So, how does Sup Forums feel about the recent IDW take over of Sonic?

So, how does Sup Forums feel about the recent IDW take over of Sonic?

Other urls found in this thread:

rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36046
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just give me a TMNT crossover and no ponyshit and I'll be good.

Minorly concerned and full of questions.

Are they going to start from square one or pickup where Archie left off? Are they going to keep the SatAM characters or start their own setting? What about those obnoxious SEGA mandates that crippled Archie's writing in ways that left IDW leaps and bounds ahead of them in capacity for storytelling?

I don't know, it's too early to tell.

Im thinking "Might be cool" but overall more curious.

Can they do reprints of the Archie stuff? Would be a good time to finally collect the whole damn run in paperback omnis. Or would that entail paying the Penders?

>Can they do reprints of the Archie stuff
unlikely
>would that entail paying the Penders?
yes

Very likely starting over and for good reason. The current continuity is an uninteresting mess. I'm certain they'll ignore all the freedom fighter characters and stick with new or direct videogame characters only. Plus not wanting paying for theirs licencing.

>not wanting a sanic/horse crossover issue entirely dedicated to mocking donut steels

So anyone know entirely what caused the split between Archie/Sega. I know Penders started the ball rolling with his bullshit, but not much after that aside from hearing it was rocky.

>The current continuity is an uninteresting mess
The opinion of someone with objectively shit taste.

>Plus not wanting paying for theirs licencing.
Retard, SEGA owns the Freedom Fighters, they don't pay for the rights to characters they already own. Not that that means they'll get used, but stop spouting factually incorrect bullshit.

There had already been some bad blood even before then. There were several incidents where Archie rubbed Sega the wrong way, such as depictions of Sonic crying (including on the actual cover, which made Sega freak out). They were never huge fans of the Archie universe to begin with.

The Pendering is when shit really hit the fan, though. Archie handled it so poorly that it's not surprise Sega was looking for any excuse to cut ties with them.

>Plus not wanting paying for theirs licencing.
The only characters they'd have to pay any kind of fee for would be Penders characters, which we know won't happen regardless. If IDW wants to use Sally, Bunnie, etc there's nothing stopping them, at least legally.

More than likely Sega will ask them not to. I think they'll see anything associated with Archie as baggage and just not want it around anymore.

The ultimate split seems to be Archie giving up the licence because its a direction they don't want to go in anymore. Which is fucking stupid since it's still making them some money but who the fuck knows.

Apparently their Riverdale gamble paid off and now that's their cash cow.

Idw hates having to publish pony so there should not be a problem there.

You would think comics companies would be more careful about protecting contracts from stuff like that.
Wasn't there some drama with bob kane and a flood.

That rumor was, and continues to be, completely baseless, started by anti-Archie fags.

Archie had no choice in the matter, had fully complete comic books ready to publish, and two major anniversary issues right around the corner.

Any idiot should be able to understand this is completely SEGAs doing

How? those trailers looked fucking terrible.

Keep Ian, Keep SatAM, don't go insane with it like Fleetway and it should be good.

It's getting good ratings. No idea if the show is any good but it's successful.

the less of SATAM/archie shit the better. i'd rather have comics based on the games.

but like said give me a TMNT crossover and i'm golden i'd also be sold on this too.

what's the point of even having copies of contracts if they don't hold up in court?

Even if IDW wanted to touch the old continuity, SEGA doesn't want to be reminded of the continuity that sued them multiple times.

If Penders and Fullop were to die then maybe.

As long as the old Sat AM characters are still there, I'm golden.

>what's the point of even having copies of contracts if they don't hold up in court?
I haven't seen that "they only produced copies of the contracts" anywhere besides that repost. The Lost Media Wiki and the Sonic Wiki both just say that Archie failed to produce the contracts.

Yeah I think Sega's going to tell them not to use them.

The show is actually not bad.

Only the Old OLD continuity has elements that could trigger a lawsuit.

Everything after the first Pendering is all cleanly cut SEGA owned content. So theoretically they could just continue where they left off with not legal problems. Not that they will.

I really fucking hate SEGA.

Both in and out of Sonic, they can't do anything fucking right these days outside Sonic Mania.

They don't know what they're missing.

Sonic Boom sets up new grounds for another continuity so the autistic Archie shit can be finally discarded

SEGA's done nothing wrong in regards to the comic & it's unknown whether or not the FFs are gonna be retired (especially since it was said that SEGA wants the comic to be its own thing). If SEGA's changed their minds about the Freedom Fighters, they'll likely be kept around.

regardless of archie's incompetence even after penders won you'd figure sega would've shot him down in a followup court case.

As long as Sonic Mega Drive is properly finished they can do what they want

>shittier sonic 3
>doing something right
I dont get the htpe for mania

So IDW has Sonic

Should we be expecting a lot of gay? IDW usually does a lot of gay.

