How do I start with Disney comics? Since the ducktales thread talking about them I got interested

How do I start with Disney comics? Since the ducktales thread talking about them I got interested

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_comics_by_Don_Rosa
mega.nz/#F!FIsGjRqI!agUaaMKQ8F-t42fTjOkIGw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

DON ROSA, all you need to know

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_comics_by_Don_Rosa

Donald is better than Mickey

Thanks, I`ve read life and times because someone did a storytime and it was glorious.
Any comic you recommend? The only thing about him that I have read is Pk.

If you're interested in Mickey Mouse, Floyd Gottfredson's newspaper serials are considered his definitive comic stories. "Mickey Mouse Outwits the Phantom Blot" is probably the best jumping on point (and is arguably one of the best arcs in Gottfredson's run), but if you're not comfortable with gratuitous in-your-face racism or absurdly dark content (suicides, murders, etc. all getting played straight) you might be better off skipping over a lot of his stuff. However if you do enjoy the whole "everyman hero/detective/adventurer" characterization for Mickey he establishes, you probably won't have a hard time finding stuff through reprints in "Walt Disney's Comics & Stories", "Mickey Mouse Adventures", and etc. Mickey's really a mixed bag in terms of quality outside of Gottfredson, but his Italian comics are said to be pretty serviceable too. IDW's translated a few of them recently, though I haven't really followed them extensively enough to get a solid consensus on their overall quality.

If you're interested in the "Duckverse" (Donald Duck, Uncle $crooge, and their supporting cast) - start off with Carl Barks, 'the good duck artist'. "Christmas on Bear Mountain" ($crooge McDuck's 1st appearance) is probably the most logical jumping on point, but it's far from his best work. There's honestly little to no continuity between his adventures, but despite their episodic format they're fun as fuck and arguably some of the most consistently great adventure stories you'll ever read. Don Rosa is also a formidable successor, but imo his work carries stronger weight if you're already well familiarized with enough of $crooge and Donald's previous adventures and their supporting cast/antagonists to appreciate the continuity he goes out of his way to painstakingly establishes for them. Also, if you're interesting in Darkwing Duck: everything up to that infamous DuckTales crossover arc was pretty good, but that doesn't actually have anything to do with the "canon" Duckverse at all.

>if you're not comfortable with gratuitous in-your-face racism
I`m not white but I couldn´t care less if it has that kind of themes, people's skin is too thin this days.
I`m more interested in duck comics, but thanks too you I´ll give Mickey a chance.
I know there are duck comics from a lot of countries that lack an official traslation (especially Italia), do you know if there is a site with fan traslations?

I'm pretty sure IDW's put out a few official translations for stuff like Duck Avengers, but outside of that, no idea.

For Duck Comics, I started with "Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" even though it was targeted more towards longtime fans.

You can find it as part of Fantagraphics "Don Rosa" Library (volumes 4 and 5).

There's an advantage to starting here, as Don Rosa's accompanying story notes point out the references and guide you in seeking out the classic duck stories that inspired the series.

The fantagraphics collections are also a good place for other Duck comics, as they have a "Carl Barks Library" set of collections.

If you're a completionist, you might want to start from volume one of the Carl Barks library.

Keno Don Rosa and Carl Barks are sort of the two "canonical" duck artist, but of course there's a lot more out there.

IDW just published five issues of the 90s Duck Avenger series (Paperinik New Era) as well as the original Duck Avenger story from the 60s. I saw all those issues still on the rack at my LCS this weekend.

Papernik New Era is a little more serious than you'd expect a "Donald Duck as a superhero" comic to be. It's more or less a straight superhero story with funny animal characters.

Unfortunately, the first few issues didn't sell so it's been canceled, and fan scanlations have been taken down to "support the official release" so it's tough to find.

This is also a good time to get into the new stuff, as they just launched a new Duck Tales series to tie into the new cartoon.

Just note: as a general rule, anything branded as Duck Tales is sort of an ersatz version, not a "real" Duck comic.

For an individual story, "Guardians of the Lost Library" by Don Rosa is really good (it's also in volume 5 of the Don Rosa library).

Sadly IDW canned the DA and other disney comics traslations (at leat for a while) thanks anyway.

IDW just published five issues of the 90s Duck Avenger series (Paperinik New Era).
I think you mean Paperinik New Adventures, New Era are the new comics Topolino is publihing. Also I have the link for the fan traslations, you can find it on the archive. I finished New Adventures last friday. I enjoy it a lot, but I noticed many continuity errors and the last 2 isues are pretty weird (I know is to set up Pk2 but I`m at Issue 8 and nothing has been explained).
Thank for the recommendations.

You are right. I always get those two mixed up.

Been ages since I tried storytiming here.

If anyone needs a link to the PKNA fan translations, they're here.

mega.nz/#F!FIsGjRqI!agUaaMKQ8F-t42fTjOkIGw

Thanks man. Is this just a one shot?

No, it's a recurring series in Italy. This isn't the first one, but due to the gimmick of silent film, it was the easiest for me to scanlate. There's a few others easily found in PDF online, but sadly the most interesting ones (showing stuff like 1920s Scrooge and the like) are harder to find scans of.

There, done. Just a random story I scanlated the other day. Posting it since it's relevant enough, and to counter the deluge of "just read Rosa", which while not necessarily bad advice, is reductive- there's so much more to life than Rosa!

Thanks again, is this the only one translate it?

That's the only one I translated, yeah. I've a few other in PDFs, but Italian's hard for me to translate. May try to find them in Portuguese scans instead.

Thanks, hope IDW can continue the translation of this comics.

Well, start in the first place. They've not touched any of the Fantomallard stuff beyond giving him the name "Fantomallard" in Donald's first Duck Avenger story.

Yeah you are right.

The Ducks are the biggest part of it because they exploded in Italy and the rest of Europe.
Start with The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, by Don Rosa. Most of it is in volumes 4 and 5 of the Fantagraphics Don Rosa Library. IDW used to sell Life & Times as it's own thing, but they lost the rights.
So, unless you can find a copy of Life & Times, or just find a download, you're going to have to wait a while for the collection to progress to get one or two stories that were written at a later time.

Once you're gripped by Life & Times, go on to read more of Don Rosa, then back to his inspiration, Carl Barks. Who also has his own Fantagraphics collection.

I read a few issues of the ongoing Scrooge series by IDW, it was alright.
But here in the English speaking world, we're cut off from the bulk of the stories because they never got big, so they were never printed and translated.

Italy probably has the major assortment of stories between one-shot and mini-series.

I add to the series quoted in the thread also X-mickey (maybe i start a storytime) and Double Duck.

>X-mickey
What is about?

Mickey interact with an alternate world of the supernatural being assisted by a Goofy-like werewolf named Pipwolf and an albino mouse named Manny.

storytime here