/hyw/ - How's Your Webcomic? #389

Lazy Edition

Welcome to How's Your Webcomic, where we come to discuss about our progress of our beloved webcomics. Come for some good -and not so good- advice and fun shitposting.

Other urls found in this thread:

artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
frankiementalcomics.tumblr.com/
tumblr.com/docs/en/custom_themes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Previous: Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

Remember you can participate on our weekly challenge!

>Theme: Dracula tits
>Genre (options):
>heist
>college
>family sitcom
>Deadline: 07/27

Feel free to use your creativity to shape in any way the theme and genres.

Good luck to everyone!

That's not how you signal you can't talk, silly! he's gonna think it's a threat.
call it Indie Visual or .. SteamMates

instead of enforcing tripfaggery, why not just have each person name their comic that they enter with and refer to that?

>Poor Merchant thinks it's a threat and gets nervous
>Pike realizes she fucked up and tries to calm him down

Oh no it would be even more cute

and then if someone else uploads an edited version, how would you prove it wasnt you, just trying to sabotage?

Nothing wrong with using trips for stuff like this because of reasons like what said

you just need to use a name for the three posts you will use to post your comic pages, it doesn't mean all the time.

comic from last thread.

Now, i fix the typos and stuff.

I'm sorry if the name thing has made some misconceptions! you don't NEED a name to enter, just a way for us to know who's comic is from who in the voting.
Some user told me before to remove it and I forgot while making this poster but I'll change it for the next one!
Again sorry and don't let this prevent you from joining the challenge!

Still going with inking. 2 pages to go before lettering, toning and PUBLISHING

that's a risk some people could have the option to take. we have archives any way. there's no real point to exclude people, it's just for fun. if you want to, that's fine.

oh, good

Hey wait, howcome it's not the fixed version?

FUCK WRONG PAGE.

I fixed the cat's eyes. I didn't export the page tho. I'm a french retard

We could accept anonymous if people dont want to pick a one-time alias I guess

Vraiment? Didn't realize you were writing this from experience.

is that intented to be a double page? Cause seeing the back of the head of someone isn't really interresting... :/

I'd do it like pic related.

Yes, I'm a french retarded user. I'm proud of it!

Anyone know a good way to set up a good comic tumblr? An user in the last thread showed me a good way to start, but it's lookin a bit generic.

Anything I could do to make this have some zazz?
frankiementalcomics.tumblr.com/

I'm fucking retarded tonight.

Pic related.

didnt mean to quote that random deleted post, whoops.

>is that intented to be a double page? Cause seeing the back of the head of someone isn't really interresting... :/
yeah, i thought it would be needless to do another front shot considering i've already done a few.
learning is part of the plan so thanks

Got this page finished today, still fleshing the characters some more. I really should build a stock of pages, but as for now simply meeting the deadline is enough work.

Also, I've uploaded all the pages in spanish, if someone is interested.

Next month I'll try my best to make an extra page each week.

that should be put IN an extra egg, but if Guadalupe is meant to be less than fluent, that is in-character.

That black haired cat girl is hella cute, man.

I didn't want her speech to be perfect, but if any other character has some grammatical error, then is my my mistake.

post it or you are no man

[reposting the post because i was an idiot and had a thread name in my name don't judge me].

So I have a webcomic that pretty much boils down to a fan-comic to an animated movie, taking place in the same world it was made.

I really ought to be working on the next page, but I have that sense of "why" going on.

Anyone else get that vibe?

Also it's a comic to the movie Zootopia, so yeah also I hope im using spoiler right

post it

Thanks man. I'm enjoying your stuff too, brings me back memories when I was a bit of a metalhead in high school.

I would but my art style literally changed so much from page 1 to now that it's hard to show.

Page 1s art is horrible in comparison.

How do I find an artist when I'm a broke college student? I've been on fiver and that's too expensive

Draw it anyway.

Some webcomics have the worst art style but get away with it by having good writing.

QUICK,

Describe your comic as if it were the description on the back cover of a book.

go to tapastic's forum and make a post begging for an artist. 50/50 chance you'll get a mediocre one

"good" - david attenborough

That's a review, not description.

Aaaaaaa fuck it,

the comic is called Things Just Happen.