Nice shitpost

>sega would've shot him down in a followup court case
He'd have to actually do something for Sega to take action. To date Penders still hasn't produced anything.

Its not a shitpost. Mania looks like a shitty fangame.

Because he knows that as a man whos whole work was knockoffs he doesnt have a leg to stand on for other people making knockoffs

Probably Rotor being more open about his sexuality (I'm not kidding. Look it up)

I'm pretty sure Sega would shoot that down.

Rotor being gay was only an idea Penders had that never made it into the comic. As for anything gay appearing, it would all most likely have to be approved by SEGA, who always have the last say in what does or doesn't appear in Sonic media.

As Ken Penders has "plot ideas" in his list of copyright, Archie was advised it could not do parallel universes and Flynn mentioned, implicitly, that even if he did this it was appropriate to have a gay character in the comic, Ken claiming that he made Rotor gay makes him the last likely candidate for actually being made gay.

honestly if they HAVE to use a cartoon i'd rather it be boom over SATAM because at least the boom cartoon is good.

SATAM is overrated and is partially responsible for why the sonic fandom is shit. the less of those OCs the better

it's part of sega's revival for sonic...

>mania is for the people who wanted a 2D sonic game and whined about it since sonic adventure.

>force is for the people who like the 3D games and complain how sonic is "boring" without his friends taking up 90% of the screentime

...and whatever one sells more is probably going to dictate the direction of the series going forward.

I don't think Ken is that self-aware. A more likely explanation is that he's just too lazy to do anything.

From what those wikis say there were TWO lawsuits. One against SEGA and EA for Sonic Chronicles, and another against Archie for using his echidna OCs. The one against SEGA and EA is based on Penders' belief that the villain's backstory was based on one of his comic stories; that lawsuit got thrown out.

The one against Archie, however, is the one where they couldn't find Penders' original contract. Since they couldn't produce the contract, they settled with him and rebooted the continuity.

If he ever actually publishes the Lara Su Chronicles, he owns the COPYRIGHT to those characters, which is textual stuff like their names and backstories (sans Sonic-related elements) but SEGA could slap him with TRADEMARK infringement. He would have to completely redesign their physical appearance so that they don't look like Knuckles knock-offs.

Why would they do that? Theres no legal issues with SatAM characters

But sonic is boring. Its fun to play in differing styles and they dont take up all the screentime.

Maybe im just boased because my first sanic game was sonic advance 3. Followed by heroes

Iizuka said that Mania is gonna be important in determining the future of Sonic, as they weren't so sure there was gonna be a market for the Classic games when they first showed off Mania. If anything, I could see Classic & Modern Sonic becoming two branches of the franchise, especially if both games sell well.

Sega fuckong hates them

They do?

>Mania looks like a shitty fangame.
Yeah user, sure this isn't a shitpost

I calls em like i sees em. It looks like a worse sonic 3.

Yes.

I'm fine with it. As long as Penders never works again I'm fine. the main thing is Sonic still has a comic after Archie kept fucking it all up.

Don't reply to him

Ok lets clear something up.

1. The Freedom Fighters are only tangibly from SATAM because that's simply what they were best known for, they are technically from the US Sonic Bible of the early 90s and appeared in things (like the Archie comics) before the cartoon even debut

2. IF they appeared in the IDW comic they would not be tangibly from SATAM, they would be sourced from the modern Archie canon. They would probably be redesigned and have backstory/elements changed, but no question is the comics would be where they're sourced.

So stop letting your hateboner for an old cartoon make you say silly things.

I hope this whole fiasco has taught Sup Forums just why DC and Marvel own all the characters writers create for them.

Yeah because its an anerican invention

>As long as Penders never works again I'm fine.

How exactly is he able to publish "The Lara-Su Chronicles" without the Sonic license?

It's clearly Knuckles involved in the story.

Hot teenage bitches. Who knew, right?

Sorry i dont think 2d sanic is the single greatest games ever. Forces looks a lot more fun desu

It was already proven that SoJ grew to like the Freedom Fighters & that Naoto Ohshima loved SatAM.

Okay I'm looking forward to Forces too, but get better bait. Both games look fun.

You mean k'nuckles the e'kyd'na

If that legitimately works then I think Sega's lawyers aren't trying hard enough.

I am not baiting. I honestly am not hyped for mania and do not see the appeal

If you're not hyped for Mania, that's fine. But you calling it a shitty fangame without really explaining what you don't like about it is not gonna help people see these as anything other than shitposts.

The appeal being genuine new 2D Sonic game with gameplay many people grew up loving and prefer to the 3D games. If that doesn't appeal to you then it's likely that's just not your thing video game wise.

Yeah i guess i have fallen into that mindset. I said on here before that i didnt think mania looked as interesting as forces and got labled a troll so i kinda just leaned into that. Sorry man.

