Comics and Cartoons Video Games

This thread is for individuals to post their favorite vvideo game that was based on either comic books are cartoons. Nothing is off limits. Be honest and post what you like. Also, this is an oppurtunity for Sup Forumsmrades to get exposed to games they may not have played before.

First up is the game Freedom Force for the PC. I would never have thought to combine retro aesthetics that has a huge Kirby Vibe (Scioli did the art) and real time strategy games. I never got to beat it as a kid and the Steam version can go suck an egg. The plot is amazing and all of teh characters have their own distinct looks, powers, and origins. Love this game.

Everything about this game is awesome, from the atmosphere to the gameplay, and it makes me upset we'll never get a third one.

They had plans to do games set in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, plus an "Ultimate" version.

Spider-Man for the PSX. This was the first Spider-Man game that actually made me feel like spider-man. The web swinging might be a bit archaic and some of the controls are not as precise as they could be. ANd while the game certainly isn't the most technically progressive game of the PSX era, but the game provides in every other area.

For a PSX game, the models were as good as they could be. The designs of all teh characters were unique.Rino Romano did an exceptional job as Spider-Man and the rest of the characters were strong as well. The game was finely tuned with interesting mission design and boss battles that were genuinely intersting. Not just from a gampelay perspective, but a story one as well. And on the topic of story, I loved it. Beyond ridiculous in some parts (Ock and Carnage teeming up), but it sticks the landing and respects the spider-man lore. Factor in comics to collect, Spider-Costumes to unlock, and multiple diffiuclty modes that encouraged replayabiity (I played that game into the ground and I'd play it again in a heartbeat if I got my PSX emulator set up). It's sequel may not have been as well received as its predecessor but still a worthy sequel. The game was PUNISHING in every way shape and form but it took the unshockable from the first game and continued to add more content. Best part of the game was picking your favorite suit and customizing the powers to your liking. Absolutely amazing.

My man!!! I just snagged the PC copy of the game on GOG because I heard it wasn't plagued with bugs adn with the exception of the occasional crash here and there, it remains an absolute standout in the catalog of PC game.

Keeping up with Spider-Man games, Ultimate SPider-Man took everything that was good about Spider-Man 2 and improved in almost every way. While the web swinging wasn't as skill based as the prior entry the art style, music, and story elevate this game to my top ten comic video games easy.

Also while this is game is a SPider-Man game through and through, a good part of the missions expanded on Venom's story and allowed you to literally eat people and face off against SHIELD agents, Electro, Wolverine and ore. To put it bluntly, I fucking loved this game and recommend to anyone looking for a game like Spider-Man 2 you can't go wrong with this one.

Oh hi.
Don't mind me. Just posting the all time greatest game based on a Marvel property.

You know you loved gorilla gliding.

I know some might say the other Arkham Games expand the core formula as well as providing a more "epic" story, Arkham Asylum was an absolute gem of a game. The series is based on its own unique lore (The Arkham Universe is in my top 3 of Batman Iterations) which means they have the benefit of paying tribute to the source matrerial as well as doing there own thing.

On the gameplay side of things I felt it had a Spliter Cell esque vibe for the stealth sections and being able to pick off your enemies one by one as they continue to panic is the pinacle of what Batman is. And this is without even touching the freeflow combat that allows you to effortlessly take on legions of enemies while simultanously using all of your gadgets to accompany your brutal punches and kicks. Last but not least, the setting of Arkham Asylum is suitably creepy and designed masterfully allowing for hidden goodies behind every corner.

I adore that game. The followup Radical games prototype and prototype 2 are good in their own right, but playing as the Hulk was in short....liberating. The campaign was written by Paul Jenkns when he was at the top of his game and the story itself wasmuch longer than anyone expected it to be. Lastly, making it open world is something I was worried about and then they hulk stomped my worries into the dust.

>allowed you to literally eat people
Actually it MAKES you eat a child in the tutorial. More than that, it's the "MY BALOOOOOOOOOON!" kid from Spider-Man 2.

Remember when video games could be fun like that?

Not really. Most games purposely take the "fun" out so they can sell it to you at full price.
I'm 99% sure that if Ultimate Spider-Man were to be released today they'd make the entire Venom portion DLC.