Centers around a hyena in Zootopia, and the experiences she has when the city goes through some drastic changes the pred scare duh.

My art skills are pretty shit. I can do head shots fine but my anatomy is terrible

sounds good i guess

Nice trips user

draw it anyway, one way to get better is doing it.

if it's for a one-shot or something short, or even the drawthreads here (or on /tg/,Sup Forums, whatever other boards have decent drawthreads besides /ic/)
if it's long term, pic related. good fucking luck.

Someone spot me a (you)?

no
AW FUCK

Fuck him, the guy's a sperg. It's just a handle, you're an author posting your work for fuck's sake. Let him go back to Sup Forums

Well so far it looks passable and not furry shit, so keep going

Do you mean by this? tumblr.com/theme/39018

You can combine both that theme and some css shit tumblr.com/docs/en/custom_themes

If I wanted to make a disgustingly furry comic, I'd just go and make one.

I upload it on Tumblr and Smackjeeves... for some reason.

I really mean it when I say that the original pages look like shit compared to the newer ones [that also suck but I digress]

Merchant is the kind of guy who would steal all the health and mana potions before a boss room and then sell them at the door.

a 20 minute practice sesh from earlier. Might go back in and fuck with it again later. I'm working on getting better at coloring so I found a b/w inked pages to try and play around with. obviously the original poops on me be I assume he took his time to make it look pretty.

I made it look more like dragon ball

righto, will remember in the future
yeah she's gonna get hella fanart

Yours just definitely looks more like old school hand-colored comics. More flat color and whatnot.

That's what I was thinking about going in and adding to, maybe some shading to give it some depth as well as some clouds or lighting in the sky.

Our first book is done and out in the wild for one of the comics I do. Another book I am involved with launches this friday.

Excited to have those knocked out and out of my way so I can relax a bit.

I can do it but tell me the story and I´ll post some drafts

>"When 19-year-old emu farmer Mizu gets tired of waiting for life to happen, she takes her favorite babysitting charges out on the adventure of a lifetime!
>Taking place 11 years after the end of "Kiwi Day", this sequel carries on the story of the next generation of lazy, overpowered heroes. Its variable-length vertical-strip format required a unique "old torah scroll" form of binding, which our studies show is much more engaging than turning pages! And at over 40 pounds, you'll give your arms AND your funny bone a workout.
>Kiwi Day N: the Complete Collection is fun* for all ages!"
>*disclaimer: The author's definition of "fun" may include crude, low-resolution art, gratuitous nihongo, unbridled cussing, terrible forced puns, internet humor, boobies, naive depictions of alcohol and marijuana use, and l33t. The publisher takes no responsibility for any groaning, deflated erections, regular erections, or contagious weeaboo that may result from reading.

He looks like the kind of guy I would trust, allowing something like that to happen.

It's based on the public domain Phantom Lady and Fantomah. Basically a homage to golden age cape heroes and old pulp heroes that came before. If you're not interested in cape shit I also wanted to work on a space opera

now that's a top i can approve of. I think I'll steal it

>soda mint killer
she pours diet coke and mentos in you til your stomach explodes?

I want to make a collect-the-macguffins style adventure in the vein of Xaiolin Showdown/Bionicle/Jackie Chan Adventures/ect. in short, episodic chapters, with the characters going to a different realm to find a new powered artifact every chapter (before the deeper plot kicks in), with a team of aliens battling the humans for control over said artifacts. Is this still a viable premise these days or will it be seen as too cliche and boring? Also, what are some things I could do to spice the premise up?

Has anyone ever done or seen a racing comic? Like Motorcity in comic form?

Sadly it's just about someone killing people in a soda shop

You've already spiced it up a tad by making each one found in a different realm, I mean that's pretty nuts. An entire plane of existence to find each thing on?
Just don't make it fucking gay like most of them, make it cool like Jackie Chan Adventures.. only cooler than that.
Something that comes to mind for me is what if each of these trinkets is like, the same... thing for its realm. Like it's the keystone that holds that universe together or allows transportation to it or whatever. That would explain why these aliens want them, they're from our universe too but somewhere else, yknow.. maybe only the equivalent of earth in each realm has portals because we're speshul

It's hard enough to make a fight satisfying in a comic since it takes so much more panel real estate than dialogue does, I can't imagine a race working, when races are already boring on tv and in movies... i mean, when the race is the focus. If the race is PART of the story, it's fun. But racing as a sport is the most brain-dead activity imaginable.