I still dont quite get it but ok

>How exactly is he able to publish "The Lara-Su Chronicles" without the Sonic license?
We'll know once he actually publishes something. All these years later and he still hasn't actually done anything. He can probably get away with Lara-Su and the various Ech'ydnas or whatever the fuck he renamed them to, but he is pretty blatantly using Knuckles and trying to pass him off as Not Knuckles (to the point of having the character actually be nicknamed Knuckles and describing said nickname without actually mentioning it) and that's what's probably going to bring Sega's hammer down on him, if he ever gets off his ass and publishes anything.

I'd love it if the Lara-Su Chronicles becomes Sup Forumss Grimoire

I have no idea what that means

while i'm fine with sonic having a core supporting cast in tails, knuckles & amy. my major problems with the over saturation of sonic's supporting cast are...

A) that alot of them don't really play different from sonic or aren't very interesting to play mechanic wise

B) alot of them are unnecessary plotwise and do nothing but take the focus away from sonic turning him into a guest star in his own series and the ones that aren't unnecessary eventually are in the next game they're in

C) alot of them just aren't interesting as characters either

>inb4 "muh worldbuilding" or "muh supporting cast"

...if this was something other than sonic i'd agree with you but i feel less is more when it comes to sonic's friends

rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36046

It won't happen of course but it'd be hilarious

>K'Nox
Oh come on Ken
>AKA by nickname acquired as a young lad due to the unusual bone structure of his hands
Why does he even do this? Is he just not able to let go and has to keep pretending this is somehow the same continuity? I can't think of any reason for him to do this "I'm not gonna call him Knuckles but just so you know he's called Knuckles" shit.

Grimoire is a video game that a turbo-autist has been working on for 20 years. He's supposedly releasing it "soon," but nobody believes him.

As Pender's entire "planned comic" was a fraud to sue for potential lost profits had Archie unwittingly breached one of his copyrights, it's likely that now Ken will quietly wind down any fake plans for a comic since the chance of a big lawsuit payday are basically nil now.

Didja watch it?

It's actually pretty decent.

It's been a while since he's talked about it or posted some kind of profile or preview art or anything so you're probably right. Apparently his website's gone now, too.

Nah, Ken is still planning on going all the way with this thing, He even says when he wants to release it.

He talking actual job or that delusional furry base propping him up?

Well I'll believe it when I see it, he's done this "it's almost ready, I even hired a guy!" thing before. That's how we got these awful 3D renders.

>because at least the boom cartoon is good
I get it's partlly being contrarian but people need to stop riding Boom's dick so hard. The cartoon is fun but it's still incredibly bare, and just cause they're "absolute madmen" with the references and jokes doesn't make up for the lack of anything to really make it a strong cartoon or even setting. It's working, but I feel it's the same kind of thing where people put AoSTH on a pedestal just because it's a comedy.

>What about those obnoxious SEGA mandates
oh yes, so obnoxious. "If a character isn't the kind to cry, don't depict them bawling, have just some tearing and looking sad".

Why, if I didn't know better, I'd think the readership of this comic was autistic, considering they can only register emotion if shown in the most extremely stereotyped way possible!

I've been watching Boom since it first started airing and I've seen a lot more people hyping it up in recent months (guessing it's to do with Mania/Forces and a renewed interest in Sonic).

But Sonic Boom is legitimately a very funny and well-written cartoon. Only real complaints are that the CGI takes a while to get used to and any liquids in the show still look awful.

jesus it's like that whatever 60 made by that man thing from gamer gate

Sonic Boom is basically an animated version of the countless 'Gaming Webcomics' you see online, right down the the Doofy yet straight man protagonist, Big Guy best friend, Tech Nerd and Mom girl of the group.

It's humor is almost identical, except instead of topical gaming references it's all the sidefluff and meta humor they cram in to those things + Sonic references.

Not that it's bad, but not amazing in any way.

>they are technically from the US Sonic Bible of the early 90s
Source on this? I'm not doubting you, but I'd be interested to read more into this.

Only Sally, really.

Oh, so you're just talking about the thing where they localised the names of Sonic's little animal friends. Then it's wrong to say that "the Freedom Fighters" come from some US Sonic Bible, because basically all that carried over were the names.

And here I was interested to see the FF given a little more legitimacy. You got my hopes up.

I'm not the same user, user. Just mentioning that as far as I recall, the FF were made for SatAM, except for Sally who already existed.

It's in good hands.

Just get some other Sega IPs after this and we're golden.

Why the fuck so many people make a big deal about Sonic comic books?

The fact that he said voice acting "contest" instead of "audition" is all the proof I need that it's horseshit.

Some folks are so deluded that I just feel sad for them. Penders on the other hand doesn't get sympathy because he's not only deluded but also arrogant .

IDW starting over nearly from scratch or using Sonic Boom as a launch point is a blessing.

Like any permanent romance regarding the actual Sega characters.
Though I guess they are gonna milk that Shadow/Rouge/Knuckles triangle.