Serious question here....why are anthro characters coming back in cartoons...

Serious question here....why are anthro characters coming back in cartoons? Back in the day cartoons would use furry characters because they were "easier to draw" or you could get around the censors by using them.

But with the advent of movies like Zootopia, where Disney apparently had to create an entire engine to simulate how fur moved, aren't anthro characters more difficult to animate now than humans? Eliminating one of their biggest advantages?

Basically my question is, are there any advantages left to using anthro characters over human ones?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=SevkN6detWo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They're not. You know that, right? Name five currently running cartoons with animal characters or anthros. Maybe you can think of five, but it damn well won't be quick. We're in a drought of anthro cartoons.

Movies still count, perhaps, but even then it's not as common as you think.

>why are anthro characters coming back in cartoons?
Are they, though? I'm not noticing anything above average at all.

Anthro characters allow the viewer to disassociate themselves from the characters and see them as they are without prejudice. It's easier to deliver all sorts of ideological messages through anthro characters. Zootopia isn't new to it. Classics like Animal Farm do it.

>are there any advantages left to using anthro characters over human ones
Yes. Antros are cute

>not realizing that human's anthro every character in a story to humanize and draw the audience in.

Anthros sidestep racial political bullshit, and that's hard to put a pricetag on.

Avoid identity politics while allowing anyone to self-insert.

Bam

People like them.
It is really that simple. Let's not forget that not only was Zootopia a massive hit, but so was Sing. Which was a huge surprise to me. But clearly people like cute animal people.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=SevkN6detWo

Because furries
THERE IS THAT THE ANSWER YOU WERE FISHING FOR?

>Serious question here....why are anthro characters coming back in cartoons?

People who became furry from 80s and 90s cartoons are now in positions of power

>Oscar winner Eddy Redmayne basically said he's a furfag

Any other celebs come out or hinted at having furry crushes? Eddy is the first one to be so open about it.

That's how many images on e621 are tagged with the character Judy Hopps

Y E S I W O U L D

Just last year:
Kung Fu Panda 3
Sing
Zootopia
Storks
Angry Birds
Ice Age 20 or whatever the fuck
Rock Dog
Ratchet and Clank if you count alien animals are furries
Norm of the North and Wild Life if you consider talking animals among humans "furry"

>coming back

They were ALWAYS around, just because Disney suddenly made a movie with furries dosnt mean they went anywhere. It's just they aren't as popular as Disney brand.

It's stealth zootopia thread, isn't it?

And what of the future? 2016 is gone, friend. Those big posters with all of those furry movies? That's the past.

And television animation in particular has no big furry cartoons. Gumball is the closest thing. There is no Swat Kats or Tiny Toon Adventures. The 90s were far bigger for furry cartoons.

Ferdinand
Blazing Samurai
Nut Job 2
Pony 2D Movie
I don't know if Surfs Up 2 is theatrical release
Big Bad Fox
Sahara

Also Ducktales is coming out this year. We Bare Bears and Lion Guard still exist.

We're not in "short supply" of furry movies. We only are if you compare it to the 50's or 90's where there was an oversaturation of talking animal shows/movies. Majority of 90's was people trying to rip off Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry.

Half of those movies are already out, and nobody is looking at Blazing Samurai or The Nut Job 2 as a beacon of hope.

This thread was made under a false premise. Zotopia didn't herald in a golden age of furry movies. They aren't lining up to make more furry movies. It's not happening.

>sing
>good
But user, the movie manipulates people and its bland. Some YouTuber told me so.

>stealth Zootopia thread
Stealth Judy thread actually.

Manipulative, eh, I couldn't really say

But bland is a fair enough description

Didn't say it was good.
Said it did well at the box office......Even though I did watch it and thought it was okay.

You realize stuff "coming back" takes at least 3 - 5 years for it to actually happen in full, right? Zootopia just happened last year. Studios still need the chance to catch up and make the projects that capitalize on furry animals.

Come back in 2020 and see if there's an increase in anything before making the ultimate decision that Zootopia did nothing because there wasn't a flood of products in 18 months.

What about the possibility of posting other anthro girls? To give the thread some variety?

>no race
>sympathetic
>attributed qualities for better character design
Stop it with the furry boogeyman, anthros are a smart stylistic choice.

>Serious question here....why are anthro characters coming back in cartoons?

Because it's hot shut up

>girls

It's bland no doubt but waifus, man.

I think most people are bringing back to the anthro characters is because, Well children like it and they like some of dat good money man. After all that's the goal for a business to make money. That's all I want to say.

Serious question here....why are pagan traditions are coming back in the world?

Hot damn, where are you taking those goal posts, user? You're really on the fucking move. Godspeed man, and remember to never ever concede any point you ever try to make.

Anthro characters are being revived both because it's an easy in with the child market, and because for the most part they are still easier to draw if you don't go to Disney levels of quality.