The world could use more tops like this

What the fuck is going on with the perspective in the middle panel? The counter is four-dimensional.

I assumed it was an obtuse angle

Unless that angle symmetrical arrow shaped point at the center that just happens to slant downward, nah, that ain't what's happening.

So are you interested?

>angle symmetrical arrow shaped point at the center that just happens to slant downward
what?

Thank you. Advice on making the story "not fucking gay"? I will say ship pandering is pretty much a no-go since it attracts just the worst kinds of people possible, so I think that'll help cull a lot of problems. I'd prefer to avoid attracting "fandom" types.

Well, obviously there would be story besides "GOTTA MAKE ANOTHER LEFT TURN", street racing would just be one of the vehicles for conflict.

I was just thinking how autsitically cool it'd be to make a comic about race-cars and not fuck it up, because as you've said, action in general is hard to do.

Actually I was going to suggest focusing on the hot aspects, but the important thing is making danger and action feel real, the fantastic aspects not seem silly, and for god's sake if you're going to give things foreign names to sound cool, actually look up real ones, instead of what two of your three examples did.

I'll keep it in mind. Thanks, user.

bump

maybe, i need advice on making something interesting.

add a crab pinching a woman's vagina

I'm pretty bad at sketching digitally, things just lack focus and I can't get strong movement going. Problem is I only have a small scanner which means I gotta draw on 8.5x11 paper and I'm not so good at small scale details. Especially when my gottdang blue pencils don't erase.
Any tips for stronger digital sketches? I have a medium intuous pro and I use SAI.

I would suggest drawing each panel separately then instead of all on one paper.
but forget all that if you're interested in digital sketching. Just go big and do exactly what you'd normally do. You'll never go back to paper again, once you can not just erase but resize, rotate, cut and paste bits together... I would suggest trying either really thick or really thin lines, depending on your sketching style. Also, as you go, if you think a sketch is getting there but you want to sort of go over it in more detail before the lineart stage, lighten the whole thing (or just the parts that need refining) and then draw over it.

Yeah I understand all those advantages and I've made use of them in my complete pages. It's just that the act of sketching itself I find incredibly difficult digitally. I'll just keep trying though.

I know it can be tricky zooming in and out for sure. I'd say do a VERY vague sketch while totally zoomed out, so you at least have the scale right, then zoom in a little for each part

I'll give that a shot for page 4 and see how it works. For 3 at least I'm just gonna sketch over parts that need a bit more detail.
I'd love to bring my sketch quality to something around pic related but I feel like I can capture it with paper size and the rendering to be redundant given my digital coloring.

I mean, that is not a sketch anymore.. that is a finished product, emphasis on the pro

It's sorta a sketch. It's the pencils which are then given to the inker and/or colorist to complete.

I really envy people who can't into backgrounds

>can't

Why did I fuck up like this? I mean "people who can".

TRAITOR

working on some characters

A total cutie!

WHO AND FUCK NOW. user THAT WHITE HAIRED CAT HAS THE SAME HAIRSTYLE OF MY CAT OC

>Merchant is the kind of guy who would steal all the health and mana potions before a boss room and then sell them at the door.

That is actually really smart business

i have some screencaps of some sketched pages i've done i felt like sharing. i have more for those interested as usual.

the comic concept im still holding back since not fully sketched out, but i can answer some minor question on the sketches i planned to share if anyone cares.

criticism as always is very welcomed.

Fashion magazines are a thing dude. Also that's no cat, just a fox.

Wait, white hair is supposed to be a fox?

Foxes have long, thin muzzles as well as that distinctive pattern around the mouth. Cats have shorter, rounder faces in comparison.

Even if she's an arctic fox instead of a British red fox, she should have a longer muzzle.
I'd just call her a cat and have done with it.

P1 - She shot those fuel barrels!

any of you cucks ready for a brand new page of GOTH GRILL Z? I know I am, goth yeah mother fuckers!

When there's about 6 story ideas in the "cartoon/comics idea thread" that are just renditions of your story lmao godamnit give me a minute Ill get to way of the gun in a minute I got shit going on in life I'll get to it!!!