Also Earthworm Jim! ALthough the cartoon series came later it remains one of the most unique games on this list. Most stage switches up or modifies the game play in ways not typically associated with a platformer (Snot a problem) the art style is uniquely its own. The only negative I can think of is that it is PUNISHING! You will die. A lot. But the stages are intricalely set up with secrets and other power ups so that you won't necessarily hate your next go at Peter Puppy.

Not trying to shill, but the game is available at a hevily discounted price on GOG. You can get it, the sequel, and the 3D game for less than 7 darah.

GOG is just great overall.
I love that they make sure their games will work before putting them up for sale, unlike Steam.
Their optional client is pretty neato, too.

While the game was plagued with bugs when it launched that made the game unplayable, in my eyes it is now fixed and remains one of my favorite Superhero games of all time. It may not have as much depth as people would like but it combined Diablo mechancis and Comic book Lore and made a beautiful creation.

It's sequel has been lambasted by critics because it was far from Revolutionary but I'd argue it has better and more diverse combat than the prior game and any game that allows me to make a Thunderbolts lineup that includes Songbird, Venom, Penance, and Osborn is A-Okay in my book.

I had no idea they had a client. I'm now going to look into that.

To anyone in this thread, has there ever been an actually good superman game? He's my favorite hero by has terrible games and I'm just hoping there is something to scratch that Superman itch

This game had a lot going for it but it still needed a lot of work to make it a fantastic game. Still fun though and would be a good rental for a weekend. If your computer can emulate I'd recommend checking it out.
>Superman 64 was a travesty in every sense of the word.

Can anyone weigh in on whether or not this game is worth it? I very very briefly played the prior Lego games but I don't feel like I have an established opinon on them. Every trailer for the game looks aamzing but I've learned to never ever ever ever trust a trailer. Even reviewers aren't always to be trusted because their paycheck is dependent upon giivng certain games good reviews (just ask Jeff Gerstmann).

>I had no idea they had a client. I'm now going to look into that.
Yeah, I didn't until recently.
It's entirely optional, but it really helps keep all your GOG games in one place.

I played through the Wii U version.
Aside from a bug, one that I only had because I didn't update the game, that prevented me from getting 100%, I had a blast.
Flying around an open city as the Silver Surfer was fantastic, even if he was a LEGO guy.

FYI, it takes ages to get a character with magnetic powers to unlock magnetic-related things, similar to having to wait to unlock a dark side character in the LEGO Star Wars games.
Although, thinking about it now, it's not such a bad thing because it shows one of the things that carry over across the LEGO games giving them character, rather than them being pure cashed-in shitshows.
Also LEGO Polaris a cute.

So in your professional opinion. Is this game worth the twenty dollars it's listed on steam or am I better off just waiting for a price drop? One of friends swears by this game but failed o offer any real insight as to why. His taste is also really sketchy so I don't know what to think

Oops. Meant to respond to this guy

20 bucks ain't bad if you have it spare and don't want any other games more, but if you're light on cash, just wait for it to go on sale.
It is a very fun game, though.

Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions was shit

Only because it was so short.
I have a feeling that you're one of the people that hate it because it didn't have an open city.

Can you still get all the custom heroes for FF? As a kid I loved downloading, and never playing, every single character I recognized.

From my understanding, yes. The game still has the ability to be modded to hell and back. That coupled with the fact that GOG also has the sequel makes me a very happy camper.
>I remember someone making the entire justice league in Freedom Force and I gotta say, they looked good. I mean literally, how can anyone at this box art and not feel compelled to take a look?

and that ending, man, that fucking ending!

I want more games that would let me create OC characters.
Rumble Room in 2 is the most fun I've had with creating anything in a game in ages since custom missions in SWAT 4.

Not him, but I hated it and I hate open cities in anything that isn't Saints Row or made by Rocktar.
It's so fucking boring and repetitive gameplay-wise. Every single mission drags for far longer than it should and the humor tries too hard to recapture PS1 game's charm and only falls flat on its face.

It's probably one of the best if not the best TT Lego games.