I'm talking about the future and he brought up the past. Sahara is out on Netflix and Surf's Up 2 already came out.

In 2016, people harped on about how there were like 30 movies. But it was a fluke. And nobody can refuse my point about television animation. All of the big networks are mainly focusing on human cartoons.

due to an error my previous post was incomplete

would you pet a bune

Would she pet you?

People just realize the Roman Empire was the greatest civilization in the world followed up with the Carthaginian empire, followed up with all the cool cats out there that listen to Ween

There definitely is not a deluge of new furry-centric media but it's definitely coming, Sing is already set to get a sequel and Peter Rabbit of all things is getting a movie in 2018. As for TV series, the Sly Cooper franchise is set to get its own cartoon in the future so there's more furry content.

>Basically my question is, are there any advantages left to using anthro characters over human ones?
Well, on top of what others have said, it's also because you can get incredible variety with animals. You can easily use animal species to indicate a characters personality before you show it among othner things

Actually, professional army aside, the Celts had something a lot better. And so did the Norsemen. And everyone else.

Read some (non-Roman) history.

That's a sexy pig.

Kids like animals, kids beg their parent for toys of shit they saw in TV, parents buy shit that looks innocent and childish to their kids to keep them distracted, companies that designed this thing rakes in the money.

Add a lazy song cover or two and you are golden.

Animalistic stuff sells.

>Read some (non-Roman) history.

>Celts
>Being able to write

lmao, done

>stealth zootopia thread

Im ok with it - I miss the old threads

they went to shit after the documentary release. There's nothing to return now.

We can always just start anew

no.

those characters are ripped off just so you know all of Zootopia is.

1 easier to draw

2 easier to make mundane, tired plots interesting again, ie make the A-Team a group of escaped genetically engineered super soldiers on the run.

>pig milf
I would taste her bacon

Remember when Zootopia came out and Disney basically normalised fursonas for a few weeks? Endless twitter posts from normies who have never seen a furry posting "themselves if they were a zootopia citizen"

We had a fucking "if you were an animal what would you be" group talk at the next work meeting after it came out

is cars classed as anthro? are they technically anthropomorphized?

buns are halal, remember it!

>are they technically anthropomorphized?
yes

They didn't market it at all in my country. People were unaware of it's existence months after the release. The only people who watched it were children, animation fans and actual furries. A furcon rented a cinema

There was this other actress who claimed to be attracted to Robin Hood during the same interview with Redmayne. Whether she was genuine or just trying to help Eddie save face is anyone's guess, but it was still a great gesture from her.

Only zootopia uses the "furengine", so the "cutting corners and getting around censors"-point is still valid.

>when THICK NECKS are my fetish
___ and _____ have ruined me man

It was an icnredibly cute interview.

TFW no Armello action figures...

we all know what would happen if that was to happen
>tfw the actual community is quite comfy but is inevitably lobbed together with the general video game furry autists

James Gunn.

Maybe not action figures but...

Wrong.
Production of the movie was documented. That total recall writer is a fraud.

good but for now this sand based 3d printed is still a bit "meh" in detail.

A real life boardgame based on it can be interesting

If something is "anthropomorphised", it means it has been given human characteristics. Speech, emotions, thoughts, as well as a bipedal humanoid form and/or facial features, are all human traits. It is these traits that humans find appealing, hence we seek out and recognise human appearances in non-human things (see: all those pictures of inanimate objects that look like faces).

For most people (i.e. normies and casuals), it is the human traits that an animal/car/plant/etc character has that they find appealing, in combination with the novelty of these traits being exhibited by a non-human thing.

Humans have been anthropomorphising anything and everything since the dawn of time. It's an intrinsic part of human nature.

Only furries use the term "anthro" to refer to animal characters. To a connoisseur of comics and cartoons, they are simply cartoon characters.

This

>actual community is quite comfy
How is it? And how is the actual game? I didn't get it because it didn't look like my kind of game

Anthro translates to 'human'.
>I'm drawing anthros!
No, you are fucking not. You are drawing anthropomorphs

Enough pedantry.
You know full well that "anthro", in this context, is short for "anthropomorphs".

Nobody says "I'm drawing anthros!" while sketching Batman, John Constantine or Lara Croft.

>Anthros sidestep racial political bullshit, and that's hard to put a pricetag on.
Doubly so in a movie like Zootopia, where they're trying to be "current" and pushing a Why Can't We All Just Get Along message. The flick would never work with human characters, certainly not as a kids movie.

>aren't anthro characters more difficult to animate now than humans?

Anthro characters by definition have what amounts to bipedal human rigs with a few tiny exceptions here and there (e.g. optional digitigrade legs for some species). Same walk cycles, same expressions. Consider your pic: someone was able to teach themselves Blender and their first project in it was recreating a rigged Judy that's remarkably accurate in geometry, expressions and even a decent fur shader.

