Seriously , what went right?

ashamed to say I've not read New Superman, give me a quick rundown on it

good writers who aren't afraid of giving minorities character flaws

Kenan is actually likeable.

China make their own Justice League knock-offs

good writers who aren't afraid of giving minorities character flaws

Hes a character not a caricature

did not mean to type that twice sorry

He's a legacy character with his own personality and flaws. Marvel legacies are sold to us as perfect specimens that shit all over the original characters for the sake of lifting up their one-dimensional replacement.

it's a competently told superhero origin story that takes place in china and stars a chinese dude. His book is relatively free of bullshit drama and garbage crossovers like other minority superheroes.

people weren't expecting it to be good but it turns out actually was.

Yang is a great writer, who sets out to re-interpret core elements of Superman in a Chinese context in a Chinese setting, rather than just slap an S on an 'ethnic' 20-something New Yorker and have them go on thematically void 'adventures'.

Luen Yang actually knows Chinese culture and can write about it competently, and is just writing solid characters to boot.

This. And Kenan has actual flaws and a personality and he has his own niche and supporting cast. Also the book is not building Kenan up by shitting on Clark, Yang does not feel the need to tell us that Kenan is superior on account of being Chinese.

It's a comic book before it's a representation book or a preaching book

Yang is a recognized genius of comic book writing

Besides literally everything but the sales?

Nothing.

Also having actual cultural diversity, instead of just another middle-class American.

DC hired a decent writer and got their money's worth in return.

It was authentically Chinese, with characters I could completely believe lived in China, super powers based on Chinese mythology and religion, and a setting that felt exactly like China in a world filled with meta-humans and aliens.

Also, they didn't ruin him by shoehorning him into massive Civil War style crossovers, or make him fight villains above his level, or kill off a beloved character in a way that made it obvious they were only doing it to introduce a minority knock-off.

Yang's pacing is incredible. Every issue has an impact on the overall narrative.

And just LOOK AT THIS GUY! How can you not love him?

Yeah it's one of the few current books that reads great as a monthly

Highest Kek
Now that's a good premise

I really want to check this out, where should I start?

Issue 1.

Interestingly enough, he originally declined New Super-Man, citing that he wasn't all that familiar with Chinese culture. I guess he did his research since you can't tell reading the book

Johns is not interested in Kenan Kong, so he doesn't interfere with it like other books.

In fact the book was first announced early in development as "The Super-Man" which was changed because in his research he found Mandarin apparently doesn't have an individual word for "The".

Issue 1.
There's a little bit that's relevant, but kinda unclear that happens in the Final Days of Superman, right before Rebirth.

Kenan is cute

This

Bingo. Also, DC has a knack for making douchey or arrogant superheroes that develop into better people. See: Booster and Guy Gardner

All of these reasons above, plus Baixi and Robin-bot are delightful, plus Doomsday Godzilla.

Quite the opposite, even, in that Kenan is portrayed as very, very flawed and Clark is held up as something of an ideal for him to strive to, in his own way, in his own time. Watching him grow from an asshole into his own kind of hero is genuinely rewarding, because there's an actual process there. They didn't just slap an S on him and have him become a hero overnight; he has to earn it.

It reads even better. You should give it a shot if you haven't already. It reminds me a lot of Kesel's Superboy run, in the best way.

Just read volume 1 today. Very good. I hope Johns and Lee keep this book alive. Now I gotta check out RHATO.

green snake waifu

this book is great and is one of the few that I've never heard a negative comment from people I've recommended it to. Have all the issues and still pick up the trades. It's "shelf-worthy" imo.

did he fuck that asian chick?

>that asian chick
>the book is set in China

Everything. I'm going to be pissed when it dies.

Same. Hope it manages to hang on, thanks to Kenan appearing in Action and word of mouth but DC being DC, they are too stupid to know a good thing when they have it. They should be shouting from the rooftops about this book the way Marvel does about their much shittier ethnically diverse legacy characters.

>DC being DC, they are too stupid to know a good thing when they have it.
Please. They're having Kenan show up all over, Action, Superman, Supergirl. They're letting Yang continue well past where Marvel would've pulled the plug. The simple truth is Big Two capeshit readers don't want anything new. Kenan will be like Jamie. A great character who just never makes it to the big leagues no matter how hard they push him.