to an original story once this is done.

Nah man, I'm not criticizing you.

Keep it up, follow your dreams and all that jazz.

I've abandoned plenty of stories in my time but the ones that I finished always gave a real sense of satisfaction.

I can respect that. If you're gonna do something do it right. In for a penny in for a pound.

That Bad end Friends one is pretty autistic

I appreciate it, friends

The what now?

I dislike it too, mostly because they're inaccurate to the source and they just go with whatever has the edgiest design for teenage girls to fap to.

The Mabel and Marco ones seem especially stupid

Why is Mabel smoking a cigar?

Good lord, user, just give it to me. I need it now, you got me curious.

I think AUs, as a concept, are retarded.

If you've got a story to tell, then just fucking tell it. A good story is its own justification. You shouldn't need to couch it in ultimately meaningless literary devices to justify its existence.

I prefer Bad End threads

Roleswaps of all sorts are fun.

A problem with them is for some reason they always seem to make the hero turned villain super edgy for some reason

They also have a recurring problem of having little to no substance once the premise has been fully established. Leaving future contributors with barely anything to work with

Is that what happened with Reverse Falls?

It was part of the problem. The biggest issue was that nobody could agree what direction the AU should be taken. As well as agree upon a consistency characterization of the alternate characters.

Yeah, I noticed that. Sometimes the twins are comedic team rocket-esque villains, sometimes they're edgy murderers. Sometimes Pacifica's a hippie, sometimes she's Blonde Mabel

Nobody gives a shit about Gideon one way or the other

The approach was always slapping them into the other shoes, and leaving it at that.
Gideon should've been a fake Magician/stage kid who becomes enthralled with the oddities of GF, and eventually finds a place amongst the town. His character would eventually grow as he becomes a true Magician.

Pacifica could've been the local outcast who most can't stand because she's too happy, and neighbor/friend of Gideon, the new kid in town. She'd eventually resolve the issues with her family, and begin to make friends.

Dipper should've been a distant know it all who gathers the magical items for the Mystery Shack via cruel means. He'd stay in the shadows, and would be at odds with most people he encounters.

Mabel should've been the town favorite, the perfect good two shoes who becomes way too obsessed with Gideon. Basically Canon Gideon but as a girl and a flock of men and girls who wish to be her friends.

I warned you of my shit degenerate tastes. Just know that I warned you.
archiveofourown.org/works/4208799

Anyone know any good crossover fanfics

Someone linked me to a really good Hellblazer/Harry Potter fanfic that got abandoned in like 2006 and I've been feeling a deep need ever since.

It got obliterated recently, but it's still surprisingly interesting.

It's alright.

Did anyone ever?

Most writers/artists in the fandom seem to just sort of pretend he doesn't exist.

I think they're mostly silly and I don't really see the point of making a bunch of fanart and fanfiction about them. I've had a lot of laughs talking about how you could change Berserk into a high school drama anime with one of my friends before, but going so far as to make art and stories about the idea takes it too far imo.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using pre-existing characters as a median for inspiration, just as long as it has enough of its own things going on to differentiate it from the source material. That's obviously not the easiest thing to do, or even possible in some cases.

But there's not many things you can create nowadays that someone else can't say "it's been done" about, so taking it a step further with an existing IP isn't unforgivable in my opinion. Plus, someone else could end up tapping into some great potential that the original creator never even considered; fanart/fiction provides a new perspective on a story that expands the sometimes limited perspective of the creator.

This one could still work even in light of Islands. Just switch up where Finn and Susan land.

>Baby Finn's raft drifts into an underground waterway, where he's found by the hyoomans
>Susan's ship crash-lands somewhere in Ooo; despite the ship's total destruction, she survives albeit with amnesia
>Found and nursed back to health by a family of bunnies, she finds herself in a world needing a strong champion, and hell, who's stronger than her?

Is the writefag still around?