As to "why anthros, why now?" it's not complicated.
-- Cartoons depict what's not possible IRL. Talking animals is ez modo, and no studio worth its salt didn't build its empire off of talking animals from the outset.
-- There's an instant emotional bond to animal characters that hooks audiences. No culture on Earth doesn't have fables. None.
-- Animators enjoy the challenge and writers enjoy making animal puns.

All that puffery about "we had to create a whole new engine" is standard Pixar operating procedure. Remember that Pixar's not just a studio, it's a 3D company in charge of defining and refining industry standards like Renderman. It's their job to create and improve render engines.

This seems like the appropriate place to ask this question. Anyone know what level of anthropomorism (yes the scale I found calls it furry, it was the only one I could find) is the most popular in cartoons/comics?

The toon level. So, none of those.

Around 3 and 4 on that chart, in Western Media. I'd say classic Looney Tunes are about 4, Disney nearer to 3.

1 and 2 are more common in Japan than the West.

5 is uncommon, but present in things like the Farthing Wood series, and Watership Down.

6 is pretty much only seen in live action media like Flipper, Gentle Ben, Lassie, Benji, The Littlest Hobo and other shows with animal stars. (Even though they're real animals, there is a small amount of anthropomorphism for storytelling purposes.)

There aren't levels, retard.

>Disney nearer to 3
Wrong

How so? I was thinking that Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy wear clothes, so are nearer to full humans, compared to Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck who don't wear anything apart from gloves.

There are better charts than that, as that's too heavily focused on one specific pokemon. But I think as a rough overview, it will suffice. If anyone can find a better chart, particularly the original one that's based off, please post it.

The question was about the degree of anthropomorphism, not whether they were furry or not.

>1 and 2 are more common in Japan than the West.
you mean 1
kemono barely exists over there

This should be the original chart.

Also in terms of the OP I think the resurgence has to do with many factors including nostalgia, those who saw anthro characters as a kid and thought their childhood was a more innocent time are going back to what they knew.

The point is that the variety of design is so fucking wide that you can't make a scale.

International markets. Easy to cross cultural and racial boundries when you make a story in which the characters arn't even human, modern movie markets are all about trying to snag those big asian markets (and that means not randomly offending them or putting them off with black guys, or ghosts, or various other odd culture hangups.)

Thanks for that. I also found it on the first try easily enough.

Most Western animal characters fall around 2.5 or 3.5.
After that, 4 is still relatively common, while 5 is rare but not unheard of.
1 is practically non-existent in the West, unless you consider that to be humans with animal themed costumes, which would then put it on par with 4.

True, but for the purposes of this conversation, we can make a rough estimate and approximate to whole numbers, rather than quibbling over whether Mickey Mouse is 2.87598 or 3.121119.

Off the top of my head -
5 = Lion King, Animals of Farthing Wood, Balto
4 = Yogi Bear, Bugs Bunny, Secret of Nimh
3 = Mickey Mouse, Rocko's Modern Life
2 = SWAT Kats, Rimba Racers

Can't think of any Western examples of 1, unless you count something like Zoobilee Zoo or the musical Cats, but they're live action.

horse show and 101 dalmations

No, that's 5. 1 is just humans with animals ears and tails.

oh fuck I didnt read the chart

Thundercats would be a 1; being feline aliens they're more than just costumed humans. Maybe a 0.9 as they just have pointed ears and no tails.

Why don't we ever get an anthro/human worlds in cartoons/comics?

Every "all-ages" cartoons I can think of, if they have anthro characters are usually in their own special anthro world, are some special group (Road Rovers) or a unique individual in a human world. Hell the only human/anthro world in cartoons I can think of is Bojack Horseman.

Cringy as fuck lol
>someone typed this out genuinely thinking they were funny
Yikes

>Looney Tunes
>Regular Show
>Wander
>We Bare Bears
>Gumball

I suppose there was The Looney Tunes Show.
Bugs, Daffy and all were a minority in a human world, but they weren't part of a 'special group'. They were just treated like normal citizens.

>Star vs the force of evil

I'd discount Wander Over Yonder and Gumball for not having any actual humans. And if there were, they'd be the minority in a world of aliens and bizarre characters.

Although Regular Show has its bizarre characters, they aren't as common as humans.

There is a town full of humans. There are even real life humans in Gumball's world. Gumball's town is the only place with bizarre characters.

Can someone post this represent your race or whatever gift card with judy on it, please?

it's in the racist thread.

Combination of nostalgia, interesting and fun character designs, bandwagoning off a big release (zootopia) and furries.

At face value animal characters seem extremely harmless so it's easy to slip them into media if they are your fetish, despite the fandom teetering dangerously close to mainstream recognition.

thanks

like those haha, so "relatable" webcomics.
they often have generic blank looking characters for you to project yourself onto, or it's just the author being a narcissist and self-inserting